PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of Shadows variant for nigh non-magical campaign

Arkhios
2016-12-07, 06:34 AM
In a campaign where magic is far from commonplace commodity, Shadow Arts as written in Player's Handbook makes little sense since it allows you to cast so many different spells with ki. Instead, since one way to flavor Way of Shadows is to call them ninjas, why not build upon that a little more...

Way of the Ninja: (Replaces Shadow Arts)
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with longsword and scimitar, and you treat them as monk weapons. In addition, as a Bonus Action, you can spend 2 ki points to vanish in a puff of smoke, becoming invisible to targets with 5 feet of you, until the start of your next turn or until you make an attack, whichever comes first.

OR, if I decide leaving the Shadow Arts as is:

Way of the Shadow Warrior: (In addition to existing features)
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with longsword and scimitar, and you treat them as monk weapons.

For those who wondered the weapon proficiencies, Dungeon Master's Guide lists Longsword as equivalent for Katana and Scimitar as equivalent for Wakizashi.

Llama513
2016-12-27, 07:59 PM
In a campaign where magic is far from commonplace commodity, Shadow Arts as written in Player's Handbook makes little sense since it allows you to cast so many different spells with ki. Instead, since one way to flavor Way of Shadows is to call them ninjas, why not build upon that a little more...

Way of the Ninja: (Replaces Shadow Arts)
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency with longsword and scimitar, and you treat them as monk weapons. In addition, as a Bonus Action, you can spend 2 ki points to vanish in a puff of smoke, becoming invisible to targets with 5 feet of you, until the start of your next turn or until you make an attack, whichever comes first.

For those who wondered the weapon proficiencies, Dungeon Master's Guide lists Longsword as equivalent for Katana and Scimitar as equivalent for Wakizashi.

I really like that for a non magic campaign, and think that this works really nicely, I'm curious what you would do with the higher level abilities

Arkhios
2016-12-27, 09:24 PM
I really like that for a non magic campaign, and think that this works really nicely, I'm curious what you would do with the higher level abilities

I intended to keep the rest as is.

Llama513
2016-12-27, 09:29 PM
That's fair, as they aren't super spell oriented

Arkhios
2016-12-28, 04:43 AM
That's fair, as they aren't super spell oriented

Yeah, the rest of the monk abilities are more on the side of mysticism rather than pure magic.

Arkhios
2017-04-04, 11:55 PM
What if, instead of Vanish, Way of the Ninja gave you something like this:

As a bonus action you can spend 2 ki points. The first time you hit a target with a monk weapon before the end of your next turn, your attack deals extra damage depending on your level. <Otherwise this functions like the sneak attack, I'll update the relevant parts later when I'm not on the phone>