PDA

View Full Version : Shield master feat is everyone getting it wrong?

Sir cryosin
2016-12-07, 08:50 AM
So last night I was looking throw my phb at shield master feat. I didn't read anywhere that you can knock someone prone. It just says you can push a creature 5ft as a bonus action. So we're is everyone getting you can knock someone prone from?

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-07, 08:54 AM
It says you can shove a creature within 5ft of you; there's no restriction on what kind of Shove action you can use.

Addaran
2016-12-07, 08:55 AM
So last night I was looking throw my phb at shield master feat. I didn't read anywhere that you can knock someone prone. It just says you can push a creature 5ft as a bonus action. So we're is everyone getting you can knock someone prone from?

If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield.

The 5ft part is the range of your bonus action. You do a shove, wich can either knock someone prone or push them 5ft away.

edit: Shadowmonk'ed D:

Ruslan
2016-12-07, 12:25 PM
The Shield Master feat gives you the ability to Shove a creature. But what is a Shove, in D&D terms? For that, we need to read PHB pages 195-196. This will tells us that:

You make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the
target’s Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics)
check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win
the contest, you either knock the target prone or push
it 5 feet away from you.
Funny enough, it doesn't tell us that you get to choose whether to knock the target prone or push it 5'. A sufficiently obtuse reader may interpret it as DM-choice or even random-choice, but these interpretations cross into the realm of jerk-DMing, so everyone interprets it as player-choice.

Foxhound438
2016-12-07, 01:43 PM
So last night I was looking throw my phb at shield master feat.

why would you throw a book at a feat?

Jokes aside, as others said 5 ft is the range of the ability, not the effect.

Falcon X
2016-12-07, 04:23 PM
Because tripping is a type of shove.

Talamare
2016-12-09, 11:52 AM
Okay so it's agreed that everyone is getting it right.

Also, Shield Master before the attack is legal too

Ruslan
2016-12-09, 01:27 PM
Also, Shield Master before the attack is legal too
Yes, but the consensus is that after you use your bonus action to Shove, you can't use your Action for anything other than Attack. You can't, for example, Shove the enemy then use Dash to run away.

Vorpalchicken
2016-12-09, 06:47 PM
Is there a concensus? Breaking up your attack action with movement, even right at the beginning seems to be right in the rules.
Edit nm. I misunderstood. Yeah you need to take an actual attack action. Even if you waste it.