PDA

View Full Version : I want a min/max/optimized build...Halp me plz

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 10:59 AM
Greetings Traveler!

I am a DM that currently has been running a game for around a year now, recently a player started his own campaign with another group of friends and wants me to join in. He currently plays a Min/Maxed run of the mill Half-Orc Polearm Sentinel fighter in my campaign.

Now his campaign is SUPER homebrew setting, to the point that he isn't allowing me to play the character background that I wanted to use(Note: Nothing crazy, or anything of the sort...His reasoning is it's to close to another characters background)(PS: Yes I know DM rules all, I am one after all).

So in response I was hoping for some suggestions on a few suggestions for optimized builds beyond the classic, Polearm fighter..

I rolled stupidly well for stats: 18, 16, 16, 14, 10, 8. Note, I took the 10 and the 8 willingly in lue of another 2 rolls to counteract my 18 and two 16

Real goal is to complement the party, while being as big of a pain in his rear as he is in mine hahaha.

Edits:

Party build is a Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Rouge, fighter and a super flaky Barbarian who we actually don't know if he's going to play(who lives with one of the players, so we kind of have to let him come and go as he pleases)...

Only REAL restrcitions, beyond apparently all my back story lol, is No monstrous races(IE: Bugbears, Goblins etc...) and no Dragonborn/Tiefling/Volo's Races. He changed the 2 Volo's races that are in his campaign to basically, a fluffed elf, and a tall dwarf.......

Maxilian
2016-12-07, 11:02 AM
Wanna play anything in specific? (Still a Fighter with Polearms?)

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-07, 11:11 AM
What's allowed, and what do you want to minmax for? Bugbear Assassin 3 / Arcane archer 3 shoots for 14d6+3 2d6+3 and then blinds your opponent so you can slink off again and repeat. Just a random idea while I wait to hear what's up in the game.

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 11:14 AM
Wanna play anything in specific? (Still a Fighter with Polearms?)

I'd prefer not the polearm fighter because I don't actually want to copy him...

party build is a Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Rouge, fighter and a flaky Barbarian(who lives with one of the players, so we kind of have to let him come and go as he pleases)

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 11:21 AM
What's allowed, and what do you want to minmax for? Bugbear Assassin 3 / Arcane archer 3 shoots for 14d6+3 2d6+3 and then blinds your opponent so you can slink off again and repeat. Just a random idea while I wait to hear what's up in the game.

Made an edit....

Only REAL restrcitions, beyond apparently all my back story lol, is No monstrous races(IE: Bugbears, Goblins etc...) and no Dragonborn/Tiefling/Volo's Races. He changed the 2 Volo's races that are in his campaign to basically, a fluffed elf, and a tall dwarf.......

I'm assuming most UA is not allowed as well....He's a real stickler for it....it's really becoming a pain for me

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 11:25 AM
I'm assuming most UA is not allowed as well....He's a real stickler for it....it's really becoming a pain for me

Yeah, stinks to not be able to play non-playtested and unfinished material :)

But back to topic...what do you want to play? Based on the group, a Bard would be a pretty nice addition.

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 11:29 AM
Yeah, stinks to not be able to play non-playtested and unfinished material :)

But back to topic...what do you want to play? Based on the group, a Bard would be a pretty nice addition.

Haha I know lol........I dont allow 98% of the stuff either...But there is some cool stuff...>Figured i'd get the question out of the way before someone asks

Pilniscus
2016-12-07, 11:50 AM
Greetings Traveler!

I am a DM that currently has been running a game for around a year now, recently a player started his own campaign with another group of friends and wants me to join in. He currently plays a Min/Maxed run of the mill Half-Orc Polearm Sentinel fighter in my campaign.

Now his campaign is SUPER homebrew setting, to the point that he isn't allowing me to play the character background that I wanted to use(Note: Nothing crazy, or anything of the sort...His reasoning is it's to close to another characters background)(PS: Yes I know DM rules all, I am one after all).

So in response I was hoping for some suggestions on a few suggestions for optimized builds beyond the classic, Polearm fighter..

Real goal is to complement the party, while being as big of a pain in his rear as he is in mine hahaha.

Edits:

Party build is a Wizard, Cleric, Ranger, Rouge, fighter and a flaky Barbarian(who lives with one of the players, so we kind of have to let him come and go as he pleases).

Here is a core build that is good (half-elf is the way to go in my mind): Paladin 6/Bard 14... You get ninth level spell slots to burn on smiting... You can use things like searing smite in ADDITION to divine smite... you get aura of protection... you get two attacks (really you could go paladin 3/bard17 OR fighter2/paladin3/bard15 I just like aura of protection)... You get bard goodness... It has an extremely high damage potential for a few turns in a day... If you want you can take shillelagh as a bard and your only ability you would care about is CHA... You can get sacred weapon which adds CHA to HIT for 1 minute once a short rest (so your getting CHA to hit and to saves!)... going two handed fighting and taking great weapon master is great with a build like this because your HIT will be extremely high (because your adding CHA to hit)...

Fighter2/paladin6/Sorc12 is also good (you could of course omit the fighter levels but action surge is great)... You are casting spells as bonus action and the damage potential is almost as good as the above build... In one round (with action surge) you can do hundreds of of damage potentially... Again this is core only and I havent specified which feats to choose but warcaster is always good (really you want to MAX your ability score out with these builds...

Here is an extremely tanky build that has good damage output (paladins have some of the best damage output when going nova but rogue damage output is great all day long... I think even this paladin build would have a higher damage output than a dedicated disintegrate sorc build, maybe...):
Fighter3(just for action surge and the maneuver that allows you to force advantage, feinting attack and the parry maneuver for tankiness... its easy to get sneak attack though so maybe three levels of fighter is unnecessary.. and if you dont go a DEX barb for heavy armor, DEX barbs are good and bad in the sense that you dont get rage damage but your AC could potentially be high... Halfing is good for a DEX barb build)/Barb5/rogue12 (going arcane trickster and taking a familiar allows you to get easy sneak attack in, the familiar will die alot but hey)...

This build has ok damage output but the thing about it is that you could potentially (if you take resilient in DEX) have advantage and proficiency in DEX and EVASION... this build has resist all but psychic (essentially doubling HP) Uncanny dodge (halving some damage once a round)... If you go DEX build and MAX your CON and DEX you will have high HP and AC as well... A DM may allow you to use the rage damage (and reckless attack) on DEX based weapon attacks (which makes this build even better)...

I like these builds and they are powerful...

The Shadowdove
2016-12-07, 11:50 AM
Since you have melee, ranges, and magic covered you have a lot of options really.

How much do you like skirmishers? A paladin, monk, or dex fighter would compliment the melee aspect of this party incredibly well.

A paladin could not only dish out tons of damage and assist the Frontline as more HP to get through, they can heal themselves and the barbarian/rogue in a pinch. Oath of ancients also gives boost vas magic to your team. Not to mention you can also take sentinel, there's no rule that says it isn't amazing without a polearm.

Monks with mobility are ridiculously hard to kill, and can pretty much choose whoever and wherever they want to be attacking. I always thought little of the shadow Monk until one of my players played one in the most strategic and aggressive guerilla warfare way I had seen. He was popping in and out of combat with a mixture of shadow teleports, movement speed placement, and hide checks. He would run from the current opponent, knock out the low HP caster, then use the last movement to break line of sight/avoid retaliation.

In the same way a mobility+whip(rapier for when you want to brawl it out)+shield battle master can really assist the team with their maneuvers. Mobility grants even more battlefield control and allows you to position yourself/teammates in ways that grant clear advantage against one or more foes. Whip allows you to proc mobility (no aoo) and do things like disarm opponents or trip them from a safer range. You're kind of a tactical duelist at this point, a Zoro even.

If you want to go ranged, warlock is a fun addition. Straight blastlock with the invocation that gives no save to knocking enemies back ten feet. Knock people toward or away from allies, hazards, or potentially deadly sudden drops. It can be useful to note that there isn't necessarily anything evil about being a warlock. The negative connotation is justified by the fact that so many who are were approached because either they or the patron were desperate. However, there are neutral or good serving patrons out there. Heck, gods are basically hyper patrons with a ton of followers. Maybe your dm would allow a beefy celestial as a patron, or a minor deity like power who simply wants a player on the material plane for amusement.

If your rogue isn't a skill monkey, bard can be many things. Bards can make one of the best archers actually. Or they can be a good second line melee with buffs and condition spells. Or be a back line caster with spells to offer utility to allies, or completely shut down opponents. Don't like singing or playing instruments? Do magic tricks(awesome with illusion spells), somersaults, or moonwalk if you don't want to make up pretty verses.

Different schools of wizard in a party with most roles covered is actually a really strong option as well. It's like having multiple soldiers in a company that have different specialties. If ones an evoker, having an abjurer or transmuter as well can be amazing. Also, you can share spells! Plus the roleplay potential of having either two chummy intellectuals, or two who respect each other while believing their area of studies superior can be amusing.

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 11:58 AM
I still love Bards :)

But in general, what level are you starting at? Where do you think you'll end? Are you rolling stats or using point-buy?

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 12:02 PM
I still love Bards :)

But in general, what level are you starting at? Where do you think you'll end? Are you rolling stats or using point-buy?

Starting at level 2.....And rolled stats..... I rolled stupidly well.... 18, 16, 16, 14, 10, 8. Note, I took the 10 and the 8 willingly to counteract my 18 and two sixteens

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 12:05 PM
Here is a core build that is good (half-elf is the way to go in my mind): Paladin 6/Bard 14... You get ninth level spell slots to burn on smiting... You can use things like searing smite in ADDITION to divine smite... you get aura of protection... you get two attacks (really you could go paladin 3/bard17 OR fighter2/paladin3/bard15 I just like aura of protection)... You get bard goodness... It has an extremely high damage potential for a few turns in a day... If you want you can take shillelagh as a bard and your only ability you would care about is CHA... You can get sacred weapon which adds CHA to HIT for 1 minute once a short rest (so your getting CHA to hit and to saves!)... going two handed fighting and taking great weapon master is great with a build like this because your HIT will be extremely high (because your adding CHA to hit)...

Fighter2/paladin6/Sorc12 is also good (you could of course omit the fighter levels but action surge is great)... You are casting spells as bonus action and the damage potential is almost as good as the above build... In one round (with action surge) you can do hundreds of of damage potentially... Again this is core only and I havent specified which feats to choose but warcaster is always good (really you want to MAX your ability score out with these builds...

Here is an extremely tanky build that has good damage output (paladins have some of the best damage output when going nova but rogue damage output is great all day long... I think even this paladin build would have a higher damage output than a dedicated disintegrate sorc build, maybe...):
Fighter3(just for action surge and the maneuver that allows you to force advantage, feinting attack and the parry maneuver for tankiness... its easy to get sneak attack though so maybe three levels of fighter is unnecessary.. and if you dont go a DEX barb for heavy armor, DEX barbs are good and bad in the sense that you dont get rage damage but your AC could potentially be high... Halfing is good for a DEX barb build)/Barb5/rogue12 (going arcane trickster and taking a familiar allows you to get easy sneak attack in, the familiar will die alot but hey)...

This build has ok damage output but the thing about it is that you could potentially (if you take resilient in DEX) have advantage and proficiency in DEX and EVASION... this build has resist all but psychic (essentially doubling HP) Uncanny dodge (halving some damage once a round)... If you go DEX build and MAX your CON and DEX you will have high HP and AC as well... A DM may allow you to use the rage damage (and reckless attack) on DEX based weapon attacks (which makes this build even better)...

I like these builds and they are powerful...

I LOVE the pally builds....and was working on something similar when I got shut down for my backstory...and told "he would have to see if a god decided to pick me, and he'd let me know at the start of the session" which turned me off from a Pally lol

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 12:06 PM
Starting at level 2.....And rolled stats..... I rolled stupidly well.... 18, 16, 16, 14, 10, 8. Note, I took the 10 and the 8 willingly to counteract my 18 and two sixteens

With stats like that, you can have a helluva Lore Bard. You could do Half-Elf for:

STR 8
DEX 17
CON 14
WIS 17
INT 10
CHA 20

That very much lets you be great at your spellcasting as well as either ranged weapons or rapier. You'd be a battlefield controller, but can still contribute with damage via bows/crossbows or if you ahve to get in, rapier.

MinotaurWarrior
2016-12-07, 12:24 PM
I assume birdfolk are out too then?

Here's a weird front-line guy that's not a sentinel but has a vaguely similar feel, to kind of rib the DM.

Vhuman(Warcaster) Warlock 4 (Fiend, Blade, Agonizing Repelling EB, Polearm Master) / WM Sorcerer 4 (Quicken, Extend, +2 CHA) / Lore Bard 10 (Exp Stealth, Athletics; MS Spirit Guardians, Wall of Force; +2CHA, Alert or Resilient) / either two more levels of Bard, or Two more levels of sorcerer, or two levels of fighter

Game starts: You do normal warlock stuff

Level 4: Your magic pike makes it so that when enemies close to 10ft, you get to hit them with a repelling EB

Level 8: You get up to 6d10+6d6+24 damage a round. If you're lucky and keep hitting, normal humanoids can waste their whole turn dashing forward and getting nowhere.

Level 12: It's now 9d10+9d6+45, and you're weirdly great at grappling.

14: Alternatively, it can be 9d10+45, and a 15ft aura of 5d8 demonic molasses

18: Wall of force is wall of force. Your wizard has had it for several levels now, but that just means you can get even more creative.

20: Fighter gives you 16d10+16d6+80 action surge, quickened, and reaction attacks (possibly), bard and sorceror just give you more magic.

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 12:38 PM
With stats like that, you can have a helluva Lore Bard. You could do Half-Elf for:

STR 8
DEX 17
CON 14
WIS 17
INT 10
CHA 20

That very much lets you be great at your spellcasting as well as either ranged weapons or rapier. You'd be a battlefield controller, but can still contribute with damage via bows/crossbows or if you ahve to get in, rapier.

Agreed.....This is actually close to what I was thinking...However it doesn't seem like our Barbarian will be reliable...So I think melee is in the cards, as our rouge is a crossbow user

This also allows me to be a TOTAL jerk(though my bard will use it against me) and will let me cutting words the DM's initiative hahahaha

BiPolar
2016-12-07, 12:48 PM
Agreed.....This is actually close to what I was thinking...However it doesn't seem like our Barbarian will be reliable...So I think melee is in the cards, as our rouge is a crossbow user

This also allows me to be a TOTAL jerk(though my bard will use it against me) and will let me cutting words the DM's initiative hahahaha

Haha! The Bard is a ton of fun to play, especially with those stats, but it does seem like going Melee may be a better decision.

For min/Max have you looked at the Unlimited Bladeworks Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass&highlight=unlimited)?

OhmyApollo
2016-12-07, 01:07 PM
Haha! The Bard is a ton of fun to play, especially with those stats, but it does seem like going Melee may be a better decision.

For min/Max have you looked at the

^^ Had to remove the link cause i'm new ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's what i've actually been thinking now that i'm looking at it.....The Dm turned me off from a Paladin from telling me i wont' know where my power comes from....But this might be the answer for that

I think this is my solution.

Hrugner
2016-12-07, 01:57 PM
He's a power gamer, if you want to screw with him you don't want to power game, he loves that stuff. Make a warlock with misty visions and myriad faces using the disguise to always look like an ally of your opponents and the illusion to create concealment for your allies or piles of enemy corpses for morale purposes. Use dex as your main damage dealing attribute till you can move to eldritch blast at 5th level. Take actor as your first level feat as an alternate human to bump up your charisma and ensure that you can fake being a wide variety of enemies. And go with the pact of the chain and sprite for an invisible scout.

It isn't min/maxed in a combat sense, but it can make dull encounters rather funny.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-07, 02:16 PM
Race: v-human with spellsniper feat.
Lv1 dragon sorcerer.
Lv2 warlock fiend.
Lv2 warlock pick up the Eldritch blast invocations.
Lv3 warlock pact of the chains for a familiar to have advantage on attack rolls
Lv4-20 sorcerer meta magic picks, quicken, twin, empower. You will be the range king shotting Eldritch blast from as far as 600ft and shotting 8 a turn at higher lvs. Then you have a limited spells but you have good ones to play with.

Yagyujubei
2016-12-07, 02:25 PM
paladin. just paladin as a class is incredibly strong, will really compliment your party, and with those rolls you can cover all it's demanding stat needs. since you got a cleric for healing type divine magic you can go full on nuke paladin and save your spellslots for insane smite damage.

more specifically, I personally think OoA paladin with a dip in warlock with shillelagh and polearm master is one of the strongest builds in the game.

oh lame you already decided against PLD? then i think bard would be most effective.