PDA

View Full Version : Better Point Buy (WIP)

RumoCrytuf
2016-12-07, 01:19 PM
Are you tired of bad rolls? Do you dislike the weakness of point buy? Do you want to perfectly set up your stats? Then Rumo's Better Point Buy is for YOU! With my system, you can get that perfect character build you've always wanted, without all the hassle of excessive dice rolling. (Warning: Builds with this system may result in utter chaos at the table. Dungeon Masters will need to be creative and adaptable to make these work)

Sample of character:

Character name: John the barbarian

Race: Variant Human

Class: Barbarian

Concept: John is a big, bulky, and dumb barbarian that loves nothing more that meat and fighting. With a normal point buy, John is going to be of slightly above average strength, and slightly below average intellect. This does not suit John. With Rumo's Better Point Buy however, John can have the strength of giants and the intellect of dead mice. Just how John was designed.

John's Stats Normal Point Buy (Before Variance)

STR: 15
DEX: 15
CON: 15
INT: 8
WIS:8
CHA:8

John's Stats with Rumo's Better Point Buy (Before Variance):

STR: 30
DEX: 6
CON:30
INT:1
WIS:1
CHA:1

As you can see, Rumo's Better Point Buy allows more character optimization and better Min/Maxing. John's Player wants to run a big dumb beast of a man, and he gets to do just that!

So, aside from the advertising :P , Rumo's Better Point Buy gives you 63 points to work with. All your stats start at 1, and you can divide the points however you wish. Now, as I said before, DMs be warned before you let players run amok with this. With John, obviously he'll smash through anything with +10 to hit on nearly any weapon. So you can throw casters with "Hold Person" or other such spells at John. But in a party, John would have friends, and more easily defined roles among those friends. Rogues can be more sneaky/stabby, Casters can be more magicky. This system allows you to put the Dump into Dump Stat. It really allows characters to optimize their playstyle, and create truly unique characters. Admittedly, this removes the need for dice rolled characters. But that's why it's homebrew.

As always, I'm super open to feedback, any and all is appreciated.

Cybren
2016-12-07, 08:45 PM
once someone figures out how to add con to attack rolls i fear what barbarians will be capable of

Pex
2016-12-07, 10:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5g_GFm1W0

willistillam
2016-12-08, 12:45 AM
Its a cool Idea but again, it would be very ridiculous. I mean a huge barb tank that fails pretty much all wisdom saving throws is more danger than its worth. All charm spells will work and then you will have this scary monster fighting against you. Or you get a bard with a spell save of 20 at first level. I guess this means that the first person to hit wins because these characters will be porcelain nukes (deal massive damage but can't take it). broadening the range seems cool but 1-30 seems too much of a spread. especially since attributes will affect each other. No way a creature with the intelligence of a Popsicle could be one of the wisest creatures on earth. But I guess it would be chaotic fun. Plus its hard to roleplay a character that has godlike stats. but go for it, It's a fun twist!!

Foxhound438
2016-12-08, 02:53 AM
i feel like this is some kind of intentional satire or something

lonewulf
2016-12-08, 09:04 AM
Ima make a Monk with 30 dex and 30 wis....watch out, World!

NecroDancer
2016-12-08, 09:15 AM
I'm building a wizard with 30 Int and 30 dex

MrStabby
2016-12-08, 10:30 AM
Well this is obviously better but I feel that having identified the source of all of the problems with point buy in 5th edition, you don't go far enough. Why not let stats be negative? Why limit characters to positive numbers? Surely the freedom to go lower than zero is a good thing?

jas61292
2016-12-08, 10:38 AM
Well this is obviously better but I feel that having identified the source of all of the problems with point buy in 5th edition, you don't go far enough. Why not let stats be negative? Why limit characters to positive numbers? Surely the freedom to go lower than zero is a good thing?

Indeed. While I would also debate the fact that am upper limit is not necessary, clearly even with it in place, a spread of 30/30/30/-81/30/30 would be the ideal build for the character in the OP.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-12-08, 10:57 AM
This needs a Skill Point Buy extension. How can I feel that my character is truly silver tongued unless I can start with +35 in Persuasion?

Foxhound438
2016-12-08, 05:08 PM
I mean all the suggestions so far are great and all, but what if I want to point buy a better starting proficiency bonus too?