PDA

View Full Version : Race: Troglodyte Goblins

InsaneOrb
2007-07-15, 05:44 PM
Not as stupid as it sounds. Plus, I don't like the existing Troglodytes. Basically taken from the following sentence of Herodotus (Book

For the troglodytes are exceedingly swift of foot - more so than any people of whom we have information. They eat snakes and other reptiles and speak a language like no other, but squeak like bats.

I personally felt like a goblin variation that wasn't even vaguely goblin. So I made it.

Troglodyte Goblin Racial Traits
+2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma:Troglodyte goblins are hardy and healthy but have relatively little sophistication or education.
Small: As small creatures, Trog-Goblins gain a +1 size bonus to armour class a +1 size bonus to attack rolls and a +4 size bonus to hide checks, but use smaller weapons than humans and have lifting and carrying weights 3/4 that of medium characters.
Troglodyte Goblin base land speed is 35' (7 squares)
+4 Bonus on Climb checks: Troglodyte goblins naturally live in caves or mountains, and are both experienced and suited climbers.
-4 Penalty on Ride and Swimming checks: Troglodyte goblins are particularly scared of horses, and are very cautious about riding, while they tend to have spent very little time near water, and are rarely even capable of basic swimming.
Darkvision out to 60'
Bonus Feat: Run: Troglodyte Goblins are very swift and capable runners.
Automatic Language: Terran, Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon, Goblin, Orc, Elven
Favoured Class: Barbarian

-

And here are example Trog-Goblin peasant and noble entries.

Troglodyte Goblin

'For the troglodytes are exceedingly swift of foot - more so than any people of whom we have information. They eat snakes and other reptiles and speak a language like no other, but squeak like bats.'

Environment: The Troglodyte Goblins are a breed of goblins unique to mountainous and desert areas. Aithi is the largest centre of these goblins, where they are permanently locked in struggle with neighbouring tribes and cities.
The troglodyte goblins are a completely different breed of goblins altogether, and they are faster, stronger and less numerous than their cousins. They still tend to avoid fair contests, but will generally use their speed to divide their enemies into several groups and then mob the smallest. Their inferior intelligence and weak grasp of strategy tend to prevent them from leaving particularly advanced traps, but simple ambushes are among their favourite tactics.
Troglodyte goblins tend to be equipped with a few darts and also some sort of spear or cheap melee weapon. Higher-class trog-goblins use bows of varying sizes and often avoid melee fights. These tend to bring along desert wolves to battle, and set the wolves on their foes while shooting into battle from a distance. When faced with numerous cavalry, they tend to flee.
While they clearly share an ancestor with typical goblins, they are somewhat larger, usually standing between 4' and 4-1/2' tall and weighing between 50 and 55 pounds. They are stronger and tougher than their cousins, and also are swifter on their feet, but their reflexes are not so honed, and they display little patience or capacity for learning.
As a result of their living in mountains they are naturally adapted to climbing, but are generally very afraid of water and avoid it as far as possible. Their fear of horses tends to hamper any attempt at learning to ride.

Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 35 ft. (7 squares)
25ft. with armour Armor Class: 17 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 hide armor, +2 heavy wooden shield), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/–3 Attack: Trident +3, d6+1 or Dart +3, d3+1
Full Attack: Trident +2, d6+1 or Dart +2, d3+1 Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 7, Wis 11, Cha 6
Skills: Survival +2, Climb +5, Use Rope +3, Ride -3, Swim -3, Spot +2, Listen +2
Feats: Alertness, Run
Environment: Warm Mountains
Organization: Pair, gang (1-2 nobles, 2-7 commoners), band (1–12 nobles, 9-114 Commoners, plus 80% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults and 1 leader of 4th–6th level), warband (12–30 nobles with accompanying desert wolves), or tribe (4–48 nobles plus 36-402 commoners, plus 80% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th–8th level, 8-48 Desert Wolves )
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Tactics/organisation: Troglodyte goblins tend to be equipped with a few darts and also some sort of spear or cheap melee weapon. Higher-class trog-goblins use bows of varying sizes and often avoid melee fights. These tend to bring along desert wolves to battle, and set the wolves on their foes while shooting into battle from a distance.

Trog-Goblin Noble, 2nd Warrior

Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (11 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 35 ft. (7 squares)
Armour Class: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 Studded leather armor), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/–3
Attack: Longbow +4, d6 or Glaive +2, d8, 10' reach
Full Attack: Longbow +4, d6 or Glaive +2, d8, 10' reach
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 90 ft.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 9
Skills: Handle Animal 5 (+4), Intimidate 3 (+2), Speak Language 2 (Common), Climb +4, Ride -3, Swim -3
Feats: Run, Weapon Focus: shortbow/longbow
Environment: Warm Mountains
Organization: Pair, gang (1-2 nobles, 2-7 commoners), band (1–12 nobles, 9-114 Commoners, plus 80% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults and 1 leader of 4th–6th level), warband (12–30 nobles with accompanying desert wolves), or tribe (4–48 nobles plus 36-402 commoners, plus 80% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level, 1 leader of 6th–8th level, 8-48 Desert Wolves )
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +0

Bloody_Dagger
2007-07-15, 06:00 PM
Not much help, but I suggest we call them Troglyblins!

Shades of Gray
2007-07-15, 06:30 PM
Aren't you forgetting the rules for trog's stench?

InsaneOrb
2007-07-15, 06:45 PM
Aren't you forgetting the rules for trog's stench?

Personal preference, I'm not particularly fond of the basic D&D troglodyte (I don't know why, I just don't like them). This is pretty much a Herodotus-Imagination hybrid, just about every feature except the swimming of it has some (often weak) textual basis. Also, considering that my 'universe' is essentially a Classical/Hellenistic-based world in which the Ethiopians (of which the Troglodytes were one group) were healthier than many other peoples (this could be a case where Herodotus is not to be taken at his word, and the Trogs seem to be an unusual group), a stench feature is inappropriate.

I confess, I'm a nerd.:smallsmile: