PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Curse of Strahd Character thoughts

Clone
2016-12-07, 05:54 PM
Hey all, I had posted here a while ago about having to remake a character since my Mystic died in the Mines of Phandelver and needed to make a new character. I ended up making a Barbarian Warlock with a single level in Barbarian and the rest Warlock, resulting in a lot of fun and tanking.

We're beginning Curse of Strahd soon and my two other party members will be bringing over their characters, a Revised Beastmaster Ranger and a Nature Cleric. We've been complimenting each other well so far as the Cleric has been the face (kind of) and healer while dishing out damage via spells, the Ranger is our tracker and general Legolas while I've primarily been the tank. Here is my question:

I'd like to play a BearLock, with a high CHA stat who can sneak since this is something we do A LOT. The idea would be to go:
1. Barbarian 1
2. Warlock 1-3 (Fiend, Pact of the Chain, various reasons but I've decided on this rather than Blade)
3. Barbarian 2-5 (Bear Totem, wouldn't use the Frenzy Bonus Action, also Tanking)
4. Warlock 3-5

This would delay extra attack till level 8, but I'd be picking up Polearm Master at 7 since my raging weapon would be a Glaive. Non-rage I'd be using S&B (quarterstaff at 7), SCAG cantrips and Eldritch Blast for damage.

The current build I have is a Fallen Aasimar with the stats 16/14/12/8/8/16

My reasoning for the low CON is the THP from the Warlock side constantly refilling and the DEX is for both stealth and using medium armour. My only worry would be WIS saves, as the skills are already taken care of.

What are people's thoughts? Is there a better way to do things? I haven't run into WIS saves too much from Phandelver, so am I underestimating their importance?

Specter
2016-12-07, 06:34 PM
What I can say from Curse of Strahd without spoiling too much is that it's very nice to have sources of radiant damage, as well as Wisdom saves.