PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Does the math on this alchemical weapon combo check out?

Kittenwolf
2016-12-07, 06:51 PM
Grenadier Alchemist.
Let me know if this math checks out :)

Make half a dozen flasks of acid and half a dozen flasks of alchemist fire, and feed them into a Hybridization Funnel to make some FireAcid flasks (10g each flask).

Combine them into a pair of Focussing Flasks (350g each if you can craft them).

Each focussing flask now contains a weapon that does 6d6 damage on hit, plus 3d6 the round after.

Use Full Pouch extract to duplicate each flask (my GM has ruled that you can pour the extract over the alchemical item to duplicate it, getting around the whole 'standard swift action self only' weirdness).

Use Grenadier's alchemical combination ability to mix the combined weapons together.

Lob at enemy for 12d6+Int damage, +6d6 the round after.
Cost: 60g and two second level extracts, plus 700g in "Material focus" of the focussing flasks.
Note: This option only works if you believe that items made with the Full Pouch spell are permanent, otherwise skip to next option.

Or just make one and combine it with an Alchemist bomb. Or 'modify' the party Archer's arrow without telling them what you're doing.

A lot of prep for a lot of kaboom.

exelsisxax
2016-12-08, 08:48 AM
No, for several reasons.

If multiple types of alchemical items are poured in, all the contents are ruined.
So you can't focus anything that comes out of a hybridization funnel. You also can't go the other direction, because hybridization funnel prevents mixing mixtures or duplicates.

2. "being on fire" damage doesn't stack. Second round damage is 1d6 no matter how many alchemist fires you think you can put in one splash weapon.

3. I think you are misunderstanding(and misnaming) the grenadier's alchemical weapon ability. A splash weapon gets added to a weapon or ammunition, not to a splash weapon. They aren't valid targets.

The best you can end up with is an acid/artokus fire hybridized flask from the funnel for 3d6+1d6, or a triple artokus fire from a stupid expensive focusing flask for 6d6+1d6. Then, yes, putting it on a bomb or an arrow can be a pretty big boom - but nowhere near that big.

Kittenwolf
2016-12-09, 07:36 AM
No, for several reasons.

So you can't focus anything that comes out of a hybridization funnel. You also can't go the other direction, because hybridization funnel prevents mixing mixtures or duplicates.

Source? I'm not seeing that mentioned anywhere. The only stipulation on hybridised items is that you can't feed them back into the hybridisation funnel again.

2. "being on fire" damage doesn't stack. Second round damage is 1d6 no matter how many alchemist fires you think you can put in one splash weapon.

"On the round following a direct hit, the target takes an additional 1d6 points of damage. If desired, the target can use a full-round action to attempt to extinguish the flames before taking this additional damage"
It just says that the target 'takes an extra 1d6 damage', it doesn't say that the target 'catches fire' in the usual sense. For one thing the damage ends after one additional round whereas if they'd actually caught fire, the damage would continue until they were extinguished.

3. I think you are misunderstanding(and misnaming) the grenadier's alchemical weapon ability. A splash weapon gets added to a weapon or ammunition, not to a splash weapon. They aren't valid targets.

A splash weapon is still a weapon. Nowhere does it say that only certain kinds of weapon are valid targets. Just like how an Alchemist Bomb is a weapon, so it can be combined with a splash weapon.

Kurald Galain
2016-12-09, 08:27 AM
It just says that the target 'takes an extra 1d6 damage', it doesn't say that the target 'catches fire' in the usual sense.

First, multiple copies of the same effects still don't stack.

Second, "but technically it doesn't state..." is not a good argument in a RPG, because the rulebooks are not (and are not intended to be) written as a book of law. This is why the PHB is much more readable than, say, the ruleset of Magic: the Gathering.

Overall, an alchemist can easily reach this level of damage without requiring extensive loopholes, so I'm really not sure what you're trying to prove here.

exelsisxax
2016-12-09, 08:37 AM
Mixing a substance with a similar or identical substance (such as alchemist’s fire with alchemist’s fire) has no effect. A mixture cannot be combined with another mixture.
Triple fire is a mixture, as is fire/acid. mixing fire/acid with fire/acid also doesn't work, because you must mix different substances.