PDA

View Full Version : Flash Grenade Usage

User_Undefined
2016-12-07, 10:48 PM
Hey all!

In my home game, my character recently gained access to create what are essentially flash grenades and got to use them in combat last session. The way they're written, everyone in the radius makes a DEX save to avoid being blinded for my INT modifier rounds. We missed the duration line and ran it that everything got a CON save at the end of their turn to cancel the blindness. This was the first time I've used them, and the DM let me give a warning to the party to give them and myself advantage on the save. Two still failed, but that's beside the point.

There are two main questions I have:

1.) Which duration would you use? The INT mod is consistent, but would basically take anyone who failed their save out of the whole fight (which I recognize as very powerful), while the CON save has precedent with Blindness/Deafness, but could just give 1 turn of blindness, which would feel like a waste of resources (I can only make 2 per short rest).

2.) I feel that, since I'm the one using them, I should be able to close/cover/avert my eyes and avoid having to make the save. This could also extend to the party by making a code phrase that lets them know I'm trying to blind the enemies. Would you allow this, or does everyone have to save, even if they know beforehand what's going to happen?

Malifice
2016-12-07, 11:21 PM
Id make it a DC10 Dex save to avert your eyes or be blinded till the end of your next turn.

Kane0
2016-12-07, 11:50 PM
How about:
When thrown, everything within its area must make a Dex save (DC 8 + Prof + Dex) or be blinded. Forewarned creatures gain advantage on this saving throw. Affected creatures may attempt a Con save at the same DC at the end of each of their turns to end the effect early, to a maximum number of rounds equal to your Int modifier.

Also consider the opportunity cost when trying to balance these. Is it an action or bonus action to throw these? What is the radius? Do they cost a lot to make? How many do you have access to, and how often?

A short rest bonus action flashbang should probably have a smaller radius and shorter duration than an action, long rest one for example.

furby076
2016-12-08, 12:23 AM
Consider variable rounds. Flashbang grenades are very potent. If you have +4 int bonus, you just won. I'd make it d4-1 with at least 1 round