PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Lord of the Uttercold Necromancer

Bad Wolf
2016-12-07, 11:15 PM
Anyone have any tips? I was thinking Black Lore of Moil, Lord of the Uttercold (obviously), and of course Piercing Cold. Perhaps buying Mantle of the Icy Soul to get the cold subtype (character is undead). Advice on spells, feats, and items are welcome. Race and classes are locked down. Dealing with a level 22 wizard, but caster level 18.

Vaz
2016-12-08, 12:00 AM
Tips for what exactly?

DrMotives
2016-12-08, 12:06 AM
Why would you want cold subtype? Many undead are already immune to cold, adding the subtype on top of that mostly gives a weakness to fire.

Inevitability
2016-12-08, 01:50 AM
Arcane Thesis on whatever major spell you fancy.

Extra Spell to snag some neat cleric-only necromancy. Consumptive Field is always good, for one.

Undead Leadership. :smalltongue:

The Mother Cyst route isn't that bad either.

Bad Wolf
2016-12-08, 02:13 AM
Why would you want cold subtype? Many undead are already immune to cold, adding the subtype on top of that mostly gives a weakness to fire.

The type of undead I am isn't. I have the gold to spend, and I feel it's good for a Gish. Place a spell right on top of you, healing yourself while damaging your enemy.

Arcane Thesis on whatever major spell you fancy.

Extra Spell to snag some neat cleric-only necromancy. Consumptive Field is always good, for one.

Undead Leadership. :smalltongue:

The Mother Cyst route isn't that bad either.

Right, Mother Cyst...almost forgot about those spells. Adding that to the list.

Not sure about Undead Leadership though. That way leads to doom.

Consumptive field is an 8th level spell, right? I'm not sure if I'll be able to grab it with Extra Spell, but I'll look into it.

Inevitability
2016-12-08, 05:40 AM
Consumptive field is an 8th level spell, right? I'm not sure if I'll be able to grab it with Extra Spell, but I'll look into it.

If you've got 9th-level spells, you can grab an 8th-level one with Extra Spell. I admit the moment where you must take the feat may be awkward, though.

Xethik
2016-12-08, 11:26 AM
Isn't Consumptive Field only 4th level?

LordOfCain
2016-12-08, 11:26 AM
What is your race/class if they are locked?

Bad Wolf
2016-12-08, 12:38 PM
What is your race/class if they are locked?

Human, and Paladin 2/Wizard 9/Homebrew PrC that gives me undead type and -2 caster levels 10/Archmage 1.

Troacctid
2016-12-08, 01:36 PM
Is that one of the evil paladin variants? You won't be able to cast a lot of necromancy spells without breaking the standard paladin oath.

Bad Wolf
2016-12-08, 01:47 PM
Is that one of the evil paladin variants? You won't be able to cast a lot of necromancy spells without breaking the standard paladin oath.

Nah, ex-paladin.

Inevitability
2016-12-08, 02:52 PM
Nah, ex-paladin.

So... fighter without bonus feats?

Bad Wolf
2016-12-08, 03:12 PM
So... fighter without bonus feats?

Basically, yeah.

Inevitability
2016-12-08, 03:36 PM
Basically, yeah.

Is this for any particular reason?

Bad Wolf
2016-12-08, 09:12 PM
Is this for any particular reason?

Roleplay, mostly.

Inevitability
2016-12-09, 01:38 AM
Roleplay, mostly.

Okay. I suppose that as a gestalting full caster, two useless levels don't hurt that much.

John Longarrow
2016-12-09, 06:34 PM
When you become undead, do feats you have affect you? i.e. if you take corpse crafter, do YOU get the bonuses when you turn yourself undead? if so, there are a couple other feats that may interest you for your own benefit in Libris Mortis.

barakaka
2016-12-10, 07:57 PM
You have access to 9th level spells, so I'd suggest casting Vile Death on yourself (Spell Compendium). It binds a fiend into an undead you touch. Could be pretty darn cool although mechanically pretty minor at that level.

Deophaun
2016-12-10, 08:52 PM
When you become undead, do feats you have affect you? i.e. if you take corpse crafter, do YOU get the bonuses when you turn yourself undead? if so, there are a couple other feats that may interest you for your own benefit in Libris Mortis.
The answer to that largely depends on whether or not you are using a spell to become undead, or is it some undefined ritual. Most of those feats are restricted to spells, and so wouldn't apply in the case of the later.

Inevitability
2016-12-11, 04:37 AM
You have access to 9th level spells, so I'd suggest casting Vile Death on yourself (Spell Compendium). It binds a fiend into an undead you touch. Could be pretty darn cool although mechanically pretty minor at that level.

The spell compendium version limits it to a particular list of undead, though.

You summon the spirit of a fiend from the depths of the Nine Hells or the Abyss and bind it into the body of a corporeal undead creature—either a bodak, devourer, ghast, ghoul, mohrg, mummy, nightshade, skeleton, vampire, vampire spawn, wight, or zombie.

Unless the PC in question is one of those, they're out of luck.

Also, it says 'the resulting question is independent of you'. Watching (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AndIMustScream) while a fiend walks around with your body seems undesirable. Then again, I suppose you could be the summoned spirit...