PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me ”balance” a few level 6 magic items against each other.

NiklasWB
2016-12-08, 05:21 AM
I need some help with balancing a few custom magic items I have created for my players. They are just about to reach level 6, and I have been handing out a few minor magic items up until now, the only major ones was at level 4 (like 6 months ago in real time). I now feel like they all deserve some sort of upgrade that doesn’t remove the need for their already owned items.

So, the party is comprised of the following characters:

Half-Elf Lore Bard (face and buff/debuff spellcaster)
Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian (tank and two handed melee damage dealer)
Wood Elf Hunter Ranger (ranged archer damage dealer) (Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger)
Human Great Old One Bladelock (hybrid ranged/melee damage dealer and debuffer)

So the party composition is pretty good. Solid group that only really lacks some Healing… and I think the Lore Bard will steal at least one good Healing spell at level 6.

Without listing all the magic items they have received some are non-combat related, I’ll list the general concept of the major items they have right now:

Half-Elf Lore Bard
Pear of Power (as per DMG)

Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian
Maul that allows him to get +1 AC by using a bonus action each round, advantage on STR checks even when not raging, and can negate 10 feet of forced movement as a reaction.

Wood Elf Hunter Ranger (Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger)
Longbow that allows him to re-roll the bow’s damage dice when Hidden and pick the higher of the two.

Human Great Old One Bladelock
Spear that has Finesse and can be summoned using a bonus action (the idea is that this signature weapon will ‘level’ with the character and get better)

So, on to the actual new items, and whether or not they are balanced:

Half-Elf Lore Bard
Cittern that gives him +1 to Spell DC, can be used as a weapon with the Shillelagh spell, adds half CHA modifier to Performance checks and allows him to throw his voice or amplify it up to 300 feet. (He has the Actor feat, so this should be good fun). This item has already been given out and can therefore be used as a benchmark.

Bracelets that add +1 AC when not wearing a shield or armor, and changes his unarmed attacks to 1d6 instead of just 1. The player has complained that he feels his AC is too low, so I’m trying to give him items that bumps this up, while also giving him a fun ability to do lots of damage unarmed. Might not come up often, but should be fun in a brawl or bar fight.

1. Ring that allows him to cast Druidcraft as a cantrip. Also allows him to cast the Entangle spell (1 time per long rest? WIS modifier times per long rest?). The player feels like the ranger is too much ‘shoot things with a bow every round’, and has too few interesting spells outside of Hunter’s Mark, so I’m trying to give him more Druidic based things.
2. Bottomless Quiver. Basically allows him to always have 20 magic but otherwise normal arrows.

1. This one is harder... I feel like the Warlock has gotten the least useful items so far, and I want to give him something nice without being overpowered. My idea was to give him something like the Cloak of Displacement (but this may be a bit too strong at this level). He is often in melee and often casts a concentration spell like Vampiric Touch… which he often loses right away because he gets hit and doesn’t have War Caster or super high CON or CON save. Maybe a Cloak of Displacement that only works against melee attacks? Or only works against one attack or one creature every round? Or another item that gives him proficiency in Con-saves?
2. Maybe I should give his spear some extra damage as well, so that he doesn’t feel like he always has to use Eldritch blast just because it is ‘better’. Like +1d4 psychic damage? Or simply +1 to attack/damage?

So what do you guys think? Are the proposed items balanced? Do the feel ‘fair’, or is one vastly overpowered compared to another? I'm pretty liberal with giving out minor magic items, but I don't want to go super-overboard in terms of strength.

I would appreciate any help in making these more balanced.

MrStabby
2016-12-08, 06:30 AM
OK, so the lore bard has a pretty powerful item. +1 to DC is pretty big and the other tools are not bad either (ok they might be better for other characters with more attacks... but still good)

The barbarian +1 AC is equivalent to a rare magic item by itself - but the bonus to unarmed is pretty situational.

My problem with these is that they are "good" rather than interesting. Passive boosts don't let the players make any new choices. The secondary effects are good though.

The ranger/warlock are more interesting.

Ranger getting druidcraft is nice, but not likely to have an impact in combat where he is feeling the need for more variety. Giving entangle is a perfect addition though. A ranger maxing wisdom is directing ASIs away from maxing dex or taking feats like sharpshooter so I suspect the DC on ranger spells might be a bit lower than on the other casters. This means you can be more liberal with spells. I would suggest once per short rest - frequent enough to break up the bow use and the short rest mechanic should encourage them to use it more.

Other possibilities: add conditional damage - a little like rogue sneak attack, say if heavily obscured whilst shooting. This makes the ranger positioning more interesting and makes the fights a little more tactical. Maybe give a ring that mimics the druid's natural recovery - giving the ranger a bunch of extra spell slots will encourage a style of play that is more than just shooting arrows; ranger spells are not likely to have a massive high DC so not hugely game breaking.

The bladelock is tricky. They are certainly way behind the bard in terms of casting. A pearl of power and an item that adds +1 to DC coupled with more spell slots means the bladelock is way behind - this is pretty tough for a casting class. If the player is wanting to mix it up in melee and is a dex build there may be some things you can do - I suggest stealing from feats. Maybe a charging mechanic that adds goring damage to an attack? A cloak that adds 10ft to movement and when you make a melee attack in a turn when you have moved 20ft or more from your starting location (worded to avoid running round and round a person) you may add 3d6 damage to your attack (I am thinking that mechanically this then becomes more interesting - some ranged shooting but picking off exposed, badly wounded individuals with a charge then becomes very effective).

Warlocks at low levels can be less fun (still powerful) because they are a resource based class with few resources so another route might be to have an item that grants spell slots. Maybe a ring that provides 3 level 1 spell slots per long rest - it keeps some of the low level spells relevant and it opens up casting other concentration spells other than hex as if you need hex for a fight you can still cast it from a level 1 slot.

What kind of magic items do your players get more excited by?

NiklasWB
2016-12-08, 07:46 AM
Thank you for your comment, this is exactly what I need in terms of constructive criticism!

Yes, I know the Bard has some powerful items. The Pearl of Power was actually meant for the Warlock, but I made the mistake of giving it to the group 'as a whole' and the Bard-player kind of coerced (Out of character) the Warlock-player into giving it to the Bard “I mean, we can both use it, but I will be able to use it better”… I didn’t want to break in and force the item to belong to the Warlock (I honestly thought they would see and decide that it would benefit the Warlock more given his limited resources). So my bad I guess, now I have to try to balance things.

The cittern is a magic item they took from a Bard-antagonist they just fought in the game. He was a tough fight and they had been after him for a while, so I needed the reward to be good as well. Now I need the other players to get something they can use and that they feel are good and relevant for their characters.

The players generally actually really like passive things like +1 AC and +1 to spell DC. They are usually more into succeeding regularly than having fancy ribbon abilities. But I’m trying to give them both and encourage them to do other things than just attack/throw spells.

For example, the cittern was LOVED by the Bard. He thought it was perfect. Bash someone with the cittern for comedic effect, while maybe not optimal use of his turn, is still fantastic fun to the player. The performance bonus bit will not come up often, but he is a Bard, he should be good at performing (the player actually lost a bard-off against the previous owner of the cittern, so realizing the antagonist had magic help was a great reveal). He also loved the voice throwing/amplifying thing since he hasn’t been able to use his Actor feat much and he wants to use it more frequently. And finally, the Spell DC bonus is just a way to progress the characters spellcasting.

What could I do to improve the 'Brawler's Bracers' for the Barbarian and make them more interesting? I think I will keep the +1 AC and the unarmed increase in damage. They both just feel thematic and I'm sure the player will like it. I was going to have them drop from a Gladiator antagonist… Maybe add being able to once per long rest use a bonus action to grant his proficiency modifier in temporary hit points to allies within 30 feet (some sort of inspiring battle cry / Inspiring Leader lite that can be used in combat)? or something else?

I think the ranger will really like the Entangle/Druidcraft ring. Adds some new options to his abilities. And Entangle once per short rest does seem fairly balanced, and doesn’t allow him to spam it through an entire fight. I’ll look into recovery of spell slots, but I don’t want to step too much on other classes’ abilities. Also, not having to worry about buying arrows anymore should be a nice relief.

For the bladelock… I could just say that his spear ‘evolves’ into a Rod of the Pact Keeper +1. Basically give him a Pearl of Power and +1 spell DC / spell attack all rolled into one. Might be the easiest ‘fix’ right now so that he doesn’t feel completely overshadowed by the Bard. Again, might not be very creative and doesn’t give any new options, but it should bridge the gap between the spellcasters in the party. Then give him a cloak of displacement at a higher level so he can be more effective in melee. . I feel like this player has had a hard time deciding what ‘combat role’ to fill. He took Spell Sniper and Agonizing Blast invocation and uses eldritch Blast often. But then he also goes into melee often and uses Vampiric Touch, and he took the Thirsting Blade invocation (2 melee attacks) at level 5. And then he uses Dissonant Whisper and Shatter from afar from time to time. So he tries to do it all without being great at anything. Which makes it harder to give him specialized items...

JellyPooga
2016-12-08, 08:54 AM
Half-Elf Lore Bard (face and buff/debuff spellcaster)
You've already given this guy his item, I won't comment further.

Goliath Bear Totem Barbarian (tank and two handed melee damage dealer)
- Maul that allows him to get +1 AC by using a bonus action each round, advantage on STR checks even when not raging, and can negate 10 feet of forced movement as a reaction.
- Bracelets that add +1 AC when not wearing a shield or armor, and changes his unarmed attacks to 1d6 instead of just 1. The player has complained that he feels his AC is too low, so I’m trying to give him items that bumps this up, while also giving him a fun ability to do lots of damage unarmed. Might not come up often, but should be fun in a brawl or bar fight.

Like MrStabby says, passive bonuses are...dull. The unarmed damage boost will never get used and even when it is, it'll probably not be noticed. The +1 AC will just be another number on his Character Sheet. An item that changes the players style or has some kind of conditional use might be more entertaining/memorable. e.g.

Bracer of the True Warrior
Wondrous item, requires attunement
This bracer of hardened leather is decorated with three gigantic bear fangs. The Bracer has three charges. While wearing it you can expend one charge to cast Compelled Duel (Save DC:15) as a Bonus Action. The Bracer regains one expended charge daily, at dawn.
While under the effects of the spell Compelled Duel (whether cast using this item, or otherwise), both subjects of the spell are shielded from outside influence; creatures other than you and the target suffer Disadvantage on attack rolls against either subject of the spell.

Wood Elf Hunter Ranger (ranged archer damage dealer) (Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger)
- Longbow that allows him to re-roll the bow’s damage dice when Hidden and pick the higher of the two.
- 1. Ring that allows him to cast Druidcraft as a cantrip. Also allows him to cast the Entangle spell (1 time per long rest? WIS modifier times per long rest?). The player feels like the ranger is too much ‘shoot things with a bow every round’, and has too few interesting spells outside of Hunter’s Mark, so I’m trying to give him more Druidic based things.
- 2. Bottomless Quiver. Basically allows him to always have 20 magic but otherwise normal arrows.

Druidcraft is nice and fluffy and Entangle is a great spell, but the guy chose to be an archer. Instead of giving him things to do other than be his chosen profession, make his chosen profession more interesting than "just" shoot another arrow. Perhaps something like...

Quiver of the Green
Wondrous item, requires attunement by a Ranger
This verdant green quiver holds 30 arrows. As a Bonus Action the user may cast the Light cantrip, at will, on any arrow stored in it.
In addition, the Quiver has 10 charges. As a bonus action, you may expend one or more charges to cast one of the following spells on a non-magical arrow stored in the Quiver, ignoring any restrictions regarding weapon type and using your spell save DC; Ensnaring Strike (1 charge), Magic Weapon +1 (2 charges), Magic Weapon +2 (4 charges), Magic Weapon +3 (8 charges), Searing Strike (3 charges), Thunderous Strike (3 charges), Wrathful Strike (3 charges)
The Quiver regains 1d6+4 charges daily, at dawn. If you expend the last charge, roll a d20. On a 1, the Quiver turns a dull brown and becomes a normal, non-magical quiver (it still holds 30 arrows).

Note: This item isn't worded quite right, in my mind; the problem being that you cast the "smite" spells on an arrow, where ordinarily it's a personal effect. Not sure how I'd rectify that easily. Either way, this item has potential to "upgrade" at a later date with either more Cantrips, more spell choices and more charges. Any spell that can be cast on an object (e.g. Darkness), or weapon (e.g. Elemental Weapon), or that improves an attack (ranged or melee, e.g. other Smite spells, Lightning Arrow) could be added to the Quiver. The intention is to give the user a variety of arrows to use, rather than spells to cast, so any spell that can be cast either on an object or in a different manner (such as with the Light cantrip turning an arrow into a flare), must be cast on an arrow.

Human Great Old One Bladelock (hybrid ranged/melee damage dealer and debuffer)

- Spear that has Finesse and can be summoned using a bonus action (the idea is that this signature weapon will ‘level’ with the character and get better)
- 1. This one is harder... I feel like the Warlock has gotten the least useful items so far, and I want to give him something nice without being overpowered. My idea was to give him something like the Cloak of Displacement (but this may be a bit too strong at this level). He is often in melee and often casts a concentration spell like Vampiric Touch… which he often loses right away because he gets hit and doesn’t have War Caster or super high CON or CON save. Maybe a Cloak of Displacement that only works against melee attacks? Or only works against one attack or one creature every round? Or another item that gives him proficiency in Con-saves?
- 2. Maybe I should give his spear some extra damage as well, so that he doesn’t feel like he always has to use Eldritch blast just because it is ‘better’. Like +1d4 psychic damage? Or simply +1 to attack/damage?

Given that A) he's struggling with Concentration saves and B) he's got the least useful gear thus far, something like the Amulet of Health or Belt of Dwarvenkind, despite being Rare (and thus a little "pricey" for their level) might be just the ticket here.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-08, 09:35 AM
A displacer cloak would be nice for the warlock. Or a ring of focused mind that grants advantage on concentration checks.

NiklasWB
2016-12-16, 06:51 AM
I'm sorry to have to have to bump this, but I still need some help with these items. Would you guys say that these items (along with what they already have gotten) is at least somewhat balanced now?

Half-Elf Lore Bard

Siren’s Serenade (cittern)

• Your Spellcasting DC is increased by +1 when using this instrument as a spellcasting focus.
• While playing this instrument you can add half your Charisma modifier to any Performance check.
• You can cast Shillelagh as a cantrip, but only with this instrument as the target of the spell. When you wield the instrument with both hands, it acts as a wooden weapon as per the Shillelagh spell.
• You can use this item to amplify your voice so that it clearly carries for up to 300 feet, or throw your voice so that it appears to come from a different direction.

Brawler’s Bracers

• You gain a + 1 bonus to AC if you are wearing no armor and using no shield.
• You are proficient with unarmed strikes and your unarmed strikes do a 1d6 damage instead of 1.
• You can use Strenght instead of Charisma when making an Intimidation check.
• Once per long rest you can use a bonus action to issue a challenge to a creature you can see within 30 feet of you. Until the challenge ends the creature has disadvantage against creatures other than you and must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 15) to be able to move out of a 30 foot range of you. The challenge lasts for as many rounds as your proficiency modifier.

Wreath of the Forgotten Flower (ring)

• You can cast Druidcraft as a cantrip while wearing this ring.
• You can cast Entangle once per short rest while wearing this ring.

and

Bottomless Quiver

• This quiver magically generates a seemingly endless supply of arrows with moss-green fletching. All arrows created by this quiver is considered magical. Arrows that are removed from the quiver is replaced instantly, making it impossible to place other arrows or bolts into the quiver. If you drop the quiver or die all the arrows within it immediately vanishes.

His spear becomes a:

Rod of the Pact keeper +1

and/or

Cloak of Displacement

While you wear this cloak, your form appears to shift and flicker while in combat, causing any creature to have disadvantage on attack rolls against you. If you take damage, the property ceases to function until the start of your next turn. This property is suppressed while you are incapacitated, restrained, or otherwise unable to move.