PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help me build an Asmodean Advocate

MindTheGap97
2016-12-08, 05:57 AM
So, in the game we are playing we miss both a face and a buffer, I thought Asmodean Advocate would fill that niche decently, I have to make a 25 point buy, the stat line that I came up with was

Str-14(5)
Dex-12(2)
Con-14(5)
Int-10(0)
Wis-20(17)
Cha-7(-4)

The race is Human and one trait is locked into Finding Haleen for every character (not that this is bad). Now, I truly need help with feats, any suggestions?
Also which other trait should I take?

denthor
2016-12-08, 10:55 AM
Increase the intelligence an advocate should be able to persuade people and trick them with 10 intelligence you're no smarter than the average man.

Charisma should never be negative with with an advocate who uses persuasion or wants to make deals nobody will trust you. Bluff is one of your best assets

Psyren
2016-12-08, 11:03 AM
I would swap Int and Str; with that much Wis you should be a caster cleric, and thus your Str score would be irrelevant. Plus your stated goal is to be a face and buffer, not to be a party tank or gish. With an Int of 14, your Barrister rolls will get a positive bonus, making you a better face. (You'll also have the spare skill points to invest in such a normally useless choice.)

A cleric handbook can give you good feat and spell choice; your main focus should be optimizing the familiar, since you gave up a whole domain to get it.

Charisma should never be negative with with an advocate who uses persuasion or wants to make deals nobody will trust you. Bluff is one of your best assets

His Cha doesn't matter as he uses Profession (Barrister) to make Bluff checks, thus he can dump Cha (unless he plans on rebuking.)

Speaking of which, OP, take a look at the alternate channel energies from UM.

Firest Kathon
2016-12-08, 11:03 AM
I just played a bit around with the class, and with the Mentored trait and Skill Focus I easily had my Profession (Barrister), and in consequence Bluff and Diplomacy, at +15 on first level. This is a fun (and PFS-legal) archetype, thank you for bringing my attention to it.

MindTheGap97
2016-12-08, 11:10 AM
I just played a bit around with the class, and with the Mentored trait and Skill Focus I easily had my Profession (Barrister), and in consequence Bluff and Diplomacy, at +15 on first level. This is a fun (and PFS-legal) archetype, thank you for bringing my attention to it.

Also check out Heart of the Fields Human Alternate Racial Trait, it gives you 1/2 your level on a Profession check

You use Profession(Barrister) for Bluff and Diplomacy checks with the archetype. Charisma would help with intimidate but not much else.

I would swap Int and Str; with that much Wis you should be a caster cleric, and thus your Str score would be irrelevant. Plus your stated goal is to be a face and buffer, not to be a party tank or gish. With an Int of 14, your Barrister rolls will get a positive bonus, making you a better face. (You'll also have the spare skill points to invest in such a normally useless choice.)

Profession is keyed on Wisdom, not Intelligence. Thanks for the other tips though.

Psyren
2016-12-08, 11:16 AM
Profession is keyed on Wisdom, not Intelligence. Thanks for the other tips though.

Derp! Even better.

My point stands though - Str is getting you next to nothing. At the very least, put the 14 in Dex even if you don't want/need to be particularly smart.

khadgar567
2016-12-08, 11:24 AM
how you get profession( barrister) and how the f you get +15 at level one?

Geddy2112
2016-12-08, 11:36 AM
I absolutely love the asmodean advocate-losing a domain sucks but a familiar and free consular imp is pretty nice. You will want some wands and scrolls for your imp to use at level 8.

I second lowering strength and increasing INT to at least 12, as 10 int+human bonus is only 3 skill ranks, even with barrister covering bluff and diplomacy you are a bit hard up. You probably want sense motive since you are the face, so that leaves 1 more to throw into whatever knowledge you cover for the party, or to put into all class skills for the +3 bonus.

Feats:If you get to a high enough level, your deity has a very powerful channel feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/conversion-channel), even if you only have a single use a day since you dumped CHA. Improved initiative is never bad-full casters need to go ASAP, double since you are going to be buffing. If you want more defense, heavy armor proficiency is decent for clerics. If you go the summoning route, sacred summons, spell focus: conjuration and augment summons are must have spells. You have a familiar, so toughness becomes a slightly better pick. Scribe scroll lets you keep a bunch of those sometimes utility cleric spells on hand so you don't have to prepare them, and it can give your familiar a lot of combat oomph. I am a major fan of extend spell for any buffing caster, so you can fire and forget and run a buff all dungeon/all day in game.

Psyren
2016-12-08, 11:46 AM
how you get profession( barrister) and how the f you get +15 at level one?

Profession is a class skill for clerics. (Almost everyone else too I think.)

20 Wis = +5
1 rank of class skill = +4
Skill Focus = +3
Mentored = +1

That got me to +13, not sure where the other 2 are.

khadgar567
2016-12-08, 12:40 PM
Profession is a class skill for clerics. (Almost everyone else too I think.)

20 Wis = +5
1 rank of class skill = +4
Skill Focus = +3
Mentored = +1

That got me to +13, not sure where the other 2 are.
that actually may be got you more than 13 but thanks for info.

FocusWolf413
2016-12-08, 12:52 PM
Someone who advocates for Asmodeus? Any build works. Just have em talk to Red Fel for a while.

khadgar567
2016-12-08, 01:07 PM
Someone who advocates for Asmodeus? Any build works. Just have em talk to Red Fel for a while.
speaking for his evilness Red Fel Red Fel Red Fel he will teach you the evil ways( man its hard to rhyme).

Inevitability
2016-12-08, 01:35 PM
speaking for his evilness Red Fel Red Fel Red Fel he will teach you the evil ways( man its hard to rhyme).

There once was a fellow called Red Fel
Their evilness and cunning known well
At teaching, they excelled
Their advices unparalleled
As all known: Red's truly swell

khadgar567
2016-12-08, 01:49 PM
touche stirge touche my problem for rhyming is how you put call me three times and i am there to nice rhyme of possible summoning chant.

Red Fel
2016-12-08, 08:50 PM

Hm?

Yeah, I'm coming, I-

Okay, that was classy. Credit where it's due, classy.

Here's the thing, though - OP wasn't asking how to play an Asmodean Advocate in terms of RP. He did that before (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499569-PF-Lawful-Evil-Asmodean-Advocate-Help-(both-roleplaying-wise-and-mechanically-wise)). I was awesome then. Still am, but for different reasons.

This time, it's a question about PF feats and traits. And for what it's worth, while there are a few areas of PF I particularly enjoy (looking at you, Path of War), I can't say my knowledge of feats or traits is sufficiently encyclopedic to contribute here. So I'mma sit this one out, and watch.

falloutimperial
2016-12-09, 12:22 PM
The fun thing about the Asmodean Advocate, as I understand it, is that your bluff and diplomacy benefit from bonuses that apply to the profession SKILL and bluff/diplomacy CHECKS. This is why your viper familiar's bonus to bluff is useful. It's probably not optimal to invest everything in Devil in the Details, but here's what I've got for that:

Racial Trait: heart of the fields
Trait: love lost
Trait: extremely fashionable
Class Feature: viper familiar
1st Feat: skill focus (Obviously)
Human Feat: prodigy
3rd Feats: deceitful (as a prerequisite)
5th Feat: Cunning Caster to use law to convince people you aren't casting spells
7th Feat: master of the ledger
9th Feat: signature skill. At level 10 you are rolling twice on profession and taking the best

If you started at wisdom 20 and added to it as you go on, at level 10 you get a +43 to profession, +50 if you're bluffing, and you roll twice and take the best result. If you practiced law for a living, you could buy a +6 headband of inspired wisdom in a little over 12 years.

khadgar567
2016-12-09, 01:23 PM
The fun thing about the Asmodean Advocate, as I understand it, is that your bluff and diplomacy benefit from bonuses that apply to the profession SKILL and bluff/diplomacy CHECKS. This is why your viper familiar's bonus to bluff is useful. It's probably not optimal to invest everything in Devil in the Details, but here's what I've got for that:

Racial Trait: heart of the fields
Trait: love lost
Trait: extremely fashionable(he has finding his kin in this place)
Class Feature: viper familiar
1st Feat: skill focus (Obviously)
Human Feat: prodigy
3rd Feats: deceitful (as a prerequisite)
5th Feat: Cunning Caster to use law to convince people you aren't casting spells
7th Feat: master of the ledger
9th Feat: signature skill. At level 10 you are rolling twice on profession and taking the best

If you started at wisdom 20 and added to it as you go on, at level 10 you get a +43 to profession, +50 if you're bluffing, and you roll twice and take the best result. If you practiced law for a living, you could buy a +6 headband of inspired wisdom in a little over 12 years.
hold on mate op says he has one trait locked and you use two traits and he has profession barrister getting whole bonus not profession lawyer and around 10th level he can get the head band instead of spending 12 years during skill check for lawyer job.

Inevitability
2016-12-09, 01:37 PM
hold on mate op says he has one trait locked and you use two traits and he has profession barrister getting whole bonus not profession lawyer and around 10th level he can get the head band instead of spending 12 years during skill check for lawyer job.

You know 'barrister' is a kind of lawyer?

khadgar567
2016-12-09, 01:56 PM
You know 'barrister' is a kind of lawyer?
no but thanks for info