PDA

View Full Version : Carrion Crown (in character)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Celticbear
2016-12-08, 02:27 PM
In the far western Ustalav, there lives a small town: Ravengro. This town has been here for as long as any care to remember, and it is were Professor Lorrimor once lived. For whatever way you all met the Professor, a letter has called you all back to Ravengro for the funeral of Professor Lorrimor. You all attend just in time, and the few other people at the sight of some of your more "colorful" members. The priest of Pharasma however stays, and continues his speech. Once the speech comes to an end, he asks,"Is there any who will bring the proffesor's remains into the glade of remembrance, and lay his body to rest so his soul may fly?"He looks at your group, and you all start to notice that you are the only ones who actually stayed to the end. The priest waits... what do you do?

Pink is going to be the flavor text for the campaign, and I'll post the colors for major characters when I use them

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-08, 02:40 PM
Dmitiri stares solemnly at the casket, before speaking up. "I shall help carry his coffin." In truth, the aasimar knew the professor for a very short time. His mind was full of questions rather than sorrow. But as one of Pharasma's flock he determined it was his duty to be a pall bearer for the deceased.

Razanir
2016-12-08, 03:50 PM
Chistery is still confused by this burial custom. Growing up in the wild, he never thought of death as much more than the end of life. But the good professor asked him to come, so he did. Realizing he may not be able to help the tall folk carry something, he nods at the coffin while instructing the well-dressed ape standing with him, "Terk, carry."

We're very much not threatened (I hope), handling an animal companion is a free action, and I even get a +4 bonus to the check. I think it's reasonable for this to work, despite my free trick being Attack.

PCScipio
2016-12-08, 05:33 PM
Lubella Heathertoes steps forward. Some might think her a human child at first glance, but a second look shows here to be a fully grown halfling woman. Her manner of dress suggests a foreign influence, perhaps from far to the south; she wears a holy symbol of Sarenrae. When she speaks, her Kellish accent makes it clear she is not a local. She bows low."I would be honoured to help bear Mr. Lorrimor's remains".

Krogarn
2016-12-08, 06:13 PM
Kahla would stand, offering a polite bow towards the priest. "I will also lend a hand in seeing him to his final resting place." He steps up one of the sides, two of his arms coming out to help lift the likely heavy casket.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-08, 07:56 PM
Mirela sat through the ceremony is silence, her pale face stony, her eyes hidden by dark glasses. She'd taken a seat in the corner, trying to avoid any attention, something of a pointless task, as she had also commandeered the chair next to her for a musket longer than she was tall. Her clothing also seemed to have committed to the task of standing out: it was well made, and clearly skillfully tailored, but also had gone out of fashion decades previously. Overall, the effect is that of a ghost from another time, as though she were only somewhat tied to the mortal world.

She is the last to stand, barely making a difference in her height. The woman is tiny, only a head taller than the halfling. She responds to the priest's request only with a slight, solemn nod.

Celticbear
2016-12-09, 09:56 AM
The priest gestures to the coffin, where six handholds rest. Suddenly, a woman in regal red gown steps forward, as if she were never there at all. Her voice sounds as crimson as here dress as she says,I will go as well. My Uncle deserves to be carried by at least one of his kin.

The coffin is as heavy as it looks, and as you go further away from the site of the wake, the smell of death and fear that you have all affiliated with the Ustalavian air grows more apparent. The sick smell of dust and decay woven by lines of dirt start to fill your nostrols as you walk into the Graveyard of Ravengro.

If any of you speak Varisian, please open this tab, if not no peaking
At the entrance to the graveyard a signpost written in Varisian says, "Herein lies the fallen guardians of Harrowstone, the prisoners of which they guarded, and the fires that claimed them. Let no mortal man or beast dare disturb the ashes, for they lay awake to all who speak. Let no mortal man or beast sleep in this grove, for the Earth take them if they do. Let no mortal man or beast ever say no warning was given, for if any trespass they have nought but themselves to blame."

A dirt road layed many years ago spreads a path for you to follow. The lady in red seems to know exactly where she's going, and you have no choice but to follow her. About two minutes in to the long walk, you start to see a large group of people, most of whom are carrying torches. The leader of the group and a few others come before you, and the person who seems to be the leader leader says,That man you're carrying was an evil, and horrible man. The things he did in his laboratory of his are unthinkable, and I don't want his body in one of these graves. It would break tradition. The sign says no man should disturb the graves, and Lorrimor was disturbing to all of us. You need to leave... now

Lady Cassandra will speak in red, and Gibs Hepheanys will speak in light blue.

PCScipio
2016-12-09, 12:22 PM
Lubella hesitates; she is a foreigner and has heard that the people of Ustalav are suspicious of outsiders. Dimitri seems to be a man of the faith of Pharasma: perhaps she should let him speak first.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-09, 01:28 PM
Dmitri gazed sternly at the rabble-rouser, and a pensive frown stretched across the priest's lips. Then he spoke in a calm, even tone. "I know not who you are, but The Lady of Graves frowns upon those who disturb funeral rites. Indeed, if there were any shred of proof the departed were a vile raiser of the dead, the disciples of Pharasma would never allow for his burial to be blessed. I am a stranger to this village, but I know this man bore you no ill will. Please, stand aside and let us pass."

[roll0]

PCScipio
2016-12-09, 02:04 PM
"I am Lubella Heathertoes, kind sir. The Petros Lorrimor I knew was a good and honorable man. We must lay his body to rest so that his soul may journey it's final destination."

[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-09, 02:13 PM
Mirela's face doesn't even register surprise at the mob. She quirks an eyebrow almost imperceptibly. If Professor Lorrimor were experimenting with necromancy, she hadn't known about it. But then, she only knew the man from his letters.

"An angry mob. Must be moonday," she mutters under her breath.

Razanir
2016-12-09, 03:58 PM
Chistery speaks up, "I did not know the professor well, other than as the man who taught me to speak. But he seemed an honest man, and from what I understand of your burial custom, he should be allowed rest."

OOC: Diplo from OOC thread was high enough to succeed on Aid Another, which should bring us up to a total of 33 with Lubella's bonus.

Krogarn
2016-12-09, 05:13 PM
"Come now, lets not do anything rash or hasty here. It's bad luck to interrupt a funeral procession right? So let's just all take a breath and talk this out calmly."

OOC: Kahla also got high enough to add another +2, for a total of 35 on diplomacy.

Celticbear
2016-12-09, 07:39 PM
The mob leader seems as if he were about to say something, but he is silenced by another mob member,"Maybe we should back off Gibs, the Professor couldn't have been that bad"
"Shut your young, uneducated ass, Jerle... Ugh you're right. I'll be watching you foreigners! You haven't heard the last from Gibs Heaphenys!
The mob disperses, and your path becomes clear again. The walk continues for another minute or two, and as the load seems too much to bear, you all see a hole in the ground. The red lady leads the coffin into the hole, and the aged Pharasman priest appears once more.
I hope Gibs didn't trouble you. He's always trying to condemn any character he finds unsavory. Lady Kendra, Baruabas is here,along with you're uncle's will. Baruabas also called for you five as well. All must be present at the Lorrimor estate for the will to be read.
Lady Kendra gestures for you to follow her, and unless anyone has something to do you answer her call. The walk to the Estate is not a short one, and Kendra tries to fill the awkward silence with small talk about Lorrimor and what he studied. It seems the Professor was some sort of Father figure to the young woman. Nevertheless, you finally come to a large Gothic looking manor, and Kendra pulls out a key. A medium sized Osirion man is waiting by a table in the vestibule, and on the table lies a large piece of parchment and o large locked metal box. The Osirion man motions for everyone to sit, and starts to speak, My name is Baruabas, I was Petros Lorrimor's personal Lawer, and he has posthumously charged me with the readingof his will. If all parties are present, I shall begin.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, being of sound mind, do hereby commit to this parchment my last will and testament. Let it be known that, with the exception of the specific details below, I leave my home and personal belongings entire to my niece Kendra. Use them or sell them as you see fit, my child.

“Yet beyond the bequeathing of my personal effects, this document must serve other needs. I have arranged for the reading of this document to be delayed until all principals can be in attendance, for I have more than mere inheritance to apportion. I have two final favors to ask.

“To my old friends, I hate to impose upon you all, but there are few others who are capable of appreciating the true significance of what it is I have to ask. As some of you know, I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it. For knowledge of one’s enemy is the surest path to victory over its plans.

“And so, over the course of my lifetime, I have seen fit to acquire a significant collection of valuable but dangerous tomes, any one of which in the wrong circumstances could have led to an awkward legal situation. While the majority of these tomes remain safe under lock and key at the Lepidstadt University, I fear that a few I have borrowed remain in a trunk in my Ravengro home. While invaluable for my work in life, in death, I would prefer not to burden my niece with the darker side of my profession, or worse still, the danger of possessing these tomes herself. As such, I am entrusting my chest of tomes to you, posthumously. I ask that you please deliver the collection to my colleagues at the University of Lepidstadt, who will put them to good use for the betterment of the cause.

“Yet before you leave for Lepidstadt, there is the matter of another favor—please delay your journey one month and spend that period of time here in Ravengro to ensure that my daughter is safe and sound. She has no one to count on now that I am gone, and if you would aid her in setting things in order for whatever she desires over the course of this month, you would have my eternal gratitude. From my savings, I have also willed to each of you a sum of one hundred platinum coins. For safekeeping, I have left these funds with Embreth Daramid, one of my most trusted friends in Lepidstadt—she has been instructed to issue this payment upon the safe delivery of the borrowed tomes no sooner than one month after the date of the reading of this will.

“I, Petros Lorrimor, hereby sign this will in Ravengro on this fourth day of Calistril, in the year 4711.”

Krogarn
2016-12-09, 08:28 PM
"So, we each get a hundred platinum to protect Lady Kendra here for a month, and then deliver some books of his to the university over in Lepidstadt afterwards? Sounds easy enough. We might want to get those books quickly to keep an eye on them before the mob back there decides to burn the house they are in down. Well, I say "we" but I wouldn't want to assume for the rest of you that you'll be staying. I know I'll be staying, I don't have anything else better I could be doing and fulfilling the last wishes of a dead man who seems to have done a lot of good work is a pretty fun way to spend my next couple of months."

*Tell them who you are, don't be rude.* Mika softly sounds off to Kahla from within her home in his mind.

Kahla would cough a little, and then add on. "Oh, right sorry. I'm being rude by not introducing myself. I'm Kahla Phrax, but most people just call me Kahla. Don't feel bad about staring, most people do. I know I look very different from the humans around here, or around pretty much anywhere really." He'd chuckle a little.

Razanir
2016-12-09, 08:45 PM
"Calistril, 4711..." Chistery is deep in thought, trying to remember when that was, "How long ago did your uncle die?" He notices Kahwa introduce himself. "Oh, and I'm Chistery, and the ape is Terk. Or at least those are the names your uncle gave us. I was orphaned and grew up in what I believe you call the Mwangi Jungle, so civilization is new to me. I never really thought to give myself a name, because I was the only one who could speak."

Terk grunts disapprovingly at that last comment.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-09, 08:51 PM
"Shut your young, uneducated ass, Jerle... Ugh you're right. I'll be watching you foreigners! You haven't heard the last from Gibs Heaphenys!

Mirela recoils back a bit at this, seemingly somewhat offended, "Foreigner? I'm from Varno, you puffed up ignorant peasant!" she mutters, audible maybe only to the other pallbearers.

Mirela listens to the reading of the will in silence, her face back to what you are beginning to suspect is the default lack of emotion. There is what seems to be a large release of breath at the end, perhaps a sigh, perhaps a held comment. It's hard to tell with the pale woman.

When the...insect? The four-armed creature speaks, her gaze immediately snaps to him, one eyebrow slightly raised, clearly evaluating him on as many levels as she can. "Lady Mirela Arsbeta Korvschia Tiriac," she says by way of introduction, making no accompanying gestures, "Do you have so many enemies that the good professor saw need to employ so many people of obvious martial skill to protect you, Milady?"

PCScipio
2016-12-09, 09:35 PM
Lubella stands and addresses the others. "I am pleased to make your aquaitance. To those who don't know me, I am Lubella Heathertoes. I'm currently attached to the Temple of Sarenrae in Korvosa, but under the circustances I think it's appropriate that I stay and carry out the Professor's last wishes. Lady Cassandra, I am at your service." She bows.

Lubella turns her head to Kahla: "I agree that we should review the security arrangements for Professor Lorrimor's books."

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-09, 09:48 PM
Dmitri couldn't help but rub his chin as the contents of the will were read aloud. It was a natural quirk for him; He did it whenever he was wrapped up in his own thoughts, or processing information. The others' introductions relaxed his pensive state and he looked at the group. "Dmitri Strauss." He said with a polite nod. "I am a simple disciple of Pharasma. And the Lady of Graves would be most displeased if I ignored a dead man's final wish."

As the others asked their questions, Dmitri once again resumed stroking his chin. "Perhaps related to Lady Tiriac's question; How was it that the good professor came to his demise?" He asked Cassandra. And almost as an after thought he then added. "And if we are to stay for a month, where might we be spending our evenings?" Though the priest knew that mournful souls were often uncomfortable speaking about he dead, in this case Dmitri thought it necessary to acquire any information that might keep Cassandra safe as per the request of Lorrimor. He did not intend to be insensitive, though the aasimar's sudden inquiries as to the cause of Lorrimor's death unavoidably came of as such.

PCScipio
2016-12-10, 02:14 PM
How did Professor Lorrimor die? Lubella had been wondering about that throughout her journey to Ravengro. She turns to the lawyer. "Baruabas, forgive me for asking, but I have not heard what happened to the Professor, and it seems that others may have the same question. Did he fall ill? Was there an accident?"

Celticbear
2016-12-10, 03:20 PM
The Professor wrote his will nearly five years ago, and died this year near the ruin of Harrowstone. His body was found crushed by a large gargoyle statue, which fractured his lower jaw to splinters, but left most of the corpse intact. There were also a number of wou-
Enough! I cannot take this discussion any further. If you have need of me, I will be upstairs. Nice meeting you all.
Lady Kendra storms off towards the staircase, noticeably fighting tears. Baruabas blinks a few times, and shakes his head. Anyway I must be going. Here is the key to the chest, the tomes are inside. I apologize I cannot answer any further questions, but I really have to leave.

Baruabas makes a hasty departure, and closes the door behind him. Whoever picks up the key and unlocks the chest will find on closer inspection that the chest is of recent make, and shows little sign of rust. Opening the box is a trivial task, and once opened it will reveal four books. The first is a leather bound journal with no title except for an attached note which reads, "Read Me Now!" in Lorrimor's handwriting. The book under it shows a golden scarab clutching an emerald as it's only outstanding feature. The other two books are holy books of Zon-Kuthon and Urgothoa named, "Trials of Flesh" and "Sated Hunger" respectively.

It will be knowledge History, Nobility, or religion to recognize the scarab symbol, and a strength check if you try to open the scarab book.

PCScipio
2016-12-10, 03:46 PM
Urgathoa and Zon-Kuthon? What has the Professor been up to?

Lubella looks at the scarab symbol. (crosses finders that I've got the syntax right)
[roll0]

She then opens the journal and starts reading.

Razanir
2016-12-10, 04:16 PM
"If Baruabas can't talk and we have a month to spend here, I may as well try the streets."

Chistery and Terk leave for a few hours to investigate on the streets, while Lubella reads Professor Mortimer's journal.

OOC: Took 3 hours to make a Diplomacy check of 6 to gather information. However, even if that didn't return any information, I still picked up a Knowledge (local) check of 18, though I'm untrained so I can't know anything with a DC higher than 10.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-10, 05:25 PM
Mirela watches the drama unfold impassively, watching Kendra storm out, and then Baruabas hastily excuse himself. The doctor had died of something resembling natural causes, which was nice to know. With his apparent need to protect his kin in his will, Mirela might have suspected foul play.

While Lubella peruses the journal, Mirela picks up the book with the scarab-and-emerald design, and begins to read, settling herself into a nearby chair.

[roll0]
or
[roll1]

I too forgot how this works.

Krogarn
2016-12-10, 10:53 PM
Kahla goes to try his hand at learning about the man they encountered at the funeral who was so intent on interrupting their procession, Gibs Heaphenys. The possibility that he might become a problem that needs to be taken care of at a later point is not lost on the spiritualist.

(1d20+3)[11]
(1d4)[1] hours taken to find this information.

After spending an hour learning what he can about Gibs, Kahla will see about finding potential lodgings for the month he'll be spending here, preferably somewhere that allows him to keep an eye on Lady Kendra as requested.

Celticbear
2016-12-11, 02:34 AM
Lady Kendra comes down a few minutes later offering the spacious manor that they were standing in as free lodgings for the month, and she gives thanks that they all had agreed to look after her over the next few weeks.

When you try to open he scarab book, it resists your prying, and stays sealed, locked now to what appears to be a form of metal painted golden wrapped around the cover.
With your collective knowledge however, you do label the scarab as a symbol of the Esoteric Order Of The Palatine Eye, a secretive organization in Ustalav, whose true goals are unknown.

The contents of Lorrimor's journal are lengthy, but six sections are circled in red. They read as follows:

The Whispering Way is more than just a cabal of Necromancers, I see that now Undeath to them is their fountain of youth. Uncovering their motivation does not place at ease as I thought it might. This desire to be Eternal simply makes them more dangerous.

It is as I feared. The Way is interested in something here in Ravengro. But what could it be?

Whatever the Way seeks, it is likely to be found in Harrowstone. In retrospect it all makes sense- the stories they tell of the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins, but with everyone in town already being so worked up about me, I'd rather not share my curiosity lest the fools try and sabotage my more delicate works and projects. I sometimes hear devil or witch spoken behind my back, ignorant fools

It is confirmed.The way was interested in something, no someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who, specifically, is the way after?I need a list of everyone who died in the fire over two hundred years ago, everyone. The church of Pharasma might be willing to give me one, if I give them some of my secrets... no I shall find another way.

I see now how ill prepared I was when I set out for Harrowstone. I am lucky that I even made it out alive.The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts ( for I did not find it prudent to investigate further) prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found on the burnt walls.On my next visit, I shall be more prepared. if I do fail however, and if the group I wanted actually gets this book, I've hidden a cache of magical armaments in a false crypt in the far northeast portion of the graveyard. I will however be taking some items from the cache if they are important enough for me.

Before I could leave my home, a strange man appeared in front of my door. To say he was a man though is a large credit, for the features I saw were those of a wolf. He labeled himself Lucimar, and ordered me to stop interfering with matters I had no idea of. He then vanished in thin air, no trace of his presence remained.

Tomorrow I return to the prison. It is imperative that this Lucimar and the Way do not succeed, and if I fall tonight, I have labeled specific parts of my journal that would be prudent to the matter. after you have reviewed it, and made any notes that you must, I ask that you burn this book. Dark secrets and rituals are detailed in these pages, and the world would be a better place if the book were to disappear forever. If you still are not convinced of the magnitude of these requests, know that the way itself will be hunting for this book, for it contains formulas paramount to becoming a lich. If I do not return, whoever has this book must destroy it, MUST!

When you hear the name Lucimar, you instantly recognize it. You remember from your Whispering Way days that Lucimar is the Arch Curate of Renchurch. He's basically the leader of the Whispering way in Ustalav

PCScipio
2016-12-11, 03:10 PM
Lubella considered the late Professor's words. It seemed that he was on the trail of a nefarious secret organization that delved in necromancy. The warning from the wolf-man Lucimar suggested that this was not merely a defunct group from a bygone era. She could alert the high priestess in Korvosa, but that would take weeks. Who knows what might happen in that time? It was up to her, and the others summoned by Professor Lorrimor, to investigate, wherever that might lead.

Lubella speaks to her new friends. "It seems that the Professor was investigating the ruins of Harrowstone before he died. From what is written in his journal, his death may be related. The lawyer Baruabas way saying something before Lady Kendra interrupted him. It sounded like 'wounds', as though there were other marks on the Professor's body. I don't think his death was an accident."

"I propose that we explore Harrowstone ourselves and see if we can find out more. The journal mentioned 'magical armaments' in a false crypt in the graveyard. It would be wise to collect them before we enter the ruins."

"Does anyone know anything more about this 'Harrowstone'? It sounds like it may have been some sort of prison"

Lubella will ask Lady Kendra for writing materials so she can copy down the highlighted sections of the journal. She will also need to copy down the symbols in Harrowstone mentioned by Professor Lorrimor. She is prepared to pay for what she uses. If there isn't anything suitable in the manor, she will head out into the town and buy what she needs.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-11, 06:09 PM
Dmitri's eyes soaked up all the words Lorrimor had left behind. When he had finsihed, he locked his hands together and pressed both his index fingers to his lips, deep in thought. What was described in the late professor journal was disturbing to the Pharasmite. Necromancers. Here in Ravengro? He pondered. And the Whispering Way, no less? His gaze shifted to the two tomes of dark scripture. And what was Lorrimor doing with these, I wonder.

Breaking away from his thoughts, Dmitri addressed those who remained in the room. "This, 'Harrowstone' ..." He began. "The professor seems to have had reason to believe it's haunted. While I can't speak for the rest of you, as a disciple of Pharasma I cannot abide the dead roaming the earth. If I am to be spending a month here, I am obligated to remove this curse. I would be deeply grateful if you would help me with this task."

The priest nodded in response to Lubella's comment about the cache. "It would be wise to investigate this, but we must do it with the blessing of the local clergy of Pharasma, the locals already don't seem to care for us, best not feed their paranoia by traipsing through the graveyard in secret. Also, Lorrimor seems to regard the contents of this journal as highly delicate matter. We should not be divulging its contents lightly."

Then the aasimar rose from his seat and stretched. "I shall check in with the church for records of Harrowstone as Lorrimor indicated was his plan. As a follower of Pharasma they should be more open to me. Once I am finished I shall return here." The priest took his leave of the room, though before he did, he apologized to Lady Kendra for his earlier insensitivity, and thanked her for the lodgings.

With that, Dmitri headed out to search for the temple of Pharasma to further investigate the mysterious prison.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-11, 08:45 PM
Mirela's eyes widen at the name 'Lucimar', before her normal lack of emotion reasserts herself. Lucimar? Here? Making a visit to personally silence the professor? Mirela had never met the man, but she didn't need to. It would be hard to miss his name and reputation. I still have the option to leave. As good a friend as the professor was, he's not worth tangling with people like that for.

She scanned the room, checking the others for any sign of a reaction at the name. Nothing. Well, she could probably trust them to be ignorant of most of Ustlav's darker side. That, at least, was some comfort. A little anonymity was such a privilege in this country.

Mirela nodded in affirmation at the thought of getting the cache before heading into Harrowstone. While she was certainly no stranger to hauntings, going into an unfamiliar one unprepared was suicide.

The musketeer waited until the other two had finished before speaking, "It seems Professor Lorrimor was mixed up in dark things indeed. It would be best for us never to mention The Way, or our knowledge of it, in any company other than our own. They have ears everywhere in Ustlav, and it doesn't do to tempt their wrath. As we can see from our dear deceased friend,"

Mirela collected the other two books and settled into her chair, intending to figure out exactly what link between the two the professor had been searching for. She was still unsure if she wanted to pursue this endeavor, knowing what she did, but it couldn't hurt to know what the professor was up to.

What kind of roll would that be, anyway? An intelligence test?

Krogarn
2016-12-11, 10:22 PM
"Dealing with spirits is actually a specialty of mine. It's how I met the professor, truth be told. If the manor is haunted, my skills should be quite useful in dealing with the problem."

PCScipio
2016-12-11, 11:24 PM
Lubella adds "Halflings are very good at staying out of sight when we want to, and I suspect the same might be true for Monkey Goblins. If necessary, the little folk could sneak into the graveyard tonight and retrieve the supplies. Let's see how Dmitri makes out with the church and decide then."

Celticbear
2016-12-12, 06:38 AM
Lady Kendra pipes up, concern on her eyes,It is almost midnight, and the journey here alone must have been tiring. I suggest rest before you start raiding old ruins. In the morning, I would be happy to help with anything I can, including giving access to the Manor's library.

Razanir
2016-12-12, 10:32 AM
Lubella adds "Halflings are very good at staying out of sight when we want to, and I suspect the same might be true for Monkey Goblins. If necessary, the little folk could sneak into the graveyard tonight and retrieve the supplies. Let's see how Dmitri makes out with the church and decide then."

Since it was apparently a bad time to head out, (Maybe that's why it took 3 hours? Trying to find the one person who's still out around town) Chistery speaks up, "I can certainly stay out of sight if we want to. I would probably have to leave Terk behind, since she's not exactly the best at sneaking around, but I'm sure we could manage."

PCScipio
2016-12-12, 11:45 AM
Lubella looks up; she hadn't realized it was so late. When she was younger, she might have headed out by herself to the graveyard, but she had learned the hard way that sometimes it was better to wait and find out more information first. "I'm going to bed", she announces. "Good night."

Lubella lay awake at night, thinking about the responsibility that fate had placed on her shoulders. Dark secrets and a sinister secret society. They would soon venture into the ruins of Harrowstone, haunted by who knows what. How would she react if they encountered some undead horror? If she hesitated, or made the wrong choice, her friends could die. Eventually she fell into a fitful slumber. Although she remembered nothing of her dreams in the morning, there must have been some. The small halfling murmured in her sleep, "For the Sun and the Fury."

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-12, 03:11 PM
The events of the day had gone by so fast Dmitri hardly noticed nightfall. Whatever secrets he could uncover could wait until morning, and so went off to bed. He bid everyone good night as he headed upstairs.

Krogarn
2016-12-12, 07:49 PM
"Since we're going to be spending a month working with one another to protect Lady Kendra, it might be best for us to go over our particular talents so that we aren't surprised by one another if things are tense. It'll also help us with tactics during battle as well. Since I broached the subject, I'd be happy to go first. I'm a spiritualist, or rather someone who specializes in communicating with and battling those beings that are dead but still tied to this world. I'm pretty handy with my scythe here, but I'm at my best when I'm fighting alongside Mika, the spirit of my beloved sister who looks over and protects me. I can call her out to fight alongside me, see things that I might miss, and to fight foes I might be unable to affect, such as other spirits. I know you're a pharasman friend, but know that Mika isn't a malicious spirit. She's bound to me through our ties of love and family, and escaped the torture of true undeath by binding her spirit to me. She's as much a part of me as one of my arms, and is no danger to anyone who is not trying to hurt me. I could even introduce you all to her, if necessary, so that you can see for yourself that she's no danger to any of you, or anyone else really."

Kahla would likely start this conversation over a later dinner before everyone has gone to bed if possible.

Razanir
2016-12-12, 09:26 PM
Chistery considers looking for a comfy tree to sleep in, but ultimately decides to follow everyone upstairs to bed.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-12, 10:29 PM
Mirela nods at the suggestion she retire for the evening, then immediately turns back to paging through the late professor's work, trying to find some connection between the works. Some hours later, she, too, heads upstairs.

[roll0] Blind INT check to see if I can put together what the professor was using these books for.

Well, that's a nat 20.

Celticbear
2016-12-13, 09:50 AM
From the looks of the OOC thread, I'm going to assume you all rested. If not, just put this post on the back of your minds.
With the morning coming to dawn, a series of events occurs.
The first is Lady Mirela's research topic, the Whispering Way. It becomes apparent that the two unholy tomes contain detailed knowledge of the Whispering Way's history to the faith in question. While the Urgthoa book is most helpful, it also appears that the Zon-Kuthon church has numerous dealings with the Way. While the detail is important, it is not useful at this time, but it is a thing to note for the future.
The knowledge about the Way that Mirela learned is as follows:

The Whispering Way is a secret organazation based in Virelyrch Mountains in south western Ustalav. The Way's goals as a whole are largly unknown due to the unique passage of knowledge that the Way uses, but the main goal appears to be finding the universal formula for becoming a lich.

The reason the Way's goals are so secretive is that their findings have never been written to parchment. They pass knowledge from convert to convert via whispering secrets into each others ears, ergo why they're called the Whispering Way. Writing or loudly speaking a secret is seen as a sin in the cult, and they repay those with bloody death. Leaving the whispering way is impossible and no one has ever done it successfully. ;)

The organization's most prominent member is the Mythic Lich Tar-Baphan, better known as the Whispering Tyrant. He was the greatest threat Golarian had ever faced, and he never was truly destroyed. While the story of Tar-Baphan is mostly lost, all in Ustalav know that he lay dormant under his tower the Gallowspire, forever locked... hopefully.

Tar-Baphan in mortal life was slain by the hero god Aroden, but was raised as a mythic lich nearly one thousand years later. He led an army (Tolkien scale army) of orcs and undead accross the face of the world and with each battle, his army grew stronger. It was not until the forming of Lastwall and the order of paladins led by General Arnistant that the lich did fall. Arnistant wielded the shield of Aroden, and was an avatar of the god himself. He led the charge and met Tar-Baphan on the battlefield, and fought valiantly. The lich grew tired of the battle however, and used a wish spell to summon Arnistant's heart in his waiting claw. The shield protected him however, and a holy shard of the shield flew instead of his heart, and the Tyrant fell in pain. The paladins sealed the lich in the Gallowspire with three wards, each heavily protected by the knights. The shield of Aroden lays broken, and the god with it, but if the Tyrant is destroyed and the shield piece reclaimed, then perhaps Aroden will walk Golarian once more.

After that good bit of reading, a sharp knock sounds the door. A townsman is waiting on the other side and he screams, "There's been a murder, you all have to see!"

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-13, 03:33 PM
Dmitri had just finished his morning prayers when the shouts came from outside. Murder? So soon after our arrival and the professor's death? The aasimar was beginning to suspect his coming here was not a coincidence. Pharasma, the master of fate must have placed guided him here, as the shadow of death seemed to have blanketed Ravengro.

"What is this about? Please, show me." Dmitri asked whoever stood outside the door. The priest was hoping he would have the time to investigate matters at his leisure, but events were unfolding too quickly in town.

PCScipio
2016-12-13, 03:37 PM
Lubella considers information that Lady Mirela has discovered. The connection with Tar-Baphan is disquieting. The idea that he could somehow be released is a bit alarming, though presumably the wards would be very powerful. Of course, there is always the possibility that someone else could attempt follow in his footsteps - it seems that the Whispering Way is likely trying to achieve just that. She will definitely have to copy the information needed for the upcoming investigation from Professor Lorrimor's journal, so that the book itself can be destroyed.

Lubella's train of thought is interrupted by a loud knock on the door, and an agitated townsman on the other side: something about a murder! She collects her equipment and prepares to follow the the man. "Can you tell me what happened?", she asks.

Celticbear
2016-12-13, 07:57 PM
A body was found next to the old statue of the warden. He had a long cuts on his wrists, and a huge letter was painted in his blood on the statue. A big capital K it looked like. You have to come see, everyone else is there!

PCScipio
2016-12-13, 08:23 PM
Lubella waits for everyone else to grab their gear, then says, "Lead the way."

Krogarn
2016-12-14, 07:39 PM
"First day on the job, and already there's a dead body involved. An ill omen if there ever was one." Kahla would remark as he grabs his things to head out with the others.

Celticbear
2016-12-15, 09:11 AM
The little man leads the group as fast as his little legs could carry him, and eventually you start to see the commotion. A large crowd is gathered along a humongous statue of what appears to be an aged man in regal clothing standing tall with a pitchfork. On the statue's left knee, there is a large capital "K" written in blood.

Everyone clear out! a voice in the crowd tries to say. You pin it to a man with a long expression and a nice looking hat. He pulls out a curved stick made of metal, holds it above his head, and pulls some triggering device and a loud thunder crack follows. (You make the connection that this weapon is similar to Lady Merila's)

I said everyone clear out! My team and I are making a full investigation, and we don't need your boots tramping all over my crime scene. Go back to your homes, and leave this matter to us! The mob clears out as instructed, and the man's eyes go to your group.
Did the circus come here or something? You don't look like you belong here. Except that one behind you. Like the rifle. Now I could talk about guns all day, but you need to clear out too.

PCScipio
2016-12-15, 02:26 PM
Lubella turns to the man who led her to the scene. "Who's that guy?", she asks, indicating the man who just addressed the group. She studies the man with the thunder stick and his "team".
1d20+7
edit (try again without the space)
1d20+7
not working - see OOC thread

Knowledge Local (Untrained, max 10): [roll0]
Knowledge Nobility (Untrained, max 10): [roll1]

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-15, 02:57 PM
"I'd wager the captain of the watch, or the equivalent authority." Dmitri chimed in before their guide could respond. Then he addressed the newcomer. "I am Dmitri Strauss, priest of Pharasma. I was told there had been a murder yet i see no body, only vandalism. A gruesome desecration to be sure, but a letter's worth of blood could be acquired from any creature." The letter 'K' was worrying, it could be a ominous message of danger to Dmitri's host. "What is the significance of this monument?" The aasimar realized he was pressing his luck by asking these questions but given the circumstance he thought it necessary.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-15, 04:22 PM
Mirela shares most of what she had discovered about the professor's activities with the group over breakfast, mixing in what she felt they needed to know about The Way from her own experience, leaving out anything that might tie her to the necromantic cult. Notably, she leaves out any mention of Lucimar. It would seem entirely too suspicious for her to know anything about the elusive Arch Curate.

Mirela follows the rest of the group out to monument in silence, having donned smoked glasses and a broad-brimmed hat somewhere along the way. It seems the noblewoman doesn't like the sun.

Upon seeing the gory spectacle, she lets out a low, impressed whistle. "Someone's got a flair for the dramatic"

Did the circus come here or something? You don't look like you belong here.

Mirela snorts. "He has a point. We're equal parts freaks and priests," She mutters, holding back on further questions to avoid overwhelming the watch captain.

Celticbear
2016-12-16, 06:43 AM
I'm Benjan, the sheriff, and if it will get you all out of here, the body was moved to the Church for further inspection. The Pharasmans know more about the living and how they work more than the law ever will. As for the the "K", it was studied, and it is blood, but it's blood of multiple creatures. Some human, some animal, hell the Church found squirrel blood making up a fifth of it. The blood is too dry to be done recently, so it must have been done sometime around midnight. The statue is of the Warden before the burning.
The man looks around at your unchanging expressions
You all don't know about the Warden or the Burning? You really aren't from around here. Listen, go to the library over there, and do your homework. The Burning is a crucial bit of Ravengro history, and your all fish out of water without it.
It seems Benjan meant for you to go to the library as more of a priority of staying here. He looks at all of you individually with an expression that says, "I could ask you to go nicely, but you all should be gone already"

PCScipio
2016-12-16, 03:01 PM
Lubella looks at the Sheriff. He seems like the Hellknight commanders in Korvosa: once they told you to clear off, it was usually counterproductive to hang around and find out anything more. She turns back to confer with her companions. "Dmitri, you might be able to get some more information at the Church." she says. "I'm not sure what my reception as a Sarenrite would be, so perhaps it would be better for me to locate the library that he speaks of and see what I can find out there. Lady Kendra also mentioned a library at the manor."

Krogarn
2016-12-17, 10:08 PM
"If someone is heading to the church of Pharasma, they should speak to them about picking up the items that were left to us in the will from that tomb. We'll need permission from them to enter, I'm sure. I'll go scope out this asylum a that the sheriff was speaking of. If the person who killed that man is using it as a base of some kind, I might be able to spot him from the outside."

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-20, 10:35 PM
"I shall be heading to the church this morning. Though given my order's hesitance with disturbing graves, I feel as though they may be reluctant to grant us access. Nevertheless, I shall see what I can uncover about this towns's history from them." Dmitrisaid. From there he bid everyone farewell for now, mentioning that he would return the the manor when he was done for the day. Then he went off to the Church of Pharasma.

PCScipio
2016-12-20, 10:55 PM
Lubella says, "I'm heading to the library. I'll meet you all back at the manor." She asks around to locate the library. When she gets there, she will see what she can find out about Harrowstone.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-21, 11:22 PM
Lubella says, "I'm heading to the library. I'll meet you all back at the manor." She asks around to locate the library. When she gets there, she will see what she can find out about Harrowstone.

"I'll join you. I know my way around books," People, not so much, Mirela added silently. They didn't need someone like her unsettling the locals.

Celticbear
2016-12-24, 09:56 AM
I couldn't wait till Razanir posted, so here it is.

It's snowing in Ustalav! All posts that have d20 rolls unrelated to combat are at a +2. Happy Holiday!

As Kahla climbs the uneven terrain towards Harrowstone, he starts to get a sick feeling that he's being followed. He passes it off as crazy superstition, but his sister confirms his fear. Before he can draw his weapon, he finds that he can't move. He looks around suddenly afraid. He sees a ghostly apparition that looks like a shriveled monk, his face covered by a cowl.
YoU DoN"t BeLoNg HeRe!11!1!!!11! Shrieks the apparition. You suddenly can move again, and the apparition disperses in a loud cry.

As Mirela and Lubella make it to the library, they are greeted by a strange figure. His face and body are cowled, but as he speaks he lifts the hood to reveal a horrifying face that looks as if a werewolf had decayed a great deal over a long period of time. Bits of flesh are indeed missing, but it isn't the face or the suddenness of his entry that startles you, it's the raw authoritative voice that that says, Ah, you two are some of Lorrie's proteges. I had hoped I could speak to the whole group, but it appears you all have separated. Forgive my sudden entry, but I am a busy man. Oh I haven't introduced myself! I am the Arch Curate of Renchurch and the steward of the Gallowspire. I am Lucimar the Lich Wolf he gives a little bow and then looks up to Mirela
My appoligies, but have we met before? I have this odd feeling I should know you. Bah it's probably nothing!
The librarian asks him to shush, and Lucimar points a finger at her and black energy swims out of it, reducing the librarian to ash.
My apologies but if you scream I'll have to take similar measures. What was I going to say before I was interrupted... OH yes! A warning is what I was here for. Man I could have worded that better. Well too late now. sit down let's chat.

Kogarn, you can run or press forward

TheFamilarRaven all I need is a diplomacy check to get access to the graveyard.

Razanir I need to know what you're doing

and PCScipio and Kiranvonstrom you have the options of agreeing with Lucimar or doing something else, note it is not a good idea to do something else.

this is the best Lucimar pic I could find.
http://pre01.deviantart.net/4d1c/th/pre/f/2013/005/7/4/741ce06432e7196807fb23a09142cd3d-d5qhwy6.jpg

PCScipio
2016-12-24, 11:55 AM
Lubella hestitated for a moment, taken aback by Lucimar's appearance and casual disregard for human life. She had expected to meet an "Undead Horror" in a dark dungeon or musty tomb, not a library in the middle of town! Given the display of raw power, it seemed unwise to fight the "Lich Wolf" at this time. Remembering her manners (and Manners were about the only thing holding her together right now), she replied, "I am Lubella Heathertoes," and bowed. Heart pounding, she climbed on to a chair, not so much sitting down as up.

To see what she might know of about a "Lich Wolf".
[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-24, 06:43 PM
Mirela curtsied in response to Lucimar's bow, immediately snapping to her noble manners. "Arch-Curate, I had not expected to see you here in person. It is an honor to meet you, but I am afraid we have not previously been acquainted." Do I give him my name? Do I not? Mirela thought, somewhat panicked, Will word get back to father if I do? Will it help my chances of surviving? Her face betrays none of her inner conflict, keeping the same vaguely aloof noble countenance that seems to be her default.

Mirela paused for a second, seemingly considering her options, "I am Lady Mirela Arsbeta Korvischia Tiriac, of the Varno Tiriacs. There's a strong family resemblance, it is perhaps possible that you know my father. If I may ask, what is it that is so important that brings the Steward of Gallowspire himself out of Vyrlich?"

Celticbear
2016-12-25, 01:14 AM
It's all coming back to me now! You're the bastard brat from Calaphas! Sierviege's daughter if I remember.
Lucimar looks a little shocked at the reaction that Mirela gave.
Oh did you're father lie? For the few short months he knew you anyway. I would use you as bait to draw him out if I didn't have more important things to do. Speaking of which, you and you're group are a very naughty bunch. See there are things that are being set in motion that will cause the next age to dawn, and I want as many people alive as can be for that day. But see, like Lorrie you are asking questions. Now then, the faith trusts its own
winks at Mirela,
and I am a very busy man. So here's the deal. I will give you... one month to leave Ravengro or I will personally take care of you all just like Lorrie. It'll be a quiet quick death that looks like an accident. I tend to give that courtesy for the members of the faith a warning before I bring the gods damned apocalypse right onto your doorstep and defile your corpses so horribly the jaws of your frame cannot speak in Pharasma's graveyard
Are. We. Clear?
I don't need a response I know you'll do the wrong thing and tell yourself you did the right for your short miserable lives.

Oh and before I forget, coming out of the illusion may leave mental scarring

As quick as he appeared before you, he dissipates as the rest of the library as you stand outside the doors ready to open them.

I won't use the pink script for flavor text anymore because it's to much of a nuisance.

Also PCScipio you learn that Lucimar is a special case of undead. You don't know much about the tale of how he got the wolf appearance, but you know he was human once and the Whispering Tyrant himself was his teacher at the Way. Lucimar along with Sierviege were on the Tyrant's personal council, and wherever he went, they were to follow.

Also Kirvan (can I call you Kirvan) sorry about the surprise parent thing, but it will help you do something extremely important in a later book. Once I saw "Dhampir and Whispering Way" it was like a match made in heaven in my mind. If you don't want the change though, I can edit accordingly.

PCScipio
2016-12-25, 12:16 PM
Lubella stood for a moment, her mind reeling as she tried to process what just happened. Suddenly, she cried out, "The librarian!" and rushed though the doors.

Celticbear
2016-12-25, 02:31 PM
The librarian stares daggers at you as the door slams with a loud thud. The illusion Lucimar created painted the library perfectly. The librarian is alive, the table you "sat" at looks like no one has used it, and the library itself looks unmolested.

Real talk though, the only way either of you could have made the DC 25 will save is rolling astronomically high. The first time an antagonist with illusion magic at his disposal meets the pc's I usually make the first illusion he uses non hostile and plot device level DC. That way, the next time you meet Lucimar, you'll know he's probably an illusion and can make the DC with a small bonus on my part. If you didn't like the surprise though I'd happily take some feedback from the OOC thread.

One last thing you guys can now make the know. history check that you need for Harrowstone.

Krogarn
2016-12-28, 04:46 AM
"Hmm, well I guess that answers the question of someone being here. Haunted buildings rarely have living occupants. I should see what the others have found out, and how good the rest of them are with haunts..." Kahla thinks to himself and his sister. "Get ready to formally meet the others Mika, I'm going to need you in there if there's more than just that monk in there."

With his inner monologue over with, Kahla heads back to town and to the house to await the others and see what they learned.

PCScipio
2016-12-28, 08:08 PM
Lubella's quickly apologized for her noisy entrance. "Of course he's alive - it was just an illusion," she thought to herself. "How embarassing." She spent the rest of the morning looking into the The Burning and related history, pausing only for a break for elevenses (light refreshments at about 11:00). She returned to the manor for lunch.

Celticbear
2016-12-29, 12:40 PM
As Lubella looks into the the burning, some facts start to become apparent.

The story starts with five powerful prisoners being transferred here nearly two hundred years ago. While the books don't name the prisoners, they do say that all five were serial killers captured all across Ustalav. One of the five was intelligent in the magical and scientific arts, and from rudimentary components created a potion of what appears to be levitate. He then summoned an air elemental to bring it to one of the other five, apparently a savage brute, and a riot ensued. As a last ditch effort to keep the prisoners in the lower levels, the warden set the prisoners ablaze. The fire spread however, and neither the prisoners or the guards made it out of the prison alive.

As you finish fact checking the story the familiar face of Kahla walks into the library. The time of day at this point is about 7:00.

In order to know who the prisoners are, I'll need a knowledge history, local, or religion check.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-29, 10:14 PM
Mirela's eyebrows shoot upwards for a moment at Lucimar's comment, then immediately return to their original impassive position. She seems to take the revelation that the entire thing was an illusion rather well, almost as if she were used to such surprises.

Mirela scans the stacks, collects a thick stack of books, and retreats to a dark corner of the library to read and research. By the end of the day, she is surrounded by a ring of open books, all of them neatly cross-referenced in a notebook in front of her.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
Knowledge (History): [roll1]

PCScipio
2016-12-29, 10:52 PM
In the afternoon, Lubella broached the subject that had been on her mind for the last few hours: "So, umm, Lady Mirela, excuse me for asking but, ah, how is it exactly that Lucimar might know your father?", she asked awkwardly.

Kiranvonstrom
2016-12-30, 10:53 PM
Mirela stares vacantly at Lubella for about five minutes, before making a dismissive gesture with her hand. "All the nobility of Ustlav know each other. The Tiriacs have ruled Varno county since the fall of the Whispering Lord, and the Way practically rules Vyrlich. It'd be stranger for them not to know each other. It was even, broadly speaking, true. The Way was such a prevalent force in Ustlav that a passing familiarity with figures like the Arch-Curate or the exalted Tar-Barphon were hard to miss.

"I think he mistook me for a distant relation, a relatively important man in Caliphas. Siervage is somewhat estranged on my father's side," Strictly speaking, Siervage was something like her great-great-grandsire. Or great-great-grandfather. Her family tree was somewhat confused, by its very nature.

This might be a good time to point out that it's a DC15 wisdom check to notice Mirela doesn't cast a shadow.

I'm just going to kind of go with Ristomaur being turned by someone from Siervage's lineage. That work for our purposes?

PCScipio
2016-12-31, 12:36 AM
It didn't seem that Mirela was going to respond to her question. Lubella wondered what was going on, and whether she should rephrase her inquiry, when the woman finally replied. Lubella wasn't sure what to make of it all.

After a minute of thought, Lubella spoke again: "If it was all an illusion, I suppose we don't really know if we were talking to Lucimar. Someone entirely different could have created the illusion, couldn't they?" She paused again, then added, "And if he was as powerful as he made out to be, wouldn't he just kill us now if he thought we were a threat? Something doesn't add up."

Some time later, Lubella noticed something very strange. She wasn't sure at first: was it just a trick of the light? Sure enough, though, whenever she checked, Mirela had no shadow. Did I just not notice before? Is she just an illusion, too? But no - when she moves a book, it stays in its new position. Is there some sort of actual creature that lacks a shadow? Lubella was uncharacteristically quiet the rest of the afternoon, as she pondering it all.

See spoilered text in OOC thread for DC 15 Wisdom check to notice that Mirela doesn't cast a shadow.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-01-02, 11:35 PM
"The Way does have its mercies. If we weren't directly affecting his aims, or the aims of the Whispering Lord, I doubt the Arch-Curate would see fit to kill us himself. A warning, I think, would suffice." Internally, Mirela's mind whirred. The idea that she might have given away her identity in vain, that giving up such a secret wouldn't have been directly helpful chilled her. After all, if it hadn't been Lucimar, then it could have been any number of powerful wizards in Ustlav who knew enough of her lineage to make such statements. And most of those people were Korvischior alums- pawns of her father, essentially. Any one of them could have given her away to Ristomaur.

"Not anyone. There are very few in Usltav who know what he knew. I think we can safely narrow it down to a handful of powerful wizards who might have that information..."
Mirela looked a bit panicked, her dark brown eyes a little wild, "If you don't mind, I should be going,"

Mirela pushed past Lubella, almost sprinting, retreating to a more isolated corner of the library.

At Kahla's entrance, Mirela appears from deep in the stacks, the whites of her eyes a little red.
"Good evening," she says.

Krogarn
2017-01-03, 05:06 PM
"Evening Mirela. You are not going to believe it, but that Asylum on the hill? It's actually haunted, with real ghosts. Here I thought this was going to be a really boring month, and now I've got a haunted building! Once the others get back, we should go get the items from that crypt and prepare to go inside. Oh, and we should see who probably died in there too. More we know, the easier it is to cleanse the place. Oh, this is really exciting, I haven't been in an actual haunted building on my own before, this will be fantastic." After his excited rambling on how excited he obviously is to enter a haunted house, he pauses a moment to actually look at Mirela. "You O.K. Mirela? You look exhausted, and it's only the first day of body guard duty. Are you sick?"

PCScipio
2017-01-03, 06:06 PM
"Haunted, you say?", Lubella said, as she joined Kahla and Mirela. "We had our share of excitement too." She filled him in on the illusionary encounter with Lucimar, as well as what they found out about the Burning.

PCScipio
2017-01-04, 05:53 PM
Later in the evening, after they returned to the manor, Lubella went to talk to Mirela in private. "Mirela," she said. "You seemed really upset in the library earlier; I didn't mean to be insensitive about your father. I don't know anything about your situation, and I don't want to pry, but - if you ever need someone to talk to, I'd be happy to listen."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-01-04, 08:15 PM
Mirela seemed unamused by Kahla's excitement, but also hardly afraid. "Haunted, you say? I'd believe it. It takes only a little atrocity to start a haunting, and I'd say burning prisoners alive counts. I'd not be so excited to be haunted, were I you, Kahla. Haunts can leave their wounds on the soul, wounds which might never heal," By the end of her statement, Mirela had adopted a menacing tone of voice, as if the unquiet spirits of the prison were at the library in person. Mirela smiled slightly afterwards, perhaps indicating that it was a joke.

Mirela smiled wanly, and waved Lubella off.

"Thank you for your concern, but I'll be fine. It was just a temporary fit,"

Krogarn
2017-01-05, 04:46 PM
"I'm not worried about the ghosts, this sort of thing is my specialty. Oh, right, I suppose I should introduce you to the last member of the team then. We're going to need her help inside the asylum if we're going to be trying to solve that murder, after all. If you all will give me a minute, I can call Mika for you all to meet formally."

PCScipio
2017-01-05, 10:42 PM
Lubella waited nervously to meet Mika, who was apparently some sort of spirit. Well, I was complaining to myself that life was getting a bit dull at the temple over the last little while, she thought to herself. Today certainly hasn't been boring.

Krogarn
2017-01-10, 05:36 AM
Kahla would bring both of his hands together, and close his eyes in concentration. After a minute, the air near him begins to shimmer and a translucent four-armed being would appear looking very similar to him. Above her head is a rose-colored halo of ghostly light, and she is garbed in what appears to be clothing designed for life in a desert.

"This is Mika, my older sister and now my constant companion. Mika, this is...well, you already met them all when I met them. Mika here normally lives in here," he would tap one of his fingers on his temple, "but, I can bring her out to help fight with me if I need to. I know she looks like a ghost, but she's not undead as I mentioned before."

Mika would nod to everyone. "It's good to formally meet you all. Please, do take good care of my little brother and I promise to help protect you all in return to the best of my abilities. I will answer any of your questions you might have to the best of my ability."

PCScipio
2017-01-10, 01:07 PM
"Very pleased to meet you, Mika," Lubella replied, bowing. I'm talking to a spirit that lives in the head of my four-armed friend, Lubella thought to herself. Yes, this is all perfectly normal.

Lubella hesitated. She didn't want to be rude, but she had so many questions, but she couldn't think of a polite way of asking them. Finally, she ventured, "Excuse me for asking, but I'm unfamiliar with entities like you. Khala says that you're not a ghost - what is the best way to describe what you are? And, if you don't mind my curiosity, are you able to pick things up or move them?"

Celticbear
2017-01-11, 07:02 AM
On Ectoplasmic Creatures in on the fifth row, third shelf, three down. Now could you please get out of my library. it's five O' clock, and I want some dinner. says the librarian in a rude tone.

Krogarn
2017-01-11, 07:12 AM
Mika considers how to answer the questions. "I am a phantom, the soul of one who died but managed to escape or avoid going to where many souls go and become 'undead'. I do not know how I managed this, or how I died. I do know that I'm bound to my brother closely, and can only manifest when he chooses to bring me through the ether back to this world. Otherwise, I reside inside his mind, offering him mental guidance. As to if I can interact with solid objects...Kahla, would you please?"

Kahla nods and concentrates for several seconds, and Mika takes on a much more solid-looking form with a light green sheen over her body.

"In this form, I can affect the material world in many ways as I could before. I am even able to help fight solid foes, if necessary. I can not possess others or fly, and I require the same kind of healing magics you do to recover from wounds. Unfortunately, I've forgotten much of my life and I have no idea of how I died or even exactly where I died. I know of what I am, and I know that I'm bonded to my brother, and that I will do absolutely anything to protect him. I can not be destroyed completely as long as he's still alive, so I have no restrictions to my actions needed to protect him, as nothing poses a risk to me."

The entire time she's been visible and talking, her mouth is completely covered by some ethereal scarf or cloth, much as her sibling's mouth always is, except his is covered by physical cloth. Although more corporeal looking and opaque, her legs are missing and there is simply a whirling cloud of greenish vapor in their place, although she does not appear to be flying or floating. The rose-colored halo still remains hovering above her head, as it did in her spectral form.

PCScipio
2017-01-11, 02:03 PM
At the librarian's mention of dinner, Lubella's stomach rumbled. "Perhaps we should return to the manor for supper," she suggested. "The others have probably returned by now, and I'm famished." Aside from the important matter of food, she was also eager to find out how Dmitri had made out with the church.

Celticbear
2017-01-17, 09:17 AM
Just so you guys know, we're doing roll call on the OOC thread due to the fact that I haven't seen that much activity from certain people. Once everyone has posted their presence, I'll get this thread going. Until then, I have to put a stop sign on the plot, but if everyone says "here!", we can get back to business.

Celticbear
2017-01-23, 09:05 AM
As the sun rises over Ravengro, everyone is feeling down over the last day's events. You waken groggily, with mixed feelings over whether you are ready to go confront the psychic horrors that await you in Harrowstone.
You all make the short trek towards the graveyard, after the halfling's two breakfasts of course, and two Pharasmin priests are waiting there to open the gates. They lead you to small crypt, and then tell you to only take the gear, and not disturb the dead.
Upon entering the crypt, you notice its perfect symmetry. Each coffin is evenly spaced between the other, every wall is synonymous with its partner, and the staircase leading to where the gear is perfectly clean.
That being said, everyone give me perception checks.

PCScipio
2017-01-23, 01:33 PM
Lubella felt some apprehension as she entered the crypt. She wasn't sure why; logically there was nothing to fear here - they were authorized to be here, and a Pharasmite graveyard should pose no risk of undead. Focus, Lubella, you don't want to miss any of the equipment we need. She looked around for signs of where the cache could be hidden.

[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-01-23, 01:47 PM
As the group enters the darkness of the tomb, Mirela removes her smoked glasses with a satisfied sigh, and rubs her eyes. It was good to get away from the sun for a little while. Mirela seems slightly more comfortable in the tomb, as if she were more used to walking among the dead than the living. She raises her head, inhaling deeply, seemingly to smell the musty air of the tomb.

"Nice place," She says.

Perception: [roll0]
Using my racial Detect Undead spell-like ability.

Krogarn
2017-01-23, 06:23 PM
Kahla would look around a bit, remarking that "I have always been impressed with how much respect human's show their dead. This is really quite nice."

[roll0]

*26 if involving a haunt

PCScipio
2017-01-26, 09:25 AM
"A nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here," Lubella replied. Why do I get the feeling she would want to live here?, she thought, glancing at Mirela.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-01-28, 08:52 PM
At Lubella's comment, Mirela nods, "Indeed."

Any word on those perception checks?

Celticbear
2017-02-01, 09:09 AM
You all see the signs of a person, or thing, being here recently. Disturbance of dust on the floor, the strangely absent sent of rotting corpses, and the two human sized cockroaches crawling towards you all point to... wait a minute.

Roll for initiative.

side note: Realized I should probably roll too

1d20+1

PCScipio
2017-02-01, 01:20 PM
Lubella recoiled in disgust at the sight of the unnaturally large vermin. Ugh, seriously?

[roll0]
Edit: forgot Chance Savior trait, total should be 13

Celticbear
2017-02-01, 02:05 PM
I will get this right!

[roll0]

Krogarn
2017-02-01, 02:25 PM
Kahla will reach for his scythe and shield as the roaches come into view.

[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-02, 08:18 PM
Mirela drops into a shooting stance, reaching behind her back for Natscha, almost welcome for the distraction.

[roll0]

Celticbear
2017-02-03, 09:04 AM
Initiative order:
Mirela
Kahla
Lubella
Roaches

Mirela what do you do?

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-03, 05:31 PM
Natscha is in Mirela's hands in a flash. The strange contraption looks like a long, badly mangled crossbow covered in hand-carved runes with a metal tube where the bolt should be. She sights down the barrel, aiming for the nearest cockroach. Seemingly satified with her aim, Mirela spins a series of wheels and interconnected levers on one side of it with her thumb, then pulls the trigger.

With a thunderous crack, the weapon fires some sort of projectile at such a speed that it seems to be impossible to track, and lets loose a cloud of sulfurous black smoke. The pale noblewoman spares a glance at her target before flipping the gun around to point up at the ceiling. She withdraws a long rod from somewhere on the device and jams it down the barrel, seemingly preparing to reload the contraption.

Seeing the bullet impact, Mirela smiles a bit, satisfied with her work.

To Hit: [roll0] Vs. Touch AC
Damage: [roll1]

Drawing Musket and Firing.

Celticbear
2017-02-04, 12:27 PM
Out of character, if you've played fallout four, you know what just happened to that roach, but if you need a visual...

The roach shoots back towards the wall from whence it came in a spatter of blood as what's left of its head flies in a different direction.

Kahla, you are up.

Krogarn
2017-02-04, 02:50 PM
Kahla steps forward, two hands reaching for and pulling out his scythe, and another arm going back to equip his shield. He gets within reach of the remaining roach, and pulls back his scythe to swing at the dangerously large bug.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Celticbear
2017-02-04, 07:06 PM
(Why did they use cockroaches? They die like... bugs. Oh right.)

Kahla drives his scythe into the roach, killing it instantly. This has to be the quickest fight in pathfinder history.

PCScipio
2017-02-04, 07:42 PM
Lubella readied herself to attack, just as the last one fell to Khala's scythe. Well, at least I don't have to clean my scimitar, she thought to herself. "OK, I've seen big cockroaches, but that was ridiculous!". she remarked.

She looked around to confirm that there were no more of the repulsive creatures, then started looking for the cache.

[roll0]

Krogarn
2017-02-04, 08:29 PM
Kahla pulls out a rag and wipes off his scythe, and puts it away. "Well, that was fun. So, where is this cache supposed to be?" He also would look around.

[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-04, 08:46 PM
Mirela is silent as she swabs out Natscha's barrel thoroughly, taking time to clean the gun more completely then she could in a combat situation. Mirela seems more focused on gun maintenance than her surroundings for a little while, lost in therapeutic cleaning. Stress that you hadn't noticed on her face seems to melt away, before returning as she finishes.

She slings Natscha back onto her back, seemingly satisfied with herself.

Celticbear
2017-02-06, 09:01 PM
In the far end of the tomb, you find a coffin that does not carry a corpse, but semipowerful magic items!

12 silver arrows
4 Sun rods
6 flasks of holy water
10 +1 arrows
5 ghost touch arrows
2 +1 undead bane arrows
5 potions of cure light wounds
2 potions of lesser restoration
Scroll of detect undead
2 scrolls of hide from undead
Scroll of protection from evil
A silver scarab with a ruby eye that looks exactly like one of the books Lorrimor posthumously gave you that is engraved on a box. The box is unlocked and contains
A brass spirit planchette (details here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/spirit-planchette))
Six haunt siphon (details here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/haunt-siphon))

PCScipio
2017-02-07, 02:12 AM
Lubella looked over all the items that the group discovered in the coffin. "Hmm, looks like I need to buy a bow," she remarked."We better take all of this stuff with us. If the professor thought we would need this in Harrowstone, I'm not going to second guess him."

Lubella looked around the tomb at the remains of the giant vermin and sighed. "I guess we should clean up a bit. I must say though, the Church of Pharasma should do a better job of keeping pests out of their mausoleums." She took off her cloak and rolled up her sleeves. "I really need to learn Prestidigitation," she muttered as she went to work.

Celticbear
2017-02-08, 07:18 AM
The roach corpses disappear and are replaced with children's corpses. They are bleeding profusely, but they still seem barely alive. Both are moaning.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-08, 08:56 AM
Mirela barely reacts to the appearance of the children, except with a small 'hmm'. The noble walks over to the closest child, kneels, and investigates its wounds. With one gloved hand, she clinically investigates the child's wounds, while with the other produces a wickedly sharp bayonet from her boot.

What caused these, I wonder. A child and a cockroach are very different targets indeed, and I don't know of any illusion magic that would cause us to see one thing and aim at a different point on it completely. Mirela traced the child's wounds, mentally reconstructing the battle. Of course, it is very possible what I am now handling is the corpse of a roach, which I have been made to believe is a child. Perhaps neither of these things were ever there. It would certainly make more sense than not for the crypt to have been empty completely. The Pharasminites are usually quite meticulous in keeping their crypts. Lucimar, or our Lucimar impersonator, seems to be dogging us. She seems unbothered by the moaning child in her arms, completely unfazed by the blood soaking into her clothing. Her stomach grumbles a bit, despite herself.

Mirela raises her head to stare at the ceiling, considering her options.

Of course, few illusion spells have any great range. Someone capable of casting such magic would either be so phenomenally powerful as to be comparable to the runelords of old Thassilon, or be present themselves. While there could have been a great deal of people hidden or concealed in some way in the library, when we encountered the first illusion. But here, the only people who might be present are myself, Kahla and Lubella. And, perhaps, Kahla's spirit. Or the children, but I think I can safely dismiss the notion of them as our mastermind. Kahla wasn't present for the first incident, leading me to three options:
1) Kahla's spirit is deceiving us. This, I think, is fairly unlikely, but not impossible. I'm unfamiliar with such haunts, but it's unlikely that a...whatever the hell it is Kahla is would know of the venerated Arch-Curate well enough to create a passable illusion of him.
2) Lubella is far more than she appears. I have no proof that she is who she says she is, and it would be well within the abilities of a talented mage to have deceived us such thus far. What an excellent cover.
3) The mage is here with us, invisible, and has likely already snuck away, I suspect to warn someone of the injuries to these children. If this is true, I believe we will know soon enough of this eventuality.

Mirela's gaze falls to Lubella, evaluating the halfling. Even over her smoked glass spectacles, her stare is a little unnerving.

Low charisma and high Int make for some interesting problems with people, really.

Perception on the children's wounds, to see what caused them, and how it lines up with our earlier fight with the cockroaches: [roll0] (Pretty sure that's my modifier)

Can I roll to disbelieve in the kids? I think Mirela has sufficient evidence to believe they may be an illusion.

Celticbear
2017-02-08, 09:02 AM
You can try to disbelieve on the kids, but your perception also detects a faint chilling in the air that seemed to pass you

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-08, 09:12 AM
Mirela suddenly stiffens, like a cat having caught wind of a mouse. Her movements are suddenly sharp, almost feral, and have an entirely unhuman grace about them. She drops the child suddenly, letting it fall to the floor with a dull thud. She flares her nostrils, inhaling deeply, tapping into things buried deeply in her blood.

"You're not hiding near as well as you think." She says, seemingly to the tomb as a whole.

Continuing to focus on detect undead, trying to triangulate the presence. If it's not undead, well, can I roll peception specifically to try to notice invisible creatures?

PCScipio
2017-02-08, 09:46 AM
Lubella rushed over to the first child and spoke a few arcane words to stop the bleeding.

1d8+1

During her incantation, she considered the possibility that this might be an illusion, like Lucimar at the library. I just can't take the chance, she thought to herself.

Krogarn
2017-02-08, 02:37 PM
If a haunt is involved, my perception would have been +5 higher as a heads up. Would that change me noticing anything strange about what just happened in the room?

Celticbear
2017-02-08, 07:06 PM
I did consider that, and your perception was unchanged by the kids.

Celticbear
2017-02-10, 10:32 AM
You see a presence looking over the coffin of lute, then when you say the "hiding" sentence it looks at you, and starts to run for the entrance of the tomb on all fours.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-12, 06:37 PM
Mirela pulls Natscha off her back, and whirls to aim at the thing her senses loosely conceptualize as a smell. She shoulders the musket, and spins the wheel locking mechanism, seemingly ignoring the fact that she hasn't yet reloaded the gun. The runes and magical diagrams along the length of the gun glow faintly turquoise for a second, and the flint hits the striker without her ever having pulled the trigger, letting off a cascade of green-blue sparks and a cloud of noxious white smoke. Something large and white streaks out of the barrel, apparently aimed at thin air.

I'm going to shoot at the invisible target, hoping that I can get around some of its concealment with the detect undead effect. I'm channeling snowball at CL3 (+1 for magical lineage, +1 for the campaign trait whose name escapes me) through the arcane gun.
Touch vs. AC: [roll0]
If it hits, the target has to make a fort save of be staggered.

Celticbear
2017-02-13, 09:00 AM
Whatever the target was doing, it stopped and is running for the entrance. The shot missed, and the creature is at an unknown location at this time. Give up the chase?

Krogarn
2017-02-13, 02:25 PM
Kahla would spin towards where the shot was aimed, looking around for whatever was shot at. "Did we miss one? Did you get it?"

PCScipio
2017-02-13, 02:36 PM
Lubella looked around at the sound of gunfire: "What's happening? Is there an enemy around?"

What happened with the children? Did they still here or have they vanished? It would really help if I could have a description of what my character sees.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-13, 03:02 PM
"Not anymore. Something was hiding around, invisible. I'd wager that's our illusionist." Mirela sniffed, "I missed. It's hard to shoot by smell," she said, by way of explanation.

Krogarn
2017-02-14, 02:07 AM
"Well, if something's invisible it's hiding, and it didn't attack us so probably best just to leave it alone, whatever it is. We got what we came for, so we should probably head on out and let the priests know we're done with what we came to do. We need start making our way to the asylum anyways."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-15, 08:35 AM
"Well, Kahla, I'm going to just choose to chalk this up to a species thing, but here in Ustlav people don't take kindly to strangers shooting their children. And if we could produce the corpse of an attacker, they'd probably be more willing to listen to us when we say we didn't attempt to kill their children. The alternative, of course, is to just wait around for the mob to kindly lead us to the gallows." Mirela sounds slightly annoyed as she speaks, swinging Nascha back over her shoulder.

"Were we in, I don't know, Barstoi or Varno, it would be much easier to get out of this predicament. But here, in the Palatines, the only law is whatever a secret society and a bunch of jumped-up peasants have to say about the matter. They won't respect nobility in the slightest."

I'm assuming, due to her background and ranks (I think?) in knowledge(nobility), Mirela has a pretty good idea of the political layout of Ustlav, and the existence of the Esoteric Order of the Palatine Eye isn't really that much of a secret. Although I doubt she'd recognize their symbol.

Celticbear
2017-02-15, 12:31 PM
When you look back at the children's corpses, they've turned back into giant roaches. It looks as if everything in the coffin is still there, but when you look back to the entrance the door opens and closes as quick as a flash.

Could Lubella and Mirela make me just flat out wisdom checks?

Your character does know about the EOotPE, and the fact that you as a person actually knows what it is saves me a lot of trouble of explaining it.

PCScipio
2017-02-15, 01:25 PM
More illusions. "Someone or something is messing with us," Lubella said to the others. "Let's get this cleaned up and get out of here." She grabbed one of the cockroach corpses and started to drag it out of the tomb, struggling a bit with the weight.

[roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-15, 06:59 PM
"Well, that certainly simplifies things." Mirela says."Unless, of course, it's just another illusion. Our caster's probably run off though, so I doubt it."

I have no memory of my wisdom score before mythweavers crashed. Hang on, it may be a day. But here's a raw d20 roll:

[roll0]

Celticbear
2017-02-16, 09:10 AM
You think that the speed of the illusion and the ability for casting greater invisibility is enough to identify whoever was in here a high level caster. Perhaps even Lucimar himself...

PCScipio
2017-02-17, 12:43 AM
Lubella paused her work for a moment and commented, "I wonder if the illusion of the children has any specific meaning. Could there be something in Ravengro's history that is being referenced?" She paused for a moment before continuing, "And why is an apparently accomplished spellcaster following us and showing us all this?"

Krogarn
2017-02-17, 02:31 AM
"I doubt we'll find out hanging around here. If whoever this is really doesn't want us snooping around Ravengro, then we should probably really check the place thoroughly."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-17, 10:53 AM
Mirela looks down at the corpses of the cockroaches. Something about the whole situation didn't quite sit well with her. Gently, she kicked the roach corpse ate her foot.

"We should probably let the priests know about this. Roaches reproduce quickly, and they'll not want an infestation in their crypts" Mirela says. And if this yet another illusion, I'd rather have a passable alibi.

PCScipio
2017-02-17, 11:13 AM
"Agreed," Lubella replied to Mirela. "This place seems otherwise well maintained. I don't understand how these creatures even got in here, unless they were deliberately introduced."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-17, 11:17 AM
"If they were never here at all." Mirela says darkly, walking to the entrance.

Celticbear
2017-02-19, 12:52 AM
As you go back to the mansion and into a long awaited bed with your new magical goods, a nice calm rest is followed by a loud knock at the door.

You arrived late to the funeral and arrived at Ranvengro to find the town in utter panic in the news of a new murder in town. Some people finally told you where Lorrimor's friends and daughter are staying, and you have just knocked on their door as spoken in the above statement with the news of the murder. Feel free to introduce yourselves accordingly.

PCScipio
2017-02-19, 01:18 AM
Lubella returned to the Lorrimor estate with the others. After a much needed dinner, and discussion of the day's events with her comrades, she retired for the evening. Although she was tired, her mind was racing with thoughts of Lucimar, illusions and what it all might mean. After a while lying in bed, there was a loud knock at the door. *Sigh* "now what?", she asked the darkened room. She got up, put on a robe, and headed downstairs to see who it was.

raspberrybadger
2017-02-19, 02:06 PM
When the door opens there is a tallish man standing a little awkwardly outside, wearing a hat, gloves, and a cloak that conceals most of the rest of him. He speaks precisely and clearly, saying "Greetings. I am a scholar of Lepidstadt and a friend of the late Professor. I appear to have missed the opportunity to see him laid to rest, but I am here to pay my respects regardless. Moreover, given all he has done for me, it is the least I can do to inquire as to whether there is anything I can do for him - now that he cannot do it himself, that is."

I know he hasn't mentioned the murder yet. Salem can, or I'll have Kelenos do it once introductions are made.

Athaleon
2017-02-19, 03:31 PM
"Salem Whitlock," the other newcomer introduced himself simply. He was tall and thin, with a more weathered and severe look about him than his relative youth suggested. He rather conspicuously bore a pistol on one hip and a longsword on the other. "I too am a friend of the late Professor, and a colleague on his field work. Unfortunately I could not arrive in time for the service, but I have since paid my respects in private."

PCScipio
2017-02-19, 08:06 PM
"Please come in," Lubella replied. The blond, blue-eyed halfling woman was wearing what looked to be a child's housecoat, although it was still much too big for her, for she stood only 3 ft tall. "I am Lubella Heathertoes; I also came here for the funeral. Are you hungry? I can heat up some soup. There's also bread and cheese if you would prefer that."

Athaleon
2017-02-19, 08:50 PM
"That sounds wonderful. I've had naught but salt beef and dried biscuits these past few days." Salem smiled down at the halfling as he entered. "I'd have supped at the inn, but the townsfolk seem out of sorts."

raspberrybadger
2017-02-19, 09:38 PM
Kelenos adds "Yes, which only stands to reason as there is a rumor of murder. Not a commonplace one either - a letter painted in blood in the center of the town seems to be involved. The details might be a little off, but rumors like that would be unlikely if there were not at least a minor conspiracy involved - if not serious magic or politics. I myself do not live here, and I assume Salem does not as well. Perhaps you would know more about what is going on here. Or the professor's daughter, if it would not be inappropriate to intrude on her grief."

PCScipio
2017-02-20, 12:08 AM
"Yes, there was a capital K painted in blood on the statue's left knee," Lubella replied. "The sheriff chased us off before we could look around any further. Apparently the blood is a mixture of animal and human. I'm afraid that's all we know at the moment. As for the professor, it's my opinion he was murdered as well." As she was talking, she discretely touched each newcomer briefly on the arm or hand to make sure they weren't illusions, as there had been all too many of those in the last couple of days.

"Excuse me while I get that soup started," Lubella said, and headed into the kitchen.

Athaleon
2017-02-20, 02:31 AM
Salem's expression hardened at the comment that the Professor may have been murdered. "I see. Is anyone investigating?"

Krogarn
2017-02-20, 02:04 PM
The four-armed Kahla would come downstairs to see what the new commotion was about. "Do we have visitors at this time of night? Friends of the Professor, or more angry townsfolk?"

Athaleon
2017-02-20, 02:41 PM
The four-armed Kahla would come downstairs to see what the new commotion was about. "Do we have visitors at this time of night? Friends of the Professor, or more angry townsfolk?"

Salem blinked in surprise at the... person who just came down the stairs, who looked like no one he'd ever seen or heard of, before remembering his manners. "The, ah, first one. I'm Salem, used to accompany the Professor on his field work."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-20, 06:49 PM
Mirela excuses herself as soon as the group makes it back to the Lorrimor manor, grabbing a loaf of bread from the kitchen as she makes a beeline for the library, pausing only to change from one antiquated suit to another, less gore-stained, but equally black and unfashionable suit. For the next several hours, she pores over the professor's notes, hoping to find anything else that might suggest the identity of the illusionist, any suspicious figures the professor might have made note of, pausing only occasionally to take a bite of bread.

Upon hearing unfamiliar voices downstairs, Mirela grabs Natscha, quickly loads the musket, and makes her way toward the kitchen at a brisk walk.

Following Kahla down the stairs a few moments later is a short, androgynous figure wearing exquisitely-tailored formal clothing that had not been in style for roughly fifty years, carrying a beaten-up rifle longer than she was tall. Her long white hair is haphazardly tied back into a loose ponytail, and her eyes are such a deep red that they verge into brown.

She pauses for a moment, inhaling deeply, as though she were trying to pinpoint a scent before raising the musket to point at Salem, the more immediately dangerous of the two visitors.

"More illusions?" She says, not seemingly directed at anyone in the room. She sniffs again, and frowns, lowering the gun, her gaze falling on Kelenos. "Apparently not. Do we have any guarantee that you are who you say you are?"

Seems in character for Mirela to automatically assume illusion magic at this point. Using another use of detect undead for the day, trying to sniff out the invisible spellcaster who is almost certainly not there.

Also relevant, a roll to disbelieve in fellow party members [roll0]
EDIT: Well, glad to have rolled that one out on a pointless check.

PCScipio
2017-02-20, 07:18 PM
"Lady Mirela, these are guests who were invited to the funeral but were delayed on the road," Lubella said, giving her a pointed look. To the newcomers she added, "Please excuse Mirela's suspicion - we have experienced some disturbing illusions since the service."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-20, 07:59 PM
"We have been dogged by an undead illusionist with a vested interest in silencing us, you will excuse my caution when dealing with strangers coming in in the dead of the night," Mirela glares, "But it's not here right now, so it's at least unlikely you're an illusion,"

raspberrybadger
2017-02-20, 09:15 PM
Kelenos thinks a moment and replies "In fairness, I do have to admit that I have some little skill as an illusionist - I can change my appearance at least for a short while, or bring up a figment out of nowhere. So I can certainly understand caution. But yes, I am Kelenos, I am neither an illusion nor the illusionist you speak of, and I was a student of the Professor and his friend.

If it would help, Salem here seems entirely willing to demonstrate he is not an illusion by eating something. For that matter, so am I. To my knowledge, the illusion spell has not yet been researched which can eat bread, though to make the test truly rigorous you would need to wait for digestion to reach its natural endpoint.

More seriously, I find myself curious what is so important as to draw the attention of a skilled illusionist. That murder in town may have come cheap, but quality illusions do not. That means there is something someone very much wants to distract from - and has the skill or the funds to make a serious go of it. At the very least, I should like to know whether these things have anything to do with the Professor's death.

Aware that he has spoken for too long, he uses that as a sort of natural endpoint to let someone else talk.

PCScipio
2017-02-20, 09:42 PM
After listening to Kelenos, Lubella replied, "From his journal, it would seem that Professor Lorrimor experienced an illusion very similar to one Mirela and I encountered - that of the 'Lich-Wolf' Lucimar. We went into the library in town and had a rather one-sided conversation with him; he warned us against following up on the Professor's investigations. When the illusion finished, we found ourselves outside the door, having not actually entered as we thought we had." Lubella fell silent, wondering if she was speaking too freely with people she had just met.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-21, 12:42 AM
Mirela listens in barely chastened silence. Her finger stlll hasn't left the trigger of her gun. "Before his death, the professor had been meddling in the affairs of the Whispering Way, the strongest church in Ustlav. And investigation which culuminated, fatally, at the ruins of the prison just outside town. Ruins that our illusionist seems very keen to protect,"

Mirela paused for a moment.

"If you were expected at the funeral, you may well be one of the parties mentioned in the late professor's will. He had some last bequests that you may find yourself inclined to fulfill,"

Athaleon
2017-02-21, 03:06 AM
Right on the heels of hearing his friend may have been murdered, looking down the barrel of a musket under the late Professor's own roof put Salem in a foul mood. "Don't point a gun at anything you aren't willing—" he snapped, before he stopped himself to rephrase slightly, "any target you're unsure of." He stood silently until the mention of the Professor's last requests. "Did he mention any task for me, specifically? It would be my honor to fulfill Petros' last wishes, though of course the matter of this illusionist takes precedence. Doubly so if he is somehow connected to our friend's death."

Celticbear
2017-02-21, 09:09 AM
Lady Kendra is dressed in a dark red dress, as she usually is, and she is looking at the door in a tired manner.
What in the world is going on here? she asks, How many adventurers are going to come and go from my house?!

PCScipio
2017-02-21, 03:34 PM
Lubella was a bit perturbed by the general lack of manners when meeting guests. She hoped that a proper formal introduction might remind everyone of the proper etiquette. "Lady Kendra, may I introduce Salem Whitlock and Kelenos. My understanding is that they were also invited to the funeral, but were delayed. Gentlemen, Lady Kendra, Professor Lorrimor's daughter." She then set about serving food to the hungry new arrivals.

raspberrybadger
2017-02-22, 02:33 AM
Kelenos is torn between responding to Lady Kendra and Lubella. As it is, he thinks fast and comes up with something he can say that sort of answers both: "Pleased to meet you. More scholar than adventurer I, though the pursuit of knowledge does sometimes lead to interesting journeys." With a nod at Mirela, he takes a bite of the food.

Athaleon
2017-02-22, 03:49 AM
"Sorry about all the commotion, miss. Your father was a good friend; if there's anything you need in these days of grief, I'd be happy to oblige." Salem bowed sincerely but somewhat awkwardly, clearly not used to the motions.

Celticbear
2017-02-22, 09:02 AM
By the time my father died he must have run into a petting zoo for all of the things that are coming here. First the wolf man now this! says lady Kendra to herself as she walks back up the stairs.

PCScipio
2017-02-22, 10:22 PM
"Please excuse Lady Kendra. I'm sure she's under a lot of stress from her loss and the sudden influx of new people. I'll go and see about temporary sleeping quarters," Lubella said to the newcomers. "Tomorrow we can set things up properly, but at least you'll have a comfortable place to lay your head down tonight." After a few minutes she returned and showed them the arrangements. "It's late, so I think I should be going upstairs to bed. See you in the morning - sleep well!"

raspberrybadger
2017-02-23, 01:46 AM
Kelenos feels a need to respond to Lady Kendra, and is curious about the wolf man mentioned - but he understands she might be grieving, and the way she talks is making him nervous. So, when Lubella offers temporary sleeping quarters, that allows him a way to make the anxiety go away, and he takes it.

Athaleon
2017-02-23, 03:05 AM
Salem nodded. "I think a good night's rest would do us all some good. Proper introductions in the morning." With that, he went straight to the proffered sleeping quarters and retired for the night.

Celticbear
2017-02-23, 06:50 AM
The morning arises, and sure enough the rumors of another murder were true. Many of the townsfolk gather around the statue of Warden Hawkren in terror as they all see the letter "E" printed in blood just above the first. This time however, Benjan is ready for the mob and already posted guards near each entrance to the Statue, vigilantly guarding against a mob. After your morning meal, loud bells sound outside the house. Kendra goes to open the door and finds a commoner standing with a plethora of others behind him.

The commoner shouts The Mayer of Ravengro has called for action. At three in the afternoon, a meeting at the town hall is being held to try and find the cause behind the murders. As a woman of high standing, Lady Kendra you are required to attend.

PCScipio
2017-02-23, 03:21 PM
At breakfast, Lubella talked with Salem and Kelenos about their experiences with Prof. Lorrimor and satisfied herself that they knew him had been invited to to funeral. She filled them in on the contents of the will, the journal, and and the events of the last two days.

When Kendra received the summons to the town meeting, Lubella speaks to her and the others: "If it is permitted, we should attend this meeting. I can't help but feel that these murders are somehow connected with Prof. Lorrimor's death."

raspberrybadger
2017-02-23, 03:45 PM
Kelenos, though still uncomfortable here, responds out of duty, saying I agree. If they do turn out to be unconnected we will have done a service - and may even have bought some goodwill, though that seems unlikely with the public mood being what it is. At best, we may discover a useful connection to the Professor's death or unfinished work.

There is a dark side to that though - if the murder is connected, then opposition is likely. And, from what has happened already, not necessarily straightforward opposition.

Krogarn
2017-02-23, 09:58 PM
"Perhaps it might not be such a good idea for all of us to go, the townsfolk already have proven to dislike our presence here, and with a second murder in as many days having occurred..." He leaves it hanging, offering a small pair of shrugs. "Besides, meetings are so boring. We can use the time they are spending in the meeting, where Lady Kendra should be quite safe enough in broad daylight among the town and so many witnesses, instead searching Harrowstone for clues."

Athaleon
2017-02-24, 12:32 AM
"Three in the afternoon is a bit awkward, but it still gives us enough time to do some investigating. If there is a connection between all of these murders, then maybe there is some clue in Harrowstone that we could take to the meeting. And it's possible that someone else in town came across something important. At the very least, we should go just so it doesn't look like we're avoiding the public," Salem argued.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-24, 08:21 AM
Mirela shows up to breakfast somewhat late, looking slightly tired. She listens to the conversation in silence, although during a lull in conversation she awkwardly apologizes for not having introduced herself, naming herself as "Lady Mirela Arsbeta Korvischia Tiriac, of the Varno Tiriacs,"

At the news of another murder, Mirela seems astonishingly unsurprised, although when she hears the details of it, she gives Lady Kendra a long hard look. My lady, I begin to suspect that you are more involved in this than you think. Perhaps all this time, we have not been Lucimar's primary targets. An honor, I think, that may well fall to you. Mirela thinks to herself, her face, as usual, giving nothing away.

The question is, first of all, what could our interloper want with Harrowstone? What of that that necessitates the death of the professor, and, quite possibly, intimidating Lady Kendra, who seems to be somewhat peripheral to all of this. Or, perhaps I am thinking of this wrong. What does Harrowstone want with the Lorrimors? Mirela listens to the conversation in silence, caught up in her own thoughts.

"I think," she finally breaks her silence, "Now more than ever, it is necessary to go to the library. However, before I leave, Kahla, I must ask, where exactly did you see that apparition of a monk?"

Mirela knows better than to attend a meeting where her lack of ability with people and her flaw might make things more complicated than they need to be.

PCScipio
2017-02-24, 12:21 PM
After Mirela spoke, Lubella replied, "Do you have a theory about the manifestation of the image of the monk?" After waiting for her colleague's reply, she added in response to an earlier suggestion,"Before any investigation of Harrowstone, we should buy a bow so someone can use the special arrows Petros left for us. He must have thought them important."

Lubella had been wondering for a while about the significance of the letters written in blood. Suddenly, it hit her: K-E-ndra. It could be just a coincidence, but it was an alarming thought. She waited for a chance to speak to the others in private so as not to frighten Kendra with a conjecture.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-24, 01:40 PM
Mirela smiled slightly at Lubella, "I think I rather do. Our spectral friend may well be the key to understanding the connection between the prison and the illusionist. Kahla, how far away from the prison did this spirit show itself?"

raspberrybadger
2017-02-24, 04:18 PM
Kelenos keeps most of his attention on Kahla, because the question just asked sounds important, and a possible key to the matter. Still, Salem had a point too, and he doesn't want it dropped, so he takes Salem aside for just a moment and asks quietly "I am not half bad at investigations. Is there some particular question you want me to look into around town?"

Celticbear
2017-02-24, 06:19 PM
You saw the ghost right inside the main gates.

Krogarn
2017-02-24, 10:55 PM
"The ghostly man was just inside the main gates, likely unable to venture out further. Most ghosts are tied to the places they died, after all."

PCScipio
2017-02-24, 11:31 PM
"As Salem has pointed out, we may learn more information at the town meeting," Lubella commented. "We don't all necessarily have to be there, but I at least would like to attend."

Athaleon
2017-02-25, 04:44 AM
Mirela shows up to breakfast somewhat late, looking slightly tired. She listens to the conversation in silence, although during a lull in conversation she awkwardly apologizes for not having introduced herself, naming herself as "Lady Mirela Arsbeta Korvischia Tiriac, of the Varno Tiriacs,"

"Salem Whitlock, of Morcei," he introduced himself simply.

"Before any investigation of Harrowstone, we should buy a bow so someone can use the special arrows Petros left for us. He must have thought them important."

"I'm a decent shot with a bow. They're not cheap, and I don't have much coin to put towards it, but I'll give what I can if Petros thought it was important."

raspberrybadger
2017-02-25, 01:25 PM
Kelenos adds No, they are not cheap. I have some twenty gold that I can, as you say, put towards a bow. I also have a few elemental magics if they are needed against the undead.

PCScipio
2017-02-25, 01:34 PM
"I don't know what the prices are like in this town, but with my 51 gp we're probably close to affording a longbow," replied Lubella. "Why don't we see what's available?"

Celticbear
2017-02-25, 05:24 PM
The town arms dealer is willing to put a starting price on a longbow for 80 gp.

PCScipio
2017-02-25, 07:19 PM
Lubella told the others, "I'm going to go and see about buying a longbow." After asking around for the location of the arms dealer she arrives at his/her place of business. She tried to negotiate the price: "There's a murderer on the loose! My friends and I need to stop this mayhem!"

[roll0]

Krogarn
2017-02-26, 03:46 AM
"This isn't our town, so I'm not sure they would want outsiders being present at their town meeting. Meeting's are also very boring, far too much talking with no action taken. Best we deal with the problem at Harrowstone and then hopefully catch the murderer before more bodies appear."

raspberrybadger
2017-02-27, 02:14 AM
Kelenos replies "Did you have something in mind besides investigating the gates?"

Athaleon
2017-02-27, 04:24 AM
"Whether we decide to go to the meeting or not, that's in the afternoon, and we are more or less agreed to go investigate Harrowstone today. Let's get that bow and head out there, and based on what we find out there we can just play it by ear." Salem suggested.

Celticbear
2017-02-27, 08:59 AM
Lubella told the others, "I'm going to go and see about buying a longbow." After asking around for the location of the arms dealer she arrives at his/her place of business. She tried to negotiate the price: "There's a murderer on the loose! My friends and I need to stop this mayhem!"

Sure, and a little girl like you will make all the bad monsters go away. 80 gp!

PCScipio
2017-02-27, 10:11 AM
Sure, and a little girl like you will make all the bad monsters go away. 80 gp!
Lubella reluctantly paid the quoted price and returned with the longbow.

Lubella pays 51gp (need 29 more from others - post in OOC thread).

raspberrybadger
2017-02-27, 05:07 PM
Seeing Lubella return with the bow, Kelenos says "We head to Harrowstone then, unless there is further planning to do?"

Celticbear
2017-02-28, 09:01 AM
Once we figure out the bow situation, I'll start getting my horde of monster's ready at Harrowstone for you're arrival. Unless anyone has any questions or wants to o some research first though.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-02-28, 01:40 PM
"The ghostly man was just inside the main gates, likely unable to venture out further. Most ghosts are tied to the places they died, after all."

"Indeed, but I had worried..." she trails off, "Never mind. If the ghosts had come unbound from Harrowstone, that would explain a great deal, but...hmmm."

"Before we set out for the prison, we should do our best to get a prisoner manifest of Harrowstone. I'd like to know whose ghosts exactly we will be encountering before going in,"

Celticbear
2017-02-28, 03:44 PM
The church of Pharasma must have some sort of manifest. Didn't my father's journal say something about that? replies Kendra.

PCScipio
2017-02-28, 11:14 PM
"Splatter Man," muttered Lubella under her breath. How did she not see it before? She recalled a passage she had seen in the library:

The Splatter Man: Name unknown
Crimes committed: Vandalism, Illegal use of magic, mass murder, demon consorting, necromancy
Mental Health: Unstable
Magical Aptitude: Spells up to fourth level
Prisons Held Him: None, recently caught
Nation Caught: Ustalav, under the jurisdiction of Lastwall
Total bounty: 5000 platinum
Sentence: five weeks of psychological assessment, then death by beheading
Description: The Splatter Man was a serial killer who used air elementals to kill random creatures or humans to gather blood, then write the name of a true target in the gathered blood to let them know that they were next. His crimes went unpunished for nearly 40 years. With uncountable deaths to his name, the splatter man's fateis sealed.He is being held in the lower levels of Harrowstone under watchful eyes of the warden himself.

Lubella's heart was pounding. If her suspicions were correct, there were five lives at stake: four to spell out the remaining letters, and Kendra herself! One has already died since I read that! We need to get to Harrowstone NOW! She spoke to the others discreetly, trying to spare Kendra the terror she would surely feel if she knew.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-01, 12:37 AM
Mirela turned to Lubella, and, seeing the dawning horror in the halfling's face, nodded stoically. "You understand, then. We have the better part of the week to lay the ghosts of Harrowstone to rest. Quite an undertaking." A slight smile crossed the noblewoman's face, seemingly unfazed by the prospect of a serial murderer terrorizing the town from beyond the grave.

PCScipio
2017-03-01, 12:46 AM
"The next person could die tomorrow or the next day! We must make haste!", replied Lubella. She couldn't bear the thought of one more victim if she could have prevented it.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-01, 01:54 AM
Kelenos' face darkens, and says Quite an undertaking indeed. Perhaps there will be a way to put that spirit to rest - a ghost with serious magical power is to be taken quite seriously. Haste is good, yes, but if we get a chance to learn something that will end such a threat without a fight, that would be even better.

Athaleon
2017-03-01, 02:48 AM
Salem nodded at Kendra's suggestion as he tested the draw of the new bow. "Better see if the Church of Pharasma has any information for us then, and then let us make for Harrowstone without any further delay."

Celticbear
2017-03-01, 09:16 AM
Through centipedes, intrigue, staying in character, and a quick wit you have all gained one level!

PCScipio
2017-03-01, 01:21 PM
"How much time do you propose spending pursuing the information from the Church of Pharasma?", Lubella asked. "There's no guarantee it will go quickly. I feel sick to my stomach thinking that someone else could get torn apart by air elementals because we were getting the runaround."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-01, 01:25 PM
Mirela shrugged, "We don't owe them anything. And, based on existing trends, no-one else is going to be attacked until tonight,"

PCScipio
2017-03-01, 08:18 PM
"It's not a matter of whether we owe them anything!", Lubella replied. "They're innocent people - I don't want them to die." We're very different, you and I, she thought to herself. She knew that she felt the pains of strangers more keenly than other people; sometimes that caused her difficulties. She couldn't help it, it really bothered her to allow other people to suffer if she could do something about it.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-01, 11:19 PM
Kelenos doesn't like where this is going, and jumps in: "I am all for defending the innocent, but reasonable measures to protect ourselves and make sure we can really put an end to this threat - these are the best way of defending the innocent. What defence is it if we fall in the attempt?"

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-02, 02:34 AM
Mirela nods, Indeed. Thassilon wasn't built in a day. We should go in as prepared as we can." She seems to be trying to ignore Lubella's outburst, out of some since of propriety.

For all her near complete lack of social tact, Mirela knew a conversation that was going to turn into a pointless fight when she saw one. Oddly, it was one of the few social experiences she actually could recognize.

Athaleon
2017-03-02, 03:48 PM
"Don't need to be owed anything to do the right thing for someone," Salem said simply. "If nothing else, it seems to me you're on some spellcaster's ****-list already, and what are the odds that there's an illusionist and a conjurer playing completely separate mischief in this little town?"

Celticbear
2017-03-02, 04:14 PM
Kendra interjects saying If my father were still alive, I know what he would have done. He would have left this house with enough spell components and provisions that could destroy and rebuild a small country, went to whatever evil was plaguing the town, and stop it! You all knew my father in some way, I don't care how. You were friends with him, and as his friends don't you want to honor his memory? I'm not blind you know, and I can spell my own name. I've heard of the killer you all have been whispering about, and I know what's to come to me if he finishes spelling my name. If you're just some mercenaries trying to pick up some blood money from a dead man then you'll go and stop this evil. If you really were my father's friends you would stop arguing, make friends with one another, and destroy this evil while doing so.

Kendra looks off for one moment, then regains her composure. I wasn't supposed to tell you this, but a wolf man came to me a few days ago, before you came here. He told me that he knew Lorrimor's friends were coming, and that if I told them he was here before you came that he would kill me. I think something else is going on, and it has to do with that wolf man, but we do not have time. Arguing over who is right or wrong doesn't matter. Stopping this evil is.

kendra seems to get an idea, and says benjan is the bravest man I ever met, and the most resourceful. I bet he'll have a bullet or whatever he calls that thunder cracker that can hurt elemental. If you go to him during the town meeting he can probably tell him of your findings, then go to Harrowstone after. It's the best of both worlds!

PCScipio
2017-03-02, 05:25 PM
"My Apologies, Lady Kendra," replied Lubella. "It is indeed my suspicion that you are being referred to by the letters, but I wasn't sure if it could be about someone else in town. Although the letters also are the start of Kelenos' name, I doubt that he is being referred to, unless there is some connection I'm unaware of.

"If Benjan could provide us some aid after the meeting, perhaps going to Harrowstone this evening would indeed be best. We will likely need to rest and recover after our initial exploration, so we can probably only make one foray today anyway." She wanted to face down this evil as soon as possible, but had to admit that she was inexperienced, and was going to need every edge she could get.

Krogarn
2017-03-03, 02:19 PM
Kahla would sigh to himself. "Alright, lets all go to this town hall meeting then. Meetings are so boring though, it's always a lot of talk and then nothing gets done."

Athaleon
2017-03-03, 03:17 PM
"Fine," Salem said with a frown. Kendra was his old friend's daughter, but he still resented the implications she'd made, and had they not been in grieving he'd have said as much. But she did have a point. "We can gather information while we wait for the meeting, then head for Harrowstone."

Kahla would sigh to himself. "Alright, lets all go to this town hall meeting then. Meetings are so boring though, it's always a lot of talk and then nothing gets done."

"Sounds a lot like us right now."

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-03, 03:32 PM
Mirela seems both taken aback and deeply offended by Kendra's outburst, a rare display of emotion on her part, but she elects to hold her tongue. She does, after all make a good point.

"This plan seems agreeable," she says, quietly dreading sitting through the town hall.

PCScipio
2017-03-03, 04:13 PM
"We might as well spend our morning productively," Lubella commented. "I'm going to go and talk to the priest who officiated at the funeral. Perhaps I can get permission to see the prisoner's list for Harrowstone." She made her way to the church to see if he was there.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-03, 05:13 PM
Kelenos breaths a sigh of relief as the conflict between Mirela and Lubella dies down - then looks quickly at Kendra when she starts talking. It takes him some time to digest what she is saying - and he's still not sure he understands the implications. Still, at least the conflict seems to be under control. So, putting what certainty he can into his voice, he says "Agreed. I will see if I can pick up further information in town, and prepare magically if I can."

With that he heads off to go shopping, asking questions as he goes.

Diplomacy to Gather Information to pick up whatever is common knowledge in the town, [roll0]

Celticbear
2017-03-04, 07:16 PM
They say the old executioner still roams the outskirts of the prison, trying to find more "prisoners" to execute. It's an old fairy tale we tell kids to stay away from that old prison, but the ones who ignore the warnings don't come back.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-05, 10:57 PM
In gathering up rumors, Kelenos has an opportunity to browse in a number of shops that might have something to do with former guards at the prison. So he was halfway expecting to find an object with some history. Sure enough, he finds a leather and steel pair of bracers for sale, worn in places but still wearable.

When he gets to handle it he's struck by the sheer intensity of the former owner's intensity, his will to survive, his determination to do whatever needed done to come home every day. It's not a comfortable feeling - but Kelenos knows he may need that intensity to survive what is to come. He offers a reasonable sum for some used equipment and sets off in search of the others.

Athaleon
2017-03-07, 01:04 AM
The story of Father Charlatan raised Salem's hackles, even as he politely thanked the local who told him the story. He didn't know how significant it would be to their investigation, but he resolved to tell his comrades about it when they reconvened. The rest of the time was spent trying to gain more information, but as it ended up, it amounted to making small talk with the locals and picking up what gossip they were willing to share. Not wasted exactly, but not immediately useful either.

Is the one Gather Info check the result of the whole time up 'till the meeting? If not, I suppose I'd just have him Gather Info about town rumors in general:

[roll0]

Celticbear
2017-03-07, 06:47 AM
You do not find out anything you didn't already know.

PCScipio
2017-03-07, 10:07 AM
Lubella tracked down the priest of Pharasma who performed Prof Lorrimor's funeral service. After some persuasion, she convinced the man to allow her to see the Harrowstone prisoner's records. After summoning Mirela, they looked over the list and found some new information:

Kessorianna: Warden Hawkren's wife who was visiting him at the time of the fire
The Lopper: A generic axe murderer
The Piper of Illmarsh: Used enchantment magic to calm someone down to the point of deliriousness while his pet stirges drained them dry
The Mosswater Marauder: Dwarven man who accidentally killed his wife with a hammer. Convinced that if he could put her skull back together that his wife would be resurrected. He was missing one small piece of his wife's skull, and started killing people to try and fit their shattered skull fragments in his wife's

While Mirela was with her, Lubella kept up friendly conversation with the priest to make sure he didn't look too closely at her companion.

Taking 10 on Bluff (10+8=18) so he doesn't notice her shadow deficiency.

Afterwards, Lubella thought of finding out some rumors about the town, but there really wasn't enough time and the locals were occupied with getting ready for the town meeting. She returned to the others and used her new Prestidigitation spell to make sure her clothes were clean. I don't know why I didn't learn this spell earlier!, she thought happily.

Krogarn
2017-03-08, 02:36 PM
Kahla, not being particularly happy with having to wait around again, decides to head into the library to learn about the intricacies of using the spirit planchette, so as to prepare himself for when they enter Harrowstone.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-08, 03:47 PM
Mirela follows Lubella in silence, trying to stay as innocuous as she could. This was, mostly, a failing proposition. Once the halfling got ahold of the records, Mirela bows slightly and excuses herself.

As she pores over the documents, one name in particular sticks out to her. "Point of curiosity, Lubella," she says, looking over the records at her, "Do you think it's possible to murder a ghost?"

Mirela was vaguely mystified by why Lubella seemed insistent on keeping the priest busy. While it did have the helpful side-effect of keeping him from noticing her shadow, Mirela had to wonder what Lubella was trying to prevent him from noticing,

A knowledge (Local) check, just in case we missed anything: [roll0]

PCScipio
2017-03-08, 06:06 PM
"I've never really thought about it," Lubella replied to Mirela. She paused, then added, "I guess there must be a way to permanently destroy a ghost, so I suppose you could call that murder." She glanced at the pale woman and waited to see if she was going to elaborate on her thoughts.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-08, 06:36 PM
"Lubella, the spirit of the Splatter Man may have no grudge against the Lorrimors at all," Mirela points to a name on the manifest, and says, with the tone of someone appreciating a joke only they can understand, "It is not only the murderers that become ghosts, but also the murdered,"

The name she indicates, in neat clerical print, is Kessoriana.

PCScipio
2017-03-08, 07:55 PM
"For that to be true, the Splatter Man would have to have the means to 'kill' a ghost.", Lubella replied. "I can certainly see the motive for going after the warden's wife. Admittedly it's not clear what his motive against the Lorrimors would be. Mind you, it could be someone or something else using the Splatter Man's methods, and Petros Lorrimor was done in somehow." No matter how she looked at it, she couldn't make sense of everything. She felt there was something important they were missing.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-08, 08:05 PM
"I firmly believe something else killed Lorrimor, as the Splatter Man seems to have a great deal more theatricality, but you bring up a good point. There are arcane means of killing a ghost, if we take what Kahla said to be true, his ghost, if it is his ghost, would have no way of reaching Ravengro," Mirela looked around suspiciously, than inhaled deeply, trying to catch the scent of the interloper.

Mirela uses her Detect Undead ability, a racial trait that has been now more useful than her class abilities as a Wizard.

IF she can sense undead in the room:

Mirela drops her voice. "I have an idea, but this isn't the place to share it. Our friend is here,"

IF she cannot sense undead in the room:

Mirela drops her voice. "I think, should we have time this evening, it may prove to be a good idea to wait around the statue, and see if who or what exactly is writing on that statue,"

Developments have lead to neither of these circumstances.

Celticbear
2017-03-09, 06:51 AM
You look around with suspicious eyes, but finally see a ping on radar. It is a very large ping, in fact, and a ghost wouldn't have such a large presence.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-09, 07:14 AM
I assume from that that whatever it is isn't immediately in the room, then? Not that it would matter, with the kind of scying we'd could be under at that hypothetical level.

Celticbear
2017-03-09, 01:53 PM
It is just outside the door into the room you guys are talking in.

PCScipio
2017-03-09, 10:09 PM
"What is it, Mirela?", Lubella whispered, noticing the woman's sudden alertness.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-10, 10:24 AM
Mirela removes a bayonet from her boot and sets it on the table, and cast her gaze toward the door. Steadily, with her usual lack of emotion, she says, "Our mutual friend from the library is outside the door. We need to leave. Now."

PCScipio
2017-03-10, 07:03 PM
There are two other doors, and the priest left
Lubella got up and quietly moved to one of the other doors, slowly opened it a crack and peered out.
Stealth
[roll0]

Perception
[roll1]

Celticbear
2017-03-11, 07:32 PM
rolling stealth
[roll0]

Forgot to incur the -10 penalty from the house's wards.

Lubella see looks around finding nothing at first, but she gets the feeling that she is missing somehing. She looks around agaon, this as time spotting the familiar wolf man from the library. He has a fazed look on him, as if he's reading or writing an unseeneasage, but when lubella's eyes lay on him, the spell has an audible fizzle.

Well this is awkward, says Lucimar as he starts to bound towards the door on all fours.

PCScipio
2017-03-13, 02:19 PM
Lubella let the wolf-man escape (What would I do if I caught him?). She studied him as he retreated, trying to figure out if this was his true form (perhaps it was an illusion). She returned to tell Mirela what she'd seen.

[roll0]

Celticbear
2017-03-15, 06:48 AM
The meeting takes place in the town hall, a relatively clean place in the south west of town. When you get there, the townsfolk are in uproar, and the mayor is having no luck quieting them. The sheriff looks displeased that he has to show his piece, but he raises his pistol up above his head and a thunderous sound follows it silencing everyone.

We came here to fix the murders, not to let the murderer know we are ununited! Now, firstly the mayor would like me to reveal my findings to you and let some more light on these gruesome days.
Number one: Thanks to the church of Pharasma, we know there is a murderer, and not some guy with buckets of pig blood. The casting of blood biography was cast multiple times on the statue, and there was human blood in there.

Number two: The murderer can fly. Now this may sound ludicrus, but yes it can actually fly. Through great amounts of effort, we found bloodstains from the victims that couldn't have been made at ground level.

And finally: The murderer isn't in this room. I've done background checks from everyone in this town, or those who have just arrived. From old man Gibs to the regal lady Mirela. At this last part Benjan gives a sarcastic bow.
Now then, any questions?

PCScipio
2017-03-15, 02:42 PM
Lubella whispered to Mirela, "Can you check if our friend is here, observing?" When the sheriff finished his opening remarks, she rose to speak. "I am not a permanent resident of this town, but I have some information that I believe relevant to this matter. May I address this meeting?"

[roll0]

Celticbear
2017-03-15, 04:39 PM
The mayor seems curious at your presence and let's you take the stand, motioning the sheriff to get a stool and for you to come forward.

Athaleon
2017-03-15, 05:23 PM
Salem stood off to the side and waited for Lubella to say her piece. He had some questions and comments on what was already said, but would leave them in case Lubella addressed them.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-15, 05:58 PM
Kelenos sees that Lubella seems to have this in hand. For now. This town seems fickle at best, but Kelenos is cautiously optimistic - so like Salem, he waits.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-15, 06:53 PM
Earlier:
Mirela watches the proceedings from her place at the table, feeling slightly smug. Blood clearly knew blood, and there wasn't a whole lot that whoever 'Lucimar' was was going to do much about that. The Arch-Curate, snooping at doorframes? No ascendent of the way would stoop to that.

"Lubella, let him go. Next we see him, I'd be interested to find out what's hiding beneath his illusions,"

Mirela nods curtly back to Benjen. He might be sarcastic, but at least the pretense of deference to nobility was nice.

"Give me a moment," Mirela whispered back, and inhaled deeply, trying to catch the scent of the dead.

Activating detect undead for the second time today.

PCScipio
2017-03-16, 12:20 PM
Lubella had been debating with herself how much to reveal at the meeting. Given the details revealed by the sheriff, she decided that there was no reason to hold back the description of the Splatter Man's methods.

"Thank you, Lord Mayor," Lubella said as she stood on the offered stool. As she often did when she was nervous, Lubella stood with her hands behind her back as she spoke.

"My name is Lubella Heathertoes. I arrived in Ravengro a few days ago for the funeral of Petros Lorrimor. Like you, I was alarmed when the first murder was discovered. Myself and a couple of the other funeral guests did some research in the town library and came across a passage of interest.

"Shortly before the fire that destroyed Harrowstone prison, a prisoner known as the Splatter Man was transferred there, although his real name was unknown. It is reported that he killed people though summoned elemental creatures of air (which would be able to fly). It seems that the first victims were killed merely for their blood, which would be used to spell out the name of his true target. The similarities to the recent murders are striking.

"There are two possibilities that I can think of: either the spirit of the Splatter Man has endured beyond the fire and is now killing again, or someone else is copying his methods for reasons unknown. I would like to offer any assistance I and my associates can render in this investigation." She decided not to mention Lucimar in public: she felt that this sensitive information should be reserved for selected ears only.

Celticbear
2017-03-16, 01:45 PM
This is some troubling evidence, thank for- the mayor is interrupted by a loud buzzing. It gets louder and louder, the ground starts to tremble and tremble. From the window of the town hall, a fire emerges. A roaring fire of death and loudness that shatters the hopes and courage of all inside. Screaming from both the fire and the guests is heard. A shrieking cocophany louder than any you have heard. You fight the fear and stare into the now spreading flames, and you spot five skulls, all of them screaming fire onto the floor.

Initiative: [roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-16, 07:06 PM
Mirela gives a short nod, indicating the town hall is clear of the interloper, and lets Lubella go. The dhampir has tried to sit as much in the shadows as she could, trying her best to hide from the public eye.

The smell of charr and death hits her nose seconds before the skulls break through into the town hall. Mirela tries to elbow Lubella, in some hope of letting her know, but by the time she'd gotten the halfling's attention, the skulls had already broken into the room.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (Religion): [roll1]
Initiative: [roll2]

Krogarn
2017-03-16, 09:06 PM
Kahla, secretly glad that something exciting finally happened at a meeting he was forced to go to, pulls out his scythe and goes to engage the screaming skulls of flame.

[roll0]

PCScipio
2017-03-20, 11:35 AM
Lubella watched in horror as the the flying skulls swooped into the room and sprayed jets of flame everywhere. Is this another illusion? She quickly recovered her composure and rushed towards the nearest skull, drawing her scimitar as she ran. She leapt into the air to reach the abomination as she swung her blade.

Move Action: move and draw weapon, Standard Action: attack

Acrobatics to jump and reach the skull with her scimitar (Lubella is 3'0" tall):
[roll0]

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Will Save to disbelieve illusion:
[roll3]

Athaleon
2017-03-20, 01:05 PM
Salem was caught off-guard for a brief moment, cursing as he realized he might have been roasted if the skulls had been trying to set him on fire, rather than the building. He drew his pistol and shot it at one of the skulls, hesitating a moment, careful not to shoot at one with people behind it in case he missed—or in case it was an illusion.

Move Action: Draw pistol (as part of a move action to close to within 20' if necessary)

Standard Action: Shoot at one of the skulls:

Attack: [roll0] vs Touch AC

Celticbear
2017-03-20, 03:04 PM
Lubella charges gracefully, but stumbles at the last minute, missing the skull, yet not one second later a bullet pierces another skull sending it to smithereens.

There are four skulls.

Krogarn
2017-03-20, 04:53 PM
Kahla steps up with his scythe, and then try's to cleave one of the flaming skulls in half.

Kahla steps up and pulls out his scythe, and then attacks the closest flaming skull.

Attack: [roll0]

Athaleon
2017-03-20, 05:07 PM
With practiced speed, Salem reloaded his pistol with a prepared cartridge of shot, wad, and powder and fired at another one of the skulls.

Move Action reload, Standard Action fire

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-20, 06:34 PM
Mirela removes Natscha from it's place at her back and fires at one of the skulls, the rifle letting loose a large cloud of oddly-blue smoke.

I'm alive! Natscha is pre bound-weapon upgrade right now, as I haven't had the opportunity to spend a bit of time with it.

[roll0] vs. Touch
[roll1] Piercing and Bludgeoning Damage

raspberrybadger
2017-03-20, 11:47 PM
Kelenos takes a moment to think, quickly pruning everything but the simplest responses to this problem - which leaves outright violence. Plus, skulls, so no frost. On fire, so no fire. Lightning is the first and most natural application of his gloves, so lightning it is. He focuses for the briefest of moments on the emotion still tied up in the gloves after all this time, the exultation at letting loose lightnings. So close to the original emotion's thought, it needs hardly any thought at all to direct the magic, only a target - whichever skull looks most damaged already but not yet destroyed. No sooner has he called up the exultation than lightning flows from his fingertips - not in a mighty stream as the original owner would have called, but in a controlled minor bolt.

To hit, touch attack, [roll0]
Damage, lightning, [roll1]

Celticbear
2017-03-21, 08:12 AM
Kahla misses with his scythe, and a bullet bounces off from one of the skulls, but the spell fire from the two mages takes another two down.

There are two skulls left. The fire has spread to the door. Smoke fills the air. Make fortitude saves.

PCScipio
2017-03-21, 01:03 PM
Where's that stool when I need it?! Lubella jumped again and chopped at the skull with her scimitar.

Move Action: jump (Acrobatics), Standard Action: attack

Acrobatics: [roll0]

raspberrybadger
2017-03-21, 07:40 PM
Kelenos still needs to line up another target, but his thinking is simplified. What he is doing is working. He lets the exultation continue to flow and lets loose another lightning bolt, once again looking for whichever one has already taken damage but is still fighting.

That leaves the question of what these things are, and why they are here. This can't be a coincidence.

PCScipio
2017-03-23, 09:52 AM
Lubella's eye's and lungs burned from the smoke. Gathering herself in a crouch, she sprang up again and slashed with her scimitar.

Lubella takes 3 damage (failed fort save)
HP 19/22

Move Action: jump {acrobatics), Standard Action: attack

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-24, 01:14 PM
[roll0]

I'll fill in a post after.

Mirela from the smoke in her lungs, grimaces, and holds her breath long enough to steady her still-unloaded rifle at one of the as-yet-untouched skulls. She mutters a few words of arcane power, trying not to let the gathering smoke foul up her spell, and Natscha spits out a bolt of blue-white energy at the skull.

After firing, Mirela seems to size up her options, and, seeing the door already in flames, runs for a window.

Standard Action Spell, then move action toward a window, rolls in the ooc.

Athaleon
2017-03-24, 01:20 PM
Salem grit his teeth and stood his ground, reloading with practiced motion amid the smoke and pain, and lined up another shot at the remaining skulls.

Fort rolled OOC; Salem took 1 damage.

Move Reload, Standard Shoot:

Celticbear
2017-03-24, 07:13 PM
Both of the remaining skulls are destroyed. The fire is spreading, but not as quickly as it was before the skills were destroyed.

PCScipio
2017-03-24, 07:59 PM
Coughing and her eyes watering, Lubella set about organizing an orderly evacuation. She gave instructions to the frightened townsfolk to prevent people from being trampled or left behind. Once the townsfolk were out safely, she helped organize the firefighting effort.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Fort Save (if needed): [roll1]
Current HP: 19/22

If a civilian is badly injured, she will sure Cure Light Wounds to heal them.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-24, 11:00 PM
Kelenos is itching to investigate the skulls, and he can't get it out of his head that their controller might be lurking invisibly or incorporeally nearby - he excuses that thought on the grounds that that theory isn't nearly as weird as a random skull attack would be. But there is a fire, and he can't exactly leave that to investigate. So fire fighting it is.

Diplomacy for organization and being able to communicate what needs done [roll0]

Knowledge Engineering for handling the structure of the building, safety, knowledge of what needs done [roll1]

Celticbear
2017-03-25, 10:18 AM
In two more rounds, the building will collapse.

Kelenos starts to order the screaming townsfolk to remain calm, and they start to leap through broken windows, or go out other ways. Most of the townsfolk have left at this point.

Athaleon
2017-03-26, 01:18 AM
"Everyone out!" Salem roared as he took one last glance around for anyone left inside the building, before he prepared to make his own escape.

If he sees someone he will grab and pull them out to safety, otherwise he will just leave through the nearest exit, jumping through a window if necessary.

raspberrybadger
2017-03-26, 07:55 PM
Kelenos sees the mass of people moving and leaves the building himself. He'd like to get started on investigating the source of the skulls himself, but first he has to make sure everyone is actually leaving.

Krogarn
2017-03-27, 01:04 PM
Kahla will also head out with the crowd, then start seeing to anyone that might be injured when they are safely outside.

PCScipio
2017-03-27, 02:28 PM
Lubella attempted to climb out of the nearest window, trying to avoid the flames as best she could.

Climb: [roll0]

Escape Artist: [roll1]

Athaleon
2017-03-27, 11:49 PM
Salem couldn't tell if anyone was left in the building, but he was as sure as he could be that anyone who wasn't detained fighting the skulls would have fled at their first appearance. Coughing in the smoke, he rushed to the nearest exit.

Kiranvonstrom
2017-03-28, 12:56 AM
Mirela doesn't bother to look back before smashing a window with the butt of her rifle and making her escape.

I'm just assuming we're on the first floor here.

Celticbear
2017-03-28, 05:29 AM
With everyone having left the building, they all watch in horror as the town hall crumbles to the ground. While everyone is whispering and frankly afraid if that is all to come from this escapade, Benjan starts to do a head count to make sure everyone made it out. Eventually priests of Pharasma rush to the scene, attending to the wounded, including you, and one dressed in more elegant robes than the rest walks up to your group, and says:
On behalf of all present, we thank you. We cannot thank you enough, but there is one thing I must ask. While my priests were healing the townsfolk, we scanned the grounds of the town hall, and what we came with was... shocking. It appears that necromantic energies were present here, but that isn't all. These energies were old. Extremely old. Seeing the burning down of this site here and our closeness to Harrowstone... well you have brought a reputation as detectives. We know you've done us a great service, and we will not forget this, but if you could go to Harrowstone and find out the source of these skulls, the town of Ravengro would be in your debt.

PCScipio
2017-03-28, 05:12 PM
There was a sound of ringing steel as Lubella drew her scimitar and held it aloft. "I, Lubella Heathertoes, pledge to seek out and vanquish this evil that is threatening the town of Ravengro!", she declared. "We shall depart for Harrowstone immediately."

Afterwards, Lubella went to talk to Benjan one-on-one to see if he had any items that could aid the party in Harrowstone, as Lady Kendra had suggested.