PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Regarding Animate Dead

DarthPenance
2016-12-08, 03:15 PM
Hi I'm new and currently I'm playing a True Neutral Wizard lvl 2 still, when I get to lvl 5, I plan on getting the Animate Dead spell and using it, I believe my group wouldn't mind, as they are Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Neutral, however, we currently are working with a Good organization. I have seen many guides saying that Animate Dead is really good and I should use it, so I'm asking if using the spell would be considered an evil action, my character does not as he considers all magic to be only magic, the user makes it good or evil, however could the organization and othet governments see it as evil and try to arrest me for doing it?

Sorry for bad english and thank you for reading and taking your time to respond to this.

Flashy
2016-12-08, 03:23 PM
It depends on your DM and your campaign world, but necromancy being extremely evil seems to be a relatively common interpretation.

SilverStud
2016-12-08, 03:25 PM
Well so very much depends on the precise nature of the organization. On page 203 of the Player Handbook, it describes Necromancy as basically super super evil. So if your DM goes by that, he will probably make the organization frown at you a lot. If you're in the Forgotten Realms, groups like the Order of the Gauntlet or Emerald Enclave would certainly get mad and try to punish you. The Harpers might allow it, as might the Lord's Alliance.

This is a good question for your DM. My players come to me quite often with questions like this, and I tell them as honestly as I can. Not that I'm perfect, but if your DM is any good, you'll be able to ask this without consequences.

So, to recap: if your employers are about Truth and Righteousness, or the Natural Order, or any variation of those, they will probably get mad.

EDIT: Ninja'd

JellyPooga
2016-12-08, 03:34 PM
So, to recap: if your employers are about Truth and Righteousness, or the Natural Order, or any variation of those, they will probably get mad.

...if (and only if) they find out about it :smallwink:

A big ol' robe and/or bulky armour with gauntlets does wonders to disguise a skeleton (zombies are a bit more problematic, what with the smell).

DarthPenance
2016-12-08, 03:49 PM
Well so very much depends on the precise nature of the organization. On page 203 of the Player Handbook, it describes Necromancy as basically super super evil. So if your DM goes by that, he will probably make the organization frown at you a lot. If you're in the Forgotten Realms, groups like the Order of the Gauntlet or Emerald Enclave would certainly get mad and try to punish you. The Harpers might allow it, as might the Lord's Alliance.

This is a good question for your DM. My players come to me quite often with questions like this, and I tell them as honestly as I can. Not that I'm perfect, but if your DM is any good, you'll be able to ask this without consequences.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Thank you, I will ask him later, we are using a world based on the Forgotten Realms I think, the DM didn't say the name but the organization is The Harpers, from what the poster below said, if they don't find out about it, it may be ok, so I'll talk with the party to see if they are against it, if they are, there's nothing I can do. Thank you for your replies.

Edit: Talked to the DM and party, it is considered an evil act and the party doesn't recommend it, so I'll not use it, I guess the familiar will have to eat the traps.

NecroDancer
2016-12-08, 06:39 PM
Raising the dead isn't evil, forgetting about them and losing control over them while your close to a village is.

Digimike
2016-12-08, 07:19 PM
You could talk to yoir DM/party about raising traditionally "evil" humanoids. IE an Orcs or Goblins. Try the whole "they were evil in life but can do some good in death" angle.

It should sound less distasteful than raising dead townsfolk.

Sabeta
2016-12-08, 07:27 PM
Heh, in my setting undead are typically sentient and free-willed, but also in control of a small pseudo-country. Even there necromancy is illegal because it robs them of the free will they're so proud of, but it's also pretty easy to get away with since everyone in the country wears robes and masks to hide their scars. I expect the party's resident necromancer will have fun in that kingdom. As others have said though, it's pretty common for necromancy to be illegal. It's also possible to break the law and not get caught. My setting strictly forbids mind-altering magic (see: Suggestion, Charm, etc). That didn't stop my Wizard from learning and using Friends. He just uses it on people who won't be missed.

AttilatheYeon
2016-12-08, 08:45 PM
Are u a Necromancer? If so, baggy robes and barrets (cuz no one suspects undead in barrets). Unfortunately Animate Dead is the highest and easiest DPR for tier 2 Necros. If u're not a Necro, u'll do more damage with Flaming Sphere and Fireball/cantrips.