PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder How to make Pac-Man?

Barstro
2016-12-08, 03:30 PM
There is another thread about making various video game characters. Does anyone have ideas on how to make the first* video game character?
*I believe (no research done) that a player controlled a single individual with a name.

Potential characteristics;
1) Ability to destroy ghosts
2) Ability #1 is only temporary, and the character is weak during downtime.
3) Can eat a lot.

My only thought is a Barbarian with Undead Blood. But I figure people here have some other ideas on required characteristics and how to get them.

SimonMoon6
2016-12-08, 04:06 PM
My first thought (based on appearance) is something like a beholder, sacrificing his eye powers... which is a Beholder mage, right? And then give him Ghost Touch as one of the spells he can cast. But oh, wait, Ghost Touch is a weapon enhancement not a spell, so he needs an amulet of natural weapons with Ghost Touch, I guess.

Barstro
2016-12-08, 04:15 PM
he needs an amulet of natural weapons with Ghost Touch, I guess.

Which would violate Characteristic #2; some reason to be weak against ghosts most of the time.

Hamste
2016-12-08, 04:30 PM
Spirit master monk also fits one and two though a drunken brute barbarian (sadly drunken rager doesn't work with it) with ghost rager fits everything.

Carries around a non-magical axe (at level 6, don't judge him. He spent all his money on booze) and whenever he sees a ghost he drinks a swig from his power pellet (read alcohol bottle), rages and whacks it for full damage.

frogglesmash
2016-12-08, 09:55 PM
The Famine Spirit from MMII is always hungry, and can use ethereal jaunt 3 times per day, but other than that has no way of attacking ghosts. They're even somewhat round shaped due to their morbid obesity. Sadly they are not yellow.

Kurald Galain
2016-12-09, 09:45 AM
Sadly they are not yellow.

The prestidigitation spell should provide an easy fix for that :smallbiggrin:

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-09, 10:22 AM
There is another thread about making various video game characters. Does anyone have ideas on how to make the first* video game character?
*I believe (no research done) that a player controlled a single individual with a name.

Doing some fast research, the earliest time a video game character is given any sort of name is Galaxian, which wasn't a name but the organization the player character belonged to, so the ship was piloted by A Galaxian.

The first one I can find where you play an actual named character was a Motor-Cross game licensed to say the guy on the motorcycle was The Fonz. Yeah. That Fonz. So technically speaking, the Fonz was the first video game character with a name.

In 1980, Pac Man was released, so if you are speaking of the first character created for a video game that was given a name, that appears to indeed be Pac-Man, though the characters in earlier games might have been given names later.

Draco_Lord
2016-12-09, 10:29 AM
Feral Gnasher I think is the way to go. Goblins are basically just giant heads already. There are rage powers that will make you effective against ghosts, and you solve your combat problems much like Pacman does, but shoving them into your mouth. When not raging you can't even touch the ghosts.

Kurald Galain
2016-12-09, 10:33 AM
Also worth mentioning: Alchemist. Your mutagen is the powerpill. Then take lots of discoveries that further boost the mutagen.

Barstro
2016-12-09, 11:44 AM
Doing some fast research, the earliest time a video game character is given any sort of name is Galaxian, which wasn't a name but the organization the player character belonged to, so the ship was piloted by A Galaxian.

The first one I can find where you play an actual named character was a Motor-Cross game licensed to say the guy on the motorcycle was The Fonz. Yeah. That Fonz. So technically speaking, the Fonz was the first video game character with a name.

In 1980, Pac Man was released, so if you are speaking of the first character created for a video game that was given a name, that appears to indeed be Pac-Man, though the characters in earlier games might have been given names later.

The perfect tangent. Thank you.

Barstro
2016-12-09, 11:45 AM
Also worth mentioning: Alchemist. Your mutagen is the powerpill. Then take lots of discoveries that further boost the mutagen.

I didn't notice any sort of mutagen that would give ghost touch (only a quick search, though). Alchemist was my actual first choice, but, lacking said ghost-touch, Barbarian was my first successful choice.

Martimus Prime
2016-12-09, 03:47 PM
If your DM allows some 3.5 crossover, you could grab something like a cleric with the hunger domain (spontaneous domain casting) and rp propensity to use those spells to the exclusion of others. It gives you a bite attack and a spell that grants you a temporary swallow whole effect.