PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rage Prophet as Bloodrager Archetype / Alternate Class

Ladygolem
2016-12-08, 04:43 PM
Most will agree that the Rage Prophet PrC leaves a lot to be desired, as a prestige class that combines two vastly different base classes and synergizes poorly with both of them. However, thematically the class is pretty cool, and with the later addition of the bloodrager class we get something a lot closer to the idea. Sorcerer bloodlines could be said to be roughly equivalent to oracle revelations, but of course the differences are enough to prevent a simple 1:1 translation.

What do you think would be the best way to go about this? An archetype could work, though if we really wanted to support every revelation it'd either be clumsy in balance or bloated beyond belief. Another approach would be to make it an alternate class, like the anti-paladin, samurai, ninja etc. That way each "blood revelation" (which would be to oracle revelations as bloodrager bloodlines are to sorcerer ones) or whatever you'd want to call it could be tailored to concept. A third approach would be to go the magus route, and try and design something that's completely unique mechanically but simply borrows concepts from oracle, barbarian, bloodrager, and so on. Thoughts on this?

Dr_Dinosaur
2016-12-08, 05:50 PM
Well the easiest thing would probably be VMC Barbarian on a melee Oracle, but an archetype could probably cover it as well.

Ladygolem
2016-12-08, 09:48 PM
You could do a oracle with vmc barbarian, but it'd be terrible. That's kinda the problem. I'm trying to distil the design process of how they made BR bloodlines from sorceror ones, and to see if I can repeat that process with mysteries. Any assistance would be acquired but otherwise will post in a few hours.

EDIT: Or in a few minutes, apparently! That was easier than I thought.

So, assuming we're making an archetype, that doesn't get any custom tailored mysteries/revelations, very roughly we get something like this:

At level 1: Oracle mystery of choice. Replaces bloodline.
At level 1: Oracle curse of choice. Replaces bloodline feats and/or class skills (mysteries don't have 'em, and bloodragers don't get 'em)
At level 4, you gain spellcasting as usual, but you get spells from the cleric/oracle list, nothing above level 4, yadda yadda, you know the drill. Modifies spellcasting.
At levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16: Choose a revelation of choice from your mystery, treating your bloodrager level as your oracle level. Replaces bloodline powers. (This is the part I'm most worried about, as I don't know how badly this could be abused)
At level 7: learn the spell your revelation offers at 2nd level of oracle. At 10th: 4th level of oracle; at 13th: 6th level of oracle; at 16th: 8th level of oracle. Replaces bloodline spells.
At level 20: This is where everything falls apart, because the final revelations include fun stuff like "cast wish once a day for free" and other such nonsense which makes no sense for a terrible caster like the bloodrager. Not sure how to limit this. Make a universal capstone unrelated to the mystery chosen? Only offer a limited selection of mysteries to choose from in the first place? I honestly don't know, and any advice here would be just grand.

So, thoughts, advice? The revelations, especially the final ones, are the part I'm struggling with most, and help would be greatly appreciated!