PDA

View Full Version : Learning Spells/Max Spell Level

SirNibbles
2016-12-08, 10:44 PM
Let's say I'm a level 1 Druid with 14 Wisdom. The highest level spell I can cast with that score is level 4. The highest level spell slot I have is level 2, thanks to my Wisdom bonus. Does this mean I could cast Flame Blade (level 2 spell)?

"A druid may prepare and cast any spell on the druid spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation."

What about Wizard, where it says that when you level up, you learn 2 spells of any level you can cast? If I start with 18 Int at level 1, could I learn level 4 spells since I have a level 4 spell slot? Can I learn level 8 spells since I have 18 Int?

"Each time a character attains a new wizard level, she gains two spells of her choice to add to her spellbook. The two free spells must be of spell levels she can cast."

The last part of this question is regarding Sorcerer. I am assuming that because Sorcerer has a table for Spells Known, you simply follow that table. If I have high Charisma (let's say 22) at level 3 (Sorc 3) and I decide to take the Extra Spell feat, what is the 'highest level of spell that I can cast' considered to be? I can cast level 12 spells (so I could learn any spell up to level 11), prepare 6th level spell slots (which means I could use Extra Spell to learn a a level 5 spell) but my spells known are limited to level 1 (meaning I could only learn an extra level 0 spell). Which one is correct?

J-H
2016-12-08, 11:14 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters

In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level.

At level 1, you can only learn or cast level 0 or level 1 spells (nitpick exception: Precocious Apprentice feat, possibly Versatile Spellcaster).
You can copy higher level spells into a wizard spellbook, but you are unable to cast them until you achieve the correct arcane caster level.

flappeercraft
2016-12-08, 11:28 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters

At level 1, you can only learn or cast level 0 or level 1 spells (nitpick exception: Precocious Apprentice feat, possibly Versatile Spellcaster).
You can copy higher level spells into a wizard spellbook, but you are unable to cast them until you achieve the correct arcane caster level.

Short answer, no

Longer answer, you can't since due to how bonus spells from high stats you don't get that spell slot. You would need to be able to cast that spell level normally to be able to get that spell slot. If not you would see builds not even bother with taking more than a level on a class and just take something like Cleric 1/Wizard 1/Druid 1/Sorcerer 1 etc so unless you take something like Precocious apprentice feat or Kobold shenanigans for Wizqrd/Sorcerer you can't cast spells higher than 1st level spells at 1st level.

SirNibbles
2016-12-08, 11:48 PM
Short answer, no

Longer answer, you can't since due to how bonus spells from high stats you don't get that spell slot. You would need to be able to cast that spell level normally to be able to get that spell slot. If not you would see builds not even bother with taking more than a level on a class and just take something like Cleric 1/Wizard 1/Druid 1/Sorcerer 1 etc so unless you take something like Precocious apprentice feat or Kobold shenanigans for Wizqrd/Sorcerer you can't cast spells higher than 1st level spells at 1st level.

Yeah that's pretty much why I figured it'd be too good to be true. What about low level spells + metamagic in those spell slots (for example, a level 1 Wizard with high Int casting an Extended Mage Armor spell- normally a level 2 spell slot)?

torrasque666
2016-12-08, 11:55 PM
Yeah that's pretty much why I figured it'd be too good to be true. What about low level spells + metamagic in those spell slots (for example, a level 1 Wizard with high Int casting an Extended Mage Armor spell- normally a level 2 spell slot)?

No. You don't have the 2nd level spell slot to cast a spell that needs a 2nd level spell slot.

Deophaun
2016-12-09, 12:21 AM
Bonus slots are bonus: they are in addition to what you already have. However, you don't have anything for those bonus slots to be a bonus to. You have - spell slots, not 0. If you want to see what the difference is, look at the Bard. Look at the Ranger. Look at the Paladin. They have levels where they go from having - spell slots to 0. In the former, they don't get bonus slots. In the later, they only have bonus slots.

Mordaedil
2016-12-09, 05:25 AM
Question: Why are you playing a druid with 14 wisdom? The minimum recommended starting wisdom score for a druid (or any main caster really) is 15. You can manage, but only barely, as you can adjust your wisdom at most with 5 points. And that last point only comes at the very last level.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-09, 07:19 AM
Question: Why are you playing a druid with 14 wisdom? The minimum recommended starting wisdom score for a druid (or any main caster really) is 15. You can manage, but only barely, as you can adjust your wisdom at most with 5 points. And that last point only comes at the very last level.You can play a druid with a wisdom score of 11 if you want, unable to use your higher level spell slots for anything other than 1st level spells. It's not what I would recommend, but the Player's Handbook also doesn't make recommendations to new players who forgo prebuilt characters or starting packages about that. Nothing stops you from building and playing it except perhaps your DM.

Mordaedil
2016-12-09, 07:53 AM
You can play a druid with a wisdom score of 11 if you want, unable to use your higher level spell slots for anything other than 1st level spells. It's not what I would recommend, but the Player's Handbook also doesn't make recommendations to new players who forgo prebuilt characters or starting packages about that. Nothing stops you from building and playing it except perhaps your DM.

I know he/she could, I was asking why he is. :) Maybe he's planning on multiclassing later, but it seems like maybe a slip-up where he put a lower stat in an important ability score.

SirNibbles
2016-12-09, 09:25 AM
I know he/she could, I was asking why he is. :) Maybe he's planning on multiclassing later, but it seems like maybe a slip-up where he put a lower stat in an important ability score.

I was just using it as an example.

Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

TheifofZ
2016-12-09, 09:27 AM
SirNibbles may not be entirely aware of the appropriate stat distribution, or may have had the awkward fortune of rolling abysmally low, with 14 being his highest roll.

Someone should explain the basic fundamentals of Druids: A How To But should probably stay away from the back of the book, which is pure theory-craft.
Focus on the stuff like the well known chapters "Magic and You: How to Prepare Spells" (which, it should be noted, was lifted nearly verbatim from the book "Wizards: A Compendium of Capabilities", though it's been rephrased to be significantly less wordy.) and "Lions, Tigers, and Bears: The Basics of Wildshaping".

Edit: or it could be an example. But if this is the case, someone definitely needs to go over the "Magic and You [Etc]" chapter with him.