PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Artifact - Iures, the Staff of Law

Sylvren
2016-12-09, 03:47 AM
Hi, I had the urge to create this for D&D 5e. I really enjoyed the idea of this artifact and would like to see it in a game someday but like a lot of artifacts that come from books it is a bit too powerful to be used in its normal state. As such I TRIED to make it a reasonable level of power which scales as you level.

Here is what I have so far. I would like some input on how to balance it so that it is a good artifact. I will also try to take any suggestions I like and make them fit a little with the lore of the item. Which is from the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks

Iures, Staff of Law
Legendary, Artifact
Requires Attunement, 1 Hour.

Iures is a semi sentient artifact created along side the sword of power. The Staff of Law is the key to magical control allowing its wielder to perform feats of legendary status, whether it is destroying or constructing magic Iures the Staff of Law is the most powerful and sophisticated artifact related to magic of a long forgotten world and Age.
The artifact was created in a time long forgotten by the two most talented wizards of their age. It bears three letters in a stylized writing J. A. E.

Magical Finesse Weapon: Can use STR, DEX, INT, WIS or CHA
Can be used as a magical focus (Arcane and Divine)
Damage: 2d6 Slashing, Piercing or Bludgeoning.
Magic Bonus: Grants a +3 magic bonus to Attack and Damage with this weapon

Charges: 8, Recovers 1d4+1 charges each dawn, if charges reach 0 the natural recharge each dawn is suspended for 3 days. (DC 16 to find sacrifice feature. Max and current charges increase by Sacrificing a spell slot of 2nd level for 1 charge. Each spell level above 2nd gives an additional charge up to 9th level, giving +8 charges for a max of 16. Spell slots Sacrificed in this way are gone for the duration you are bound to Iures the Staff of Law.

(At levels when full casters would get 7th, 8th and 9th Level spells they can be cast using the charges of the artifact. 7th level spells cost 6 Charges, 8th Level spells cost 7 Charges and 9th level spells cost 8 Charges)

- Scrolls, Wands or Casters willing to use a spell for it to absorb can recharge it for equal points. It can only be Charged once per day. (You cannot use 8 2nd level spells to get a full charge of 16, the only way would be to use a 9th level spell be if from a wand, scroll, caster or another source like the Emergency Charge feature)

- Emergency Charge (DC 20 to find when Identifying, DM secret roll with player stats): Roll caster level check with a +2 bonus against incoming spell to absorb the spell, dispelling its effects, granting charges as if a spell of that level was Sacrificed

Abilities:

Shifting: Can take the shape of any weapon. Also can take the shape of other items such as jewelry.

Magically Perfect Balance (Level 6): The modifier you use for Attack and Damage with this weapon is 1.5x your normal, rounded up. At level 8, Also adds this modifier for use with any cantrip that deals damage.
(E.g With 20 Int your normal modifier is +5. With this weapon you would use +8 as it is 1.5x rounded up)

Magical grace: +2 at level 5 (+4 at Level 9) to all saves against magic or magic like effects.

Magical Ease
- Disassemble: (All destruction effects are used with a Reaction) - Requires a Sacrifice of 3rd level spell or higher to Unlock.
1 Charge Cost: Gives you advantage or imposes a disadvantage on an enemy within 60 feet of you on all saves against magic until the end of your next turn.
2 Charge Cost: Dispels spell effect/damage targeting you.
3 Charge Cost (Level 5): Gives advantage to up to 5 allies (plus yourself) within 30 feet of you or imposes a disadvantage on up to 5 enemies on all saves against magic until the end of your next turn.
4 Charge Cost (Level 6): Dispels an area of effect spell within 30 feet of you.
5 Charge Cost (Level 7): Dispels magic. (Traps, Wards, Buffs and other on going Effects)

- Construct: (Used as a bonus action to improve spells / use ability) - Requires a Sacrifice of 4th level spell or higher to Unlock.
1 Charge Cost: Shape Spells (Allow a number of allies, equal to the spell level + your casting modifier, in the spells area to not be effected by the spell)
2 Charge Cost: Ward (Allows you to cast a ward on yourself with a number of Hit Points equal to three times your level + your highest modifier. The ward lasts as long as it has hit points or until Dawn)
3 Charge Cost (Level 9): Twinned spell Metamagic
4 Charge Cost (Level 10): Maximized Efficiency (Spells that roll damage use max damage instead)
5 Charge Cost (Level 12): Cast any 6th level spell (Can only be used once per day)

Magical Recording
- Function as a spellbook for Wizards (No GP cost and 1 Minute per spell to record)
- Staff of Law Domain: List of spells always known/prepared when bonded to the artifact.
1st Level: Absorb Elements, Shield
2nd Level: Nystul's Magic Aura, Mirror Image
3rd Level: Elemental Weapon, Haste
4th Level: Greater Invisibility, Fabricate
5th Level: Telekinesis, Greater Restoration
6th Level: True Seeing, Guards and Wards
7th Level: Forcecage, Prismatic Spray
8th Level: Demiplane, Antimagic Field
9th Level: Time Stop, Prismatic Wall

Thanks for any comments or ideas in advance. Hope to get this item in shape so that it can actually be used in games.

Thegrapemind
2016-12-11, 10:10 AM
Love the idea. Iures was supposed to be the suprime magic focus so I would have wanted to see something about magic control. would have wanted some Retribution reference, but a side from that i like the idea and might use it. It's a bit powerfull but I understand why.

Zakier
2016-12-12, 01:57 AM
I too wish to see some more references. How about this.

"Although unsubstantiated, Rumors of the staff once being used as the Legendary Sword Retribution have surfaced in writings recovered. These writings appear to have been by two seperate people. An "A. Thorn" and a "K. S."

Sylvren
2016-12-13, 02:19 AM
Yea in terms of lore of Iures I will expand on it. Making note of Kylar and Acaelus is a good idea, another thing I may do is hint a bit more on Curoch. Still mulling over reworking the magic controlling properties, I thought in D&D that may translate in metamagic like effects. I am open to ideas if anyone has thoughts on it.

Zakier
2016-12-15, 07:52 AM
Iures was supposed to increase the Magical power of the mage welding it. Of course with detrimental effects if they had less talent than neccessary.

I translate this to thinking of a staff with free slots and metamagic applied to it. Wielding the staff could grant additional spell slots of certain levels and apply all the increased metamagic to all spells. Empower heighten expend etc etc.

Such a powerful weapon though should have a detriment fitting its history. Maybe something like if less than so many spells available staff damages uses everyome a spell is cast to maintain the metamagics. Or they can choose to negate the staffs metamagic for no damage.

And after all this I realized it was Curoch that did this, not Iures.