PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding my Paladin

SMac8988
2016-12-09, 10:42 AM
Hello giants!

So as my group comes to end, preparing for our final fight against strhad my DM has said he is going to start working on a custom campaign that if we want we can use these characters for but don't have to. We will be level 10, and can alter our current characters or use new ones if we so chose.

I have been playing a half orc, 3 fenzy bersek/ 7 level devotion paladin and I love him. My damage is good, ability to take hits for the team and have I feel a good skill set. But the biggest thing is I love who he has become through out the sessions and that's the biggest thing I want to keep moving forward.

Now my idea was that time will have passed for Griswold. I made him orginally in his 40s and think for the next session I want him to be a bit older, and focus more on the personality stats than the physical. I plan to still have him in the fight and will need decent con and str.

I am thinking of dropping the barbarian levels, having him finally learned tk control his rage and multi class either into sorc, devoted soul, or warlock of light. Pelor is his god and he has become very preachy and his faith has only improved through out this campaign.

He currently is running greatsword, but I was thinking of switching over to sword and board and into full plate from the half plate I am in now.

I have never done a multi class like this and normally focus on front line fighter. So I could use some pro cons and advice on how to do this.

Specter
2016-12-09, 11:00 AM
Funny, my bard's name is Gris. Anyway...

The best way I feel would be Favored Soul Sorcerer. Grab War Caster to cast with a shield and never lose concentration.

SMac8988
2016-12-09, 11:33 AM
I was looking at those. Idk how many levels I plan to do in each yet. But known want at least 7 in paladin, for the auras. Maybe even go to the smite every attack.

What does sorc add that I would be in need of?

BiPolar
2016-12-09, 11:49 AM
I was looking at those. Idk how many levels I plan to do in each yet. But known want at least 7 in paladin, for the auras. Maybe even go to the smite every attack.

More smites/day :)

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-09, 12:30 PM

More magic, generally. A Sorcerer 3 has equal casting to a Paladin 7 all by itself, and it only gets better from there. Sorcerers get top-notch buffs like Shield, Blur, and Haste, and you can use metamagic to extend their effects to allies or quicken them to still get your attacks in.

SMac8988
2016-12-09, 01:05 PM
Doesn't warlock though give you more casts a day?

Drackolus
2016-12-09, 01:08 PM
I personally think you should just stick with paladin. A multi into sorc will somewhat drop your health, and the level 11 paladin ability is very strong. You'll get more d8's out of that than a couple more caster levels.

Specter
2016-12-09, 01:20 PM
Don't forget Quicken Metamagic, that allows to cast a spell and still attack twice. Gold.

BiPolar
2016-12-09, 01:24 PM
I personally think you should just stick with paladin. A multi into sorc will somewhat drop your health, and the level 11 paladin ability is very strong. You'll get more d8's out of that than a couple more caster levels.

This is an excellent point. The sorcerer addition (or other multiclass) may give you some very nice abilities, but losing out on Level 11 always on extra d8 is a big deal :)