PDA

View Full Version : Nobilis question: mythic humans

Millstone85
2016-12-09, 01:01 PM
A little while ago, I came across the "Great White Book" in someone else's house and read a few pages.

I understand that it is one of the game's goals to raise all kinds of silly questions, but there's one I have grown really curious about.

So, what is a tree on the Prosaic Earth would be a dryad on the Mythic Earth, and what is a beast on the Prosaic Earth would fall somewhere along the anthro scale on the Mythic Earth. A rock, a breeze, a shadow... would similarly be personified on the Mythic Earth. Or rather, it is the Prosaic Earth that unpersonifies them.

Humans only see the Prosaic Earth. And unless they are made something more than human, seeing the Mythic Earth would be really bad for their sanity.

But what does a human look like from the Mythic Earth's perspective?

What I read made it clear that you could have a chat with various aspects of a person, like their conscience, their melancholy, their flesh, their reputation... and I suppose that could make it difficult to find their true soul, the actual core of their being. But in this animist world, it ought to exist.

I can see two ways to portray this.

A human soul could be seen as sleepwalking through the Mythic Earth, protected by a form of elusiveness. That's probably the easy way to do it.

Or it could on the contrary be an awakened version of the human, interacting with its environment in a way that makes sense on the Mythic Earth. When a human is struggling to open a door and maybe mumbling a few annoyed words, the same human can be seen having an argument with a guardian spirit.

How is it usually played?