PDA

View Full Version : Marvel's Spider-man 1st trailer

Legato Endless
2016-12-09, 03:00 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbXLQ06mwg

Tony awkwardly mentoring his protégé after the debacle of Civil War is a nice touch.

As is the design for Vulture, showing a clear connection to Ironman and Ant-man's suits. After his performance in Birdman, I'm kind of hyped for Michael Keaton in this.

Razade
2016-12-09, 03:16 PM
Yeah...I feel pretty alright about all this.

Kitten Champion
2016-12-09, 03:47 PM
His friend looks like Ganke Lee, Miles Morales' friend from Ultimate Spider-Man - wait, no, according to Google he is Ganke.

That's pretty nice. He's one of the few Spider-Man-related characters - albeit one who never actually interacted with Ultimate Peter Parker - who's nevertheless just a nice guy with a Lego hobby, a geeky love for Superheroes, and an overall adorkability to him. Ya'know rather than an inevitable supervillain or tragic victim-in-waiting for Peter to angst over. To Miles at least, he's a genuine no-issue true-blue friend to do fun dialogue with and encourage him to be heroic.

The Glyphstone
2016-12-09, 03:58 PM
Wait, are we going to get a Spider-man movie that isn't terrible?

Grey_Wolf_c
2016-12-09, 04:05 PM
Wait, are we going to get a Spider-man movie that isn't terrible?

We've had non-terrible Spiderman movies before. Admittedly, it's been a while now, and the follow-ups kinda ruined them after the fact, but it's not impossible, and Marvel has an excellent track record at making films with a base level of "enjoyable" at least.

GW

The Extinguisher
2016-12-09, 04:09 PM
But how does he get his powers? How am I supposed to enjoy a spiderman movie if we don't spend the first 45 minutes learning about responsibility? :smalltongue:

Legato Endless
2016-12-09, 04:18 PM
Spider-man 2 is still solid, definitely the strongest of the first trilogy. The tone isn't in fashion anymore, especially considering the juggernaut of the MCU owes more to Batman Begins than Raimi's fairly campy installments. But still, it's a fun time, and Doc Ock is one of the better villain adaptions we've seen.

Millstone85
2016-12-09, 05:08 PM
Is anyone else worried for Uncle Tony?

GloatingSwine
2016-12-09, 05:56 PM
Is anyone else worried for Uncle Tony?

Not until after Infinity War.

Marvel have their movie formula pretty sorted by now, and so I'm fully expecting this to be an enjoyable action romp with one of their biggest name recognition characters.

Razade
2016-12-09, 06:10 PM
I'm more curious why no one is losing their mind about the pick for Michael Keaton as the villain. He's got a serious pedigree as Batman already and he got serious critical acclaim in Birdman. Now he's going to be The Vulture. That, to me, indicates that we're going to get a pretty awesome movie. Tony being around to be a mentor is pretty cool too.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-09, 06:26 PM
I'm more curious why no one is losing their mind about the pick for Michael Keaton as the villain. He's got a serious pedigree as Batman already and he got serious critical acclaim in Birdman. Now he's going to be The Vulture. That, to me, indicates that we're going to get a pretty awesome movie. Tony being around to be a mentor is pretty cool too.Not to mention he has already been a solid main antagonist in Beetlejuice. Vulture is something of the opposite of that character with his anti-aging plot.

Another inversion with this is that Marvel's attempt to gather an audience is to put Iron Man in it briefly. In the comics, it is usually Spider-Man.

Palanan
2016-12-09, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Legato Endless
Tony awkwardly mentoring his protégé after the debacle of Civil War is a nice touch.

Looks cool, looks like fun. Even looks cool enough to overcome my instinctive first question, which is "Do we really need another Spider-Man movie?"

But then that's why they have Iron Man in there.

Originally Posted by Legato Endless
Spider-man 2 is still solid, definitely the strongest of the first trilogy. The tone isn't in fashion anymore, especially considering the juggernaut of the MCU owes more to Batman Begins than Raimi's fairly campy installments. But still, it's a fun time, and Doc Ock is one of the better villain adaptions we've seen.

"The power of the sun in the palm of my hand!" :smalltongue:

Doc Ock was definitely a great villain.

Originally Posted by Razade
I'm more curious why no one is losing their mind about the pick for Michael Keaton as the villain.

For some of us, he'll aways be Mr. Mom.

:smallbiggrin:

JoshL
2016-12-09, 07:32 PM
Donald Glover spotted at 1:53. No character listed on IMDB. Miles is not yet off the table.

Seriously though, always good seeing him, no matter who he is playing, and the trailer looks nice. Nice bit of menace from Keaton there.

Kitten Champion
2016-12-09, 09:29 PM
Looking at it again, they basically gave Peter Miles Morales' life. I believe he's going to a - chartered school I think they're called - and staying in a dorm with Ganke, filling the role of a teenage Avenger while having come from a position where he's in the shadow of those who came before him.

It make sense as much as their decisions usual do. They haven't written Peter Parker as a high school student in decades outside of the Ultimate Universe and that material is too reminiscent of the Amazing Spider-Man at this point -- plus it's more convoluted and painfully depressing the longer it went on. Miles is familiar-but-different enough that if you cut him out and paste Peter and his Aunt on top of his position it won't break the core of the character but will still feel distinct enough from a reboot fatigue perspective.

This could also mean that they aren't necessarily following the well-trodden grounds of Peter's established romantic relationships in canon (or more importantly popular memory) nor does Miles fall into Peter's usual route of part-time work with the Daily Bugle - which he hasn't done in comics in a long while anyways - or being feared/spat upon by the press and the public of New York.

danzibr
2016-12-09, 11:04 PM
I can't help but not be excited.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-10, 12:48 AM
Looking at it again, they basically gave Peter Miles Morales' life. I believe he's going to a - chartered school I think they're called - and staying in a dorm with Ganke, filling the role of a teenage Avenger while having come from a position where he's in the shadow of those who came before him.

It make sense as much as their decisions usual do. They haven't written Peter Parker as a high school student in decades outside of the Ultimate Universe and that material is too reminiscent of the Amazing Spider-Man at this point -- plus it's more convoluted and painfully depressing the longer it went on. Miles is familiar-but-different enough that if you cut him out and paste Peter and his Aunt on top of his position it won't break the core of the character but will still feel distinct enough from a reboot fatigue perspective.

This could also mean that they aren't necessarily following the well-trodden grounds of Peter's established romantic relationships in canon (or more importantly popular memory) nor does Miles fall into Peter's usual route of part-time work with the Daily Bugle - which he hasn't done in comics in a long while anyways - or being feared/spat upon by the press and the public of New York.Yes, charter school (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_school) is a term. Usually, Peter Parker attends a public high school, Midtown High, but now that Tony StankStark is involved...

On the one hand, I would prefer that Miles Morales' life be kept his own and not co-opted by Peter Parker. On the other, Peter's high school years have been explored so much as KittenChampion points out.

The portion of the trailer which raises the most questions for me was when Spider-Man is climbing the Washington Monument and then being shot at by the police from a helicopter. That seems like a really severe punishment for trespassing. Does this mean the Marvel Cinematic Universe has a United States National Park Service which actually gets funded, instead of shut down constantly because of budget bickering? Is Spider-Man going to fight Titanium Man on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and try to goad a Rocky & Bullwinkle reference from him? Because if The Empire Strikes Back was old to him, Rocky & Bullwinkle is going to be ancient.

t209
2016-12-10, 01:03 AM
The portion of the trailer which raises the most questions for me was when Spider-Man is climbing the Washington Monument and then being shot at by the police from a helicopter. That seems like a really severe punishment for trespassing. Does this mean the Marvel Cinematic Universe has a United States National Park Service which actually gets funded, instead of shut down constantly because of budget bickering? Is Spider-Man going to fight Titanium Man on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and try to goad a Rocky & Bullwinkle reference from him? Because if The Empire Strikes Back was old to him, Rocky & Bullwinkle is going to be ancient.
Well, US had to go Imperium of Men/New Earth Government after alien invasion, super villains, and evil stuffs.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-10, 02:07 AM
Could be that it's the fact that spiderman didn't sign the accords. I like how someone is complaining about Peter stealing parkers life.. when that's how milo got his powers

KillingAScarab
2016-12-10, 02:53 AM
Well, US had to go Imperium of Men/New Earth Government after alien invasion, super villains, and evil stuffs.Yeah, but the National Park Service? What, did they cross-over with The Tick and have to deal with The Terror (http://moa.omnimulti.com/Terror_%28Tick%29)'s spider robot punching Mount Rushmore?

Could be that it's the fact that spiderman didn't sign the accords.The good thing about the Sokovia Accords was that they only applied to The Avengers. Spider-Man was freelance. He just showed up to super hero fight. His identity is still secret. He's cool to walk away from that.

I like how someone is complaining about Peter stealing parkers life.. when that's how milo got his powersNo, Doctor Octopus stole Peter's life (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Superior_Spider-Man). He was going around in Peter's body like vampire Durkon. That's one change I don't want to see in the movies.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-10, 04:54 AM
Except that he was approached to do the whole Avengers thing. I would assume he is going to be given the choice. Sign or no heroing. It would appear that he is not going to sign for some reason.

Ramza00
2016-12-10, 08:45 AM
There was also an 18 second trailer that came out the day prior to the trailer in the 1st page.

The micro trailer includes a scene with Happy Hogan from Iron Man. Note in real life the actor who plays Happy is also the Director and Executive Producer of Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2, Jon Favreau. (note there are two famous Jon Favreau (s), one is the Iron Man Hollywood guy, the less famous one was of Obama's Chief Speechwriter for several years and is now one of the multiple hosts of the podcast Keeping it 1600)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbLP_SmhtuM

Based off the micro trailer I guess we are not going to see the Iron Spiderman Suit in this movie that you see in the comics some of the time. (Tony Stark and Spider Man collaborated on a suit in the mid 00s for Spider Man.) Instead we are getting one of the man Glider suits that Spiderman has had over the years.

Can someone answer a question for me? In the comics is there any time that spiderman is crawling on the ceiling or the walls and the ceiling collapses for ceilings were not designed to carry a 150+ lb weight? Or would this never happen due to spider sense?

Kato
2016-12-10, 09:00 AM
We've had non-terrible Spiderman movies before. Admittedly, it's been a while now, and the follow-ups kinda ruined them after the fact, but it's not impossible, and Marvel has an excellent track record at making films with a base level of "enjoyable" at least.

GW
I wouldn't call the Amazing Movies entirely bad... I mean, not as strong as Spiderman II but not entirely terrible.

Can someone answer a question for me? In the comics is there any time that spiderman is crawling on the ceiling or the walls and the ceiling collapses for ceilings were not designed to carry a 150+ lb weight? Or would this never happen due to spider sense?

It doesn't happen because cartoon physics. Also, I think most ceilings CAN carry a 150lb weight because houses are not made from paper mache. But then I live in Germany and the US sometimes might have different building standards.
Of course some ceilings won't hold him but most should, I think.

In general on the trailer... I like it. Except... I'm not sure I want a Spiderman to complain about how "the adults don't take him serious". I have trust in marvel they can pull it off and I know they want a young hero and Spidey is there best chance at that but I'm just too old for a story of a little boy who earns the respect of his elders...

Ramza00
2016-12-10, 09:17 AM
Also, I think most ceilings CAN carry a 150lb weight because houses are not made from paper mache. But then I live in Germany and the US sometimes might have different building standards.

Dry Wall is Gypsum mixed with paper, fiber, and other thickening agents. It is very close to paper mache.

I have been up on an attic before and while walking on 2x4s missed slightly and put a foot through the ceiling.

GloatingSwine
2016-12-10, 09:41 AM
It doesn't happen because cartoon physics. Also, I think most ceilings CAN carry a 150lb weight because houses are not made from paper mache. But then I live in Germany and the US sometimes might have different building standards.

Ceilings are usually made of a layer of plasterboard, with joists spaced out at 1.5-2' intervals. Anything heavy hanging off a ceiling wants to be bolted to those joists.

Palanan
2016-12-10, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by KillingAScarab
The portion of the trailer which raises the most questions for me was when Spider-Man is climbing the Washington Monument and then being shot at by the police from a helicopter. That seems like a really severe punishment for trespassing. Does this mean the Marvel Cinematic Universe has a United States National Park Service which actually gets funded, instead of shut down constantly because of budget bickering?

The National Park Service only has two helicopters (https://www.nps.gov/subjects/uspp/aviation-unit.htm) to begin with, and it looks like the chopper in the trailer is in the colors of the D.C. Police Air Support Unit (http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/air-support-unit-falcon).

Oddly enough, the registration number on the chopper is an out-of-date number (http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N2468G) listed for a Bell 206, which is the type previously used by the National Park Service. The same registration number has been used for several private fixed-wing aircraft, including a Cessna in Oklahoma, so it looks like they're using a real registration number that's been taken out of service. Given the colors and the insignia, I'd say the intent is to represent the D.C. metropolitan police force.

And yes, shooting at someone for climbing a public monument is an extreme response. Probably there was some context we're not seeing, along the lines of "costumed vigilante declared public enemy," yadda yadda.

Kato
2016-12-10, 12:28 PM
Ceilings are usually made of a layer of plasterboard, with joists spaced out at 1.5-2' intervals. Anything heavy hanging off a ceiling wants to be bolted to those joists.

So... I'm no architect but isn't there usually a floor above and your ceiling is their floor? I know that's not always true, sometimes you just have a bunch of 2x4s and then some but isn't that the exception rather than the rule? Especially in apartments like the one spidey seems to live in? Or is this really handled that differently?

GloatingSwine
2016-12-10, 12:33 PM
So... I'm no architect but isn't there usually a floor above and your ceiling is their floor? I know that's not always true, sometimes you just have a bunch of 2x4s and then some but isn't that the exception rather than the rule? Especially in apartments like the one spidey seems to live in? Or is this really handled that differently?

The floorboards of the floor above are on top of the same joists that the ceiling is hanging from.

The actual structural part of a floor/ceiling isn't usually the flat bits, it's what the flat bits are attached to.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-12-10, 07:07 PM
Similar construction is used on walls. The primary advantage of such is providing space for electrical, water and gas lines internally rather than leaving them exposed.

Thrudd
2016-12-10, 09:16 PM
Donald Glover spotted at 1:53. No character listed on IMDB. Miles is not yet off the table.

Seriously though, always good seeing him, no matter who he is playing, and the trailer looks nice. Nice bit of menace from Keaton there.

Since it appears this version of Peter is combining elements of Ultimate Peter and Miles Morales, I doubt they have any plans of ever using Miles in the MCU. Miles without Ganke would be pointless. Also, Donald Glover is too old to play a high school kid, so even if he has a cameo, he isn't playing a Miles that will get powers later on. Unless the MCU Miles is going to be completely unrelated to the comics character. In which case, what would be the point?

I think their decision for this Spiderman is attempting to combine what they feel are the best features of both characters (Peter and Miles); to give people something new and relevant to contemporary New York, but still keep elements identifiable to non-comics readers.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-10, 09:43 PM
Huh, What would be the point of Milo not being like his comic book character? isn't that the same thing people feel like about Spiderman being Peter Parker?

ben-zayb
2016-12-10, 10:30 PM
The trailer looks good, with a bit of callback to previous installments. I love that they will likely replace the trite Ben/Peter dynamic with Stark/Peter.

And for the love of radioactive bugs, it's Spider-Man!

Thrudd
2016-12-11, 12:33 PM
Huh, What would be the point of Milo not being like his comic book character? isn't that the same thing people feel like about Spiderman being Peter Parker?

His name is Miles. And there wouldn't be a point, which is why I believe there is no plan to use him in the MCU. This version of Peter is being blended with elements of Miles' character and environment to take advantage of some of the good stuff about the new Spiderman.

Giggling Ghast
2016-12-11, 01:24 PM
Real talk here: I know everyone filled their pants with web fluid over the idea of Donald Glover playing Miles Morales, but isn't he too goddamn old to portray a high school kid?

Anyways, I thought the trailer was great. Digging the Vulture look!

huttj509
2016-12-11, 02:32 PM
Real talk here: I know everyone filled their pants with web fluid over the idea of Donald Glover playing Miles Morales, but isn't he too goddamn old to portray a high school kid?

Hey, it worked for Grease, and Beverly Hills 90210.

Xihirli
2016-12-11, 09:26 PM
Batman vs. Spiderman

Dawn of Homecoming

KillingAScarab
2016-12-12, 12:06 AM
Batman vs. Spiderman

Dawn of HomecomingNo, we're already looking at multiple villains. If anything, you want to adapt the Batman Returns tagline: The Bat, the Cat, the Spider, the Bird, the Other Bird, and So On and So Forth. :smallamused:

Dragonus45
2016-12-12, 12:55 AM

He could easily get away with High School, but Miles is specifically much younger than we normally see Peter as. Its part of how they set up his power-set as being different from Peters. With him being less physically strong but having the venom strike sting thing as compensation for example, and different strengths of the spider sense as well although I can't remember who's was stronger or how either of them stack up to 616 Spiderman.

Kyberwulf
2016-12-12, 01:39 AM
Good, I wouldn't mind them messing with Milo's back story make him older. It's getting tiring to see him as a little kid anyway. It's not like it's a core concept central to his story.

Thrudd
2016-12-12, 03:15 AM
He could easily get away with High School, but Miles is specifically much younger than we normally see Peter as. Its part of how they set up his power-set as being different from Peters. With him being less physically strong but having the venom strike sting thing as compensation for example, and different strengths of the spider sense as well although I can't remember who's was stronger or how either of them stack up to 616 Spiderman.

Actually, Ultimate Peter Parker was still a teenager when he died, and Miles got his powers right at that time. That's why Iron Man and Captain America were so devastated that he was killed, he was just a kid that they were mentoring. So Peter is at most 2-3 years older than Miles. In 616 Universe, Peter is in his 30's (I'm guessing) and Miles is a teen. Miles has the bioelectric sting and can camouflage/turn invisible, in addition to wall crawling and agility. His Spider-sense isn't as strong, I think, or maybe not as developed, and he doesn't have the "proportional strength of a spider" as far as I can tell, never seen him lifting cars or anything.

At this point, I'm not sure they are looking to expand the movies into "Web Warriors", with ten different spider-powered heroes. Clones of Peter, Other people getting bit by the same spider, people getting bit by other spiders from the same experiment, people trying to recreate the spider experiment to purposefully create more spider people.

KillingAScarab
2016-12-12, 07:01 PM
At this point, I'm not sure they are looking to expand the movies into "Web Warriors", with ten different spider-powered heroes.We're probably not going to see Spider-Ham (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Porker_%28Earth-8311%29) in a movie. Then again, Howard the Duck got a cameo (http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Howard_the_Duck_%28Earth-199999%29)...

Dragonus45
2016-12-13, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=Thrudd;21482265]Actually, Ultimate Peter Parker was still a teenager when he died, and Miles got his powers right at that time. That's why Iron Man and Captain America were so devastated that he was killed, he was just a kid that they were mentoring. So Peter is at most 2-3 years older than Miles. In 616 Universe, Peter is in his 30's (I'm guessing) and Miles is a teen. Miles has the bioelectric sting and can camouflage/turn invisible, in addition to wall crawling and agility. His Spider-sense isn't as strong, I think, or maybe not as developed, and he doesn't have the "proportional strength of a spider" as far as I can tell, never seen him lifting cars or anything.

/QUOTE]

I know he was still a teenager, but he was close to graduation whereas miles was a freshman. Techincally thats only a couple years but it is a BIG couple of years development wise.

Callos_DeTerran
2016-12-15, 06:33 PM

Spider-Man 2 was really fun,but I also really enjoyed the Amazing Spider-man movies quite a bit.

Guttercleaning
2016-12-15, 08:17 PM
Cannot wait. Love the spiderman movies.