PDA

View Full Version : Error with SCAG elves?

Millstone85
2016-12-09, 07:21 PM
Wood Elves
Also called copper elves, or Sy'Tel'Quessir, wood elves are the most common elves remaining in Faerun.
Rare Elf Subraces
Other lines of descendants exist of the elves who originally came to Faerun, but they are so rare as to be legendary, often considered mythical.
[...]
Wild Elves. The Sy'Tel'Quessir are considered by many elves to be the most strange of their race, having abandoned or lost much of their ancient culture.There seems to be a bit of a contradiction here.

How do you make sense of it?

ChildofLuthic
2016-12-09, 07:41 PM
There seems to be a bit of a contradiction here.

How do you make sense of it?

Doing a little bit of googling, it seems like the wild elves are the ones who should be called the Sy-Tel-Quessir. Forgotten Realms lore says that at one point the wild and wood elves were one race, called the Sy-Tel-Quessir, but the wood elves split off and became called the Or-Tel-Quessir

Willie the Duck
2016-12-09, 08:06 PM
Narrator is not a native Elvish speaker.

Millstone85
2016-12-09, 08:26 PM
What then would be right for an elf druid of the Chondalwood, wild/Sy'Tel'Quessir or wood/Or'Tel'Quessir?

ChildofLuthic
2016-12-09, 08:32 PM
What then would be right for an elf druid of the Chondalwood, wild/Sy'Tel'Quessir or wood/Or'Tel'Quessir?

Sy'Tel'Quessir. They're wild elves.

Millstone85
2016-12-10, 06:28 AM
Sy'Tel'Quessir. They're wild elves.Then I found another odd thing in that book.
Barbarian Tribes of Faerūn
Though this section details the Uthgardt specifically, either it or the outlander background from the Player's Handbook can be used for a character whose origin lies with one of the other barbarian tribes in Faerūn.
You might be a fair-haired barbarian of the Reghed, dwelling in the shadow of the Reghed Glacier in the far North near lcewind Dale. You might also be of the nomadic Rashemi, noted for their savage berserkers and their masked witches. Perhaps you hail from one of the wood elf tribes in the Chondalwood, or the magic-hating human tribes of the sweltering jungles of Chult.It is like they had a debate on the wood/wild elf distinction for this edition and didn't quite figure it out.

Mechanically, do you think the racial features of a wood elf are appropriate for a wild elf?

Asmotherion
2016-12-10, 07:11 AM
Wile the PHB is a General, all-purpose book, the SCAG is setting-specific. Wile you can add (at your option) SCAG material to your campain, even if it's not taking place in the Sword Coast/Forgotten Realms, it's not considered the core material. Thus, some lore adjustments from general to specific might take place.

In other words, wile generally X is called Y, in the specific case, X is called Z, wile an other subject X2 is called Y instead.

I hope this explaination helps with the issue?

Millstone85
2016-12-10, 07:46 AM
I hope this explaination helps with the issue?No offense intended but it does not.

The first two passages I quoted are from the very same page. This is not a contradiction between the PHB and SCAG but a contradiction within SCAG itself.

And I believe ChildofLuthic was talking about these (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wood_elf) two (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wild_elf) wiki pages, which are about the Forgotten Realms, though not 5e specific. That or a similar result from Google.

As for the last question I asked... SCAG says that sun elves and moon elves both have the racial traits of PHB high elves, while wood elves have the racial traits of PHB wood elves. It doesn't say what racial traits wild elves are supposed to have. My guess is that they should also have the racial traits of PHB wood elves. But I might be missing something.

They are probably considered wood elves by SCAG too, hence why the book later talks about wood elves where you would expect wild elves. Unless that was another mistake after calling them both Sy'Tel'Quessir.