PDA

View Full Version : Do you get a Bardic Knowledge and a Knowledge (whatever) check?

SangoProduction
2016-12-09, 09:24 PM
I mean, Bardic Knowledge is basically the general form of every knowledge skill. But, surely, you could still make use of knowledge skills as a bard, right? Or are you only allowed one check?

Deophaun
2016-12-09, 10:30 PM
I mean, Bardic Knowledge is basically the general form of every knowledge skill.
My version of the SRD says

A bard may make a special bardic knowledge check with a bonus equal to his bard level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places.
I don't see it being listed as a general form of every knowledge skill.

But, surely, you could still make use of knowledge skills as a bard, right?
One would hope, given that all knowledge skills are class skills for Bards. It would seem kind of silly if they couldn't.

digiman619
2016-12-10, 03:15 AM
I mean, Bardic Knowledge is basically the general form of every knowledge skill. But, surely, you could still make use of knowledge skills as a bard, right? Or are you only allowed one check?

This is why Pathfinder made it a bonus to Knowledge skills and the ability to use them untrained.

Duke of Urrel
2016-12-10, 02:00 PM

The answer to your question depends totally on your dungeon master. Your dungeon master determines how much Bardic Knowledge overlaps with other fields of Knowledge. Your dungeon master determines how many Knowledge checks you get to make when two or more fields of Knowledge overlap. Oh yes, and your dungeon master determines which facts belong to which fields.

Talk to your dungeon master!

If you want to know my current opinion (as a dungeon master), it's like this.

1. I believe Bardic Knowledge overlaps with Knowledge of Arcana, but only as it pertains to magic items.*

2. I believe Bardic Knowledge overlaps with all other fields of Knowledge, but only as they pertain to specific people, places, and things that qualify as legendary.

3. Whenever two fields of Knowledge overlap with each other or any field of Knowledge overlaps with Bardic Knowledge, I allow a character who possesses Knowledge in both fields to make two Knowledge checks. The first check may take 10 when appropriate, and the second check may be rolled if the player chooses. If one Knowledge check succeeds, the character knows the fact. I believe it is sometimes possible for three fields of Knowledge to overlap, and in this case, it may be possible for a character to make three Knowledge checks to know the same fact. But the fields of Knowledge are all defined by me, the dungeon master, and all are limited.

*Moreover, I believe Bardic Knowledge, even as it pertains to legendary magic items, includes only what I call basic lore. The basic lore of a magic item includes its name (or its apparent name if it is a specific cursed item), what it does, how to use it (but not what risk this use entails), for whom it was intended, and whether it requires a command word (but not the command word itself). If a magic item has more than one function, its basic lore includes all of its functions. Knowledge of Arcana, in contrast, includes the deeper lore of magic items, whether they are legendary or not. The deeper lore of a magic item includes the item’s basic lore (as explained above) as well as the item’s true name (if it is a specific cursed item), any command word required to use the item, and any risk that this use entails, such as a curse.

Crake
2016-12-11, 05:04 AM
The way I've been running bardic lore for my game has been, basically, yes, you get both a bardic lore check and a knowledge (whatever) check, depending on the circumstances. However, the information you get from each one varies, bardic lore will tell you information about specific powerful beings, the stories around them, or general information about a type of creature, based on how well known they are, and the weaknesses that legendary heros have exploited in the past. Knowledg (whatever) will tell you from a much more analytical, and learned perspective the answers to your questions.

There may be times when only one, or the other is appropriate, but more often than not, if only one roll is being made, it's the bardic knowledge check, not the Knowledge (whatever) check.

Troacctid
2016-12-11, 05:38 AM
In 3.5, you do. In Pathfinder, you don't.

As Crake said, 3.5's bardic knowledge usually gives you different information than the Knowledge skill: it pertains to knowledge of stories and legends, rather than academic learning.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-11, 06:58 AM
As a general rule my thoughts on it are if you have multiple knowledges or abilities that might give you the answer to something you can roll each of them. Each might give a slightly different version or might be a different way you got to the answer, but different knowledges might reveal different aspects.

If you want to know about a magical floating castle, you could get the information from Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Knowledge (History), or Knowledge (Geography). Arcana might reveal the location, but also reveal the magical processes behind making such a castle. Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) might reveal the designers and builders as well as some architectural aspects of it like how many floors it has and their purposes. Knowledge (history) might also reveal the major events that happened with the castle and who had it made. Knowledge (Geography) would reveal the location, as well as info about the area around it and the best path to get to it.

I like the idea of allowing multiple rolls for multiple knowledges and abilities because it encourages a much more multifaceted skillset instead of everyone picking one knowledge and max ranking that only.

Worth noting that bardic knowledge generally was meant to be about collected tales, so the knowledge might be shrouded somewhat in poetry or metaphor. For example a good bardic knowledge check about trolls might be a tale where a knight defeated a troll by "Lashing out with righteous fire!" which could mean that it used actual fire, or some sort of holy fire, or just metaphorical fire meaning "zeal".

I always joked that the best way to get on a DM's good side was to play a bard so you can use your bardic knowledge to be his easy exposition fairy. It's an easy way for a DM to be able to give out exactly the right amount of info they wanted.