PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Magazine 340

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-09, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have a copy? I'd like to learn about two spells on page 49, Sunmace and Detect Night Creature.

Incidentally, if anyone also happens to have the AD&D book Fall of Myth Drannor, I'd also like to know about The Srinshee's Spellshift (pg 61) and Moryggan's Mythaleash (pg 56) as well, but that's not as important.

nyjastul69
2016-12-10, 02:49 AM
Does anyone have a copy? I'd like to learn about two spells on page 49, Sunmace and Detect Night Creature.

Incidentally, if anyone also happens to have the AD&D book Fall of Myth Drannor, I'd also like to know about The Srinshee's Spellshift (pg 61) and Moryggan's Mythaleash (pg 56) as well, but that's not as important.

I have copies of both, but giving out the information is a breach of board protocol as those sources are not open game content.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-10, 03:14 AM
I'm not asking for the entire statblocks and descriptions; I just need enough info on what each of them do in order to make an evaluation of their usefulness. It would also be nice if I could get this info for my spreadsheet:

School, subtype, descriptor, class levels, components, cast time, save, and SR. That isn't enough info to actually cast the spell, but is useful for sorting spells based on which clerics can cast it, and which foes resist it. If that's too much, then I can deal with just having the class levels it's available for, and a brief description of what each spell does.

nyjastul69
2016-12-10, 03:52 AM
I'm not asking for the entire statblocks and descriptions; I just need enough info on what each of them do in order to make an evaluation of their usefulness. It would also be nice if I could get this info for my spreadsheet:

School, subtype, descriptor, class levels, components, cast time, save, and SR. That isn't enough info to actually cast the spell, but is useful for sorting spells based on which clerics can cast it, and which foes resist it. If that's too much, then I can deal with just having the class levels it's available for, and a brief description of what each spell does.

Fair enough. IANAL however and I have no idea exactly how much information it would take to breach fair use and move into copyright infringement. I'll err on the side of caution and provide none. If you look, you may find alternative answers that don't require the reprinting of copyrighted information by board members.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-10, 05:51 AM
I appreciate your caution. Unfortunately, I have already looked, and haven't found anything else to describe what the spells do -- they're not exactly significant spells from a popular source, so nobody else seems to have discussed them.

RoboEmperor
2016-12-10, 05:55 AM
I appreciate your caution. Unfortunately, I have already looked, and haven't found anything else to describe what the spells do -- they're not exactly significant spells from a popular source, so nobody else seems to have discussed them.

I googled dragon magazine 340, and the 6th result showed me a full pdf of it. docslide is the website name. Where did you look exactly?

Bullet06320
2016-12-10, 06:05 AM
I do believe that Fall of Myth Drannor was given away free as a download on their website at one point, which means its in the public domain and fair game

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/FR_Downloads/download.asp?id=tsr9558

unfortunatly the link is broken, it got scrubbed from the site with all the other ones they gave away free

Darrin
2016-12-10, 09:02 AM
I can't help you with Dragon #340. I don't have that issue.

Moryggan's mythaleash is an epic spell (10th level) that allows you to stretch the effects of an nearby mythal so that it creates a 30' radius field centered on the caster. This allows them to leave the area protected by a mythal but "bring it with them". The caster can't cast any spells, and can only use the powers granted by the mythal. If you don't have access to a mythal, then the spell is useless.

Srinshee's spell shift was updated in Lost Empires of Faerun. It's a 9th level spell that allows the caster to see and manipulate the Weave directly. You can muck around with a spell's range, target, etc. as it's being cast. It's sorta like "root access" to the magic operating system.

137beth
2016-12-11, 01:01 AM
Moryggan's mythaleash is an epic spell (10th level)

Is it an Epic Spell, or a 10th level spell? 'cause those things are different:smallsmile:

Darrin
2016-12-11, 09:00 AM
Is it an Epic Spell, or a 10th level spell? 'cause those things are different:smallsmile:

10th level. I don't recall exactly what that means in 2nd Edition. It's useless without having access to a mythal. Those still exist in third edition, but I have no idea what they do.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-11, 05:32 PM
To my knowledge, 10th, 11th, and 12th level spells in AD&D (true dweomers) are something that were only available to the most powerful of arcanists (from the Netheril Empire -- not even Thay was good enough to create them). Once Karsus in his simple-mindedness went too far with his 12th level spell, Mystril/ Mystra revoked the ability for anyone to cast spells above 9th level. In AD&D there was also Elven Ritual magic that could create 10th level+ effects (poor Thay and Rashemen, even their amazing circle magic isn't good enough). Once 3.0 came along, epic magic (distinct from 10th level+) was allowed, and I think there were even some late-publication 2e books that included an epic magic system. I may have read on Candlekeep that 10th level+ spells also always fail on their first casting, as a safeguard put in by Mystril to prevent their misuse, though that may have been a houserule.

I'm not clear on whether Szass Tam's rituals were the same as elven ritual magic or something else entirely, but those were also effectively 10th level+ (12th level at least, for his Ritual of Unmaking, if you compare its effect to Karsus's Avatar). Someone better with lore than I would have to explain.

Edit: this is just speculation, but because in AD&D, each spell had a "reverse", all 10th+ spells should be reversible; I don't think epic magic, even in 2e, was. But that's just a guess on my part.

Level 10

Lefeber’s Weave Mythal Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 10
Mavin’s Create Volcano Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 10
Mavin’s Earthfast Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11
Proctive’s Move Mountain Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11
Tolodine’s Killing Wind Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11
Valdick’s Spheresail Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 12
The Srinshee's Spellshift Fall of Myth Drannor 61
Moryggan's Mythaleash Fall of Myth Drannor 56
Rituals of Solitude Cormanthyr - Empire of Elves 126
--Evaliir’Enevahr
--Saloh’Cint’Nias
--Kai’Soeh’takal

Level 11

Rituals of Complement Cormanthyr - Empire of Elves 126
--Suyoll
--Fhaor’Akh’Tel’Quess
Mavin’s Worldweave Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11
Proctiv’s Breach Crystal Sphere Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11
Proctiv’s Seal Crystal Sphere Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 11

Level 12

Karsus’s Avatar Netheril - Encyclopedia Arcana 10
Rituals of Myriad Cormanthyr - Empire of Elves 126
--Elaorman
--Uaul’Selu’Keryth
Szass Tam's Ritual of Unmaking

Also, I must apologise for asking about the Sunmace spell. Dragondex has it incorrectly labeled (that spell is actually in Drag346 30); the one from Drag340 49 is Sunburst.

Darrin
2016-12-11, 06:02 PM
Also, I must apologise for asking about the Sunmace spell. Dragondex has it incorrectly labeled (that spell is actually in Drag346 30); the one from Drag340 49 is Sunburst.

Sunmace appears to be a refluffing of spiritual weapon, except it does [fire] damage and the target is dazzled for 1 round. Against undead, it does 2d6 [fire] damage and the target has to make a Will save vs 1 round of blindness (creatures with a weakness to daylight or sunlight get a -2 to this save). It's "Clr 2, Dru 2", so treehuggers can use it.

The only information I can find on detect night creature is it's a "Clr 1, Pal 1" spell, Range: 60', and works like detect evil but for creatures with daylight sensitivity.