PDA

View Full Version : What deity would be a patron of my character?

SangoProduction
2016-12-10, 03:52 AM
Character background (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?508516-What-do-you-think-of-this-character)

I'm possibly playing in a game in a campaign where everyone has a patron god. This character feels much more like an eclectic character who doesn't commit much to a single thing, and thrives on obtaining new knowledge and learning about others.

Perhaps a knowledge deity would work. Is there a god of "empathy"?

EDIT: Disregard that. I am not actually going to use this character in that campaign. I missed the part where the characters have to be evil. Gosh darn it! It was such a promising and well put together campaign description. Maybe I'll toss a different character in and see what happens.

John Longarrow
2016-12-10, 03:53 AM
Baccob sounds like the person he'd feel most close to.

Inevitability
2016-12-10, 04:50 AM
Baccob sounds like the person he'd feel most close to.

Boccob is very muchly not empathetic, though. His title is 'the uncaring', for crying out loud!

ChaosStar
2016-12-10, 05:51 AM
what campaign setting is it? The only one I know where you need patron deities is FR, and they have a completely different deities from whatever the main setting is(I forget if it's Ebberon or Greyhawk). If he sticks to worshipping Giant Deities then probably Annam, the Giant god of learning and philosophy. If he starts worshipping a Gnome Deity then maybe Baervan Wildwanderer, the Gnome Deity of Travel, Gnomes don't really have a Deity of knowledge.

John Longarrow
2016-12-10, 06:21 AM
Boccob is very muchly not empathetic, though. His title is 'the uncaring', for crying out loud!

He's also the God of magic and knowledge. For someone who is totally lost in their ethical compass it can be really reassuring that your God isn't going to shun you because you haven't fully embraced some aspect of dogma yet.

Baccob cares little for how people worship him but is very much into learning. For a character leaving a very evil background based off of pure physical prowess Baccob is about as far as you can get from most Giant deities.

SangoProduction
2016-12-10, 06:47 AM
I doubt that Hadrig would care to worship any deity in particular (at least for an extended period of time). It was more a question of which deity would choose to back this character, which was why I was looking for a knowledge deity.

Since he's going full knowledge hunter, a deity of knowledge might be more likely to offer aid than most others. Preferably a Good god, but I could see some neutrals deciding to be a patron of this character. Boccab, however, seems rather detached from the mortals, and is unlikely to fit that role. Sure, he's not going to reject a character's worship, but is very unlikely to seek it as well.