PDA

View Full Version : Let's make a thieves guild!

SMac8988
2016-12-10, 02:05 PM
So for a game, unknown the length it will last, I have decided to try out a rogue and see how it plays out. My DM like written flaws, and I took one of alligence, which I decided was to my thieves guild even through we are doing a heroic campaign. Felt it would be a fun issue to run into later.

But my DM wasn't planning on it being a thing, and said that I can design the guild and he will run with it.

So figured could be a fun to do as a group!

The city is set similar to Gondor; multiple levels, sewers, heavily guarded, and with a royal family.

So now what do we need to make this group work and what can we add for flavor to make it great?

Balyano
2016-12-10, 02:21 PM
They have a distinct ranking and hierarchy. Your position in that hierarchy determines what you are permitted to do.

Incomplete progression and not necessarily in this order.

Your a kid? Just been ''recruited'' by a wrangler? You can look pathetic and beg, maybe wear a cast and practice your lying skills.

Do good at that? Get to shop lift.

Lay in the street and pretend to be ill or injured, folks stop the cart to check on you (if they dont run you over) play it up, keep their attention on you, your buddies steal from the wagon.

Be the distraction so your buddies to pick some pockets.

Get taught to pick pockets.

Move drugs.

Sell drugs.

Trusted? Collect protection payments.

Deliver messages.

Manage prostitutes.

Grow up big and scary? Threaten to break kneecaps.

Break kneecaps and thumbs, beat a guy till he learns his ''lessons''

Extort for protection money.

Stand guard while a man gets whacked or interrogated.

Dispose of a body.

Torture a guy.

Kill a guy for the guild? Your a made man.

Get good at it? Guild assassin.

Got good logistical skills? You could be a useful man.

Got lots of respect. Maybe an underboss.

Hard work, talent, people skills, and the ability to inspire terror while speaking calmly? You could be the Don some day.

Specter
2016-12-10, 02:30 PM
Some secret mark or gesture comes to mind to prove your allegiance. Think about that.

Depending on the power level of the guild, there wouldn't be only thieves, but diviners, frontmen, entertainers and even clerics could be members too.

SMac8988
2016-12-10, 03:07 PM
Some secret mark or gesture comes to mind to prove your allegiance. Think about that.

Depending on the power level of the guild, there wouldn't be only thieves, but diviners, frontmen, entertainers and even clerics could be members too.

The idea is that each PC has been recruited for there particular skill set. And mine happens to be quick hands and a quick mouth. I was think he will run as a rogueish anti hero, tending to try and talk his way out of a pinch then go for his daggers.

The guild I was thinking something big enough to be known if I run into policing types or other criminals. Where there are some assassin's, some thieves and some corporate coruption guys. He will be from the thieves sec, have a bit of renown within the group, maybe a small blimp on the bosses radar as an up and Comer but nothing major.

He is going to play himself to the group ad a treasure hunter.

I figured the leader of the guild should either be a shadow figure, or a major player in the town. And then have captains below him that handle most anything else.

I like the idea of the gang working some in prostitution, and drugs as well and maybe I'll add it to my moral code that he has avoided that side of the organization.

CaptainSarathai
2016-12-10, 08:00 PM
Go read 'Lies of Locke Lamora.' It's excellebt, and covers a pretty cool little thieves outfit.

I think that if the city is under guard and segregated by class, any thieves guild big enough to be noteworthy is going to have ties to corrupt officials. Maybe even something as far as Harpers having a seat with the Masked Lords of Waterdeep - a high ranking official secretly pulling for the guild.

I also think that you, the DM, and the NPCs should know to differentiate between simple desperate, petty theft, and guild-jobs. Stealing food to live? That's not a guild job. Guilds are taking in enough cash to buy food, legally. Or almost legally.
In fact, I don't even think that the guild would have any permanent presence in the lower levels of the city. They might pop down there to recruit guttersnipes and Oliver Twist types, and I can imagine them doing it with the,
"I was like you once. Now look. You wanna live like me? Try hard, and maybe, if your smart and a little lucky, you could live like me too"

SethoMarkus
2016-12-10, 09:07 PM
Go read 'Lies of Locke Lamora.' It's excellebt, and covers a pretty cool little thieves outfit.

I think that if the city is under guard and segregated by class, any thieves guild big enough to be noteworthy is going to have ties to corrupt officials. Maybe even something as far as Harpers having a seat with the Masked Lords of Waterdeep - a high ranking official secretly pulling for the guild.

I also think that you, the DM, and the NPCs should know to differentiate between simple desperate, petty theft, and guild-jobs. Stealing food to live? That's not a guild job. Guilds are taking in enough cash to buy food, legally. Or almost legally.
In fact, I don't even think that the guild would have any permanent presence in the lower levels of the city. They might pop down there to recruit guttersnipes and Oliver Twist types, and I can imagine them doing it with the,
"I was like you once. Now look. You wanna live like me? Try hard, and maybe, if your smart and a little lucky, you could live like me too"

I agree with Capt. Sarathai; it seems that you are going for a Mafia or Yakuza style operation here. I would make a point in game that The Guild doesn't deal with petty theft, pick-pocketing, muggings, etc. In fact, a lot of the protection racket would involve keeping those unrefined types away from the shops.

Instead, have The Guild not only have a hierarchy, but be tiered.

At the very top is the Guildr Proper. This is where the higher ups, the assassins, the entertainers, officers, and Don are. They deal with money laundering, organizing and running lower operations, bribes and political influence, etc. Any thievery done at this level will only be the biggest of the biggest scores (a sacred relic, the kingdom's crown jewels, etc.). Any gambling dens or brothels would be owned by these types. This is the public face of the Guild, and most of it will involve underhanded but technically (if barely) legal activities.

Just below that tier are the special outfits of the Guild. While technically not Guild members and considered expendable, these "private contractors" work directly for the Guild Proper. Bodyguard type thugs, the muscle, are here. So are the forgery experts and illicit goods pushers. Maybe a drug cartel branch, the prooduction and supplier side of things. Bank heists and protection racketeering are done by this level of the Guild. Those that actually run and manage the gambling dens or brothels are among this tier. Generally the same as the Guild Proper, but more with the illegal aspects. Assassins might not be here, but other types of hitmen or cleaners are here, for if it isn't an inportant target but still needs to be taken out.

Even further below that tier are the bottom feeders. These members are only barely affiliated with The Guild; local gangs and thugs hired or extorted by the middle tier. Pickpockets, muggers, drug dealers, liers and cheats, prostitutes, etc. These types are utterly expendable; barely worth the food or money promised to them. Although, this is where higher ups are recruited from, if the right potential is shown and the right attention is caught.

Of course, each gang or "contracting company" would have their own hierarchy and rules, their own means of recruitment, etc. Maybe some only take professionals and corrupt them. Maybe some take urchins and guttersnipes while they are still young. Maybe some are family businesses.

SLIMEPRIEST
2016-12-10, 09:08 PM
Your guild specializes in blackmail. Everyone has secrets. How else is the guild supposed to function in gondor without the support of prominent people... For all the wrong reasons.

SMac8988
2016-12-10, 10:26 PM
I like the idea of the true face of the guild being a political official within the city, someone who can leak information into the guild by also keep it out of the immediate eye of the guards. I plan for that tk be a problem for my guy, being hunted by the guards of the town, but not something all members deal with.

From there I was thinking of having it fall into tier system.

I also was thinking of a thieves guild council, which this guild leader reports to, to maintain and understanding and a fuctional working relationship with other organizations.

Thanks for the input keep it coming all!!!

Specter
2016-12-11, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the input keep it coming all!!!

Watch Sons of Anarchy. There willbe no better input than that.

Naanomi
2016-12-11, 08:40 PM
A legitimate outlet... or better yet several... is always important. Something innocuous; a hat maker, a mercenary company, etc... organizations that can operate legitimately and withstand scrutiny from the law, but also move goods in and out of town, have reason to have late night meetings, etc. serve as dead drops for information and contracting with generally not getting involved themselves

Also, consider their connection to other similar agencies. How do they handle interactions with similar complementary or even competing organizations... coordinate with guilds from other cities, at war with them, or somewhere in between? Work with independent smugglers and fences who operate outside of the city, or rely only on their own players?

Figure out what lines they will not cross, if any. Drugs? Slavery? Child exploitation? Dark magic? Will they work with apocalyptic cults and conquering mad wizards? If they do have lines they will not cross, what do they do about people who do cross it?

Cespenar
2016-12-12, 05:54 AM
Organic approach: Neighborhood/district system. Ringleaders command small gangs, Bosses/barons command multiple ringleaders and are in relative autonomy in their district. Bosses/barons from X districts come together to form a council and decide on stuff. There aren't any class-based separations, though some districts/barons may be specializing in certain areas, and may be stronger/weaker than each other.

Organic approach v1.01: Same thing, but put a kingpin on top and take a little bit of autonomy from the barons.