PDA

View Full Version : Utility belt rogue

UnwiseAlistair
2016-12-10, 02:51 PM
I recently had the idea of using the theif rogue's fast hands ability to have a 'utility belt' of items to use as a bonus action in combat or other situations. So far I have caltrops and ball bearings as well as a pouch of flour to scatter on the ground to find invisible creatures footprints in combat, what other mundane things could I use? I'm not looking for magic items because I'm not sure what if any of them i'll be able to get, does anyone have any ideas?

Spiderguy24
2016-12-10, 02:59 PM
I recently had the idea of using the theif rogue's fast hands ability to have a 'utility belt' of items to use as a bonus action in combat or other situations. So far I have caltrops and ball bearings as well as a pouch of flour to scatter on the ground to find invisible creatures footprints in combat, what other mundane things could I use? I'm not looking for magic items because I'm not sure what if any of them i'll be able to get, does anyone have any ideas?

Bag of sand to throw into an opponents eyes, or glass if you want to be really sadistic. Alchemists Fire and Acid. Combine Flask of oil with the Alchemists Fire for a deadly combo. Sadly the Players Handbook doesn't have too many items that I can see a Rogue would have on his Utility belt. Anyone else got any good suggestions?

UnwiseAlistair
2016-12-10, 03:04 PM
Bag of sand to throw into an opponents eyes, or glass if you want to be really sadistic. Alchemists Fire and Acid. Combine Flask of oil with the Alchemists Fire for a deadly combo. Sadly the Players Handbook doesn't have too many items that I can see a Rogue would have on his Utility belt. Anyone else got any good suggestions?

Yes! How could I forget Pocket Sand! Thank you Spiderguy!

Spiderguy24
2016-12-10, 03:06 PM
Yes! How could I forget Pocket Sand! Thank you Spiderguy!

All in a days work! *Walks off playing the lute.*

Specter
2016-12-10, 03:08 PM
Instead of a belt, you could use a Bag of Holding. Then, nothing would stop you from pulling ladders and any large item to create blocks and cover.

Spiderguy24
2016-12-10, 03:09 PM
Instead of a belt, you could use a Bag of Holding. Then, nothing would stop you from pulling ladders and any large item to create blocks and cover.

But it's a magic item though. He's looking for mundane items only.

Waffle_Iron
2016-12-10, 03:15 PM
- Rope
- flint and striker
- alchemist fire
- slippery (and flammable) oil
- caltrops
- ball bearings
- tactical pocket sand
- honey
- flashlight*
- loud whistle
- weapon poison
- ingested poison
- metal wire

* have a cleric cast continual flame on a wad of cloth. Then stuff the cloth in the end of a capped metal tube.

Deox
2016-12-10, 03:37 PM
- flour or similar to "coat" invisible enemies

Specter
2016-12-10, 05:22 PM
But it's a magic item though. He's looking for mundane items only.

I get it, but if he comes across it or the DM allows some choosing, it's something to think about.

UnwiseAlistair
2016-12-10, 05:24 PM
- Rope
- flint and striker
- alchemist fire
- slippery (and flammable) oil
- caltrops
- ball bearings
- tactical pocket sand
- honey
- flashlight*
- loud whistle
- weapon poison
- ingested poison
- metal wire

* have a cleric cast continual flame on a wad of cloth. Then stuff the cloth in the end of a capped metal tube.
Thank you for this list, but I'm not sure what the honey and wire are for?

The Cats
2016-12-10, 05:27 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?506061-Ideas-for-using-thief-s-fast-hands-in-combat

stanprollyright
2016-12-10, 05:42 PM
glue
oil
rope w/ grappling hook
tanglefoot bags
alchemist's fire
acid
poison
daggers of various materials
scrolls+wands of various spells
rubber chicken
tindertwigs
wire (tying things together; fishing)
mirror
flour
tactical pocket sandtm
magnifying glass
various tools and skill kits
quill and ink
ball bearings
caltrops
whistle/horn
bells

Specter
2016-12-10, 08:36 PM
tanglefoot bags

That made me miss 3.5.

RickAllison
2016-12-10, 08:57 PM
This makes me think of playing D&D with my girlfriend's family in high school. Everyone else picked up basics like armor and rope while spent the majority of my time just figuring out what on the equipment list I thought I might need.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-10, 09:40 PM
Don't forget the hunting trap.

The Shadowdove
2016-12-10, 10:54 PM
Eggshells filled with ground up glass.

Pouches of ground hot pepper.

Vials of ink.

Laxatives.

Ten foot pool (telescoping)

Mirror

Flank of meat

Vials of oil

Tar

Cocaine

Glass bowl filled with spiders

Ipecac

Chloroform

Anything disguised as a potion

JellyPooga
2016-12-11, 07:38 AM
The humble Mess Kit is often handy; you never know when you'll need a spoon, fork, bowl or shallow pan.

Hrugner
2016-12-11, 09:36 AM
Don't forget using your fast hands to sleight of hand and your action to use whatever items on this list the enemy has. Setting off your opponents bear trap, or crushing their alchemist fire in their pockets, could be quite entertaining.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-11, 10:25 AM
Oh carry a jar of wasps. And throw it at enemy's

The Shadowdove
2016-12-11, 10:32 AM
Don't forget using your fast hands to sleight of hand and your action to use whatever items on this list the enemy has. Setting off your opponents bear trap, or crushing their alchemist fire in their pockets, could be quite entertaining.

I would see this as being one of the main perks of the thief's fast hands.

What do you think DC's should be for someone to sleight of hand their way into people's bags/steal weapons/be able to tell what's inside/etc. ?

Doing Cyril,chris angel, David blain street magic while fighting people sounds like a blast.