PDA

View Full Version : If you had to play a Kobold or a Goblin, what would you play and why?

8wGremlin
2016-12-10, 09:55 PM
If you had to play a Kobold or a Goblin, what would you play and why?

limitations:

Start at 1st level - doubt that it will get to 10th
Standard Point buy
SCAG
EE
Volo
no UA - but possibly revised Ranger
50% urban/social game

Thoughts.

MeeposFire
2016-12-10, 09:59 PM
Just due to my many adventures as one before I have to go with kobold. Back then it was bards and dragonfire adepts but in 5e it will probably be a fighter or rogue.

Nifft
2016-12-10, 10:07 PM
DRAGONWROUGHT KOBO-- oh wait, wrong edition.

Uh.

Probably a Kobold anyway, just because I have a soft spot for the little guys.

Sir cryosin
2016-12-10, 10:16 PM
I'm playing a kobold shadow monk and I'm loving the little dude.

Naanomi
A goblin's 'hide as a bonus action' makes great stealth characters (other than rogues or high level rangers, who can already do that trick) without needing to dip rogue... Shadow monks, druids favoring tiny animal forms, trickery clerics, generally sneaky warlocks, and especially (for me) illusionists...

kobolds and their super-easy advantage are probably the mechanically more exploitable choice though

Blue Duke
Kobold, ranger or rogue. mostly because i have actually wanted to play one for a while but never really had a chance.

Laserlight
2016-12-10, 10:29 PM
I'd have said kobold, until one of my players introduced me to this (http://www.goblinscomic.org/).

comk59
2016-12-10, 10:41 PM
Kobold Sorceror. Because that would be adorable.

Starman973
2016-12-10, 10:48 PM
I have not love for either as I approached this question.
In stats, They both have the +2 dex, but the goblin also gets +1 Con, and we could all use more HP. so because of the -2 st on the Kobold, one point Goblin.
Alignment, size, Darkvision and speed are all the same so that makes it either a Draw or don't matter so no points there.
Cower, Grovel And Beg Vs Fury of the small The Grovel is good but situational while the fury of the small seems like a nice single damage boost. The Kobold will potentially get more damage delt to his distracted foes that the goblin will get with his one solid hit. 1 Point Kobold
Pact tactics Vs Nimble Escape Both are great The best call to make would be based on your DM
s style, if he throws mobs at you the goblin's ability would be great. If he throws single big monsters at you kobold would be great, You know the answer on this point so you make the call here. Tie
Sunlight sensitivity. I know this sounds odd, but I'm only going to take a 1/2 point off for this very situation negative racial flaw.
Languages, If you're doing either of the tiamat adventure modules, 1/2 for the kobold.
In Conclusion, If you're doing the Tiamat modules, go Kobold, if you aren't Go Goblin No -2 str or sunslight issues, and you get a con bonus and a free escape in a tought fight which always happens at the low levels.

DrDinocrusher
2016-12-10, 11:02 PM
I'm playing a kobold shadow monk and I'm loving the little dude.

This is exactly what I want to do with a kobold some day! But I just finished playing a monk in Strahd so it won't happen for quite some time. I might make a goblin wizard/sorcerer just because it sounds amusing.

Ravinsild
2016-12-10, 11:02 PM
I was already planning on seriously playing a Revised Ranger Beastmaster Goblin that rode his Animal Companion and dual-wielded shortswords dipping into 3 levels of Rogue and maybe some fighter or perhaps just 17 Ranger/3 Rogue whichever is better for a small cavalry scout that can also do a lot of damage.

RickAllison
2016-12-11, 03:40 AM
I'm leaning toward a straight Draconic Sorcerer Kobold. Pick up Subtle Metamagic so he can manipulate others invisibly using magic. I kinda like the idea of making him a metallic devotee, someone who has turned their back on Tiamat. If it went to higher levels, I might toss in a few Paladin levels...

MOLOKH
2016-12-11, 04:32 AM
Dual-weilding Kobold Barbarian, called Bold, the bold Kobold.

JellyPooga
2016-12-11, 06:11 AM
Kobold Ranger riding his Giant Weasel beast companion. A terror on the battlefield, loosing a hail of deadly crossbow bolts and riding down his foes in a flurry of tooth and claw...and because the image of a kobold curled up next to his furry companion at night is really sweet :smallredface:

Grubble
2016-12-11, 10:49 AM
Dual-weilding Kobold Barbarian, called Bold, the bold Kobold.

I was going to make one named Ko, the bold kobold.

Foxhound438
2016-12-11, 11:11 AM
kobold shadow monk, eventually dip hunter ranger- preferably revised, but I'd take what I can get.

lunaticfringe
2016-12-11, 12:45 PM
Goblin Land Druid. I like goblinoids, I like playing Small characters, I love Land Druiding and have dipped Rogue 2 for Expertise & Cunning Action which Goblins almost have built in. 30ft Speed & Fury of the Small are just icing on the cake. No real rhyme or reason just personal preference.

Also I never liked that kobolds became Draconic/Dragon related. Boooo! You suck WOTC!

Hopeless
2016-12-11, 12:51 PM
Either a Noble born Goblin Fighter or a Charlatan Kobold Ranger assuming they can operate without being immediately attacked or racially abused like they do in Pathfinder... goblin's chanting and behaving like uncouth barbarians!:smallsmile:

Waazraath
2016-12-11, 02:47 PM

limitations:

Standard Point buy
SCAG
EE
Volo
50% urban/social game

Thoughts.

Goblin dex based fighter, sword & board, either champion or battle master.
- perfect attributes
- extra damage ability
- good option for a bonus action from race

I'd skip the kobold, most campaigns I played have been 50% or more above ground in sunlight, sunlight sensitivity is just too harsch then. I'd only consider it in underdark campaigns and the like (and besides, since I'm from 3.x, I'm a bit tired with the kobold as player option).

Asmotherion
2016-12-11, 03:05 PM

limitations:

Standard Point buy
SCAG
EE
Volo
50% urban/social game

Thoughts.

I generally don't play short races, with the exception of Dwarves, because they can still be awesome. That said, I don't rp as a chibi character, and unless there was a very good reason to do so or I trusted the DM that he would make something good out of it, I would probably not play in such a scenario.

That said, if I ended up playing anyway, Kobold. Just because of the Dragonic Blood and share of dragonic visual. Also, I enjoy playing evil characters.

I would make him a pure Warlock to use Mask of Many Faces and at least look like an other, more awesome race, and latter Master of Mirriad Forms to be in a better body most of the time. Also, Darkness+Devil Sight should take care of that stupid sunlight sensitivity... That aside, my favorite class is warlock either way...

Alternativelly, I'd have him Warlock 3 and then multiclass into Dragon Sorcerer, to claim some true Dragon ancestry, and be seen as a demigod among his species.

Sigreid
2016-12-11, 03:22 PM
Kobold open hand monk because few things are as humiliating as getting your ass beat by a naked kobold using only his fists.

Osrogue
2016-12-11, 03:41 PM
Kobold dragon Sorcerer if only for the moment he/she gets her wings.

Otherwise, bard, because support classes like bards thematically support how kobolds are weak by themselves, but stronger together.

Falcon X
2016-12-11, 05:12 PM
Kobolds have rogue written all over them. They never attack unless they have clear advantage and love to lay traps.

Mith
2016-12-11, 05:38 PM
I would make him a pure Warlock to use Mask of Many Faces and at least look like an other, more awesome race, and latter Master of Mirriad Forms to be in a better body most of the time. Also, Darkness+Devil Sight should take care of that stupid sunlight sensitivity... That aside, my favorite class is warlock either way...

But you are already one of the most awesome races! Unless you can look like a Dragonborn or Dragon. :smallbiggrin:

Asmotherion
2016-12-11, 06:29 PM
But you are already one of the most awesome races! Unless you can look like a Dragonborn or Dragon. :smallbiggrin:

That's the Idea :P

Anderlith
2016-12-11, 07:16 PM
I'd play my avatar; Gnish a goblin fighter, Battlemaster, with a greatsword.

Mith
2016-12-11, 07:20 PM
That's the Idea :P

Fair enough. I was going to be concerned if you were going for a non-draconic race.

Asmotherion
2016-12-11, 07:30 PM
Fair enough. I was going to be concerned if you were going for a non-draconic race.

Have you seen my avatar? Lol XD

When I join a game, I go to great lengths to have at least some dragonic connection on my character. Sometimes I'm Dragonborn, sometimes I'm a Dragon Bloodline Sorcerer (with some warlock levels)... or both. Sometimes, if I decide to play something completelly different, I will first talk to the dm, and make sure he will allow me to get the Half-Dragon Template in game.

Dragons are Awesomness. Dragons Are power.

In RL I even have a Dragon Tattoo on my Shoulder. I am the Dragon Guy. :3

D&D is About Dungeons and Dragons. So, I'm always either the Dungeon Master or a Dragon-like being :P

Pex
2016-12-11, 09:19 PM
I'd play either only for nostalgia reasons. I really liked Meepo from Sunless Citadel. It was cool befriending kobolds.

Now in a 5E Phandelver campaign we befriended the goblins, sort of. We took care of their Big Boss problem, and they went on their merry way. Two liked us a lot and joined our party as NPCs. They even earn XP and gain levels. They were the guards hidden at the front of their cave entrance. Despite the whole party going before them in initiative, by whatever means we attack we all missed. Surviving to the 2nd round, we were able to convince them to surrender. They took us to their leader to discuss their Big Boss problem.

Joe the Rat
2016-12-12, 04:06 PM
Kobold Rogue. Tough call between Arcane Trickster (maaagic) and Swashbuckler (Arch-rival: Cyragnome de Bergerac)
Or Warlock. Fiend = Tiamat works for me.

I'd play my avatar; Gnish a goblin fighter, Battlemaster, with a greatsword.
We have a goblin bard named Gnishgnash. Any chance they're related?

Tanarii
2016-12-12, 04:30 PM
Puck - A goblin fey warlock entertainer from the winter court

Grots
2016-12-12, 11:49 PM
Goblin arcane spellcaster of some sort for sure. Why? I have a boatload of cool goblin caster minis already painted for warhammer. On top of that lazy reason, goblin hide as a bonus action + minor illusion means lots of illusory crates, bushes, boulders, etc to hide inside of.

Maybe charlatan or criminal background. Pick up a disguise kit, have some wax noses, fake moustaches, normal looking dentures, and a lot of makeup, you may be able to pass as a gnome. With magic, your disguises would be even better. With magic missile and greenflame blade, you wouldn't even need a high casting stat.

Tanarii
2016-12-13, 08:38 AM
Maybe charlatan or criminal background. Pick up a disguise kit, have some wax noses, fake moustaches, normal looking dentures, and a lot of makeup, you may be able to pass as a gnome.wait... gnomes don't eat lice they pick off their body? Crap, I've been doing this ALL wrong!

Fuzzy Logic
2016-12-13, 09:52 AM
Goblin wild magic sorceror. Booyagh Booyagh Booyagh!

M Placeholder
2016-12-13, 11:22 AM
Goblin Moon Druid.