PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Using different stats for different skills: let's make a list!

DiceDiceBaby
2016-12-11, 12:44 AM
Hello, Giants!

As noted in the PHB, it is possible for a DM to rule that a PC may use a certain skill with a different ability score.

The most classic example is to use STR instead of CHA to Intimidate. Once, I've seen a DM allow a PC to Investigate using CHA instead of INT by preaching the tenets of his belief to others and thus getting close enough to get information from them.

So, why not let's try doing that with all the skills and all the ability scores? :smalltongue:

Intimidation (I got some of these from the debate over if Intimidate should be a STR or CHA check):
STR: Break something in front of the PC to be intimidated.
DEX: Throw a rock to knock a pipe out of an NPCs mouth.
CON: Endure harming yourself with fire or a knife to show how tough you are.
INT: Display such knowledge over a particular subject matter that no one would argue otherwise with you.
WIS: Use your age and reverence to exude such wisdom that none would dare question your judgement.
CHA: Your confidence allows you to have your way with difficult people who cannot be persuaded save through fear.

Performance
STR: Lift a big boulder and show off how strong you are to win a crowd!
DEX: Perform some neat tumbling stunts in front of an audience!
CON: Survive a death trap Houdini-style to their amazement!
INT: Win at a Q&A trivia portion or quiz contest!
WIS: Display shrewdness and cleverness in a sitcom act!
CHA: Recite grand oratory and enchant a spellbound crowd!

Can you think of many more? In what ways have you been able to (or as a DM, have let someone) use a different stat for a skill you are proficient in? :smallsmile:

Naanomi
2016-12-11, 01:11 AM
From my table:
Charisma + Sleight of Hand: stage magic
Intelligence + Persuasion: formal debate
Strength + Animal Handling: stay riding on a wild animal

TripleD
2016-12-11, 01:53 AM
Athletics
STR: Using your raw muscle power to preform a coordinated physical action
DEX: ... honestly I think a DEX based "Athletics" action should just be "Acrobatics"
CON: Performing an act of athletics for distance and time rather than power (e.g. run a marathon)
INT: A physical act that requires careful thought and analysis (the best climbing advice I ever got was "climb with your eyes"; look and assess where you are going to grab and step before you take any action)
WIS: A paired or team activity. It's not so much what you can do on your own as your ability to "read" your partner.
CHA: Breaking a board in half, or any other activity that doesn't actually require great strength, but rather for you to believe that it is possible (basically your ability to psyche yourself up).

djreynolds
2016-12-11, 01:54 AM
It is table dependent, your choices

If you are doing this, be wary

If you dumped charisma, it should affect you.

A fighter in full plate and shield is intimidating.... but is he as intimidating as sorcerer with a ball of fire in his hands?

I have used and its "seems" fair to just take your strength modifier and charisma modifier and average them together... you may be strong but you still need to know when to flex your muscles

Sabeta
2016-12-11, 02:04 AM
Strength versus all skills

Acrobatics: Your impeccable strength gives you fine motor skills.
Animal Handling: When you're stronger than an Ox, it had better listen
Arcana: useless skill, punch wimpy wizards.
Athletics: Your muscles are already used for this.
Deception: I'm actually stronger than I look.
History: useless skill, I am history.
Insight: By focusing all of my strength into my eye muscles, I can perceive minute changes in a persons demeanor.
Intimidation: Weak creatures are scared of my muscles.
Investigation: Flatten everything into a pancake. Much easier to find things that way.
Medicine: I stop the bleeding by clenching my muscles.
Nature: useless skill, just move the trees.
Perception: See Insight: except with all of my muscles.
Persuasion: "Do the thing, or I'll beat you up."
Performance: I pick things up, and I put them down. People are impressed. I pick them up, then put them down.
Religion: Useless skill, punch gods.
Sleight of Hand: Depends on what you mean by sleight.
Stealth: My muscles are so intense they can make armor quieter. I use micro muscles to individually move every single link of chainmail to avoid sound.
Survival: See Medicine.

A lot of these are a stretch. I guess the takeaway is to try to avoid using Strength on Intelligence.

King539
2016-12-11, 12:00 PM
Hmmmmm... For Intimidaation + INT, I think that's what Sherlock Holmes does to everyone he meets.