PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Appeasers and rationales for less obvious patrons

Xuldarinar
2016-12-11, 01:17 AM
"A rare few seek the power of dark forces for brighter ends by focusing on the utilitarian aspects of a god's portfolio, appeasing their deities through high praise and glorifying their chosen gods' unaligned aspects."

Ok. There are clerics that serve dark patrons, but promote their lighter/more useful aspects. Some gods this path is obvious; Asmodeus is a good patron for one focused on contracts, Abraxas is a demigod of magic and knowledge (although forbidden), Droskar pushes the idea that work equals success.

What I want to focus on are the patrons that the path isn't so obvious. The ones that are throughly malevolent, and see what 'utilitarian aspects' we can draw out, and reasoning why someone would worship them. Patrons like Sifkesh, Apollyon, Folca, ect. would be tough to justify (outside of 'I pray, they give me magic').

So, what are some deities/demigods you think would be difficult to come up with utilitarian aspects to draw upon for an appeaser? Do you think there are any it would be impossible for?
Do you see any that others have mentioned that you could come up with a way for?

TheCorsairMalac
2016-12-11, 03:06 PM
I've heard descriptions of how Lolth runs her show. Chaotic evil nonsense. I think it would be hard to find a good utilitarian reason to worship her. Power over spiders is cool, but they're not particularly useful creatures for most purposes.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-11, 04:55 PM
I've heard descriptions of how Lolth runs her show. Chaotic evil nonsense. I think it would be hard to find a good utilitarian reason to worship her. Power over spiders is cool, but they're not particularly useful creatures for most purposes.

Not a pathfinder patron, but I think I can figure something out here.

1. Lolth (in some settings anyways) was previously an elven goddess of destiny and artisans. One route is therefore either to revere her for who she was, or to consider the whole of who she is and was.

2. Spiders may not be the most useful creatures, but they offer something; Silk.

An appeaser could be someone who makes clothing and armor from silk and offers prayers to Lolth, showing respect for spiders and in return hoping not to be bitten by them as they collect their silk.

legomaster00156
2016-12-11, 05:37 PM
Rovagug is pretty hard to justify if you're not an omnicidal cultist.

Vhaidara
2016-12-11, 08:20 PM
Rovagug is pretty hard to justify if you're not an omnicidal cultist.

Oh, I enjoy this one.

Rovagug the Maligned was actually such a chill and awesome god that the other gods decided to lock him away because he was putting them all to shame.

inuyasha
2016-12-11, 08:28 PM
You could easily try to appease Nerull to make sure he doesn't mistreat your dead relatives, right? Would that count in some way?

upho
2016-12-11, 08:52 PM
Oh, I enjoy this one.

Rovagug the Maligned was actually such a chill and awesome god that the other gods decided to lock him away because he was putting them all to shame.Actually, Rovagug was the first that crossed my mind, since he's primarily into destruction. So with a more long-term holistic approach, I think one could easily view Rovagug simply as the "cosmic bulldozer" which cleans up the old and stale to give room for the new and fresh. Sorta like the Hindu god Shiva in his Nataraja (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nataraja) form.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 12:00 AM
Actually, Rovagug was the first that crossed my mind, since he's primarily into destruction. So with a more long-term holistic approach, I think one could easily view Rovagug simply as the "cosmic bulldozer" which cleans up the old and stale to give room for the new and fresh. Sorta like the Hindu god Shiva in his Nataraja (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nataraja) form.

Problem with this theory is that Rovagug explicitly doesn't want to stop at clearing out the dead wood - he wants to devour absolutely everything, even the "new and fresh", and even including himself once he's done chowing down on everything else. Every single other god in the setting united to oppose him when he burst onto the scene, and "all rational beings, divine and mortal, hate and fear him."

Zanos
2016-12-12, 12:04 AM
Problem with this theory is that Rovagug explicitly doesn't want to stop at clearing out the dead wood - he wants to devour absolutely everything, even the "new and fresh", and even including himself once he's done chowing down on everything else. Every single other god in the setting united to oppose him when he burst onto the scene, and "all rational beings, divine and mortal, hate and fear him."
Considering that clerics of deities that don't share their alignment on both axis are willfully ignoring part of that deity, I don't really think that's an issue. Even a LN cleric of Asmodeus can say he's in it for the discipline and order, but he's ignoring that his deity is also, ya'know, Satan.

Grytorm
2016-12-12, 12:09 AM
I like the idea of a cleric of Kabiri, Pathfinder's Demon Lord of ghouls, who does, stuff. I am having a hard time articulating excactly what. Keeping the ghouls beneath the village placid by making offerings of criminals and enemies to them. Leading a yearly dance macabre in which the dead walk. Performing the proper rituals to force the Nabassu demons who occasionally emerge to take up their hunts elsewhere.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 12:11 AM
Considering that clerics of deities that don't share their alignment on both axis are willfully ignoring part of that deity, I don't really think that's an issue. Even a LN cleric of Asmodeus can say he's in it for the discipline and order, but he's ignoring that his deity is also, ya'know, Satan.

I'm not talking about Asmodeus though, I'm talking about Rovagug, who is very much a special case among the gods. He's basically the Snarl - even the other evil gods don't want him running around. About the only non-nihilistic reason to worship him is to try and tap into his power, which this thread already ruled out as justification.

CN people can worship Rovagug, but CN people can be insane too - and if they're worshiping him, very likely are. I don't think any of his followers are ignoring that about him; in fact, it's pretty much impossible to ignore, it's his entire raison d'être.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-12, 03:48 AM
Rovagug is definitely among the more difficult. Centered around destruction there are a few vectors I can go off on;

Rovagug (and his spawn) are engines of destruction. Destruction leaves room for new things to take root.

Rovagug creates spawn that ultimately ensure the survival of the fittest. Those strong enough to slay his young are worthy to endure, for now.

Rovagug is a Deific Qlippoth and as such represents the ultimate opposition to sin. Though he seeks the destruction of all, perhaps one could believe offered prayers and sacrifices of the wicked may placate the beast while efforts can be made to find another way to put an end to sin itself.

None of these routes do I find satisfying, in part because they seem half assed and could be applied to most evil deities in some form or another, but they are routes. I didn't mention in the original post, but I am not particularly fond of (for sake of discussion) the 'don't hurt me' mode of worship.

To another matter; the Outergods and the Great Old ones. Arn't they fun? They range from; CN so not relevant, to difficult to rationalize beyond belonging in a loony bin, wanting power, or 'don't hurt me' worship. Nyarlathotep might have some utility given their diversity, and shub-niggurath is a fertility goddess, so something could be done there I imagine. Abhoth and Nhimbaloth; Not enough info.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 11:22 AM
None of these routes do I find satisfying, in part because they seem half assed and could be applied to most evil deities in some form or another, but they are routes.

The problem is that you're trying to find a rational reason to worship an inherently irrational being. As I quoted above, nobody who is rational seeks Rovagug, at least not for long - either they realize their error and stop, or persist and eventually cease to be rational themselves.

Imagine a being that, conceptually, has just one line of dogma - "let me out so I can eat everything." And that for said being, absolutely no positive outcome can result from doing that, even for his faithful. How could doing so anyway be rational?

upho
2016-12-12, 12:22 PM
Sorry, I should've been more clear about what I meant with "long-term holistic approach". "Long-term" refers to a cosmic time-scale, too great for mortals to really grasp. And on a such a scale, it's inevitable the entire known multiverse will, sooner or later, have become old and stale. And "holistic" refers to what Xuldarinar mentioned about ensuring "the survival of the fittest", but again on a more cosmic scale - that this multiverse doesn't deserve to exist if it doesn't have the strength to defend itself. In addition, he's the one enemy the other gods have in common, probably lowering the risk of their rivalry having more devastating consequences.

The main reason I find Rovagug somewhat easier than most other evil deities is because of the very things Psyren mentions, that not even the other evil gods want him set lose, and that his entire raison d'être is to destroy the cosmos. The last bit is an important distinction from the other evil gods, because unlike them he's not looking to torment other beings or to gain personal power. He's simply the ultimate and absolute end, undiscriminating and completely honest. And I think this sole purpose makes it possible to view him more like a force of nature or a concept rather than a sentient entity, and to see him as devoid of a moral standing as a storm, a volcano or a black hole.

That said, you may still very well have to be a loony bin or at least pretty darn cynical and/or disillusioned with the cosmos to worship him. I just think you could probably be a rather special case of non-evil and relatively sane worshiper, seeing yourself as a martyr, a necessary sacrifice in order to help keep the cosmos strong (because "someone has to do it").

To another matter; the Outergods and the Great Old ones. Arn't they fun?Definitely. :smalltongue:

They range from; CN so not relevant, to difficult to rationalize beyond belonging in a loony bin, wanting power, or 'don't hurt me' worship. Nyarlathotep might have some utility given their diversity, and shub-niggurath is a fertility goddess, so something could be done there I imagine. Abhoth and Nhimbaloth; Not enough info.Yeah, in this case I really do believe you have to be a true full-on loony, especially since at least the Evil of these are quite mad themselves AFAIK.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-12, 12:57 PM
The problem is that you're trying to find a rational reason to worship an inherently irrational being. As I quoted above, nobody who is rational seeks Rovagug, at least not for long - either they realize their error and stop, or persist and eventually cease to be rational themselves.

Imagine a being that, conceptually, has just one line of dogma - "let me out so I can eat everything." And that for said being, absolutely no positive outcome can result from doing that, even for his faithful. How could doing so anyway be rational?

There is no route we'd consider rational, but a rationale doesn't need to be rational. Only use for Rovagug is if you want everything gone and he is simply a means to that end.

Time, I think, to move on from him; Anyone else that would be impossible (or just really difficult) to come up with a utilitarian aspect to follow?

Psyren
2016-12-12, 01:13 PM
There is no route we'd consider rational, but a rationale doesn't need to be rational. Only use for Rovagug is if you want everything gone and he is simply a means to that end.

It doesn't - but going by your opening post, it does need to be utilitarian, which he is not.

Time, I think, to move on from him; Anyone else that would be impossible (or just really difficult) to come up with a utilitarian aspect to follow?

Part of the problem is that there just isn't a lot of info available about the more minor deities/demon lords/etc. I'm sure for instance that there could be a utilitarian reason to worship Sifkesh, who appears to advocate self-harm and suicide, but lacking more specifics about what she stands for or champions we'd just be speculating (and using speculation that might fall afoul of the forum rules, no less.)

Xuldarinar
2016-12-12, 01:56 PM
It doesn't - but going by your opening post, it does need to be utilitarian, which he is not.

Part of the problem is that there just isn't a lot of info available about the more minor deities/demon lords/etc. I'm sure for instance that there could be a utilitarian reason to worship Sifkesh, who appears to advocate self-harm and suicide, but lacking more specifics about what she stands for or champions we'd just be speculating (and using speculation that might fall afoul of the forum rules, no less.)

Well, lets take that example. Sifkesh.

Sifkesh is the Demon Lord of Heresy and of Suicide
Sifkesh's followers consist of; Blasphemers, heretics, outcasts from other religions, and survivors of botched suicide attempts.
Sifkesh was once an erinyes who left hell and became a demon.
Sifkesh has followers in hell, largely other erinyes who haven't been changed, because reasons.
She consumes souls.
Worship of Sifkesh is typically a deeply personal thing rather than something relegated to cults, though such do exist.
Sifkesh's 'highest ambition' is to corrupt a good and devout person's faith such that when they finally realize what all they have done they turn to suicide.
Sifkesh advocates suicide.
Sifkesh, as a demon lord with stats, apparently counts allowing a foe to kill you counts as suicide.
Sifkesh's domain is the city of Vantian, which is a city by the sea that is constantly falling into the sea, requiring denizens to rebuiild on the other side continuously.
Vantian is filled with temples, though false, containing priests to the gods they deserted before killing themselves.
Unsurprisingly, seraptis demons are among her favored servants. Which are weird.. You have to kill yourself and cause a great deal of suffering with the act. But if you kill yourself to try to become one, you don't get to become one. But if you perform a secret suicide ritual to become one, you get to become one.

So, how can we approach this? Physician-assisted suicide..? A uniter of outcasts that, though to dark ends, encourages followers to learn about and expose themselves to other religions?

Slithery D
2016-12-12, 04:59 PM
An angry (otherwise) atheist who wants overbearing religious authorities to get what is coming to them but doesn't want to get his hands dirty. So he tries to break them of their faith and hopes they will finally resolve matters later.

The AP 100 bonus NPC for Iron Gods was a CN kill all religious people type who could be adapted here.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 05:23 PM
So, how can we approach this? Physician-assisted suicide..? A uniter of outcasts that, though to dark ends, encourages followers to learn about and expose themselves to other religions?

I actually regret singling her out - as the end of my last post alluded to, discussing her leads to all kinds of thorny moral questions that could land us in trouble. To look at the "brighter/utilitarian side of suicide," you first have to define what it is that makes suicide evil in the first place, and why it is that a demon champions the practice instead of an angel. I don't think Paizo gave enough info about her to avoid us treading into brackish, "morally justified" waters.

Apollyon is actually pretty straightforward - spreading plague is a way of inoculating/strengthening the population against hardship. It would be hard to cause that much suffering and remain Neutral, but not impossible if you actively intervene in the very worst cases.

Folca I don't know much about, but he appears to be a patron of kidnapping. You could probably target children in abusive homes and lure them to safety I guess?

Xuldarinar
2016-12-12, 05:51 PM
I actually regret singling her out - as the end of my last post alluded to, discussing her leads to all kinds of thorny moral questions that could land us in trouble. To look at the "brighter/utilitarian side of suicide," you first have to define what it is that makes suicide evil in the first place, and why it is that a demon champions the practice instead of an angel. I don't think Paizo gave enough info about her to avoid us treading into brackish, "morally justified" waters.

Apollyon is actually pretty straightforward - spreading plague is a way of inoculating/strengthening the population against hardship. It would be hard to cause that much suffering and remain Neutral, but not impossible if you actively intervene in the very worst cases.

Folca I don't know much about, but he appears to be a patron of kidnapping. You could probably target children in abusive homes and lure them to safety I guess?

That is a fair point on sifkesh, and on Apollyon.. you are right. Didnt think lf it.

Folca is a little more than kidnapping, but yes that is a route to approach from.

Portfolio Abduction, Strangers, Sweets
Symbol Skeletal handful of sweets
Subdomains Daemon, Deception, Exploration, Lust

...People can draw their own conclusions.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 06:37 PM
That is a fair point on sifkesh, and on Apollyon.. you are right. Didnt think lf it.

Folca is a little more than kidnapping, but yes that is a route to approach from.

...People can draw their own conclusions.

Well obviously you'd want to, uh, avoid the "Lust" part of that :smalltongue::smalltongue:

upho
2016-12-12, 06:44 PM
I actually regret singling her out - as the end of my last post alluded to, discussing her leads to all kinds of thorny moral questions that could land us in trouble. To look at the "brighter/utilitarian side of suicide," you first have to define what it is that makes suicide evil in the first place, and why it is that a demon champions the practice instead of an angel. I don't think Paizo gave enough info about her to avoid us treading into brackish, "morally justified" waters.I agree with all of this. Let us leave Sifkesh in the Abyss.

...People can draw their own conclusions.I think the problem with these - as with most evil entities - is that their Evil alignment, their motive, is such an integral part of what they preach. Meaning I find it hard to imagine you could remain a faithful of Apollyon for very long if you spread plague in order to inoculate/strengthen the population, rather than in order to bring them pain and misery. Same goes for a worshiper of Folca who kidnaps kids in order to save them from abusive homes, rather than in order to get sick sadistic pleasure from, again, the pain and misery. So while both these worshipers follow the means/method commanded by their respective demon lord, I think their motives clash so hard with those of the demon lords I cannot see how they could remain in good standing and be granted spells for very long.

Compare to say a Neutral worshiper of Sarenrae who uses healing in order to prolong the torture his enemies, burning them with fire/sunlight to satisfy his own twisted sense of justice or yearning for personal power. Do you think Sarenrae would continue to grant such a heretic spells until his alignment changes to Evil, or do you think she'd be more likely to cast him out way before any actual alignment shift?

Psyren
2016-12-12, 06:53 PM
I think the problem with these - as with most evil entities - is that their Evil alignment, their motive, is such an integral part of what they preach. Meaning I find it hard to imagine you could remain a faithful of Apollyon for very long if you spread plague in order to inoculate/strengthen the population, rather than in order to bring them pain and misery. Same goes for a worshiper of Folca who kidnaps kids in order to save them from abusive homes, rather than in order to get sick sadistic pleasure from, again, the pain and misery. So while both these worshipers follow the means/method commanded by their respective demon lord, I think their motives clash so hard with those of the demon lords I cannot see how they could remain in good standing and be granted spells for very long.

I think he'd be okay with it because it would lure more dupes into trying to straddle that line, and thus result in more people failing and falling than if it were perceived as impossible. And even if you succeed and stay TN the entire time, congratulations, you get to live in Abaddon anyway, only now you're not the kind of hardened tormenter that actually runs the show down there. In short, it's an immensely stupid approach even if you could pull it off; you'd be better off just doing the sensible thing and worshiping a deity that fights disease normally, like Shelyn.

upho
2016-12-12, 07:39 PM
I think he'd be okay with it because it would lure more dupes into trying to straddle that line, and thus result in more people failing and falling than if it were perceived as impossible.Well, in the case of certain daemons like Apollyon, I have to admit you may be right. Seems they're unusually pragmatic when it comes to demands on the faithful. But I don't think this applies to Folca. Given that he seemingly focuses on much more specific and sorta subtle and calculated forms of cruelty, things which a Neutral worshiper hardly would help promote, I'd expect him to be very dogmatic.

And even if you succeed and stay TN the entire time, congratulations, you get to live in Abaddon anyway, only now you're not the kind of hardened tormenter that actually runs the show down there. In short, it's an immensely stupid approach even if you could pull it off; you'd be better off just doing the sensible thing and worshiping a deity that fights disease normally, like Shelyn.Yeah, I think you'd have to be an actual loony bin or rather far down the left side of the IQ bell curve in order to be a TN follower of Apollyon. The old saying "ignorance is bliss" hardly applies when the consequence of the ignorance is spending eternity at the bottom of the food chain in Abaddon... :smalleek:

Psyren
2016-12-12, 09:01 PM
Well, in the case of certain daemons like Apollyon, I have to admit you may be right. Seems they're unusually pragmatic when it comes to demands on the faithful. But I don't think this applies to Folca. Given that he seemingly focuses on much more specific and sorta subtle and calculated forms of cruelty, things which a Neutral worshiper hardly would help promote, I'd expect him to be very dogmatic.

I have no idea what Folca focuses on to be honest; there just isn't a lot there. He pretty clearly drives a windowless van and isn't allowed within 500ft. of Golarion's schools, but beyond that...

Yeah, I think you'd have to be an actual loony bin or rather far down the left side of the IQ bell curve in order to be a TN follower of Apollyon. The old saying "ignorance is bliss" hardly applies when the consequence of the ignorance is spending eternity at the bottom of the food chain in Abaddon... :smalleek:

Indeed, and this takes us right back to the "rational being" discussion.

I mean, the passage in the OP that sparked all this is qualified by "a rare few seek." Not only does it fail to describe how rare it means (1% is rare, but so is 0.000001% after all), it also says nothing about how successful they are, only that even trying is rare. So yeah, there probably are a rare few who look at the likes of Appolyon and go "I could totally do that and stay TN, sign me up!" And even if every single one of them fail to do so and either fall to evil or switch patrons before it's too late, that line would still be true.

Grytorm
2016-12-12, 09:04 PM
Well, lets take that example. Sifkesh.

Sifkesh, as a demon lord with stats, apparently counts allowing a foe to kill you counts as suicide.

Hmm? Interesting. I could see a fallen priest who turns to Sifkesh for power as they go to confront a corrupt church or some other implacable force responsible for their downfall.

Frosty
2016-12-13, 06:55 AM
What utility aspects would you think characters may focus on for Nocticula? Stealth?

Thealtruistorc
2016-12-13, 11:52 AM
Rovagug is an interesting beast, certainly, and I've been utilizing him to some effectiveness in a recent campaign where his cult is a prominent BBEG. His portfolio is ultimate destruction, that much cannot be debated, so I started thinking about ways in which an individual could rationalize this. My ideas and reasons are below:

I am the eldest of the gods by a long margin, a keeper of this universe that has witnessed time rotate its perverse hands for countless eons. I have watched ages go by where races and civilizations have risen from the earth to begin glorious new societies, where men have through hard work and determination built up monoliths to their existence and declared that the beginning of a new world is upon them. This world, they say, is beyond the sins of mankind, beyond the stupidity and arrogance that cloud the judgement and capacity of all those around them. All of these prophets have declared that the world they build is one that offers hope for the future, that could rise above its origin steeped in misery and weakness.

And every last one of these prophets has been wrong.

Bit by bit, these glorious evolutions turn to savagery. Benevolent men become thieves and murderers as their wells run dry. Enlightened leaders turn to fear and bloodshed when the populations defy them. Mothers starve their sick children when they can only attain enough bread for themselves. I have watched this happen over and over and over again, each time with slightly less hope that the ambitions of good men will persist in the face of conflict. Eventually, I realize that mortals are beyond saving, and no matter what gods, geniuses, or sages may try, the only fruits that remain in the end are long, drawn-out suffocation of the lives and hopes of those who once thought themselves saved.

Eventually, my travels brought me to Golarion, a world like so many others that I had seen before and which offered all of the same promises: momentary grandeur, delusions of greatness, and an extended decline in which millions are desiccated in slow, agonizing ruin. Each civilization, offering great hope but at the same time swollen with vice, could only be trusted with the desolation that I had see :on so many other worlds, each being condemning themselves and their children to yet another lifetime of suffering. And it is in this discovery that I spoke the words that have come to define my existence.

No more

Calling upon all of my incredible power, I leveled my unbridled wrath upon the doomed civilization, praying that I might have the speed and fortitude to end it mercifully before the long walk to desolation began. The young, ignorant gods which would defend this globe lashed out, and as I had nothing to lose I fought against them with all of my power for years. Thousands were spared from the plague that is progress that day, rescued by the serene arms of oblivion. However, I could not save everyone, and was shackled beneath the earth while thousands of slower, more malefic destroyers continued to walk the earth.

From my prison, I still feel and hear all of it. The screams of men at the rack as they suffer through a slow and painful murder, the desperation of vagrants lost in the desert, all water slowly bleeding from their bodies, the cries of the lowly as their saviors march off in yet another holy war, refusing help to those in their midst. Every one of these deaths is a fire in my mind, more painful than any magics that Sarenrae or her ignorant ilk could fabricate. My suffering is not in this prison, it is in watching those above me crawl unknowingly to yet another painful oblivion.

However, my voice is still known to the lowly, the desperate of the world who have nothing left to lose and seek the answer I provide. I offer them my wisdom, showing them the fate of those who persist in life and explaining why total destruction is the closest thing to redemption that they could ever hope for. My spawn, born with this knowledge, continue to carry out the work I no longer can, and with my followers' aide there is still hope that some can escape the endless cycle of agony that awaits them on this world.

Many assume that the name Rovagug means plague or destroyer, ruin or harbinger of agony. All of these are wrong. I was given this name eons ago by a race that saw my true purpose, a race whose tongue holds no record even in the deepest corners of the akashic record. In their memory, I have kept the name they have given me, the name of Rovagug whose meaning is simple to understand if mortals would only think on it:

Redeemer

Psyren
2016-12-13, 01:01 PM
Ah, the good old Straw Nihilist / Woobie Destroyer clichés, those never get old :smalltongue:

"This sinful city/nation/continent/world/system/galaxy/universe/multiverse/timestream/tesseract must be cleansed!"

Xuldarinar
2016-12-13, 01:41 PM
What utility aspects would you think characters may focus on for Nocticula? Stealth?

Actually, Nocticula is in some ways the easiest. Many a heretic revere her as a demigoddes of outcasts, artists, and the glories of midnight, and has been known to gladly grant spells to these individuals. In fact, unless I am mistaken she does ascend to goddess hood as a CN goddess of these things at some point in time, so suddenly she isn't valid anymore for use by the archetype.

Frosty
2016-12-13, 02:11 PM
I guess pole dancing counts as artistry :smalltongue: but what the heck are the glories of midnight?

CockroachTeaParty
2016-12-13, 09:17 PM
Urgathoa: Pretty easy for an appeaser. Part of her portfolio is hedonism, gluttony, and sensation. She could be spinned like an undead-friendly Bacchus. Someone who likes the idea of romance between the living and the undead (Bella & Edward style) could also champion Urgathoa. She also defied the cycle of death and rebirth, which some people might find admirable (fight the system, man).

Zon-Kuthon: Again, surprisingly easy. Just because you're a masochist doesn't mean you're necessarily evil. Artists on the cutting edge of strange tastes and aesthetics could find an ally in Zon-Kuthon. A monk or psychic focusing on the power of pain as a learning tool or a method of opening up pathways to enlightenment etc., could also spin Zon-zon as an ally.

Lamashtu: If nothing else she's a fertility goddess. Those on a crusade to batter down the walls of 'normal' sexuality could also find common cause with this ascended demon lord.

Norgorber: Some of his aspects aren't too nasty. If I recall, some halflings appreciate his poison-making aspect, and champion him as someone who can give small people a way to fight back against bigger foes. Keeping secrets isn't necessarily an inherently evil act, and someone interested in keeping dangerous knowledge secret could find Norgorber an ally. An appeaser will likely be glossing over the 'father skinsaw' aspect, though. He was also the first mortal to pass the Test of the Starstone (discounting Aroden), so that's somewhat admirable.

Spellbound
2016-12-13, 10:36 PM
I think it's easier to create rationalization when you consider that some regions may be limited in the deities available to them. Lamashtu may not be your first choice as a fertility Goddess, but she not only gets results but actively wants her offspring to prosper and her followers offspring are given the same benefits if they keep the faith. Hell, you can make an argument that she'said generally pro family, since that increases the chances of her offspring thriving. Sure, her ideal family unit has little issue with murder, rape, or cannabalism when used as means to provide for and grow the family, but she doesn't require those behaviors as long as you make the appropriate sacrifices and offerings. If you don't have other viable options it's a lot easier to accept bad tradeoffs.

Edited because phones are poor tools for expressing ideas.

Xuldarinar
2016-12-13, 11:56 PM
Appeasers of an Daemonic entity;

There is a reason that covers this entire category, and that is the desire for a finite existence. There are those who fear eternity. What happens with most other patrons? You die, you get judged, you are sent to their domain, and whatever happens... happens. Only being sent to Abaddon, with few exceptions, gets you a chance to have a finite existence.

Aesdurath; What we do know is, they don't fit the bill mentioned above. But if you want to seek immortality, there is utility there. Their portfolio consists of liches so, likely that is their promoted route.
Ajids: A taxidermist, by hobby or profession, could find this daemonic harbinger suitable as a patron, once you get past the fact that their focus is likely skilling people and making trophies out of them.
Anogetz: If you are true neutral and are a part of a resistance force, possibly in the defense of nature, then... you got something here.
Arlachramas: ..The daemonic harbinger of euthanasia, and what to do with the body after. Lets just leave this one there.
Braismois: For the legalistic True Neutral character who wants to help people get out of contracts, we have this one. Chaotic enough to want to break them, Lawful enough to care about the written word.
Cixyron: For clerics who want a patron that would support them getting the Amateur Gunslinger feat.
Corosbel: Someone who wants a finite existence could offer prayers to him, fake worship someone else to please Corosbel, and then get the reward they want.
Diceid: The death of one species allows room for another to take its place. Invasive species are often brought in as decorative things, and perhaps in that there can be a utility.
Ealdeez: ...For that cleric who wants things to go back to the 'good old days'.
Folca: I just can't advocate the worship of the Daemonic embodiment of "Stranger Danger." Useful for a horror campaign and messing up paladins for life, not for appeasers.
Geon: If you like horses then they might do well for you.
Hastrikhal: Fire can be very utilitarian, so can explosives.
Jacarkas: In a culture that deems slavery acceptable, for a cleric who advocates its use but isn't... as malevolent as everyone else. Maybe?
Laivatiniel: For TN clerics with children who they do not want to leave home, ever..
Llamolaek: Finally someone that has more of an entry than saying they are obscure. Rebirth, Rites of Passage, and Transformation is a remarkably non-malevolent portfolio.
Mneoc: The old do take up resources.. Though now I am thinking of this one being worshipped by the owner of a retirement home.
Nalmungder: Basements and Closets do make good hiding places, and have a great deal of utility in their own right. For Delusions of Safety, we deal with that all the time. Making people feel safe, even though they are not actually any safer, can be useful and a good thing to an extent.
Osolmyr: Self-denial, Flagellation, and Repression.. Are we sure this one is evil?
Pavnuri: Delivering messages and other information, especially in secret, is a very utilitarian focus.
Roqorolos: I'll have to get back to this one... Maybe praying to them could be useful when your country is at war with a nation with a superior naval force?
Ruapceras: Not finding utility in Cyclical revenge, Crusades, and Intolerance.
Slandrais: Love potions, though in my view an evil tool, to have utility to them. Especially when using such things correctly politically.
Stygidvod: Another that goes against the one that spans all, for the most part. Wanting to stay young forever is useful, but Wills is something that I feel may fit the bill more. A TN cleric who helps handle Wills.
Tamede: Rotting is a needed process for life, and fungi have a number of uses; Food, medicine, recreation, and helping to break things down even.
Tresmalvos: Sewers were an invention that help make modern living possible. Just on that basis, Tresmalovos makes for a solid patron for an appeaser.
Uaransaph: Nonmagical flight is something that could be pursued as a utilitarian aspect. Not sure what to make of the trap-door spider elements in there though..
Vorasha: A snake patron, with poison and toxicity as parts of their portfolio. I give to you the patron of a Cleric who is fond of habushu.
Xsistaid: Maggots have been found to be very useful in medicine. That being said, Im sure the focus is on parasitic maggots that eat living tissue as well as dead.
Zaigasnar: Body modifications can be useful.
Zelishkar: Cremation is the utilitarian aspect of this one's portfolio.