PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing a Gnome Commoner (Yes, really).

Jergmo
2016-12-11, 12:14 PM
Hello, Playgrounders. I'm working on a commoner campaign with a friend, and I plan on making a gnomish alchemist in a game where we not only do weekly in-game updates to do commoner-y stuff to make a living, but also occasionally fight monsters.

I'm trying to figure out different ways to acquire new spells using feats, and I have seen the feats in Complete Arcane that allow you to use different cantrips as 1/day abilities, as well as a couple in Races of Stone for the commune with burrowing animals spell.

However, we are not using anything from the Eberron or Faerun campaign settings, which limits some of my options. It can be assumed that we are good to use any sourcebook that isn't Dragon Magazine or campaign setting specific. Does anyone have any ideas?

Inevitability
2016-12-11, 12:44 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Mage's Spectacles)?

Cerefel
2016-12-11, 02:25 PM
Psionic-Magic transparency could potentially allow psionics to qualify you for Craft (Alchemy) which would make Hidden Talent a good feat.

also Apprentice (Craftsman) is a good option for any dedicated crafter

Erit
2016-12-11, 02:44 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Mage's Spectacles)?

Shape Soulmeld (Anything not Totemist-exclusive) would be a fairly strong pick for this situation. Then again, Shape Soulmeld is absurdly good.

TheCorsairMalac
2016-12-11, 03:27 PM
While they're not truly 'spells', the martial maneuvers from Tome of Battle are functionally very similar. The Martial Study feat lets you use one once per encounter. They can be as mundane as your sword dealing fire damage for one hit, or as awesome as short range teleportation.

Also, the Martial Stance feat gives access to stances, which are constant effect. You can get something similar to Spider Climb, Scent, Sneak Attack, or even Levitation.

Probably not something you'll get for a peasant character, but many grafts also give spell-like abilities.

Unearthed Arcana has a feat called Craft Alchemical Item that waives the spellcaster requirement on Craft(Alchemy). It uses some sort of craft points variant rule though.

If you can pull a feat from Pathfinder RPG, then Master Craftsman is a good one. It lets you use a crafting skill as Craft Magic Arms/Armor and Craft Wondrous Item.

Also not technically spells, but Skill Tricks(From Complete Scoundrel) can give similar effects. Magical Appraisal is Identify 1/day. Clarity of Vision is 1 round See Invisibility. Walk the Walls lets you make a move action up vertical surfaces.

gorfnab
2016-12-11, 05:58 PM
Since you're playing a Gnome the Natural Trickster feat (RoS) will get you an additional SLA option.

Otherwise this handbook may help you out a bit with finding other options for a commoner.
The Commoner Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?232822-The-Commoner-Handbook)

This handbook has a decent list of ways to get more SLAs as well.
Feats that Grant SLAs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-329656.html)

Luccan
2016-12-11, 06:15 PM
This might not fit your theme, but I'm pretty sure there are a few different ways (feats and the like) from various books that would let you swing getting a familiar from your base SLAs alone. If you really want to push it, you or someone in your party should try to get an Animal Companion. Even if it's as a ranger, you get a melee and/or mount.

Afgncaap5
2016-12-11, 06:22 PM
I'm gonna second the Shape Soulmeld thing. The "acidic spittle" one is a surprisingly good fit on a commoner if you can find a way to charge it up.

IcarusWulfe
2016-12-11, 07:06 PM
Trivial Knowledge+Knowledge Devotion?