PDA

View Full Version : Dryad PC suggetions.

TypoNinja
2016-12-11, 05:07 PM
So, I've got a Dryad PC. The setting is forgiving to it, and the Acorn of Far travel helps, so my DM gave it an LA and his blessing.

My question is, we're still relatively low level. What do I do with a Dryad?

I was thinking Druid levels, just because that seems very appropriate, and its important I thematically match the setting. I came *this close* to VoP on it, but decided I didn't want to be that Good.

I'm naturally a terrible melee combatant, and get some fairly nice SLA's, so I'm thinking sticking with spell casting would be idea despite my many missing levels to the Dryad.

I am currently literally naked, and carrying almost nothing. Again to fit the setting. I'm a Dryad in my home forest, not exactly totting around the standard adventures kit, why would I?

A lance and a Longbow are my only possessions at this point. We have a Bear Paladin PC who I plan to ride into combat so my feat choices are currently aimed at mounted combat.

My stats are high enough to justify a thurge, can I possibly use dryad SLA's to help with entry to to say Arcane Hierophant? I rather like the idea of the superpowered Familiar/Companion combo it provides.

Bonus points for a way to make that combo creature my Home Tree at some point.

Any suggestions on how to overcome my tree bound limit would also be nice. The Acorn of Far Travel helps, but I still have to go home regularly, and I'm one good dispel magic form being very screwed.

Cruiser1
2016-12-11, 06:32 PM
Any suggestions on how to overcome my tree bound limit would also be nice.
A Dryad's Tree Dependence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dryad.htm) is listed as a (Su) ability. Therefore, a casting of Sor/Wiz spell Ability Rip (SK) can permanently remove it from you. Just pay for the NPC casting of a 7th level spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) to transfer your Tree Dependence (to say a mosquito that's going to die in a few days anyway) for just 910 gp. :smallsmile:

Necroticplague
2016-12-11, 07:37 PM
Any suggestions on how to overcome my tree bound limit would also be nice. The Acorn of Far Travel helps, but I still have to go home regularly, and I'm one good dispel magic form being very screwed.

With enough levels in Druid, you could use Liveoak spell to animate it and have your tree follow you around. Lasts days/level, so you only need to cast it every few days (and even a dispel doesn't completely screw you, you're just limited around the new tree location until you can re-cast).

In Eberron Campaign Setting, there's a type of tree that still continues to live after you chop it down. It's explicitly noted that cutting down the tree and crafting it into objects just means that the dryad has to stay near one of those objects. So you could simply have a Livewood Quarterstaff made from your tree that you need to carry around with you.

TypoNinja
2016-12-11, 08:22 PM
With enough levels in Druid, you could use Liveoak spell to animate it and have your tree follow you around. Lasts days/level, so you only need to cast it every few days (and even a dispel doesn't completely screw you, you're just limited around the new tree location until you can re-cast).

In Eberron Campaign Setting, there's a type of tree that still continues to live after you chop it down. It's explicitly noted that cutting down the tree and crafting it into objects just means that the dryad has to stay near one of those objects. So you could simply have a Livewood Quarterstaff made from your tree that you need to carry around with you.

Ebberon setting stuff is usually out, but that liveoak trick is good. A 1/week spell completion item that casts live oak should be about 3 grand if I remember my magic item rules properly. I'll use that if I can find somebody to make it for me.

DrMotives
2016-12-11, 09:32 PM
There's a Dragon magazine (#357) with a plant companion ACF for a druid's animal companion. The druid selects an upgrade from a menu at every level up. That option would be thematic if your DM ruled that your bound tree was said plant companion.

Bronk
2016-12-11, 10:55 PM
The 'Acorn of Far Travel' spell is different for dryad and non-dryad casters. The target of the spell is 'one acorn', and the first part of the spell description states that the spell must be cast on one acorn still attached to a living oak tree. However, the dryad specific part alters that, stating that the spell must be cast on an acorn 'harvested' from their bonded oak tree.

Long story short, because dryads have to cast the spell on an acorn from their own tree but not currently attached to it, you can just keep casting the spell on the same acorn over and over without having to go back to your tree every time.

Maybe keep a few spare acorns if you plan on using them for the other uses of the spell (as a tree for plant travel magic or as a material component for another spell), which consumes the acorn.

SirNibbles
2016-12-11, 11:58 PM
Awaken (PHB, pg 202) is an option as well to make your tree follow you around. The duration of the spell is instantaneous, which is a huge benefit, since it means you needn't worry about dispelling or antimagic.

TypoNinja
2016-12-12, 12:14 AM
Maybe keep a few spare acorns if you plan on using them for the other uses of the spell (as a tree for plant travel magic or as a material component for another spell), which consumes the acorn.

Yea but you can only have one at a time, so if I consume it for a spell component, it pretty much can only be to Tree Stride to my tree, or I'm basically committing suicide.

Awaken (PHB, pg 202) is an option as well to make your tree follow you around. The duration of the spell is instantaneous, which is a huge benefit, since it means you needn't worry about dispelling or antimagic.

An option I was looking at for higher levels, alas, I can't make it my companion if I do that.

Metahuman1
2016-12-12, 06:02 AM
Reguarding a build path. You could do worse then Druid. But since you've got a Bear Paladin (I'm curious on how that works incidentally. Is it a Werebear? Awakened Bear? Anthropomorphic Animals rules Bear?) I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest something different.

Play either a Bardsader or Bardblade build, and Optimize inspire courage.

You'll get good enough at fighting to justify riding the bear into battle. And anyone and everyone that either has to make lots of attacks (Monks, Two Weapon Fighting Users, Archers, Multy attack users/Characters with several natural weapons and attacks, like, say, a bear.) or who uses power attack (which more melee builds should be using then shouldn't.) Will love you as you'll be making them THAT much more effective.

As for fitting, your a Fey who's a formidable guardian of the forests, and has some measure of grace and tact and skill with a particular penchant for music and a touch of magic. Sounds like it should fit right in for a Dryad.

TypoNinja
2016-12-12, 12:37 PM
Reguarding a build path. You could do worse then Druid. But since you've got a Bear Paladin (I'm curious on how that works incidentally. Is it a Werebear? Awakened Bear? Anthropomorphic Animals rules Bear?)

Technically awakened animal, but instead of the underwhelming 3d6int +1d3cha + 2HD rules, the DM just had us roll stats as PC's and apply the animals attribute modifiers as if it was a monstrous race. So for example, our Black bear took his 3 Racial HD, then stat adjustments of Str +8, Dex +2, Con +4, Int +0, Wis +1, Cha -4 from the black bear stat block of Str 19, Dex 13, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6. It was an option for everybody, but I'd *just* finished being a were-tiger in another game so wasn't feeling another animal right away. It was however a great excuse to do what I've always wanted and try a dryad finally since our 'natures defenders of the woodland' theme setting is probably my best shot at making it work.

I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest something different.

You'll get good enough at fighting to justify riding the bear into battle. And anyone and everyone that either has to make lots of attacks (Monks, Two Weapon Fighting Users, Archers, Multy attack users/Characters with several natural weapons and attacks, like, say, a bear.) or who uses power attack (which more melee builds should be using then shouldn't.) Will love you as you'll be making them THAT much more effective.

As for fitting, your a Fey who's a formidable guardian of the forests, and has some measure of grace and tact and skill with a particular penchant for music and a touch of magic. Sounds like it should fit right in for a Dryad.

I've literally never played a bard before, so I don't know what either of those builds are, or how to optimize inspire courage. I'll need a link or more details, please.

The party as it stands is currently that Bear Paladin, and another druid focusing on wildshaping, so it sounds like that could be a good plan. And the Bear does indeed have Power Attack and Cleave. So far my only plan for the future is a feat my DM pointed me at. I can use my mounts Strength instead of mine when charging with a lance. Needless to say, Bear has way more Str than I do.

My only limit is, no book, no use. On the plus side between the two of us, my DM and I own a shocking amount of content, however no ToB is a big missing one.

Telonius
2016-12-12, 12:45 PM
High int, high wis, very high dex, very high charisma. Bardsader sounds like a pretty good idea for the charisma synergy, though I'd be tempted to throw in two levels of Swordsage to get a Shadow Hand stance, Dex to Damage through Shadow Blade, and Wisdom to AC. But if ToB is off the table, that's out altogether.

Calthropstu
2016-12-12, 12:49 PM
Reguarding a build path. You could do worse then Druid. But since you've got a Bear Paladin (I'm curious on how that works incidentally. Is it a Werebear? Awakened Bear? Anthropomorphic Animals rules Bear?) I'm gonna go against the grain and suggest something different.

Seconded. I have seen games with bardic types granting an amazing +12 to hit +10 damage via spells and music with an arcane archer... it got ridiculous.

Metahuman1
2016-12-12, 10:24 PM
Yeah, unfortunately if you don't have Tome of Battle, you're missing feats, base classes an an entire subsystem you need to make that work.

If you can somehow get ahold of Tome of Battle for the game, then it would be amazing however. Like, freaking incredible.

With out tome of Battle, En, Bard is still workable, but it's gonna be a LOT less effective on it's own. Optimized inspire courage will still be something the wild shape focused druid and it's summons and animal companion, and the Bear Paladin, will love you for though.

TypoNinja
2016-12-13, 12:47 AM
Yeah, unfortunately if you don't have Tome of Battle, you're missing feats, base classes an an entire subsystem you need to make that work.

If you can somehow get ahold of Tome of Battle for the game, then it would be amazing however. Like, freaking incredible.

With out tome of Battle, En, Bard is still workable, but it's gonna be a LOT less effective on it's own. Optimized inspire courage will still be something the wild shape focused druid and it's summons and animal companion, and the Bear Paladin, will love you for though.

I keep my eyes open at my local (and no so local) used bookstores, but so much of 3.5 has been out of print for so long, finding new books is always minor miracle territory.

Found a Races of Dragon last week, was very happy, DM is very jealous :D

Can you point me at a ToB less bard build? So far the bard suggestion, and Druid to Arcane Hierophant are my two leading options.

Inevitability
2016-12-13, 01:00 AM
Can you point me at a ToB less bard build? So far the bard suggestion, and Druid to Arcane Hierophant are my two leading options.

Bard/Sublime Chord is a classic.

There's also the inspiration-buffmonkey: get a masterwork natural horn, learn Inspirational Boost, be a dragonborn star elf or silverbrow human or something like that, take Dragonfire Inspiration, and start throwing around +Xd6 fire damage to everyone's attacks.

Note: doesn't work if the party isn't mostly martial.

TypoNinja
2016-12-13, 01:22 AM
Bard/Sublime Chord is a classic.

There's also the inspiration-buffmonkey: get a masterwork natural horn, learn Inspirational Boost, be a dragonborn star elf or silverbrow human or something like that, take Dragonfire Inspiration, and start throwing around +Xd6 fire damage to everyone's attacks.

Note: doesn't work if the party isn't mostly martial.

I'm a Dryad, so the dragonblood subtype is a little out of reach there.

I'd jump on fochlucan lyrist in a heartbeat, if it wasn't for the wacky evasion requirement.

Eisfalken
2016-12-13, 02:52 AM
The problem is that even if you animate/awaken the dryad's tree, it may not fit into every area, and you can only be up to 900 feet (180 squares) from it. In most dungeons, this isn't a huge issue, since a Large creature can squeeze through a 5-ft. doorway, but there are other dungeons with a list of problems: Small-sized tunnels, damaging environments (especially fire/lava, which is a particular danger), etc.

Would you consider a killoren? They're a fey PC race from RotW that can rock the whole green skin look. They don't have any really outstanding bonuses to stats, but they definitely fit the "child of the forest" feel a dryad brings to the table.

If not them, a half-fey creature from Fiend Folio looks damn good: flight at double land speed (good), a pretty decent list of SLAs (including charm person at will, qualifying for mindbender without needing to take that spell), good special qualities, decent stats (the Con penalty kind of hurts, but it's nothing you can't overcome), and all at just +2 LA (which is easy to buy off, if the DM allows it, or won't stop you from getting 9th-level spells if that's your thing).

As for builds, anything could fit a "woodland fey" theme. Sublime chord bard, arcane heirophant (mixes arcane and druid spellcasting and gives you an uber-pet), mystic ranger, etc. It really depends on what you want to do. You could pretty easily gish with mystic ranger right out of the box (ranger spells are divine, but very combat focused), go full spellcaster in a number of ways (if you go killoren you could go arcane heirophant, pick up pet-boosting feats and spells, and eventually get yourself 9th-level spells in TWO different lists). Really just depends on what you want this fey to do here.

TypoNinja
2016-12-13, 03:50 AM
The problem is that even if you animate/awaken the dryad's tree, it may not fit into every area, and you can only be up to 900 feet (180 squares) from it. In most dungeons, this isn't a huge issue, since a Large creature can squeeze through a 5-ft. doorway, but there are other dungeons with a list of problems: Small-sized tunnels, damaging environments (especially fire/lava, which is a particular danger), etc.

I don't really want the thing to fight with me, since having it killed will kill me too. (its hard to stay within a distance of something that doesn't exist anymore.) I'm just mainly worried about being days of travel away from it. I'm one good dispel magic on my Acorn of Far Travel from being 4d6 hours from death. I can tree stride a fair distance, even keeping my tree within 50ish miles of me makes my death a lot less likely.

Would you consider a killoren? They're a fey PC race from RotW that can rock the whole green skin look. They don't have any really outstanding bonuses to stats, but they definitely fit the "child of the forest" feel a dryad brings to the table.

If not them, a half-fey creature from Fiend Folio looks damn good: flight at double land speed (good), a pretty decent list of SLAs (including charm person at will, qualifying for mindbender without needing to take that spell), good special qualities, decent stats (the Con penalty kind of hurts, but it's nothing you can't overcome), and all at just +2 LA (which is easy to buy off, if the DM allows it, or won't stop you from getting 9th-level spells if that's your thing).

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am a Dryad now, the first game was last week, DM spun the setting out and I was like "This is actually a chance to try this!" I can't use alternatives, its a game in progress, I'm just curious what to do with it now. So far my leading contender is Druid/Sorcerer, to Arcane Hierophant. I like keeping the druid casting, and I really like the idea of the combo familiar/companion.

I'm not opposed to some bard shenanigans either, but I'm never done that before so I don't know my options of the top of my head. Our first combat relied heavily on my SLA's so I'm kind of fond of the idea of a 'power of my voice' theme, things do what I tell them too.

As for builds, anything could fit a "woodland fey" theme. Sublime chord bard, arcane hierophant (mixes arcane and druid spellcasting and gives you an uber-pet), mystic ranger, etc. It really depends on what you want to do. You could pretty easily gish with mystic ranger right out of the box (ranger spells are divine, but very combat focused), go full spellcaster in a number of ways (if you go killoren you could go arcane hierophant, pick up pet-boosting feats and spells, and eventually get yourself 9th-level spells in TWO different lists). Really just depends on what you want this fey to do here.

We've got melee covered, as I mentioned above, party consists of me, a (VoP) Bear Paladin, and a Druid focusing Wildshape who's planning on hitting Natures Warrior. So some support casting seems to be what the doctor ordered.

Bronk
2016-12-13, 04:11 PM
Yea but you can only have one at a time, so if I consume it for a spell component, it pretty much can only be to Tree Stride to my tree, or I'm basically committing suicide.

You can only have one instance of 'acorn of far travel' at one time, but you can have as many of your tree's regular acorns as you can carry waiting in the wings to have the spell cast on them as backups.

Red Fel
2016-12-13, 04:17 PM
I'm a Dryad, so the dragonblood subtype is a little out of reach there.

Is it, though? The Dragontouched feat only requires Cha 11. The fluff for it doesn't even mandate ancestry: "You have a trace of draconic power, a result of dragons in your ancestry or a spiritual connection between you and the forces of dragonkind." (Emphasis added.) Your tree grew over centuries in a forest guarded jealously by a Green Dragon, done.

Gives you the Dragonblood subtype, some little bonuses, and the ability to take Draconic feats.

Be a Green Dragon Dryad Bard. Do it.

Calthropstu
2016-12-13, 07:44 PM
Is it, though? The Dragontouched feat only requires Cha 11. The fluff for it doesn't even mandate ancestry: "You have a trace of draconic power, a result of dragons in your ancestry or a spiritual connection between you and the forces of dragonkind." (Emphasis added.) Your tree grew over centuries in a forest guarded jealously by a Green Dragon, done.

Gives you the Dragonblood subtype, some little bonuses, and the ability to take Draconic feats.

Be a Green Dragon Dryad Bard. Do it.

Isn't there a dream dragon?

He could play a dream dragon dryad druid. FTW.

Metahuman1
2016-12-14, 12:05 AM
I keep my eyes open at my local (and no so local) used bookstores, but so much of 3.5 has been out of print for so long, finding new books is always minor miracle territory.

Found a Races of Dragon last week, was very happy, DM is very jealous :D

Invest in preform signing, and take 2 lower impact flaws (I like Vulnerable and Shaky myself.).

Pick up the following feats. Jack of All Trades/Open Minded (It's the one form complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel that lets you make checks on all skills untrained, even if normally they'd be trained only.) Melodic Casting, Song of the Heart, Lingering Song, Words of Power. There is another feat in I believe complete Adventurer Called Subsonics. Ask the DM if taking it would allow you to use Bardic Music effects silently. If so, grab it. Otherwise, don't bother.

There is an item (I'm posting away form my own books so sorry for not having the name off the top of my head.) In the magic item compendium. It gives you the ability to raise Inspire Courage bonuses by +1. Grab 2 of them.

Also in the magic item compendium, there is something called Momento Magica. There kinda like Pearls of Power for spontaneous casters. Get at least 4 of them.

While your doing this, Grab the Bardic Knack alternative class feature form Players Handbook 2.

Finally, pick up the spell Inspirational Boost. It's a first level spell in the spell compendium.

With all of that, you can turn out, depending on how your DM rules the various upgrades to Inspire Courage interact with Words of Power, you can spend a standard action at the start of combat to drop anywhere from a +6 to a +8 to hit and damage, for the whole party on all melee and ranged weapon attacks, for the next ten rounds. And after that first turn, you can still join in the fighting and benefit form that buff, either slinging spells or attacking with weapons. Those bonuses, incidentally, as you take levels in Bard, will increase by increments of +2 every time inspire courage goes up. Even at a start of +6, for the Paladin and Druid and the Druids companion and summons, that offsets the attack penalty for Multy Attacking to use more then 1 Naturel Weapon in a round, and provides a bonus that makes up for not having weapons Focus and Haste active, which game math was built to assume you'd always have, AND gives 2 points to sink into Power Attacking. And adds extra damage to all those natural attacks on top of that to make them really hurt when they hit.

As an added benefit, you now can make and get a bonus outside of ability score mods a check in any skill, untrained but otherwise with out penalty and again, with a scaling bonus. Between that and high Int and Bard/Fey hit dice skill ranks and class skills, that should give you plenty to do outside of combat. AND you have some casting to help with in and out of combat options. If Subsonics works out, you can also buff while being sneaky.

TypoNinja
2016-12-16, 10:25 PM
Invest in preform signing, and take 2 lower impact flaws (I like Vulnerable and Shaky myself.).

Pick up the following feats. Jack of All Trades/Open Minded (It's the one form complete Adventurer or Complete Scoundrel that lets you make checks on all skills untrained, even if normally they'd be trained only.) Melodic Casting, Song of the Heart, Lingering Song, Words of Power. There is another feat in I believe complete Adventurer Called Subsonics. Ask the DM if taking it would allow you to use Bardic Music effects silently. If so, grab it. Otherwise, don't bother.

There is an item (I'm posting away form my own books so sorry for not having the name off the top of my head.) In the magic item compendium. It gives you the ability to raise Inspire Courage bonuses by +1. Grab 2 of them.

Also in the magic item compendium, there is something called Momento Magica. There kinda like Pearls of Power for spontaneous casters. Get at least 4 of them.

While your doing this, Grab the Bardic Knack alternative class feature form Players Handbook 2.

Finally, pick up the spell Inspirational Boost. It's a first level spell in the spell compendium.

With all of that, you can turn out, depending on how your DM rules the various upgrades to Inspire Courage interact with Words of Power, you can spend a standard action at the start of combat to drop anywhere from a +6 to a +8 to hit and damage, for the whole party on all melee and ranged weapon attacks, for the next ten rounds. And after that first turn, you can still join in the fighting and benefit form that buff, either slinging spells or attacking with weapons. Those bonuses, incidentally, as you take levels in Bard, will increase by increments of +2 every time inspire courage goes up. Even at a start of +6, for the Paladin and Druid and the Druids companion and summons, that offsets the attack penalty for Multy Attacking to use more then 1 Naturel Weapon in a round, and provides a bonus that makes up for not having weapons Focus and Haste active, which game math was built to assume you'd always have, AND gives 2 points to sink into Power Attacking. And adds extra damage to all those natural attacks on top of that to make them really hurt when they hit.

As an added benefit, you now can make and get a bonus outside of ability score mods a check in any skill, untrained but otherwise with out penalty and again, with a scaling bonus. Between that and high Int and Bard/Fey hit dice skill ranks and class skills, that should give you plenty to do outside of combat. AND you have some casting to help with in and out of combat options. If Subsonics works out, you can also buff while being sneaky.

I like it alot, in fact if you'd told me this two weeks ago, before the game started I'd do it.

Buuuut its a game in progress and I'm already into my feats. My next free feat is 6th level, and while I don't mind retraining 1 or 2 feats, I'm afraid my DM would make frowny faces at me if I redid the whole thing.

I've already got a crap ton of skill points as a fey (6+int) and a high int, can I do without the jack of all trades stuff?

How many feats are "this is nice" and "This is necessary"?

I'm strongly considering Druid/Bard to Arcane Hierophant at this point, If I can squeeze in the party buffing that'd be awesome, because cheese that party buffs is generally more well received than cheese that turns you into a one man show.

Metahuman1
2016-12-18, 12:05 AM
True, Fey get a chunk of skills and so do Bards and you've likely room to Prioritize Int, particularly if you take Keen Intellect or Force of Personality and don't invest heavy in Druid. (Keen Intellect makes will saves and most Wis based skill checks Int based. Force of personality makes Will saves Cha based.).

The bardic knack/Jack of All Trades suggestion was designed to just leave you more room to prioritize picking up skills that reward being maxed out while leaving other skills that might come in handy but don't often need to be maxed out (Swim, certain none creature related knowledge skills, depending on exact circumstances even the creature related knowledge skills, Jump, Balance, ext.) covered.

That all said, if you have the players handbook 2, ask the DM if in a few levels the party can visit the gates of Dawn and see if you can rework feats or levels at that time. Tell him what your planning and explain it would boost the party as much as if not more than yourself. If your up front and give him time to plan and show him an officially published option, he's more likely to work with you on it.