PDA

View Full Version : New Feat: Born Performer PEACH

A Gray Phantom
2007-07-16, 02:45 AM
You were born to take center stage! Entertaining others comes as naturally to you as breathing! These skills stick with you no matter what profession you choose, and have helped you get out of some sticky situations (though often times they got you there in the first place).

Benefit: Perform, sleight of hand, and tumble are permanently in-class skills for you.

Requirements: This feat MUST be take at first level.

\^.^/ Please tell me if this seems too broken. If so, do you think that being human should be added to the requirements?

Kyace
2007-07-16, 02:54 AM
Strictly speaking, any class with the skill points to spent on perform and sleight of hand get them as class skills. The only real time I could imagine this used for is multiclassing bards, in which case Able Learner (which allows you to buy cross-class skills at 1 class point) would be better. The max ranks for any skills that was at any time a class skill is 3+HD, so if you take a level of bard with Able Learner then multiclass into another class, you could still buy ranks at 1 skill point per rank every level.

If you are dead set on the feat Born Performer, I'd say its a bit weak so might even wave the first level only part, otherwise Able Learner beats this by allowing you to buy all skills at class skill price.

DracoDei
2007-07-16, 03:02 AM
The rumors I hear is that Tumble can get pretty cheesy... might be worth it for that alone for wizards and especially sorcerers.

DracoDei
2007-07-16, 03:23 AM
The rumors I hear is that Tumble can get pretty cheesy... might be worth it for that alone for wizards and especially sorcerers.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-16, 06:07 AM
Is there an echo in here?

On a more serious note, I agree that this feat is quite underpowered. For flavor reasons, I'd keep the 1st-level-only restriction, but this needs to be augmented in other areas. Perhaps adding other skills, like Disguise or Forgery?

A Gray Phantom
2007-07-16, 07:18 PM
Is there an echo in here?

On a more serious note, I agree that this feat is quite underpowered. For flavor reasons, I'd keep the 1st-level-only restriction, but this needs to be augmented in other areas. Perhaps adding other skills, like Disguise or Forgery?

I picked sleight of hand and tumble since they are skills that can be used to entertain (like performance). I don't see how you can entertain anyone with forgery...

"Behold, ladies and gentlemen! A perfect fake ID! Now Billy and Jillian can buy booze without being shook down by the local authorities! Huzzah!"

I suppose that disguise might be available, if there was a way to use it to entertain others. Maybe if it involved costuming :sabine:.

It could be reasoned that balance and escape artist could be used to entertain crowds. What do ya'll think?

:elan: Benefits: Balance, escape artist, perform, sleight of hand, and tumble permanently become class skills for you.

Does that seem better? Or does this feat still seem underpowered? I'm surprised, actually. I was worried that this feat was too powerful :smallbiggrin:.
On the other hand, this "able learner" feat sounds appealing. What book is it found in?

Okay, the reason that I invented this feat was for the benefit of one character in particular. Julius Henry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groucho_Marx), the Laughing Paladin :smallbiggrin:!

:elan: Since his meek childhood, Julius has always been a joker. Ever able to bring laughter to others, there was never a dull moment :smallcool:. Yet the cheerful prankster felt he had more to offer the world than just simple musings, and so gave his devotion to the local clergy. He became a squire of a brave (albeit green) hero :roy:.

In search of notoriety and prestige, the hero went to a far away land to fulfill a hero's prophecy. Julius followed. Things didn't go according to plan, though, and, long story short, Julius ended up fulfilling the prophecy :smalleek:.

Julius was declared a paladin. At first he was resistant to his new destiny. "But, I thought I was a comedian! The gods must be playing a joke on me :eek:!" Eventually Julius Henry embraced his fate, and decided to break the undeserved stereotype of paladins be staunchy, humorless jerks with sticks up their asses :miko:.

Sleight of hand can come in handy if you ever want to disarm an opponent without them noticing, thus, avoiding a messy power struggle against a careless and evil opponent.
Tumble can come in handy if you want to dodge under a crowd of reckless gangsters.

Do ya'll think this feat is still underpowered, even with 'balance' and possibly 'escape artist' added on?

Macrovore
2007-07-17, 10:44 AM
so, I can be a wiz8/loremaster1/druid1 with a Ring of Evasion and qualify for Focluchan Lyrist? Awesome.

A Gray Phantom
2007-07-17, 01:11 PM
so, I can be a wiz8/loremaster1/druid1 with a Ring of Evasion and qualify for Focluchan Lyrist? Awesome.

Exactly! Fochlucan Lyrist is usually a tough prestige to get into, since it requires so much multiclassing. With this feat, you can continue progressing as an entertainer, thus fulfilling the quota only multiclassing would've provided.

Using this method, I managed to build a bard 2, fighter 5, exotic weapon master 3 (Complete Warrior), and cloaked dancer 5.

Cloaked dancer is a prestige found in Complete Scoundrel, that isn't too hard to get into: Hide 5 ranks, Dance 10 ranks, and sleight of hand 5 ranks. Taking Born Performer allows me to continue working towards different presige classes that involve either dexterity or charisma, while participating in the more magic or martial oriented classes. (eg, fighter :roy:, paladin :miko:, cleric :durkon:, etc.)

He-he-he... can you imagine any of those three would be like after taking this feat at first level?

Anyway, does anyone still think this feat is underpowered, even after adding 'balance' and possibly 'escape artist' to the mix?