PDA

View Full Version : Feat question

Dragonrider99
2016-12-11, 06:03 PM
Is there a feat for D&D 3.5 that combines paladin and cleric class levels for purpose of channel energy and spell casting? (So if I was a cleric 3 / paladin 5 I would be considered 8th for channel and spells known/per day and caster level)

Thanks

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-11, 06:56 PM
Sacred Outlaw (Drag357 86) stacks cleric + rogue; Sacred Performer (Drag 357 86) stacks cleric and bard. Initiate of Milil (CoV 31) stacks bard+cleric+paladin; Initiate of Nobanion (CoV 31) stacks druid+cleric+ranger; Initiate of Torm (CoV) stacks paladin+cleric+druid+ranger. I don't have anything saved that mentions stacking just clr+pal.

I think most folks take Prestige Paladin (UA 70) after some levels in Cleric as a way around this dilemma. Also, in 3.5, clerics have turning (or rebuking), they don't channel energy by default. Channeling is a PF thing.

You might check CoV, or the paladin class acts in Dragmag -- I may have missed such a feat if it was categorised as a paladin thing, rather than a cleric thing.

Dragonrider99
2016-12-12, 10:43 PM
Those feats listed don't really do what I need. The primary thing is the combined levels for spell casting. Treating paladin levels as cleric for spells known/per day etc. the other features are a minor concern, but not needed. Anything else that would work?

Telonius
2016-12-13, 12:20 AM
Prestige Paladin is the only thing I know of that would do what you're asking. If it were just a Cleric trying to get some of the other features (full BAB, smite) then the Fist of Raziel prestige class could do it. But nothing that I know of would let you combine Cleric and Paladin other than Prestige Paladin.

For that matter, there aren't any feats that grant advanced spellcasting to two classes in the way you're describing. Anything that advances spellcasting of two classes is going to be a prestige class feature, not a feat. There would be literally no reason not to be a Paladin19/Cleric1 otherwise. It would be basically getting a gestalt character for the cost of a feat.

KillianHawkeye
2016-12-13, 11:57 AM
Yeah, outside of using Prestige Paladin or some other prestige class to emulate the Paladin aspect of the character, there just isn't any way to add their spellcasting levels together. Clerics and Paladins have entirely separate spell lists and spellcasting progressions; there's just no logical way to mash them together.

As for the turning, multiple classes with turning automatically stack under 3.5 rules. You just add your levels in Cleric to your Paladin's effective Cleric level (your class level minus 3) to get your total effective level for turning, although you have to have at least 4 levels in Paladin to enable their ability to Turn Undead first.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-13, 01:04 PM
As for the turning, multiple classes with turning automatically stack under 3.5 rules. You just add your levels in Cleric to your Paladin's effective Cleric level (your class level minus 3) to get your total effective level for turning, although you have to have at least 4 levels in Paladin to enable their ability to Turn Undead first.

Do you have a citation for that?

Telonius
2016-12-13, 02:18 PM
It's kind of tucked away in the "Multiclassing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/multiclass.htm)" section:

In the special case of turning undead, both clerics and experienced paladins have the same ability. If the character’s paladin level is 4th or higher, her effective turning level is her cleric level plus her paladin level minus 3.

Technically it only spells it out for just Cleric and Paladin, but Cleric and Paladin were the only sources of undead turning to begin with.

GilesTheCleric
2016-12-13, 02:28 PM
That makes sense. Thank you!

Dragonrider99
2016-12-14, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the replys and help :)