PDA

View Full Version : Which Half-Orc Pirate is cooler?

Ravinsild
2016-12-11, 09:29 PM
Option 1 I was considering:

Half-Orc Fighter 11/Barbarian 9 to emulate the "Frenzied Barbarian" path with the 11 levels in Fighter for 3 attacks for the same thing a Frenzied Barbarian gets but with many more bells and whistles including more ASI opportunities, a fighting style, a second wind, action surge and much more, alonside the Totemic (Or possibly Storm? from the UA) Barbarian of the Wolf for the advantage and all that wolf goodness. Also containing the unarmored AC, Rage, Reckless Attack, Fast Movement, Brutal Critical and even Feral Instinct.

This guy is an alert and keen sensed Pirate who is dangerous when he goes into a Rage. He will typically dual-wield two Sabers (Scimitar) because these are single-edged, usually thick or curved bladed swords, typically designed for slashing, chopping, severing limbs, tripping or broad sweeping techniques. Swordsmen were trained to use the dulled-side for defensive and blocking techniques. These are Light weapons which count for the bonus attack but are still used with Strength to count for Rage.

Or he may just use a greataxe and smash hard and fast like a Roegadyn pirate from Limsa Lominsa - always ready for a brawl. This guy is in your face and wants to crush you. Known as the Wolf of the Sea (due to his wolf barbarian rage) he is a feared and mighty pirate that wreaks havoc with tons of damage.

Option 2 I was considering:

Half-Orc Fighter 5/Rogue 15 and this guy doesn't make the most use of his racial stat allocations but what he lacks in direct boosts to Dexterity and so forth he makes up for in being a swaglord. This guy would get Extra Attack, Action Surge, Fighting Style, and Second Wind from fighter plus the ASI then goes Rogue in the Swashbuckler training deftly dual-wielding a Sabre and a Flintlock Pistol (Hand-Crossbow reflavored using all the same stats). Taking the Crossbow (Flintlock Pistol) Expert feat to shoot at point blank range and having the dual-wielding fighting training he would slash with his sabre then pop you with his gun just like an Orc Pirate Gangplank.

This guy is quick on his feet dashing and darting forward and backward in and out of the line of attack all while peppering his foes with bullets and sword slashes. He's basically the same guy as above but with a gun and a super cool fighting style.

Which incarnation is the coolest pirate? Giant-Axe (Dual-wielding Scimitars) Raging Orc Pirate or Deft/Quick Swashbuckler Sabre+Flintlock Pistol Orc Pirate?

Also do these builds in general suck? Is this a really bad idea for a really terrible character in general? I recognize the second option isn't as optimized via race but just in general is this how you'd split it to get a Frenzied barbarian (without the downsides) Half-Orc Pirate or a deft pistol shooting swashbuckler pirate sort of character? Or is there a much better way to do this?

WickerNipple
2016-12-11, 10:00 PM
Rogues are always cooler.

Ravinsild
2016-12-11, 10:05 PM
Rogues are always cooler.

So the Fighter 5/Rogue 15 is the way to go?

Draco4472
2016-12-11, 10:12 PM
I like the latter option, a Battlemaster 6/Swashbuckler 14 would be my preference though, and making sure to take the feat that grants you more maneuvers is something to keep in mind.

Ravinsild
2016-12-11, 10:14 PM
I like the latter option, a Battlemaster 6/Swashbuckler 14 would be my preference though, and making sure to take the feat that grants you more maneuvers is something to keep in mind.

Oh! What's special about Fighter 6 compared to 5? Just for understanding building the character better. Would I start Rogue 1 then go Fighter 6 then finish Rogue for life? This is going to be the coolest Half-Orc Pirate ever :D

CantigThimble
2016-12-11, 10:39 PM
Oh! What's special about Fighter 6 compared to 5? Just for understanding building the character better. Would I start Rogue 1 then go Fighter 6 then finish Rogue for life? This is going to be the coolest Half-Orc Pirate ever :D

Well, rogue 15 just gives you proficiency in wisdom saves while fighter 6 gives you an ASI, which you could spend on resilient: wisdom to get proficiency in wisdom saves AND +1 wis, or just get something completely different and forget about wisdom saves.

JAL_1138
2016-12-11, 10:53 PM
Whichever one knows Ray of Frost.

MustacheManny
2016-12-11, 10:55 PM
For me, I prefer the play style that the first option would offer. As a half orc you're making better use of your stats and an axe wielding pirate just sounds awesome! However, if you're not too worried about optimization (and I don't blame you, it's supposed to be for fun) then the rouge works too if you prefer that kind of character.

Spore
2016-12-11, 11:09 PM
Personally I love a touch of mystery and dark magic for pirates and thus I would prefer an Oathbreaker/Warlock. He has made a deal with his dark masters. He can keep all the worldly spoils and live until he is killed in sea combat. In return the master receives all the souls of his victims. If your campaign plays on land, here's the trick. The contract specifies sea combat so his master would free the pirate from his contract if he dies in land combat. Therefore the sea calls to him in his dreams. Large bodies of water makes him uneasy as his master could prey onto him there.

But alas, from your both builds I prefer the Rogue too. If the words "Orc" and "Barbarian" unite on any character sheet, it summons the allmighty cliche dragon making your fellow players unable to differentiate your character from "Hulk Smash". A fellow player of mine played a Samurai (Ronin) 9/Barbarian 2. If we were to categorize the guy ingame I don't think anybody would've used the terms of honorable eastern warrior but just maniacal bloodthirsty orc (that requires an almost farcical dueling tradition that lulls his enemy into thinking he has a chance while he has no chance against a character built of only duel combat).

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 08:51 AM
For me, I prefer the play style that the first option would offer. As a half orc you're making better use of your stats and an axe wielding pirate just sounds awesome! However, if you're not too worried about optimization (and I don't blame you, it's supposed to be for fun) then the rouge works too if you prefer that kind of character.

Well pirates did use axes to help them climb up the side of boats, cut ropes, chop people trying to board their ships and for general combat. They were also fairly large and useful tools on the ship too so an axe wielding pirate is totally awesome. How good are any of the UA Barbarian Paths and how efficient is 11 Fighter/9 Barbarian?

Waffle_Iron
2016-12-12, 09:09 AM
Every time someone asks about pirates my first thought is Barbarian / Rogue.
I've played one, and it was never boring.

It fit my expectations thematically, as well. Barbarians have the swagger, and can wear as little armor as they want. The rage feature plays pretty well with the idea of a gnarly, angry pirate. Rogue fits well with the thieving, sneaking about, and general overall underhandedness. Plus, everything is better with rogue levels.

It worked mechanically, too. Barbarian/rogue is a fairly common multiclass.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 10:19 AM
Every time someone asks about pirates my first thought is Barbarian / Rogue.
I've played one, and it was never boring.

It fit my expectations thematically, as well. Barbarians have the swagger, and can wear as little armor as they want. The rage feature plays pretty well with the idea of a gnarly, angry pirate. Rogue fits well with the thieving, sneaking about, and general overall underhandedness. Plus, everything is better with rogue levels.

It worked mechanically, too. Barbarian/rogue is a fairly common multiclass.

I assume it is played a strength Rogue? Really the first option is because I want to play the style of a Berserker Barbarian but without all the terrible downsides. Basically a safer, more consistent and overall better "Path of the Berserker" by going so deep into Fighter. Whether it's a dual-wielding Barbarian or a giant two-handed axe style Barbarian I just wanted him to cut loose and rage and do all the damage.

As for the second one I picked Fighter pretty much for the fighting style but I could swap out Fighter for Barbarian probably? The main point was a Cutlass in one hand and a Hand-Crossbow flavored as a Flintlock Pistol in the other for a cut and shoot playstyle with the cross-bow expert feat to shoot at point blank range. I assumed this one would just do standard Swashbuckler stuff (funnily enough without the "buckler" NO SHIELDS FOR THIS ORC)

Waffle_Iron
2016-12-12, 10:43 AM
I assume it is played a strength Rogue? Really the first option is because I want to play the style of a Berserker Barbarian but without all the terrible downsides. Basically a safer, more consistent and overall better "Path of the Berserker" by going so deep into Fighter. Whether it's a dual-wielding Barbarian or a giant two-handed axe style Barbarian I just wanted him to cut loose and rage and do all the damage.

As for the second one I picked Fighter pretty much for the fighting style but I could swap out Fighter for Barbarian probably? The main point was a Cutlass in one hand and a Hand-Crossbow flavored as a Flintlock Pistol in the other for a cut and shoot playstyle with the cross-bow expert feat to shoot at point blank range. I assumed this one would just do standard Swashbuckler stuff (funnily enough without the "buckler" NO SHIELDS FOR THIS ORC)

Strength rogue will work, yep. My expertise at rogue 1 was stealth and athletics. 1st level vuman feat was sentinel.
My main hand was scimitar (cutlass), and my off hand was a bag of tricks.
- a dagger, for second chances at sneak attack damage vs big beasties
- open hand, for grappling elites
- a whip, for reach/sentinel
- a shield, for AC vs mook mobs
- tactical pocket sand™, I went thief rogue and used fast hands liberally.

JellyPooga
2016-12-12, 10:49 AM
Strength rogue will work, yep. My expertise at rogue 1 was stealth and athletics. 1st level vuman feat was sentinel.
My main hand was scimitar (cutlass), and my off hand was a bag of tricks.
- a dagger, for second chances at sneak attack damage vs big beasties
- open hand, for grappling elites
- a whip, for reach/sentinel
- a shield, for AC vs mook mobs
- tactical pocket sand™, I went thief rogue and used fast hands liberally.

I've played pretty much this exact build (Half-orc instead of Human) and I never had a dull moment. I enjoyed having a good Charisma on the build too; doing the while "bare-chested manly pirate" thing.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 12:42 PM
So it looks like it comes down to three options:

Half-Orc Totem (Wolf) Barbarian/Battle Master Fight

Half-Orc Battle Master Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue

Half-Orc ??? Barbarian/Thief Rogue ?

Which build gives the most consistent round per round every day every encounter ever fight big damage? Or in MMO terms "Sustained DPS" every boss, every trash pull, every instance, outdoors, indoors just gives good solid dependable no gimmicks straight damage?

Burst damage is good when you need it too, but I think the safest bet is just reliable, safe, average decent damage so when the chips are down and you're all out of resources you know your build will pull through with safe dependable damage that doesn't rely on huge risks and if you miss it's a TPK or something.

N810
2016-12-12, 01:15 PM
Well I actually like the first one best. :thog:

(Half-Orc Fighter 11/Barbarian 9)

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 01:21 PM
Well I actually like the first one best. :thog:

(Half-Orc Fighter 11/Barbarian 9)

I think that's the one that takes the most advantage of the Half-Orc racial stat bumps but I think literally any melee build can make use of coming back to life at 1 hp instead of dying and extra critical dice.

I'm just not sure that's the best way to build a "Path of the Berserker" without actually building a Path of the Berserker Barbarian. It seemed the safest way to get 3 attacks without exhaustion and a lot more utility though.

N810
2016-12-12, 01:40 PM
I actually run a lvl 15 berserker Barbarian pirate, :thog:
and I think this looks rather decent
with the double scimitar build.

----------------------------------------------

Either that or run a great ax and
enough fighter levels to get a 3rd attack.
and the rest in barbarian.
Not sure how piratey it will be though.
(compared to the sword build)

----------------------------------------------

I suppose you could also add 1 level of rogue
for some sneaky backstabbing.

Waffle_Iron
2016-12-12, 01:48 PM
So it looks like it comes down to three options:

Half-Orc Totem (Wolf) Barbarian/Battle Master Fight

Half-Orc Battle Master Fighter/Swashbuckler Rogue

Half-Orc ??? Barbarian/Thief Rogue ?

Which build gives the most consistent round per round every day every encounter ever fight big damage? Or in MMO terms "Sustained DPS" every boss, every trash pull, every instance, outdoors, indoors just gives good solid dependable no gimmicks straight damage?

Burst damage is good when you need it too, but I think the safest bet is just reliable, safe, average decent damage so when the chips are down and you're all out of resources you know your build will pull through with safe dependable damage that doesn't rely on huge risks and if you miss it's a TPK or something.

My vote is for Barbarian (Wolf Totem) / Rogue (Thief). It's a blast. You will always have both an action and a bonus action, you'll always be doing solid damage, and when things get weird due to circumstances, you'll be the first to adapt.

Have fun!

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 01:52 PM
I actually run a berserker Barbarian pirate, :thog:
and I think this looks rather decent
with the double scimitar build.

Either that or run a great ax and
enough fighter levels to get a 3rd attack.
and the rest in barbarian.
Not sure how piratey it will be though.

Well his background is Sailor Variant: Pirate. He's known as the Wolf of the Sea because of the Totemic Rage: Wolf and his ship was called the Whitefang. He was betrayed by his 1st mate to a rival crew and they murdered his crew, his 1st mate joined the invading crew and he was made to walk the plank.

He survived the betrayal and washed up on a nearby coast. He's now starting out as an adventurer and his goal is to adventure to get rich enough to buy a new ship, convince his new "crew" (adventuring party) to join him and to go get his ship back from the bastards who stole it. All he wants is gain the strength to rebuild his fearsome reputation as the wolf of the sea.

I don't see why a Fighter/Barbarian couldn't be piratey with a backstory like that? Using two cutlass in either hand as Strength weapons and raging could provide a lot of damage. The point is: He's not concerned with anything more than making you dead, fast, and taking your loot to add to his horde until he can reclaim the seas as the nastiest pirate to ever live. AKA: Whatever provides the most DPR to make stuff die because the best defense is enough DPS to kill you before you can kill him :P

:D

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 01:54 PM
My vote is for Barbarian (Wolf Totem) / Rogue (Thief). It's a blast. You will always have both an action and a bonus action, you'll always be doing solid damage, and when things get weird due to circumstances, you'll be the first to adapt.

Have fun!

Just to be 100% sure: I can sneak attack using a Strength Scimitar because it meets the dual-wield criteria of being a "Light Weapon" and it meets the Sneak Attack criteria of being a "Finesse" weapon correct? You don't have to be a Dex Rogue to Sneak Attack?

So I get: Rage benefits and Rogue benefits despite being a STR based character? Also...gaining Racial stat bump benefits... so all the benefits?

N810
2016-12-12, 02:06 PM
lol I just meant the great ax build was slightly less piratey than the sword build.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 02:08 PM
lol I just meant the great ax build was slightly less piratey than the sword build.

Well I sort of take a lot of inspiration from the Marauders of FFXIV in Limsa Lominsa which are a race of giant green people called Roegadyn that make fierce pirates and sailors and a ton of them wield a giant axe with all kinds of pirate outfits so it seems fitting enough for me :D

N810
2016-12-12, 02:11 PM
I suppose you could always carry both.
and probably a bandoleer of hand crossbows as well.

Fine, a stack of javelins then (refluffed as harpoons.)

JellyPooga
2016-12-12, 02:13 PM
Just to be 100% sure: I can sneak attack using a Strength Scimitar because it meets the dual-wield criteria of being a "Light Weapon" and it meets the Sneak Attack criteria of being a "Finesse" weapon correct? You don't have to be a Dex Rogue to Sneak Attack?

So I get: Rage benefits and Rogue benefits despite being a STR based character? Also...gaining Racial stat bump benefits... so all the benefits?

Yup. Rage damage adds to off-hand damge too. It's all gravy on the Rogue/Barbarian train. Not only that, if you go Wolf Totem your party members will love all the more too. Once you hit Rogue 5, ypu are the tankiest tank that ever tanked too, due to Uncanny Dodge + Rage Resistance stacking.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 02:19 PM
Yup. Rage damage adds to off-hand damge too. It's all gravy on the Rogue/Barbarian train. Not only that, if you go Wolf Totem your party members will love all the more too. Once you hit Rogue 5, ypu are the tankiest tank that ever tanked too, due to Uncanny Dodge + Rage Resistance stacking.

Oh sweet! I wasn't sure of strength Rogue was a real thing or a gimmick but nothing implicitly says Rogues have to run on Dexterity to be viable...does it? Why would one not go Swashbuckler or Assassin Rogue over Thief Rogue though? Since the whole hand cross-bow thing doesn't work out so well being a dexterity weapon that can't benefit from rage or anything like that.

Also what are the splits? Start Barbarian dip into Rogue later? 14 barb/6 Rogue, 12 barb/8 Rogue, 5 Barb for Extra Attack/15 Rogue for...everything else?

Asmotherion
2016-12-12, 02:25 PM
I'd go Bear Totem Barbarian 9/Two-weapon Fighter 11. With your universal damage resistance (minus psychic damage, but as a pirate, the closest you are likelly to encounter to an Illithid are calamars and octapuces) you can reckless attack 6 times per turn with advantage, and scale the +3 dammage from your rage bonus on each of them for a total +18 damage at 6 hits. The alternative (dueling) only grands you +15 damage, and Great Weapon Fighting is less consistant than two weapon fighting. If you want a higher chance to profit from brutal critical, Champion might be for you... that said, I'd still think Battle Master fits better this build...

And, this is officially the first time I suggest a build with 0 spellcasting at all in this Forum. It feels a bit awkward. Might or might not also be the first time I don't put a Warlock Dip in my suggestions. O_O

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 03:30 PM
I'd go Bear Totem Barbarian 9/Two-weapon Fighter 11. With your universal damage resistance (minus psychic damage, but as a pirate, the closest you are likelly to encounter to an Illithid are calamars and octapuces) you can reckless attack 6 times per turn with advantage, and scale the +3 dammage from your rage bonus on each of them for a total +18 damage at 6 hits. The alternative (dueling) only grands you +15 damage, and Great Weapon Fighting is less consistant than two weapon fighting. If you want a higher chance to profit from brutal critical, Champion might be for you... that said, I'd still think Battle Master fits better this build...

And, this is officially the first time I suggest a build with 0 spellcasting at all in this Forum. It feels a bit awkward. Might or might not also be the first time I don't put a Warlock Dip in my suggestions. O_O

The power of the Half-orc Pirate Barbarian is just that cool :smallcool:

He would of course go by "Captain" and come complete with a Tricorn hat and an eye patch with a long scruffy black Half-Orc Beard and wild unkempt dreads. No pegs legs or hook hands though, he's got all his fingers and toes! Gnarly mottled green skin and looking a lot like this...but a green orc: http://imgur.com/a1TLD4c

N810
2016-12-12, 03:37 PM
Pic of my Pirate Barbarianhttps://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/15391337_10154848738171096_1522796507538821152_o.j pg?efg=eyJpIjoiYiJ9&oh=2ed5f3c0e9028932590535ed106e9d46&oe=58B750AC

JellyPooga
2016-12-12, 03:41 PM
Oh sweet! I wasn't sure of strength Rogue was a real thing or a gimmick but nothing implicitly says Rogues have to run on Dexterity to be viable...does it? Why would one not go Swashbuckler or Assassin Rogue over Thief Rogue though? Since the whole hand cross-bow thing doesn't work out so well being a dexterity weapon that can't benefit from rage or anything like that.

Also what are the splits? Start Barbarian dip into Rogue later? 14 barb/6 Rogue, 12 barb/8 Rogue, 5 Barb for Extra Attack/15 Rogue for...everything else?

Nothing about Rogue requires Dex, per se; MCing Barbarian gives you medium armour, so Dex 14 is all you'll really need.

The advantage of Thief is the Use an Object as Bonus Action; flip tables, slam doors, upend chairs, throw grapnel lines, steer a ship, swig ale...all the really Piraty things you want to do...do them as well as breaking heads. Swashbuckler is more of a skirmisher than a tank and Assassin is far too sneaky and deceptive. For a real pirate Rogue, go Thief.

Start Barbarian at level 1, go Rogue 3 for the archetype, then Barbarian 5 for Extra Attack. Follow that with bumping Rogue to 5th for Uncanny Dodge. After that, the choice is yours, but I recommend takinf more Rogue than Barbarian. Rogue 13/Barbarian might seem counterintuitive because you "lose out" on ASI's, but the Class Features you get from it are more than worth the "sacrifice".

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 03:47 PM
Nothing about Rogue requires Dex, per se; MCing Barbarian gives you medium armour, so Dex 14 is all you'll really need.

The advantage of Thief is the Use an Object as Bonus Action; flip tables, slam doors, upend chairs, throw grapnel lines, steer a ship, swig ale...all the really Piraty things you want to do...do them as well as breaking heads. Swashbuckler is more of a skirmisher than a tank and Assassin is far too sneaky and deceptive. For a real pirate Rogue, go Thief.

Start Barbarian at level 1, go Rogue 3 for the archetype, then Barbarian 5 for Extra Attack. Follow that with bumping Rogue to 5th for Uncanny Dodge. After that, the choice is yours, but I recommend takinf more Rogue than Barbarian. Rogue 13/Barbarian might seem counterintuitive because you "lose out" on ASI's, but the Class Features you get from it are more than worth the "sacrifice".

Ah interesting! I wasn't actually thinking in terms of "tank" more-so than...how do you say Tanky-DPS, or Bruiser? Something like from many video games: Retribution Paladin or Unholy Death Knight, Dr. Mundo, Shyvana, Cho'gath, Udyr, Arthas, Sonya, Zarya, Artanis, Stamina Dragon Knight and so on - primarily a DPR/Striker/Damage Dealer through and through with a bit more toughness but by no means attempting to be a tank or focus attention or otherwise try and be a soaking type character.

So it would end up Thief Rogue 13/Totemic Barbarian 7....that seems good to me :D

I've been weighing the pros and cons a bit more as 13 Thief might go completely unused - I don't know if my DM is even running magical items or loot at all. We don't start until after Christmas (which is when all the adventure like Strahd, Against the Giants, Out of the Abyss, Princes of the Apocalypse and so forth we ordered him are coming in) so I could ask about that.

12/8 would be an extra ASI....11/9 would be 1 ASI less (still 5) but gain Brutal Critical 13/7 gives 7d6 Sneak Attack and the 13th level Thief Feature which could be great or totally worthless... so it's basically Brutical Critical and 5 ASI, 6 ASI no brutal critical or Rogue Archetype, 7d6 Sneak Attack and just Feral Instinct which is still 5 ASI I think...

How valuable is an extra d6 sneak attack (7d6 vs 6d6), a Rogue Archetype feature (13th level) , a brutial critical (9th level) and an ASI (12th level Rogue...8th level Barb..) in general? I have no way to compare or know their value against one another :(

Asmotherion
2016-12-12, 04:42 PM
The power of the Half-orc Pirate Barbarian is just that cool :smallcool:

He would of course go by "Captain" and come complete with a Tricorn hat and an eye patch with a long scruffy black Half-Orc Beard and wild unkempt dreads. No pegs legs or hook hands though, he's got all his fingers and toes! Gnarly mottled green skin and looking a lot like this...but a green orc: http://imgur.com/a1TLD4c

I was picturing him more like a Viking in my mind to be honest :P

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 04:47 PM
I was picturing him more like a Viking in my mind to be honest :P

I had a heavy influence of Captain Bane from Black Sails, my Roegadyn Warrior from FFXIV (He was that human but I race changed), Gangplank from League of Legends and a couple other influences plus just an Orc Sailor from the Warcraft 2 days with the Bandana and all that.

It's really hard to choose between the Fighter 11 (Two-Weapon? Great Weapon or Dual-Wielding (two weapons or two-handed?) / 9 Barbarian (That feels more Frenzy Barbarian to me but it'll take forever to get 3 attacks unless I go straight Frenzy path which I've read is a terrible idea) or Barbarian/Rogue.

Since there's only going to be 3 players and 1 DM we are encouraged to make two characters so I was going to run that Sorcerer/Gish I posted about (Aramil Soveliss) and one other. I've been trying to get a feel between a Ranger, Barbarian, Rogue and Fighter. I like melee DPS and hitting stuff hard but sustained. I'm not a fan of blow your load in 1 go Paladin type stuff. I'd rather just hit really hard every turn forever. That seems the "safest" way to play a DPS in most games I've found...in PvE anyway. D&D isn't a pvp game :P

Asmotherion
2016-12-12, 05:00 PM
I had a heavy influence of Captain Bane from Black Sails, my Roegadyn Warrior from FFXIV (He was that human but I race changed), Gangplank from League of Legends and a couple other influences plus just an Orc Sailor from the Warcraft 2 days with the Bandana and all that.

It's really hard to choose between the Fighter 11 (Two-Weapon? Great Weapon or Dual-Wielding (two weapons or two-handed?) / 9 Barbarian (That feels more Frenzy Barbarian to me but it'll take forever to get 3 attacks unless I go straight Frenzy path which I've read is a terrible idea) or Barbarian/Rogue.

Since there's only going to be 3 players and 1 DM we are encouraged to make two characters so I was going to run that Sorcerer/Gish I posted about (Aramil Soveliss) and one other. I've been trying to get a feel between a Ranger, Barbarian, Rogue and Fighter. I like melee DPS and hitting stuff hard but sustained. I'm not a fan of blow your load in 1 go Paladin type stuff. I'd rather just hit really hard every turn forever. That seems the "safest" way to play a DPS in most games I've found...in PvE anyway. D&D isn't a pvp game :P

With two-weapon Fighting you have 4 attacks by level 5 :P Then, you just need a bit of pacience to get your 3rd attack.

I'd build this as Barb 1/Fighter 5/Barb 8/Fighter 6 or something.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 05:06 PM
With two-weapon Fighting you have 4 attacks by level 5 :P Then, you just need a bit of pacience to get your 3rd attack.

I'd build this as Barb 1/Fighter 5/Barb 8/Fighter 6 or something.

I'm super tempted to just scrap Aramil for another day and run two Half-Orcs. One a Barb/Fighter and one a Barb/Rogue...my favorite class is Barbarian and my favorite race is Half-Orc with Goliath being a close second lol.

Ravinsild
2016-12-13, 04:17 AM
Quick question: How good is the Path of the Storm Herald (sea) for a damage focused Barbarian compared to the Totem Warrior?

It seems more thematic... being a lightning storm pirate of the sea... however i am uncertain how competitive it is in general.

Thoughts as a Damage Dealer option?

ST By Night
2016-12-13, 05:07 AM
Option 1 I guess, but I think a pure Fighter or pure Barbarian would have the most cool points.

Ravinsild
2016-12-13, 05:10 AM
Option 1 I guess, but I think a pure Fighter or pure Barbarian would have the most cool points.

I figured the best way to build a Damage Dealer focused Barbarian was to take some levels in Fighter and get 3 attacks plus all the utility of the Battle Master and all the nice buffs from Totem Warrior (Or Storm Herald?) and not have to worry about the exhaustion from Frenzy.

Was this an incorrect thought process?