PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Monitor problems

Morty
2016-12-12, 08:56 AM
A while ago, I asked for advice about a new computer in a thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502663-Computer-Recommendation-Request) Since then, I've managed to purchase all the parts recommended, and put them together (with a lot of help from other people). But I ran into an obstacle when trying to actually turn it on. When I do, it doesn't connect with the monitor - it lights up, but then it says "no signal". It doesn't look like a problem with the monitor, since when I plug it into my laptop, it transfers the screen just fine. What might be the issue?

Keltest
2016-12-12, 09:24 AM
Are you plugging it into a port on your main board or on a video card? If its on a video card, check to make sure that the card is fully installed on the main board. That's what was wrong with mine when I first built this computer.

Morty
2016-12-12, 09:32 AM
I was plugging it into the main board.

Gray Mage
2016-12-12, 09:33 AM
Besides just checking if the plug is in the graphics card's slot, it must have come with an instalation CD as well. Make sure that it's on your DVD/CD reader in order for it to be installed correctly.
One last thing, some cards require you to plug them before turning the computer on, so if you turned it on in the incorrect slot and changed without turning it off again it won't turn the monitor on until you turn the pc off and on again.

Keltest
2016-12-12, 10:01 AM
I was plugging it into the main board.

Hmm. Well, you could try plugging it into a video card if you have one, or try using a different kind of cable? What kind are you using, anyway?

Morty
2016-12-12, 10:11 AM
Well, the problem seems to be fixed. Apparently, the issue was with RAM - it wasn't inserted correctly and didn't work.

Keltest
2016-12-12, 10:17 AM
Well, the problem seems to be fixed. Apparently, the issue was with RAM - it wasn't inserted correctly and didn't work.

Yeah, that would do it.