PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Tool: Perform (Singing)

SangoProduction
2016-12-12, 03:34 PM
Can someone come up with a masterwork tool for Perform (Singing)? I think grafts may be a tad bit...overreaching for the price point of tools.

Deadline
2016-12-12, 03:39 PM
I can't think of one off the top of my head that wouldn't require the use of one of your hands (singing is often chosen as a Bard's perform skill because it leaves the hands free). But if that's not a concern, then an old fashioned style megaphone could work.

Troacctid
2016-12-12, 03:46 PM
A megaphone amplifies your voice, but it also distorts it. A microphone would be better.

Deadline
2016-12-12, 03:48 PM
A megaphone amplifies your voice, but it also distorts it. A microphone would be better.

Yes, but we are talking about masterwork items you might find in a D&D setting. You'd be hard pressed to do a microphone without magic (at which point you can give yourself a much bigger perform check bonus than the +2).

lylsyly
2016-12-12, 03:50 PM
Check out the spell "Battlecry" in Complete Mage. Refluff the creation of a Wand of Battlecry into an Amulet or whatever.

Troacctid
2016-12-12, 03:51 PM
I don't think you're going to find a megaphone that improves your singing. Sure, maybe it increases the volume, but certainly not the quality. If anything, it would probably reduce the quality.

Telonius
2016-12-12, 03:53 PM
I'd guess that a Perform (Sing) focused Bard would have pretty good relative pitch. I'd allow a tuning fork (or something similar) to get you started on the right key to give a +2 circumstance bonus.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-12, 03:57 PM
I seem to recall reading some time ago about a certain type of very tall, stiff shirt collar that you wear around your neck which is open at the front which helps project your voice in that direction. They use it in opera to prevent interference from the soundwaves bouncing off of things in other directions that might distort it.

Is this a thing, or am I hallucinating again?

SangoProduction
I might be a bit rusty on my olden knowledge(antiques), but did singers ever use special corsets, or is that just something I made up? For some reason, I'm thinking that it was some... thing used to straighten the back.

exelsisxax
Check out the spell "Battlecry" in Complete Mage. Refluff the creation of a Wand of Battlecry into an Amulet or whatever.

Magic isn't masterwork. That's running up a lot more than a 50g pricetag.

There is no mundane implement that can enhance that attempt during the song. However, like finding out a noble's genealogy beforehand might be advantageous in negotiations, the voice could be temporarily enhanced by mundane means. This seems to only make sense for consumables, mostly things to drink that might let vocal cords reach slightly wider octaves, enhance volume, or maybe just let you breath easier. Longer-term, some sort of device to train the voice to be louder and more precise(mouth marbles? tongue restrictor?) that lends advantage at a later date.

Troacctid
I'd guess that a Perform (Sing) focused Bard would have pretty good relative pitch. I'd allow a tuning fork (or something similar) to get you started on the right key to give a +2 circumstance bonus.
That would be a pitch pipe.

Vogie
2016-12-12, 03:59 PM
Can someone come up with a masterwork tool for Perform (Singing)? I think grafts may be a tad bit...overreaching for the price point of tools.

A helmet or gauntlet that acts as a megaphone somehow?
Perhaps a mug or glass that imbues tea with energy that gives a temporary boost?

SangoProduction
2016-12-12, 04:02 PM
A helmet or gauntlet that acts as a megaphone somehow?
Perhaps a mug or glass that imbues tea with energy that gives a temporary boost?

Oh. I like the concept. The masterwork mug. It allows such smooth pouring of tea, as to ease any aching throat. lol.

There is no mundane implement that can enhance that attempt during the song. However, like finding out a noble's genealogy beforehand might be advantageous in negotiations, the voice could be temporarily enhanced by mundane means. This seems to only make sense for consumables, mostly things to drink that might let vocal cords reach slightly wider octaves, enhance volume, or maybe just let you breath easier. Longer-term, some sort of device to train the voice to be louder and more precise(mouth marbles? tongue restrictor?) that lends advantage at a later date.
Makes sense.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-12-12, 04:03 PM
Borrowing some suggestions from Zaq's Truenamer guide...

The aforementioned megaphone is plausible, if you don't think too hard about it
A book of music, perhaps
A bunch of soothing tea for overstressed vocal chords; probably with limited charges, like the healer's kit
”A tool! What do you mean, what kind of tool? A masterwork one! It's written right here on my sheet, c'mon.”

Mehangel
2016-12-12, 05:32 PM
I was also going to recommend either a tuning fork or metronome.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-12-12, 05:40 PM
You spent 50 gp on having your sinuses stress-proofed by the Finch-Jostler, that's what!

Tuning instruments are good, and anything consumable (cough drops or something) could easily be ruled like a component pouch - fixed price for infinite supplies, as long as you don't try the chicken-infested trick.

John Longarrow
2016-12-12, 06:29 PM
IIRC, in antiquity the masks worn by performers were designed with built in megaphones to allow a broader range of volumes to be projected along with the ability to strategically distort the wearers voice when doing "Stage whisper" and such. At the least such a piece of costume would allow the singer to more easily get into character for a performance, much as donning wig, glasses and sequenced jumpsuit can help one fall into an Elvis persona.

Jowgen
2016-12-12, 06:44 PM
Speaker's Trumpet (Dragon 339 p. 42) and the Ventriloquist's Mouthpice (Drag Comp p. 143) are both mouth-worn items with utility for bards. Fluffling either of them to also include a mundane masterwork perform (sing) element seems reasonable in my book (e.g. a bit of perpetual alchemy-based menthol production built in to keep the voice fresh)

In the same vein, the Choker of Eloquence (A&E p. 131, though I'm pretty sure it got updated to the right price later) might be master-worked; perhaps as a scarf-type function designed to protect and thermo-insulate the singer's throat so that their vocal cords don't cool down too much between performances (i.e. reduce the lack for warm ups).

DrMotives
2016-12-13, 12:24 AM
The pitch pipe was my first thought, someone already beat me to it. Also, Greek drama masks had large mouths because they functioned as megaphones you could wear on your face, although theatre masks (from many different cultures) would also work well for perform (acting) as well.

inuyasha
2016-12-13, 12:20 PM
I second the book of music idea from Grod, that's how I handle a lot of skills that I can't think of a proper tool for.

Falcii
2016-12-13, 12:50 PM
Hi, voice major here. If you are worried about a +2 bonus I'm guessing you are still early enough in your career that you could justify still using learning tools. Some of the ones I use in my lessons are just plain old elastic bands and clothes pins.
Elastic Bands worn around the midsection help slightly resist the expansion of your diaphragm and force you to think about that breathing. While practicing it is good way to make sure you keep your breaths stable low and strong.
Clothes Pins (while used far less frequently) help keep your sound aligned in the right part of your face. When you feel the buzz (on non N or M consonants) it means you need to think taller about your sound. It's mostly for building up good habits.

Hope either of those work for you.

Ashtagon
2016-12-13, 01:25 PM
Personally, I am off the opinion that there is no such thing as a masterwork tool that works for every task related to a particular skill. In the case of some skills, I'm not sure a masterwork tool can or should exist.

That said...

Amplifiers
Megaphones (or the acoustic, non-electrical variety) were invented in the 17th century. Key to the functioning of a megaphone is the shape; it works on essentially the same principles as a horn or trumpet. As a trade-off, it creates a very distinctive distortion on the human voice. It's probably not the tool of choice for this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FXWEYJwMhs) kind of song.

Ancient Greek style theatrical masks: These would not have any effect regarding voice amplification. The mouth shape and acoustic design is simply wrong to allow for that to happen. The wide open mouth of the masks does at least ensure there is no penalty though. One thing the ancient Greeks DID get right regarding voice amplification though, was the design of their theatres. The classic circular (or half-circle) ampitheatre with solid (not modern bleacher-style) seating has incredibly good acoustics. However, that's more of a terrain feature than an implement.

Tall, stiff, collared shirt: These, or something (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERD4CbBDNI0) similar, are certainly a thing that exists. However, they aren't really so much a voice projection implement as traditional formal operatic attire. I've not seen anything to suggest that any kind of restrictive clothing would help; if anything, loose comfortable clothing would be better, to avoid restricting chest/lung movement.

Special corsets for singing: haha nope. If such a concept was ever tried, it would quite obviously fail. Restricted breathing = singing fail.

Throat Protection

As noted here (http://www.singingforaliving.com/articles/pro-secrets/), good singers will routinely keep their throat protected, inside and out. A scarf, lightweight silk for summer and warm woollen for winter, will help protect the voice from external temperature changes. If there is a single universal +2 to singing tool, this is probably it. I'd probably still make it climate-specific though (silk scarves won't do much to keep your throat warm in winter, nor will woollen scarves help in summer).

Consumables
Various teas, lozenges etc.: Many sore throat medicines today include eucalyptus oil, and it's conceivable that homologous substances would have similar helpful effects. Like the misters below, it isn't something you can reasonably consume during the production.

Vapourisers/misters/humidifers: These are in actual use (http://www.singingforaliving.com/articles/pro-secrets/) by people with allergies. Portable version are also used by professional singers. Although the mister itself is a physical object, it does consume water. However, it is not something that is used during the production.

Training/Prep Tools

Tuning Fork, pitch pipe, metronome etc.: Almost plausible, except for the issue that it is not something you use in the process of producing the music. It is a training tool rather than a production tool.

Mouth marbles, tongue restrictors, etc.: The concept here seems to be to train the person to be able to speak around these, encouraging them to habitually open their mouths wider, enunciate more clearly, and so on, so that when they don't have these handicapping tools in use, they end up that much better (kind of like how a long-distance runner might practice running while carrying weights). The theory as it applies to voice seems dubious to me, and it certainly isn't something to use during an actual production.

Book of music: As a book of general principle, it's a study tool, not a production tool. I suppose if it is sheet music for a specific song of specific set of songs, it would give a bonus if you are using the written music as an aid (rather than working solely by memory). I'd let it count a bonus for a specific type of song. You may want a music stand, or someone to hold up your music book and turn the pages.

Segev
2016-12-13, 01:35 PM
If you want to get particularly fantastic about it, you could claim to have a set of bells strewn about your torso and throat that are precisely tuned to resonate with particular tones, so that those tones get amplified and harmonized when you hit them while singing. Either some form of accompaniment, or even a fantasy-primitive form of auto-tune.

Jay R
2016-12-13, 01:45 PM
A harp or lyre. Singing with musical accompaniment has advantages over an a capella performance.

In fact, I'm told that there's a period example. When the newer Irish bards started using harps, the old bards who didn't play had a serious drawback to overcome. [Story unguaranteed. I was told this by a friend, but never checked her source.]

I would allow a +2 circumstance bonus without much skill - just the ability to play background chords. I might allow a successful Perform(harp) check to Aid the singing. Note that the harp doesn't have to be played by the singer, just by somebody who knows the song.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-13, 02:08 PM
With Dragonfire Inspiration, you'll be singing Lyre, lyre, pants on fire!

...and it'll work.

Telonius
2016-12-13, 04:07 PM
A harp or lyre. Singing with musical accompaniment has advantages over an a capella performance.

In fact, I'm told that there's a period example. When the newer Irish bards started using harps, the old bards who didn't play had a serious drawback to overcome. [Story unguaranteed. I was told this by a friend, but never checked her source.]

I would allow a +2 circumstance bonus without much skill - just the ability to play background chords. I might allow a successful Perform(harp) check to Aid the singing. Note that the harp doesn't have to be played by the singer, just by somebody who knows the song.

I think that would be covered under Aid Another, if somebody else is doing the playing. If you're doing both at the same time, it would probably be a reasonable house rule to allow it. I might make the Versatile Performer feat do something else though, since getting a +2 while using more than one perform is one of the two big things that it does.

Mr Adventurer
2016-12-14, 06:34 AM
Mechanical music box provides automatic accompaniment

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-14, 07:18 AM
A book of rare but very well written song lyrics that the person can study daily, coming up with new songs for the day thus keeping the songs fresh and original.

Jay R
2016-12-14, 12:12 PM
I think that would be covered under Aid Another, if somebody else is doing the playing. If you're doing both at the same time, it would probably be a reasonable house rule to allow it. I might make the Versatile Performer feat do something else though, since getting a +2 while using more than one perform is one of the two big things that it does.

Of course it would. That's why I listed it as a separate action from playing background chords on a masterwork harp.

Jowgen
2016-12-14, 03:50 PM
I've though about it and now think that a simple clockwork device that produces an audible beat or rhythm for the performer to sing to is viable after all. In my mind, it has a little piece of thunderstone in it that gets lightly struck by a tiny hammer to produce enough volume.

It's definetly a masterwork item (because gears), and a +2 bonus is small enough that I think it can be explained by the devices beat helping the performer keep the tempo, while also providing some simply rhythmic accompaniment to ever so slightly enhance the performance.

D.M.Hentchel
2016-12-14, 04:56 PM
I mean we are still talking about a performance, so presumably an outfit could qualify as tool.

I mean no dancer would be complete without their outfit.

Maybe like a stage set?

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-15, 11:39 AM
I mean we are still talking about a performance, so presumably an outfit could qualify as tool.

I mean no dancer would be complete without their outfit.

Maybe like a stage set?

What would such an outfit look like you might ask?

https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/freddie-mercury.jpg

Sheogoroth
2016-12-15, 04:33 PM
Magical tap shoes?

Jay R
2016-12-16, 08:06 AM
Magical tap shoes?

But be careful not to get the wrong ones. My character had a nice ruby pair, but in the middle of the song, when she tapped her heels together a third time, she disappeared, and woke up home in bed.