PDA

View Full Version : Faerun and the Dream Realm

j_spencer93
2016-12-12, 04:09 PM
Is there any place within Faerun that is close to the Demiplane of Dreams? It ties into our campaign closely and i want to start the players off in a location close to it. However, I can not recall ever hearing it connected to that Demiplane.

EDIT: Well if not, can anyone have any interesting ideas or thoughts in how to incorporate it into the campaign. For starters my players are actually figments of peoples dreams pulled from that realm and given form (they are all based on other campaign settings/shows).

Draco4472
2016-12-12, 08:14 PM
Your campaign, your world. Place portals to it wherever you want. Perhaps the players must sleep in certain locations to get there.

j_spencer93
2016-12-12, 08:38 PM
well that fine. I was just wondering if there was anything more concrete then that. So guess I will change my question slightly.

Millstone85
2016-12-12, 09:22 PM
Okay, hear me out:
* I read here and there that the Demiplane of Nightmares is where the influence of the Far Realm is felt the most.
* SCAG lists Dendar the Night Serpent among the Great Old Ones.
* VGtM reveals that beholders reproduce by dreaming new beholders into existence.

It raises the possibility that the Far Realm might not truly exist.
Deep speaking aberrations all began as nightmares given physical form.

Or maybe it is all true, as are those other settings your PCs remember.
But the only way from there to Faerūn was through the power of dreams.

Start them off in a town where some sort of aberration lurks.
Then go all pseudophilosophical with it.

M Placeholder
2016-12-13, 11:16 AM
Here's an article from Candlekeep (http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/regionofdreams.htm) on the Dream Realm in relation to the Realms.

In regards to the Night Serpent, in previous Lore it dwelled on the Fugue Plane in a cavern that overlooks the river that surrounds the City of Judgement. In folklore, Dendar will emerge from a door beneath the Peaks of Flame in Chult and attempt to swallow the sun, with Ubtao attempting to stop it.

As for the Dreamscapes, Neverwinter Nights - Mask of the Betrayer had sections where you had to enter the dreams of other beings to advance the story - including those of a covern of witches that absorbed the dreams of their unfortunate victims. One of the party members, Gann (a Spirit Shaman Hagspawn) had the ability to walk in Dreams, and he used it to appear in those of women and get laid.

Check out Mask of the Betrayer (which has an excellent story) for some ideas.

j_spencer93
2016-12-13, 11:35 AM
I forgot about Dendar, love that elder evil (or great old one or whatever it is in this addition). Played mask of the betrayer, was pretty good actually. Thanks for the ideas, have an idea of what I want to do now.