PDA

View Full Version : Here is a gift for any players about to start a new online game.

Giant2005
2016-12-12, 06:03 PM
Just send your DM this link (http://www.charactersheet.net/rpg/dice-roller/584f0658-7010-4a61-9d2e-498fadecb046) as evidence of your great rolls, and enjoy your stupidly OP character.

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 06:10 PM
Results: 15 (4/5/6) 18 (4/5/6) 18 (4/5/6) 16 (4/5/6) 11 (4/5/6) 16 (4/5/6) Thanks for the broken rolls m8 using this in my next game ;)

Guiha
2016-12-12, 06:13 PM
Meh. If you don't like rolling dices, then talk to your DM about switching to something else. I mean, what's the point of rolling dies if you'll just pick a bunch of predefined numbers? And lying to your DM? Well, if you want to be that competitive just go play some, uh, you know, competitive game.

Yagyujubei
2016-12-12, 06:15 PM
any DM that would accept this is either a moron or doesn't care if his PT is op as hell.

any game I'm running the players are rolling right in front of my eyeballs with no do-overs. they get 4d6d1x6 and if they don't like the result they get standard array

PhantomSoul
2016-12-12, 06:17 PM
As long as they don't think to look at when the dice were rolled...! ("Rolled: 2016-12-12 12:19:36")

Ravinsild
2016-12-12, 06:20 PM
As long as they don't think to look at when the dice were rolled...! ("Rolled: 2016-12-12 12:19:36")

based on all the results being 6/5/4 all 6 stats would be straight 15 anyway so nothing about this makes any sense.

adonis53
2016-12-12, 08:08 PM
Wow! That's awesome!

(Only if you're a lying douche.... But hey, if that's what you are-)

Draco4472
2016-12-12, 08:17 PM
I got 15 (3/6/6) 11 (3/6/6) 8 (3/6/6) 10 (3/6/6) 12 (3/6/6) 11 (3/6/6).

Point buy would've gotten me better.

Meh. Not like I play online as of yet.

Hrugner
2016-12-12, 08:24 PM
I couldn't imagine a DM accepting this. If a player wanted to use this dice roller to generate their stats in a game I was running, I'd be the one pushing the button on my end. How we do things now is in roll20, simple and public.

Yagyujubei
2016-12-12, 08:30 PM
once I had a DM let my group roll the 4d6d1 array two times and pick the better of the two, and then on top of that drop the lowest number of the array we picked and roll another 4d6d1 for it....go find him I'm sure he would be totally fine with this.

granted the session dissolved after just a few meetings because he wasnt good at it, but if you want good stats he's yur man

Asmotherion
2016-12-12, 08:43 PM
If someone was so desperate to cheat on a game that's suposed to be for having a good time with your friends, I'd propably let them get away with it out of pity... -_-

I mean, I don't even get the point in doing that... it's just lame. Like, "roll when the DM is not looking and picking up the die, then proceed to telling a random high number I want"-kind of lame. If you don't like the random factor, 5e can esentially be played without dice, using some variant rules and light homebrew rules.

If you hate games, oh, please proceed to do that. Or go DM and make characters with 20s around the board. Like, why even bother?

In any case, I use a homebrew point buy system, that's basically point-by-poit, starts at 10 and you have 30 points to distribute. Why? Because if there is one thing I hate more than cheap loosers who cheat on a friendly RPG, is cheap whiners who roll bad scores and then try to commit suiside in-game so I allow them to re-roll a new character. Point buy is equal, and this way everyone stays happy.

Toofey
2016-12-12, 09:27 PM
if a player brought this to me I would allow it, that said I would probably allow it by saying "if you want to cheat just cheat" as IDGAF in general as a dm about this type of stuff.

I really truly think people need to want to play their character. I think flaws make a good character but there are more kinds of flaw than just bad stats. Characters who are arrogant, thoughtlessly kind (getting themselves robbed etc...), fearless to the point of compulsion, without flexibility, all of these can be perfectly sufficient flaws to give a character for depth even if their player decided to take straight 18s.

sorry the grammar got confused there, but you know what I mean.

rlc
2016-12-12, 10:40 PM
Meh. If you don't like rolling dices, then talk to your DM about switching to something else. I mean, what's the point of rolling dies if you'll just pick a bunch of predefined numbers? And lying to your DM? Well, if you want to be that competitive just go play some, uh, you know, competitive game.

Dice. I wouldn't nornally bother correcting this, but you used the wrong plural twice.
Original Roll: 4d6x6s1

Edit: Results: 13 (2/5/6) 8 (2/5/6) 10 (2/5/6) 13 (2/5/6) 10 (2/5/6) 12 (2/5/6)
I guess that's what I get.

Guiha
2016-12-12, 10:41 PM
all of these can be perfectly sufficient flaws to give a character for depth even if their player decided to take straight 18s.

A character can still have all those flaws with normal stats. But if someone has a way more op stat build, then this player can outshine the rest of the party in combat and in social stuff. It's pretty boring when someone tries to be better than the rest of the group to a point of doing everything alone. Believe me, I used to play with a guy who did this. Just go play a solo game.

Edit:
Dice. I wouldn't nornally bother correcting this, but you used the wrong plural twice.
Thank you very much. I never knew how to use it and I didn't even realize I misspelled. Not my first language :smalltongue:

Giant2005
2016-12-12, 11:52 PM
I couldn't imagine a DM accepting this. If a player wanted to use this dice roller to generate their stats in a game I was running, I'd be the one pushing the button on my end. How we do things now is in roll20, simple and public.

That right there is actually why I rolled this array up.
I'm in a game where we were explicitly instructed to make our rolls in Roll20, yet one player ignored that and rolled elsewhere and posted one of those links as evidence of his rolls.
I then took the time to roll up this array just to point out how useless such links are as a form of evidence.

Toofey
2016-12-13, 01:13 PM
A character can still have all those flaws with normal stats. But if someone has a way more op stat build, then this player can outshine the rest of the party in combat and in social stuff. It's pretty boring when someone tries to be better than the rest of the group to a point of doing everything alone. Believe me, I used to play with a guy who did this. Just go play a solo game.

Yeah, but if I was allowing one person in the group to do this I would open it up to everyone, I do agree about not letting any one character become the game. It's not that hard to correct for as a DM that you need people to be bad at anything (per-say) to get there.

Captain Panda
2016-12-13, 01:27 PM
And this is why I require players to roll while I watch for it to count. Funnily enough, the number of 18s shrinks considerably that way.

Ravinsild
2016-12-13, 03:33 PM
And this is why I require players to roll while I watch for it to count. Funnily enough, the number of 18s shrinks considerably that way.

I've never rolled an 18 before but I have rolled a 17! Which almost feels worse than just a 16...Odd numbers just don't feel good :(

furby076
2016-12-16, 12:16 AM
if a player brought this to me I would allow it, that said I would probably allow it by saying "if you want to cheat just cheat" as IDGAF in general as a dm about this type of stuff.

I really truly think people need to want to play their character. I think flaws make a good character but there are more kinds of flaw than just bad stats. Characters who are arrogant, thoughtlessly kind (getting themselves robbed etc...), fearless to the point of compulsion, without flexibility, all of these can be perfectly sufficient flaws to give a character for depth even if their player decided to take straight 18s.

sorry the grammar got confused there, but you know what I mean.

I agree. Let the players play what they want. My only thing is the players at the table are roughly equal and unique. So if someone has 15+ all around, everyone else should. ..so they dont get over shadowed. If it makes the players feel awesome to be super heroes (nothing wrong with that) then its a win,
As a DM i can easily fix this by giving every monster +1ac, +1 to hit, +1 to damage and plus 10%hp. None of the pkayers would know. They are happy, i am happy. WIN

Knaight
2016-12-16, 01:32 AM
This is a pretty good argument for point buy for online games right here.

Potato_Priest
2016-12-16, 01:46 AM
I've never rolled an 18 before but I have rolled a 17! Which almost feels worse than just a 16...Odd numbers just don't feel good :(

Odd numbers just mean you have more race options! For example, if I want to be a wizard and I get a 16, i'd probably play a gnome, but with a 17 I might play a high elf, human or gnome. Don't worry, I've never gotten higher than 17 either.