PDA

View Full Version : Optimization UA And PHB Only Level 1 Killer Build

JNAProductions
2016-12-12, 06:55 PM
See restrictions in the title. 27 point buy, standard HP and all that. I don't keep up with UA, so what's a good killer build with that available?

MrStabby
2016-12-12, 07:10 PM
For level 1 play? Well this UA:

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf

More HP than anyone (from dice)
Better saves than anyone (Wis and Dex)
Access to probably the best skills, and in your strong stats
Fighting style.

Probably best with a bow but dual wielding is pretty strong at 1st level.

EDIT:

I forgot to add the ambuscade ability to the list - kind of the point of the whole thing. It is absurdly powerful - a free turn in every combat.

JNAProductions
2016-12-12, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Mr. Stabby!

Xetheral
2016-12-12, 07:16 PM
See restrictions in the title. 27 point buy, standard HP and all that. I don't keep up with UA, so what's a good killer build with that available?

Variant Human Alternate (Not Revised) Ranger, with Alert feat. Get a 16 Dex. Take whatever Background gives the most expensive equipment, and sell it all back for half. Buy as much alchemsists' fire as possible. Turn 1: attack with TWF, throwing flasks of alchemists fire. Ambuscade: attack with TWF throwing flasks of alchemists fire. You deal 4d6 damage plus splash damage on the first round of your first combat. Hope you get enough treasure to buy more alchemists fire, because you're probably out after that.

Edit: Actually, Ambuscade happens before turn 1, but it doesn't matter, since both of your turns that round are identical.

Edit2: This does more damage than a greatsword only if there are at least 2 enemies within 5 feet of the main target to take splash damage.

Edit3: And the enemies lose their next turns putting the fires out or else they take damage again the next round.

Hrugner
2016-12-12, 07:57 PM
Pirate variant of sailor background, immortal mystic with psychic weapon and mind vault, variant human with polearm mastery. Stats more or less irrelevant I think, but pushing str and con hard. Your nova is 2+strmodx2+1d10+1d4+4d10 standard is 2+strmodx2+1d10+1d4, you can be proficient in any skill outside of combat, get dark vision as a human, magic weapon from level 1, and AC 16. If your DM thinks the by the letter of PaM is legit, then use a quarter staff and shield instead of a glaive or halberd for the AC18.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf

You should be able to comfortably over come any one specific threat at level one.