PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Avoiding Detect evil

Dayaz
2016-12-12, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know of a failproof way to hide your alignment from a paladin? I might be getting into a game soon, but there's already a paladin there who i don't want to know that I'm evil.

Books and pages would be appreciated.

Psyren
2016-12-12, 07:14 PM
Paladins don't have Detect Good, so you're all set :smalltongue:

More helpfully, lead sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html). Or just use Nondetection/Mind Blank

Dayaz
2016-12-12, 07:15 PM
Wow i derped. I ment detect evil...

legomaster00156
2016-12-12, 07:18 PM
Besides lead sheeting, you could also use the Undetectable Alignment spell (it lasts 24 hours per casting) or a magical item with a similar effect.

Jowgen
2016-12-12, 07:18 PM
There is no shortage of options.

I recommend Cloak of Khyber (City of Stormreach p. 59), a 3rd level Wizard spell with a CL/day duration. If needed, you can get it in an eternal wand (Magic Item Compendium) or a Minor Schema (Magic of Eberron). It's advantage is that it works against ANY form of Divination. Also, if you go undercover with a long term shapechange or magical disguise, it counters True Seeing (which is unique).

barakaka
2016-12-12, 07:22 PM
You don't even need that. You can take a feat called Mind Mask in the Eberron book: Secrets of Sarlona pg 117.

Deophaun
2016-12-12, 07:29 PM
Just make a DC 70 Bluff check and you're fine.

flappeercraft
2016-12-12, 07:46 PM
Misdirection spell. Nuff said

inuyasha
2016-12-13, 12:36 PM
Besides lead sheeting, you could also use the Undetectable Alignment spell (it lasts 24 hours per casting) or a magical item with a similar effect.

I second this one, my current campaign has an infernal blooded tiefling sorcerer in Ravenloft, and she wears an amulet with a continual Undetectable Alignment spell, as well as a hat of disguise to hide the horns, and they work wonders.

Jay R
2016-12-13, 02:08 PM
Have a plan for what you will do when (not if) the paladin eventually finds out.

Zanos
2016-12-13, 02:14 PM
There is no shortage of options.

I recommend Cloak of Khyber (City of Stormreach p. 59), a 3rd level Wizard spell with a CL/day duration. If needed, you can get it in an eternal wand (Magic Item Compendium) or a Minor Schema (Magic of Eberron). It's advantage is that it works against ANY form of Divination. Also, if you go undercover with a long term shapechange or magical disguise, it counters True Seeing (which is unique).
Cloak of Khyber does nothing by itself, it only makes existing magical disguises inscrutable.

As already mentioned undetectable alignment is the easiest option, maybe on a wand or something.

Telonius
2016-12-13, 02:22 PM
Master of Masks (Complete Scoundrel p 52) is a PrC that lets you display various alignments depending on which mask you're wearing.

Jowgen
2016-12-13, 04:47 PM
Cloak of Khyber does nothing by itself, it only makes existing magical disguises inscrutable.

You are mistaken. To quote the spell:

A cloak of Khyber conceals the caster’s alignment from any form of divination. More important, it shields a shapechanged or magically disguised creature from true seeing, causing the disguise to appear to be the caster’s true form.

The alignment concealment and the true seeing counter are completely seperate. The fun thing about the concealment thing is that "any divination" is a darn big category, including things like Legend Lore and Commune (e.g. Caster: "Oh great Vecna, God of all secrets, what alignment is the mortal known as Bob?" Vecna: "Sorry, can't tell ya, mate.")

Telonius
2016-12-13, 04:52 PM
You are mistaken. To quote the spell:

The alignment concealment and the true seeing counter are completely seperate. The fun thing about the concealment thing is that "any divination" is a darn big category, including things like Legend Lore and Commune (e.g. Caster: "Oh great Vecna, God of all secrets, what alignment is the mortal known as Bob?" Vecna: "Sorry, can't tell ya, mate.")

Better: "I'd tell you, but ..."
:smallcool:
"It's a secret."

Esprit15
2016-12-13, 05:27 PM
Further support for Undetectable Alignment. Cast it in the morning, keep your evil behavior hidden, and max that bluff when people ask you awkward questions like "Do you believe turning families into shadows is morally wrong?"

Aharon
2016-12-13, 05:35 PM
Use Nystul's Magic Aura to give one of your items an overwhelming evil aura, so he gets stunned before finding out your own alignment. Tell him you're aware that you're carrying an evil artifact, but that you intend to destroy it (or just that you acquired it legally, it's yours and you don't intend to part with it).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-13, 05:47 PM
If you can pull something in from Pathfinder, the oracle's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/) Unchained curse removes your alignment entirely once you've gained a few levels. No, you're not Neutral. You literally have no alignment at all.

At 5th level, you have no alignment. You can become a member of any class, even one with an alignment requirement, and can never lose your membership because of a change in alignment. If you violate the code of ethics of any of your classes, you might still lose access to certain features of such classes, subject to GM discretion. Attempts to detect your alignment don't return any results. If a class restricts you from casting spells with an alignment descriptor, you can cast such spells without restrictions or repercussions. If you're the target of a spell or effect that is based on alignment, you're treated as the most favorable alignment when determining the spell's effect on you. Any effects that alter alignment have no effect on you.

Non-oracle levels stack at half-progression with oracle levels for the purposes of curses, so an oracle 1/something else 8 would receive that curse benefit.

LordOfCain
2016-12-13, 06:59 PM
If you can pull something in from Pathfinder, the oracle's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/) Unchained curse removes your alignment entirely once you've gained a few levels. No, you're not Neutral. You literally have no alignment at all.

Non-oracle levels stack at half-progression with oracle levels for the purposes of curses, so an oracle 1/something else 8 would receive that curse benefit.
So its exactly how alignment should be...

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-12-13, 07:16 PM
So its exactly how alignment should be...Why do you think I like it so much?