PDA

View Full Version : 4th-5th level GOO Tome Warlock; what to take

Vaz
2016-12-12, 09:21 PM
I'm currently playing a 4th level Warlock. I am primarily an Eldritch Blast (ab)user, and think that I should be increasing in level tonight, and wondering what I should take.

I have Book of Secrets and Agonizing Blast. I get another spell known, of 3rd level, and can swap one previous known spell for a 3rd level, as well as another Invocation.

Thinking of picking up Beguiling Influence, or Mire the Mind. I have Armor of Agathys and a Con of 16, and rolled very well for HP, so thinking of Vampiric Touch as my other CC stats are gash.

Maybe Tongues to understand what my Patron is saying to me (RP point) or try and pick it up Comprehend Language as a Ritual, or Fly, so that I can just rain hell down with my Eldritch Blasts.

An alternative is swap Hex for Hunger of Hadar and Repelling Blast for a 20ft Knockback into the area.

Regulas
2016-12-12, 10:55 PM
Just some basic comments:

Spells:
- I don't find Vampiric touch really worth it till 7th or 9th level, as 3d6 is kind of pisspoor even given the healing aspect (Your average dmg barley matches the minimum dmg from blast lol). At 5d6 however it's not so far behind and heals a lot more.

- Hungar of Hadar is thematically awesome so I'd say go for it just for coolness.

-Otherwise anything goes, I don't think there's anything else on the list that would be bad to take (since even tongues and the like have strong thematic value).

For Invocations I'm not a huge fan of the "once per day spells" that still take a slot (they're not even that great of spells, except polymorph and the elemental one), so I'd recommend beguiling influence (I'm assuming your not proficient with either) or well pretty much any invocations even Jump over the mire the mind.

Captain Morgan
2016-12-13, 12:55 AM
I wouldn't ditch Hex. As a 3rd level spell it can last 8 hours, meaning you can essentially have it up between short rests without burning a slot which is pretty amazing. And while I know the extra damage is a little boring, it's incredible for making enemies fail saves or checks in or out of combat. Really great if you need, say, charm person to stick.

SharkForce
2016-12-13, 02:03 AM
I wouldn't ditch Hex. As a 3rd level spell it can last 8 hours, meaning you can essentially have it up between short rests without burning a slot which is pretty amazing. And while I know the extra damage is a little boring, it's incredible for making enemies fail saves or checks in or out of combat. Really great if you need, say, charm person to stick.

checks are not saves. saves are not checks.

hex can help keep someone from making the strength check to escape a web after they've been caught. it can do nothing to make them fail the dexterity save to avoid being caught in the first place.

still, hex is good. lots of things are checks, including initiative, escaping webs, escaping grapples, spotting hidden things, etc. for all the stuff it does, i personally would keep it around.