View Full Version : DM Help Tarp of Fondling

Tegu8788
2016-12-12, 09:57 PM
So, a player of mine somehow drastically misremembered the name for a Bag of Holding, and now the Tarp of Fondling exists in our game.

Tarp of foundling.
Lvl 6 magic item.
Neck slot.
Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property
You can use Charisma for attack rolls on Melee Basic Attacks.
Daily
No Action
Trigger: You hit an enemy within 2 squares of you with an attack. That enemy is grabbed. As a minor action you can sustain the grab.

Now, this is a first time ever player, among several others. Despite criting almost every Diplomacy roll, her first suggestion every time is to "jiggle." I've given her this item, per her request, along with some other goodies for the party. What they don't know is that the tarp is cursed, and in fact the items had been laid as a trap for it. This cursed item will start causing her to grant CA at inopportune times. Then, it will start dazing her.

My question is, how often should I trigger these? I figure for each time she uses the property it saves a charge for CA, and each time the Daily power is used charges the Daze. Thoughts?

MwaO
2016-12-13, 08:59 AM
So, a player of mine somehow drastically misremembered the name for a Bag of Holding, and now the Tarp of Fondling exists in our game.

Tarp of foundling.
Lvl 6 magic item.
Neck slot.
Enhancement Bonus: Fortitude, Reflex, and Will
Property
You can use Charisma for attack rolls on Melee Basic Attacks.
Daily
No Action
Trigger: You hit an enemy within 2 squares of you with an attack. That enemy is grabbed. As a minor action you can sustain the grab.

Now, this is a first time ever player, among several others. Despite criting almost every Diplomacy roll, her first suggestion every time is to "jiggle." I've given her this item, per her request, along with some other goodies for the party. What they don't know is that the tarp is cursed, and in fact the items had been laid as a trap for it. This cursed item will start causing her to grant CA at inopportune times. Then, it will start dazing her.

My question is, how often should I trigger these? I figure for each time she uses the property it saves a charge for CA, and each time the Daily power is used charges the Daze. Thoughts?

I'd relate it to misses. So if she misses with the melee basic attack or the grab, 1-2 rounds after, she gets distracted via the CA/Daze.

ThePurple
2016-12-13, 02:46 PM
My question is, how often should I trigger these?

I would probably make it a property rather than a power something like, "Property: The first time you are bloodied each encounter, you grant CA until the end of your next turn. In addition, the first time each encounter that you miss with a roll of 1 on an attack, you are dazed (s/e)." The explanation for the daze(s/e) would then be that the character was originally going to hit and the tarp they're wearing suddenly activates and starts uncomfortably fondling them, making them miss (such that the curse is at narrative fault, rather than the player).

Tegu8788
2016-12-14, 09:27 AM
I like these ideas better. And less tracking work for me.

dadada
2017-02-03, 12:06 AM
Picture this: the player just sustains the grab every turn. Worse, they could get rid of lots of monsters just by having the elf wear it during extended rests and having him sustain it! Please, make some changes!

Tegu8788
2017-02-03, 12:28 AM
So far it doesn't happen, but this player isn't tactical enough to try that. And as a Deva that's very concerned about coming back dark, she's not gonna sustain a grab after battle. Bards, they aren't known for great defenses.

OldSalt
2017-02-03, 09:09 AM

Tarp of foundling.

Wouldn't a Tarp of Foundling produce mysteriously sourced small children?