PDA

View Full Version : Almorel

j_spencer93
2016-12-13, 03:10 PM
Is there any information concerning Almorel in 5th edition? I have looked, even at the Forgotten Realms wiki and they have surprisingly little.

lunaticfringe
2016-12-13, 09:46 PM
Wrong side of the Map. The Sword Coast is on the other end. I wouldn't hold my breath homebrew your own version. Remember Ao hit reset so you can revert it to a previous edition if you like. I resurrected Skullport.

j_spencer93
2016-12-13, 10:55 PM
Honestly that is exactly what i was expecting to hear. Would be nice to get the rest of the world detailed.

Arkhios
2016-12-14, 09:22 AM
Honestly that is exactly what i was expecting to hear. Would be nice to get the rest of the world detailed.

Do you have any idea how much work that would take? WotC employees are relatively few in number and probably have their hands full with all sorts of things they're not entitled to leak to the public. No doubt they are currently making the next big book which is why the lead designers are so heavily invested in the new Sub-class options via Unearthed Arcana. I really doubt they are doing all the work for ****s'n'giggles. There has got to be some profit to be gained from it.

Honestly, just resurrect whatever you can from time before 4th edition, and whatever you can't find, make it up yourself. It's your game, your version of the world, and no one can take it from you.

Regitnui
2016-12-14, 11:58 AM
WotC employees are relatively few in number and probably have their hands full with Eberron

They're busy with Eberron. Eberron is coming next year. I'm expecting it.

NecroDancer
2016-12-14, 01:23 PM
Eberron, Dark Sun, and Planescape. Anything but the Forgetten Realms.

lunaticfringe
2016-12-14, 01:51 PM
Eberron, Dark Sun, and Planescape. Anything but the Forgetten Realms.

Lol I have no problem with that. I like them all better than FR. Started roleplaying with Dark Sun, moved to Planescape, Eberron was the only reason I played 3.5.

Arkhios
2016-12-14, 03:10 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Not until they give a solid hint that explicitly mentions anything Eberron specific. So far it's guess-work at best and wishful thinking at worst.

Regitnui
2016-12-14, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Not until they give a solid hint that explicitly mentions anything Eberron specific. So far it's guess-work at best and wishful thinking at worst.

Stop ruining my dreams.

Arkhios
2016-12-15, 12:44 AM
Stop ruining my dreams.

I share your dreams, I just prefer keeping my feet firmly grounded. It hurts less to fall if/when the dreams come crashing down.

Asmotherion
2016-12-15, 01:24 AM

Hopefully...

Unfortunatelly the D&D stuff seems more buissy making up Unearthed Arcana for everything, instead of focusing on new books, settings, pre-made towns etc.

To be honest, I had enough Class options with my PHB to play the game. What I really would apreciate is more in-depth maps of towns, specific taverns and (wild hope here) more Pre-made NPCs to use... personality wise.

I'd like to see a book that gives me "Rowik, the specific Mountain Dwarf that loves to drink orange juice and hates Ale and Beer, is not interested in stonework or mineing whatsoever, and never had a passion for the forge. He is an aspiring wizard's aprentice, and already knows a few cantrips, though he usually messes his 1st level spells" or "Miradia, the miniature elf. Standing only 3'6'' most people confuse her for a gnome. Eventhough she is short, she is of great beuty, so her friends usually call her Pixie". Wile she is mostly stoic to everything, deep down she has a very good heart, and will go out of her way to heal those in need with divine magic."

Arkhios
2016-12-15, 01:29 AM
Hopefully...

Unfortunatelly the D&D stuff seems more buissy making up Unearthed Arcana for everything, instead of focusing on new books, settings, pre-made towns etc.

To be honest, I had enough Class options with my PHB to play the game. What I really would apreciate is more in-depth maps of towns, specific taverns and (wild hope here) more Pre-made NPCs to use... personality wise.

I'd like to see a book that gives me "Rowik, the specific Mountain Dwarf that loves to drink orange juice and hates Ale and Beer, is not interested in stonework or mineing whatsoever, and never had a passion for the forge. He is an aspiring wizard's aprentice, and already knows a few cantrips, though he usually messes his 1st level spells" or "Miradia, the miniature elf. Standing only 3'6'' most people confuse her for a gnome. Eventhough she is short, she is of great beuty, so her friends usually call her Pixie". Wile she is mostly stoic to everything, deep down she has a very good heart, and will go out of her way to heal those in need with divine magic."

Did you consider that making up articles for Unearthed Arcana could actually be a public playtest effort for making new books, settings, etc. in the foreseeable future, with the help of the player-base (us) for feedback whether or not something works. Just saying, they did 5th edition like this... I don't believe they would be doing all those articles just for fun and games. They get paid for what they do, so why not make something that could be used for a future book.

Asmotherion
2016-12-15, 02:04 AM
Did you consider that making up articles for Unearthed Arcana could actually be a public playtest effort for making new books, settings, etc. in the foreseeable future, with the help of the player-base (us) for feedback whether or not something works. Just saying, they did 5th edition like this... I don't believe they would be doing all those articles just for fun and games. They get paid for what they do, so why not make something that could be used for a future book.

Fair enough... though the vast majority of UA doesn't need to be playtested to see it's over powered.

Arkhios
2016-12-15, 02:22 AM
Fair enough... though the vast majority of UA doesn't need to be playtested to see it's over powered.

Feedback is valuable part of playtest nonetheless. You can't get feedback if you don't post anything for review, don't you think? :smallamused:

Asmotherion
2016-12-15, 02:49 AM
Feedback is valuable part of playtest nonetheless. You can't get feedback if you don't post anything for review, don't you think? :smallamused:

True. I just feel they focus too much on quantity, and a little less on quality, which goes in contrast to how core 5e is designed... Making me feel a bit confused XD I'd apreciate it if UA had more balanced suggestions.

Regitnui
2016-12-15, 03:06 AM
I share your dreams, I just prefer keeping my feet firmly grounded. It hurts less to fall if/when the dreams come crashing down.

I had that happen with SKT. I'll keep hoping and keep expecting.

Hopefully...
What I really would apreciate is more in-depth maps of towns, specific taverns and (wild hope here) more Pre-made NPCs to use... personality wise.

So... Precisely what you're supposed to be doing as a character/DM? /irony

In all seriousness, they don't need to flesh out the setting details. 3.5 has done that for Eberron, with the older editions fleshing out the others. I already know that Thaliost has a mixed population of patriotic Thranes and disgruntled Aundairans living as upper and lower class respectively. I need to know how to build a House Thuranni player character or if the Ghaash'kala orc barbarians have a special anti-fiend mechanic or subclass. That's what the UA should be for; translating concepts and classes from previous editions into 5e.

Arkhios
2016-12-15, 03:15 AM
True. I just feel they focus too much on quantity, and a little less on quality, which goes in contrast to how core 5e is designed... Making me feel a bit confused XD I'd apreciate it if UA had more balanced suggestions.

Keep in mind that this is likely the first wave of many of these new sub-class options, and we're not getting the next book immediately after we've given feedback for these the first time. It's more than probable that there's going to be at least two more iterations before they fall in balanced and ready for production. (I wouldn't count on it ending there though. To me it seems they've only just begun the process of making the new content, whatever it may be.)

Regitnui
2016-12-15, 03:33 AM
Keep in mind that this is likely the first wave of many of these new sub-class options, and we're not getting the next book immediately after we've given feedback for these the first time. It's more than probable that there's going to be at least two more iterations before they fall in balanced and ready for production. (I wouldn't count on it ending there though. To me it seems they've only just begun the process of making the new content, whatever it may be.)

I get the impression that they're running up against a deadline of some sort. Maybe another player options book soon.

Noldo
2016-12-15, 03:56 AM

In a sense they might get more useful feedback if the material errs somewhat on either side. If they know that the UA is probably slightly on powerful side, the feedback (and potential suggestions on how to fix it) could be more fruitful for further development than balanced option that does not inspire much of a response.

And players are more eager to try new bits that are on a powerful side, giving them more feedback to work with.