PDA

View Full Version : Werewolf-Kin Hunter

Afgncaap5
2016-12-13, 04:15 PM
So, how would you go about building a level 5 or 6 character who hunted creatures that are conceptually werewolves even if they weren't specifically werewolves as listed in the monster manual?

If we were just talking about werewolves specifically, a ranger with a focus on monstrous humanoids would fit (even if it had a weird knack for hunting other monstrous humanoids that might not make as much sense.) I'm trying to expand werewolf to include other creatures, though, ranging from NPC Shifters to the ever-growing Barghest to Rakshasa that resemble wolves instead of tigers, to anything that shapeshifts and has a vaguely wolf-like form. There's a number of anti-shape-shifter options out there, but I'm not sure how to take them without also having someone who's able to pick fights with Dopplegangers just as easily.

barakaka
2016-12-13, 07:49 PM
You're basically looking at the Eberron books for this. Races of Eberron specifically has a few spells devoted to returning Shifters and Lycanthropes to their original forms. You're really going to have a hard time being so specific though, as Doppelgangers and Changelings have such a similar mechanic.

I'm kind of unsure why it needs to be so targeted anyway. If a Shifter killed my family, I'd probably lump all shapechangers into the same grave.

Thurbane
2016-12-15, 12:02 AM
Lupin's are a race that get a racial bonus in combat against werewolves...

The problem with Ranger's favored enemies is that lycanthropes can be giants or humanoids, and humanoids need a specific subtype for FE.

You could ask the DM if he can just house rule Shapechanger subtype as a valid FE.

Diovid
2016-12-15, 04:35 AM
The problem with Ranger's favored enemies is that lycanthropes can be giants or humanoids, and humanoids need a specific subtype for FE.

You could ask the DM if he can just house rule Shapechanger subtype as a valif FE.
This reminded me, there are Paladin substitution levels in Champions of Valor that deal with fighting Lycanthropes (Crescent Moon Knight Substitution Levels specifically). The first substitution level gives Favored Enemy (lycanthropes).