PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Bard Assistance

Roll Me A D20
2016-12-13, 05:48 PM
I have a character who is going to be a bard who was a music teacher. What I am trying to figure out is a reason for a teacher to be out adventuring. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

BiPolar
2016-12-13, 05:57 PM
I have a character who is going to be a bard who was a music teacher. What I am trying to figure out is a reason for a teacher to be out adventuring. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

What spells/focus do you plan on for your bard? Could influence the why.

Roll Me A D20
2016-12-13, 05:59 PM
What spells/focus do you plan on for your bard? Could influence the why.

Currently party buff spells and spells like Calm Emotion

longshotist
2016-12-13, 06:03 PM

Publish or perish

Research

Incorporating real-world experience into lesson plan

Scouting a field trip

Leading a field trip...?

CantigThimble
2016-12-13, 06:04 PM
One of your students, a child of a noble house, went missing and you were under suspicion. You skipped town and are looking for a way to clear your name while avoiding recognition by the family's agents.

You received an interplanar message from an Efreet offering an exorbitant price for lessons in his home in the city of brass. You just aren't sure how to get there or survive on that plane if you do.

In order to get tenure at your bard college you need to produce an epic and you're looking for inspiration.

Biggstick
2016-12-13, 06:10 PM
Students have begun to doubt your abilities capabilities as a teacher. So you've decided to go out there and do something worthwhile to destroy all doubt in your students.

Maybe students have stopped coming to your school. No one cares to learn how to play a Lute anymore. Some say it's of no use to know how to play that sissy stringy thing. You've decided to close up shop for the time being to go out and look for adventure. You're not exactly sure what you're looking for, but action sounds appropriate.

You've grown weary of teaching students in your current area. They don't seem to have the zest that you had as a student. None seem to truly appreciate the differences between a Dulcimer, a Lute, and a Viol. You're on a journey to establish a new school where students can study in peace, and hopefully be as eager to learn as you were.

A legendary heirloom instrument that has been passed down for generations in your family has been stolen. You've never been out on an adventure yourself, but your grandfather's grandfather (or grandmother's grandmother) would look down upon you with shame if you didn't at least make an effort to retrieve it. The only evidence of the theft was a small clue...

These are just a few ideas. Could definitely make for some interesting reasons to go out on an adventure, depending on what type of personality you're trying to come off with.

Roll Me A D20
2016-12-13, 06:10 PM
One of your students, a child of a noble house, went missing and you were under suspicion. You skipped town and are looking for a way to clear your name while avoiding recognition by the family's agents.

You received an interplanar message from an Efreet offering an exorbitant price for lessons in his home in the city of brass. You just aren't sure how to get there or survive on that plane if you do.

In order to get tenure at your bard college you need to produce an epic and you're looking for inspiration.

These are great thank you!

Roll Me A D20
2016-12-13, 06:13 PM
Students have begun to doubt your abilities capabilities as a teacher. So you've decided to go out there and do something worthwhile to destroy all doubt in your students.

Maybe students have stopped coming to your school. No one cares to learn how to play a Lute anymore. Some say it's of no use to know how to play that sissy stringy thing. You've decided to close up shop for the time being to go out and look for adventure. You're not exactly sure what you're looking for, but action sounds appropriate.

You've grown weary of teaching students in your current area. They don't seem to have the zest that you had as a student. None seem to truly appreciate the differences between a Dulcimer, a Lute, and a Viol. You're on a journey to establish a new school where students can study in peace, and hopefully be as eager to learn as you were.

A legendary heirloom instrument that has been passed down for generations in your family has been stolen. You've never been out on an adventure yourself, but your grandfather's grandfather (or grandmother's grandmother) would look down upon you with shame if you didn't at least make an effort to retrieve it. The only evidence of the theft was a small clue...

These are just a few ideas. Could definitely make for some interesting reasons to go out on an adventure, depending on what type of personality you're trying to come off with.

These are awesome too. He will generally be a peace loving guy who tries to avoid conflict with words

RazDelacroix
2016-12-13, 06:18 PM
You never went looking for an adventure. But after your students made an astounding performance before nobility, you were showered with praise and invited to an after-party to commemorate your student's success. Now you wake up with a headache in the middle of NOWHERESVILLE, missing half of your clothes, there's lipstick visible on your sleeve, you are pretty certain that crumpled letter in your pocket is from a married noblewoman, and you realize you are awake riding atop a mule in the middle of this town.

The Shadowdove
2016-12-13, 11:21 PM
You are tired of teaching pampered rich kids how to sing and play instruments. Why should snotty Mariam darling or Fredrick thistledown receive so much praise and a grand audience, while you as their teacher had twice their skill at their age?

You're still young enough to make a name for yourself. It's time to take your earnings and hit the road. Find some inspiration and maybe a maiden or two. Perhaps even a strong deckhand, you never got the chance experiment in bard college.

Close down shop and make them wish they'd treated you with more respect when you come back a hero instead of a dead end instructor.

Finback
2016-12-14, 12:41 AM
You desperately needed the income, and a rich family offering a prestigious position teaching a young nobleman/woman to play and sing made your day. The trip seemed a little odd.. you were shunted from one carriage, to another, and another, and heading into more and more wild landscapes. You arrived at the foot of a mountain, as the rickety old wagon rolled away. After a while, a few kobolds appeared, and after a short argument, they dragged you inside.

Yes, you *are* going to be teaching a noble to sing and play. The dragon that kidnapped and is ransoming them wants their family to suffer the indignity of having an epic ballad being created by one of their own, and *you* are going to teach them to do it *right*.

Of course, you eventually managed to escape, but now you have a dragon with a grudge, a terrified young person in need of rescuing, and a rich family who want results, and your head because they want noone to know the truth.

JellyPooga
2016-12-14, 06:39 AM
Years of frustration at hearing your favourite songs being butchered by incompetent students, the pent up rage of putting up with bratty kids and tone deaf "artistes" and the insanity of having to deal with the nightmarish beauraucracy of the GMT (Guild of Music Teachers) have to be vented somewhere; why not take it out on the local bandits or that marauding giant? You're not in it for the money or the glory, it's all just catharsis for you. You adventure on your time off, it's all a relaxing holiday compared to...teaching [shudder]. Give me a nice stress free dungeon crawl any day...