PDA

View Full Version : energy substitution thundercold shuffle

mabriss lethe
2016-12-13, 07:33 PM
If, for the sake of argument, a prepared caster slapped on a bunch of energy altering metamagic to a single spell, would they all mesh together, or would they cancel each other out.

Example: Using Lightning Bolt as the base spell, Born of the Three Thunders, Energy Substituion (cold), Lord of the Uttercold, and just for giggles, energy substitution (acid)

If we applied them in that order would you wind up with a Bolt that dealt 50% Sonic damage, and 25% of Negative energy and Acid, or would the Energy Substitutions cancel out the 3 thunders/uttercold transformations? And what sources provide the answer?

Falcon X
2016-12-13, 07:48 PM
I can't think of specific precedence on this ruling, but some of it seems to be pretty straight-forward.
You can do what you are thinking about using Energy Admixture instead of Energy Substitution. Snowcasting does a similar effect. Three Thunders is a little screwy. But I think you are on to something.

Have you seen the classic Locate City Nuke (http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/22331104288/breaking-dd-35-the-locate-city-nuke).

mabriss lethe
2016-12-13, 08:35 PM
I can't think of specific precedence on this ruling, but some of it seems to be pretty straight-forward.
You can do what you are thinking about using Energy Admixture instead of Energy Substitution. Snowcasting does a similar effect. Three Thunders is a little screwy. But I think you are on to something.

Have you seen the classic Locate City Nuke (http://ihititwithmyaxe.tumblr.com/post/22331104288/breaking-dd-35-the-locate-city-nuke).

I'm familiar with the Locate City shenanigans (and why some versions don't work)

Admixture is actually a bit of a bigger fish. It actually doubles the damage (doing full damage of the original type+ full damage of the new energy type) but costs +4 spell levels to do it.

My exercise above is pretty pointless, for the most part. It was really just a bit of random theorycrafting. I honestly couldn't find anything that said what happened one way or another, and now I'm curious.