PDA

View Full Version : Booyagh Booyagh Booyagh - goblin wild magic sorcerer - oops?

8wGremlin
2016-12-13, 08:05 PM
Booyagh Booyagh Booyagh. This goblin is a sorcerer with the wild magic origin whose every casting, including cantrips, is accompanied by a wild magic surge. Use the mage stat block in the Monster Manual to represent this goblin, adding darkvision and the Nimble Escape traits common to all goblins. Each time the goblin casts a spell, there is an accompanying surge of wild magic; roll on the Wild Magic Surge table in the Player's Hand- book to determine the wild magic effect.

Could a player, play this?
I know it says "Use the mage stat block in the Monster Manual to represent this goblin, adding darkvision and the Nimble Escape traits common to all goblins."

cus if true that would be hilarious!

jaappleton
2016-12-13, 08:16 PM
I don't believe so. Goblins are playable now via Volo's Guide to Monsters, so you'd use their stats, not those.

Unless that IS from Volo's, in which case...

-slowly walks out, closes the door, hopes my DM never sees this-

Addaran
2016-12-13, 08:18 PM
Lots of people already houserule stuff for the Wild Mage, since there's very few chances that it happens, aside from the "if the DM wants" clause.

You could ask the DM to always surge. A few things to be careful about though. Tide of Chaos recharge when you surge, it would probably be too powerful to have it always recharge whenever you use a spell, especially if you allow cantrips to surge (you have infinite number of advantages when you want!) I'm also not sure if it would be okay to always surge on cantrips, that's a surge every turn, wich would greatly up the chance of fireball on the party, would slow down the fight always rolling for surge and theorically, there's more good surge then bad, so it's kinda a buff.

Erys
2016-12-13, 09:49 PM
Could a player, play this?
I know it says "Use the mage stat block in the Monster Manual to represent this goblin, adding darkvision and the Nimble Escape traits common to all goblins."

cus if true that would be hilarious!

I don't know where that text comes from; but since it says "this goblin" it probably is for a specific NPC and not for PC's. Call it a hunch.

What page did you pull this from?

lunaticfringe
2016-12-13, 10:07 PM
I don't know where that text comes from; but since it says "this goblin" it probably is for a specific NPC and not for PC's. Call it a hunch.

What page did you pull this from?

Your hunch sucks. Page 43 of Volo's, they are just goblin sorcerers

Erys
2016-12-13, 10:12 PM
Your hunch sucks. Page 43 of Volo's, they are just goblin sorcerers

After reading I see it is pretty clear, All the Booyahgs are NPCs.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-12-14, 04:34 AM
Lots of people already houserule stuff for the Wild Mage, since there's very few chances that it happens, aside from the "if the DM wants" clause.

You could ask the DM to always surge. A few things to be careful about though. Tide of Chaos recharge when you surge, it would probably be too powerful to have it always recharge whenever you use a spell, especially if you allow cantrips to surge (you have infinite number of advantages when you want!) I'm also not sure if it would be okay to always surge on cantrips, that's a surge every turn, wich would greatly up the chance of fireball on the party, would slow down the fight always rolling for surge and theorically, there's more good surge then bad, so it's kinda a buff.

I agree, this is potentially unbalancing, not to mention highly annoying.

Warning, a short tirade follows. I'd post a long one, but it's late. Thank you for understanding.

Wild Magic surges really inflame my hate glands. I realize some people get off on random insanity in their RPG, but I just don't see the entertainment value in having my character hanging out with some guy whose magic mojo is so completely out of control it might annihilate everyone in the group at any moment. And I must say, if the GM had the appallingly poor judgement to allow a house rule that every single spell cast by this magical miscreant caused a "wild surge", aka another terrifyingly random roll on the "WTF did that useless dweeb do this time?!" table, I would happily scratch off whatever alignment I had chosen for my currently highly annoyed character, write in "EVIL BUT SANE" as my new alignment, and proceed to viciously murder that sorcerous sociopath in his sleep as a public service to the rest of my adventuring party. Then I'd hand out all his gear to my companions whilst singing Kumbaya....

Well, that was fun. Next time... gratuitous Warlock dips!

lunaticfringe
2016-12-14, 04:54 AM
Lol I don't mind Surges, but then I play 40k RPGs. There is a post floating around the web that makes me laugh. A guy is ranting with rage about trying DH2. He rolled a Psyker and grabbed a Utility power, his group came across a simple skill check scenario in the first 5 minutes of the game. He decides to use his Power to help out, botches the roll, and blows up his entire group. All dead.

So it could be worse.

Addaran
2016-12-14, 12:49 PM
Wild Magic surges really inflame my hate glands. I realize some people get off on random insanity in their RPG, but I just don't see the entertainment value in having my character hanging out with some guy whose magic mojo is so completely out of control it might annihilate everyone in the group at any moment. And I must say, if the GM had the appallingly poor judgement to allow a house rule that every single spell cast by this magical miscreant caused a "wild surge", aka another terrifyingly random roll on the "WTF did that useless dweeb do this time?!" table, I would happily scratch off whatever alignment I had chosen for my currently highly annoyed character, write in "EVIL BUT SANE" as my new alignment, and proceed to viciously murder that sorcerous sociopath in his sleep as a public service to the rest of my adventuring party. Then I'd hand out all his gear to my companions whilst singing Kumbaya....

Personaly, i also hate Wild Mage. I don't like having random chances for wacky insane 0things to happen. But i understand objectively that if i liked Wild Mage ( and pretty much anyone who play one likes the concept, or they'd take dragonic sorcerer) the chance for surge to happen are too low.
The chance for fireball is extremely low if you fallow RAW though. There's a guide that compare the good and bad surges, and generaly, you want the surge to happen. http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468899-GUIDE-Playing-Dice-with-the-Universe-A-Slant-Guide-to-Wild-Magic-Sorcerer

Mostly, it's the random Feather-beard, blue skin and stuff like that I don't see a point for.

8wGremlin
2016-12-14, 02:28 PM
Mostly, it's the random Feather-beard, blue skin and stuff like that I don't see a point for.

But that is part of the RP charm of Wild magic.

Also, there isn't much choice for Sorcerers - Draconic, Wild, and now Storm. (officially)
Wild magic has been dnd canon for a very long time, 2nd ed had the precursor in I think.

Oramac
2016-12-14, 02:57 PM

Just make the Surge recharge on a 5-6 on a d6. Just like all kinds of other features/abilities in the game. This way it's just as random as the rest of the Wild Sorc, and it's not as susceptible to DM forgetfulness.

Addaran
2016-12-14, 03:16 PM
But that is part of the RP charm of Wild magic.

Also, there isn't much choice for Sorcerers - Draconic, Wild, and now Storm. (officially)
Wild magic has been dnd canon for a very long time, 2nd ed had the precursor in I think.

Personaly, i don't find it charming, but i do know a lot of people who enjoy it. That's why i said i can objectively say that wild surge really don't happen enough by RAW.

Yeah, there wasn't much choice for sorcerer. Dragonic still feel more generic then WM for most things though. i can't wait to see the sorcerer UA, with more options and hopefully one that is generic.