PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Argent Savant

ChaosStar
2016-12-13, 08:40 PM
I was looking through my books and I noticed something about the Argent Savant, this PrC doesn't actually require you to be an Arcane Caster. Weird right? What if someone who casts divine spells met the spell requirements for Argent Savant(or a variation via different energy types)? Would the Divine Caster not gain casting progression, as nothing specifically says that the spells have to be from an Arcane Caster. What do you all think?

Troacctid
2016-12-13, 08:55 PM
Yes, like many prestige classes, it's not specific to arcane magic and can be taken by arcane or divine casters.

ChaosStar
2016-12-13, 09:03 PM
Yes, like many prestige classes, it's not specific to arcane magic and can be taken by arcane or divine casters.

But what's weird is that the casting progression says "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class." So what happens when a Divine Caster takes the class? Is it just lost spellcasting levels then?

Venger
2016-12-13, 09:12 PM
But what's weird is that the casting progression says "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class." So what happens when a Divine Caster takes the class? Is it just lost spellcasting levels then?

No. Text always trumps table. You progress as normal in your prior spellcasting class.

ChaosStar
2016-12-13, 09:20 PM
No. Text always trumps table. You progress as normal in your prior spellcasting class.

But Text agrees with Table, both specify Arcane as the Casting type progressed. This class feels like they should of specified that the spells required needed to be Arcane. So I guess Divine Casters get no progression if they take this PrC. This is very weird.