PDA

View Full Version : Building a new character (bard/rogue)

Finback
2016-12-13, 10:20 PM
So, I'm just plotting out a potential new character (I like to carry spares, so to speak), and I'm thinking of a half-elf bard/rogue. But there's two questions:

1. Which would be the better starting class? Rogue has a big skill pool to draw from, and a MC into bard would give only that extra single skill. I'm thinking Rogue, and then into Bard later, which gives some spellcasting, but it also allows for the UA College of Blades. (relevant to #2)
2. As a Rogue, I was aiming for the Swashbuckler build - they're a buccaneer, who secretly spies for the highest bidder. The reason for jumping into Bard allows for the College of Blades, which offers some nice synergy in my mind. The two classes themselves have a nice alignment of Dex and Cha too.

Thoughts? I've never MCed any of my characters in any games before (either they, or the campaign, died first) so it's a new step for me.

bid
2016-12-14, 01:10 AM
Half elf has so many skills, you won't lose that much. Unless you really need that 8th proficiency, start bard.

Drackolus
2016-12-14, 01:52 AM
Half elf has so many skills, you won't lose that much. Unless you really need that 8th proficiency, start bard.

Counterpoint - all you lose from starting rogue is 2 instrument proficiencies.
They use the same hit dice too. Cha saves vs int saves is sort of not a big thing, though with your high cha having proficiency will be a nice save versus banishment and bane. Int is for saving against illusions. You really don't wanna be banished, but illusions are probably more common. I feel like I tend to make more weird cha saves than int, but ymmv.
Also, they have the same weapon proficiencies.
Skill and tool proficiencies are also slightly less strong because jack of all trades already gives you half (rounded down).
Still, having 9 profs can let you have every cha and dex skill AND insight and perception. If you like having performance or something.

Citan
2016-12-14, 05:33 AM
So, I'm just plotting out a potential new character (I like to carry spares, so to speak), and I'm thinking of a half-elf bard/rogue. But there's two questions:

1. Which would be the better starting class? Rogue has a big skill pool to draw from, and a MC into bard would give only that extra single skill. I'm thinking Rogue, and then into Bard later, which gives some spellcasting, but it also allows for the UA College of Blades. (relevant to #2)
2. As a Rogue, I was aiming for the Swashbuckler build - they're a buccaneer, who secretly spies for the highest bidder. The reason for jumping into Bard allows for the College of Blades, which offers some nice synergy in my mind. The two classes themselves have a nice alignment of Dex and Cha too.

Thoughts? I've never MCed any of my characters in any games before (either they, or the campaign, died first) so it's a new step for me.
Honestly, both are equally good. You will be a beast in skills anyways.

I would in your place decide solely on the secondary save I want.
And because I like balanced characters, I would probably want to start Rogue to have a decent save in both Charisma (eventually +5) and Intelligence (eventually +6).
But favoring a very strong Charisma save is equally good. Really a matter of taste.

Also, you are right, Swash and College of Swords mix perfectly. You are lucky to have a DM allowing all Unearthed Arcana content, so use it. ^^
And if you really want to use the "dagger throw" as your basic attack (considering the special College of Swords skill) you may want a Fighter level for Close-Quarter Shooter sometime, otherwise grab Mariner or don't bother...
Or you may want to grab a level of Draconic Sorcerer to get permanent 18 AC, Booming Blade and Shield...
Suggestions aimed at >8th character level or so though (you want both archetypes ASAP, and probably either 2 ASI or higher level spells, so you will have ample time to decide if any third class is worth anything for you or not).

Specter
2016-12-14, 08:57 AM
Nice one. Rogue/Bard fits the Social God concept easily, be sure to be the party's face. Also, it may be better to go Valor Bard instead of Blades Bard, but I could be wrong. Combat Inspiration goes a long way.

Finback
2016-12-14, 10:01 PM
You are lucky to have a DM allowing all Unearthed Arcana content, so use it. ^^

Well, at this point, this is entirely conjectural. When I DM, I'm pretty open - I have a player using the Khajit 3rd party race, because I read it, it sounded ok. I've also shared all the UAs with my players so they have lots of options available. I give recommendations where possible if they have an idea for a PC, and a UA build might facilitate it. (Several of my players are new to D&D, so the onus is more on having fun. I offer advice to give them interesting and fun builds, but point out where something might be terribly detrimental, and cause a No Fun situation).

At present, the group I play in is to my knowledge only using core materials (PHB, plus anything from official books - we have a deep gnome and a goliath on the team, for instance), but since I feel I can fairly assess if a build is unfairly powerful, I can discuss with our DM (who is one of my players) and see what we can achieve.

Finback
2016-12-14, 10:09 PM
Nice one. Rogue/Bard fits the Social God concept easily, be sure to be the party's face. Also, it may be better to go Valor Bard instead of Blades Bard, but I could be wrong. Combat Inspiration goes a long way.

Yeah, the goal is to be a spy who sailed the seas for a while, taking on various roles; if you've seen the series "Crossbones", the character of "Tom Lowe" is sort of where I'm aiming.