PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Kobold Optimization help for Adventure League

sflame56
2016-12-13, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone I was thinking after I finish up Storm King's Thunder I would play as a Kobold in the next campaign. In Volo's Guide to Monsters they are the newest race that has some quite interesting ups and downs. Going to post their info down for those that don't have the book.

+2 :smallsmile:Dex but -2 Str :smallfrown:

Darkvision

Grovel, Cower, Beg - Pretty much gives all allies advantage for a turn for all enemies is within ten feet of you and can see you. Refresh after every short and long rest.

Pack Tactics - Advantage when next to allies

Sunlight Sensitivity - Disadvantage on attack and Perception rolls against enemies on direct sunlight

Anyway there were a few idea I was thinking of going with them but I wanted to bounce it off others to see how to make this race the best they can be. For stats we will be doing the 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. Next we will be following Adventure league rules so since we are using Volo's Guide to Monsters we can't use other outside books for class. So no long death monk :smallfrown:

Biggest parts I need help with is which do you guys think is best to make the Kobold rise above its issues. Down below are ideas I had to make the race better.

Idea 1: BladeLock

Stat Distribution:
Str : 6 (-2)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 15 (+2)

With a blade lock you can make sure your sunlight sensitivity doesn't mess with you by making everything dark using the Darkness spell. Now you will always have advantage if you also have find familiar and have it next to the enemy. There is also the eldritch invocations thirsting blade (double attack) and Life drinker (Add charisma modifier to attack) for the pact of the blade. For ability score improvement thinking for first one either bumping up cha and con to 16 and 14 respectfully or getting a feat.

Idea 2: Arcane Trickster

Stat spread
Stat Distribution:
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 15 (+2)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 10 (+0)

Find familiar to give sneak attack and advantage whenever not in sunlight. When in direct sunlight you will always swing a normal hit thanks to pack tactics. Illusions are also awesome and can help make sure you character isn't run out of town for being a monster.

Idea 3: Beast master Ranger

Stat Distribution:
Con: 15 (+2)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 13 (+1)
Cha: 12 (+1)

You get an animal to fight with you to activate pack tactics. Get a wolf and both of you have advantage on every hit while you fight together. You can also ride your animal since you are small just make sure to get a med animal to do so. Could take mounted combat feat also for an added bonus.

Finally multi classing is an option but I don't really know what two classes would work the best together for a kobold. Another mention is Druid and its wild change going down the Moon path but I have no experience with this class so I don't fully know how good it is.

If you got feat ideas, class ideas, or anything else you think will the help the optimize the Kobold the most let me know.

Sigreid
2016-12-14, 12:23 AM
It's not on your list, and a lot of people hate the archetype, but pack tactics combined with the champion fighter's improved crit could get really nasty really quickly. Perhaps some kind of a champion/rogue combo to take advantage of multiple attacks, high chance of critting (relatively speaking) and sneak attack dice?

sflame56
2016-12-14, 03:01 AM
It's not on your list, and a lot of people hate the archetype, but pack tactics combined with the champion fighter's improved crit could get really nasty really quickly. Perhaps some kind of a champion/rogue combo to take advantage of multiple attacks, high chance of critting (relatively speaking) and sneak attack dice?

I can see the damage output out of them. Adding all the damage from a sneak attack, normal damage, and double damage from a crit you can deal massive amounts of damage. By rolling two d 20s you got a higher chance to crit. The issue is your relaying on a crit that might never come with champion. With battle master or eldritch knight you get more options to use that can out damage the crit over time. Still though it could work would just need to play test it.

deathadder99
2016-12-14, 05:28 AM
I can see the damage output out of them. Adding all the damage from a sneak attack, normal damage, and double damage from a crit you can deal massive amounts of damage. By rolling two d 20s you got a higher chance to crit. The issue is your relaying on a crit that might never come with champion. With battle master or eldritch knight you get more options to use that can out damage the crit over time. Still though it could work would just need to play test it.

Another cool thing about Kobold is that instead of thinking of pack-tactics as advantage, think of it as never having disadvantage. This means you can use a heavy weapon as a small character and so long as you position yourself well, you'll always be swinging without disadvantage, which allows you to go use GWM etc... unfortunately the -2 to strength somewhat hinders that, but hey.

Sigreid
2016-12-14, 07:27 AM

Not really, you'd still have a solid beat down machine, just with more regular spikes. You are correct that you shouldn't depend on crits, but if you can optimize your chance of getting them without really nerfing your normal attacks, it's a pretty good deal. Think of it this way, champion 5/rogue x would consistently get 2 shots at a sneak attack per round. 3 if you dual wield.

Spacehamster
2016-12-14, 10:22 AM
Moon Druid, throws out sunlight sensitivity when in beast form so you just get the good parts. :)

TundraBuccaneer
2016-12-14, 12:09 PM
Moon Druid, throws out sunlight sensitivity when in beast form so you just get the good parts. :)

And the DM might allow you to keep pack tactics since its a tactic and not a physical ability.

Spacehamster
2016-12-14, 12:46 PM
And the DM might allow you to keep pack tactics since its a tactic and not a physical ability.

Yeah pack tactics carries over according to the rules, that's what I meant with you keep the perks and do away with the drawback. :)